• 10,058,682 Posts
• 402,657 Topics
• 23,009 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BREAKING: Kendall Rogers reporting Matt Hobbs from Wake Forest hired to replace  (Read 4583 times)

Paul Westerhawg

Matt Hobbs from Wake Forest  to replace Wes Johnson, according to Kendall Rogers.

NATEHOGG216

• All-American Hogvillian
  • now thats a hog fan

Any info on him?  Do we like him as our new coach?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Mr.Swine89

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

Not bad. Cutting edge technology guy with a proven track record with development of players. Not a bid hire, especially since the season starts in 2.5 months. Hope he can recruit well. DVH knows best

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2

I don’t know a lot about him but I’ve learned to just trust DVH, he seems to know what he is doing.

hogfan14

Played at and coached at Mizzou before Wake Forest, so he has 1 year of SEC experience. Liked this nugget from his bio:

helped guide pitcher Keaton Steele to All-SEC First Team honors as Steele was the only player in the nation to lead his team in wins, saves and homers at the plate.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

I think I like the hire

Ironhawg

https://wakeforestsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=431&path=baseball

I like this quote from their head coach, "Matt is on the cutting edge of developing elite throwers," said head coach Tom Walter. "He has a proven track of velocity improvement and his pitchers will be both mentally and physically tough. With the addition of our player development center and Matt to our coaching staff, all the pieces are in place for Wake Forest to be the next great destination for top-flight arms."

LRHawg

• This too shall pass

Dave knows best. Wish we could have kept Wes, though.

TebowHater

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • DMAC > teBLOW

Interesting. Dude probably would not have left Wake for just one year, so this is probably our long term replacement.

DVH has done a nice job with assistant hires, though Nate Thompson probably is not as solid as Vitello (tough guy to match, albeit). I trust him

bulldog04

Interesting. Dude probably would not have left Wake for just one year, so this is probably our long term replacement.

DVH has done a nice job with assistant hires, though Nate Thompson probably is not as solid as Vitello (tough guy to match, albeit). I trust him
He can basically get who wants so he must think a lot of this guy and he probably has s lot of the same philosophies as Wes

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW

He can basically get who wants so he must think a lot of this guy and he probably has s lot of the same philosophies as Wes

Agree, that's what it seemed like to me, too--especially with the emphasis on technology to develop top arms

PorkRyan

I think Nate is better in every aspect.  Slightly better recruiter and much better hitting coach.  Now, if we lose all of our recruits to the draft I may change my opinion.  I say that as someone who was a big Vitello fan and I didn't think we could replace him.  Vitello had a great eye for talent though.     
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 12:35:55 am by PorkRyan »

PorkRyan

The MLB teams are raiding college baseball.  There have been a lot of guys who have been hired into developmental roles since Wes was hired and the Mariners tried to hire Yeskie.  Hobbs fits exactly what they are looking for.  Strong analytical coach with development, specifically velocity development, as the priority.  If he has success I could see us losing him to the MLB someday. 

For some background.  He is a Driveline guy and Wake is a Driveline team.  He built a pitching lab at Wake that is similar to the one Wes built here.  His had full motion capture which I don't believe ours has.  I think it is a great hire and it shows how DVH has evolved with the times.  Both of our assistants are on the cutting edge of technology and player development.  Those two areas are really big with the recruits. 

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...

The MLB teams are raiding college baseball.  There have been a lot of guys who have been hired into developmental roles since Wes was hired and the Mariners tried to hire Yeskie.  Hobbs fits exactly what they are looking for.  Strong analytical coach with development, specifically velocity development, as the priority.  If he has success I could see us losing him to the MLB someday. 

For some background.  He is a Driveline guy and Wake is a Driveline team.  He built a pitching lab at Wake that is similar to the one Wes built here.  His had full motion capture which I don't believe ours has.  I think it is a great hire and it shows how DVH has evolved with the times.  Both of our assistants are on the cutting edge of technology and player development.  Those two areas are really big with the recruits.

Good info here . Thanks.

oldhawg

Looks like another good hire by Van Horn.

jbcarol

Kendall Rogers
‏Verified account@KendallRogers

BREAKING: @RazorbackBSB will hire @WakeBaseball pitching coach and one of my favorites — Matt Hobbs. Hobbs is held in high esteem and has done a terrific job during his time at Wake. @ArkRazorbacks #wps

Bill Pintard@BPintard
Replying to @KendallRogers @RazorbackBSB and 2 others
Former Santa Barbara Forester pitcher,coach and member of the Forester. High principled ,Quality coach  and a better person. Good for the Hogs

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

Coach Hobbs was in charge of getting Wake's pitching lab built:

The new @WakeBaseball player development center is BANANAS! Pitching lab fitted with Motion capture, TrackMan, Rapsodo, synced camera feed, etc. Adapt or die!

https://twitter.com/ericjagers/status/1059131032090349568

I bet he is excited to work in our facilities.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie

Yes, we like the hire. In fact, we love it.

ricepig

Got a mouse in your pocket?

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!

I'm excited.  I hope we do some video features on the technology and analytics Coach Hobbs uses.

The athletic department did had a pretty good video with Coach Johnson talking about TrackMan last season.

I'm also interested to see the rapport he develops with our players.  Analytics and eval can only get you so far.  You have to be a great motivator and part time psychologist working with pitchers.

Looks like a great hire!

JackJohnson

Wake's pitchers (even though they had a 1st round pick) took a major step backwards this year with the team ERA rising over a full run from last year.  I like all the cutting edge stuff, but to make that big of a drop from year 3 to year 4 is concerning.  Does anyone have concerns that he might not be able to recruit at a high level both signing as well as evaluating who we can get on campus? 

hog of steele

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net

https://wakeforestsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=431&path=baseball

I like this quote from their head coach, "Matt is on the cutting edge of developing elite throwers," said head coach Tom Walter. "He has a proven track of velocity improvement and his pitchers will be both mentally and physically tough. With the addition of our player development center and Matt to our coaching staff, all the pieces are in place for Wake Forest to be the next great destination for top-flight arms."

They should leave that up to help arkansas recruiting :)

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors

Has the hire actually been announced yet?

jbcarol

PorkRyan

Wake's pitchers (even though they had a 1st round pick) took a major step backwards this year with the team ERA rising over a full run from last year.  I like all the cutting edge stuff, but to make that big of a drop from year 3 to year 4 is concerning.  Does anyone have concerns that he might not be able to recruit at a high level both signing as well as evaluating who we can get on campus? 

It is a concern and I don't know what happened this past season.  I do know that Wake is a small school with an average ACT of 30.  It's expensive and they don't play the private school game like Vandy, Stanford, Rice, TCU, and DBU where they load up kids on academic money.  I would think it is one of the toughest places to win in the ACC.   

dotnet

This article gives the following answer to the 2018 struggles:

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/disappointment-in-could-lead-to-deacons-dominating-in/article_62c46a64-249f-5af9-911d-6e45b7f838a7.html

Wake Forest entered this season knowing how young it would be. The theme in the weeks before the season started, with the Deacons coming off a 43-win season that ended with Wake Forest one win shy of the College World Series, was that fresh faces would need to step up. Eight Deacons were drafted, seven of them signing contracts and only pitcher Griffin Roberts returning.

The Deacons turned out to be even younger because of indefinite suspensions announced a day before the season opener. That robbed Wake Forest of its three most-experienced players, and laid the groundwork for the Deacons to be second in the nation for starts by true freshmen (246 in 57 games).

dotnet

From looking at some numbers for 2018, I do not think they returned much experienced on the mound.  I think they actually were middle of the pack in pitching from an ACC stand point... which is actually pretty good for a rebuilding year at Wake. 

http://www.theacc.com/stats.aspx?path=baseball&year=2018&conf=true

PorkRyan

This article gives the following answer to the 2018 struggles:

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/disappointment-in-could-lead-to-deacons-dominating-in/article_62c46a64-249f-5af9-911d-6e45b7f838a7.html

Wake Forest entered this season knowing how young it would be. The theme in the weeks before the season started, with the Deacons coming off a 43-win season that ended with Wake Forest one win shy of the College World Series, was that fresh faces would need to step up. Eight Deacons were drafted, seven of them signing contracts and only pitcher Griffin Roberts returning.

The Deacons turned out to be even younger because of indefinite suspensions announced a day before the season opener. That robbed Wake Forest of its three most-experienced players, and laid the groundwork for the Deacons to be second in the nation for starts by true freshmen (246 in 57 games).

Relying on Freshmen pitchers in the SEC or ACC is going to be a recipe for disaster.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass

Another great assistant hire by DVH.

JackJohnson

Relying on Freshmen pitchers in the SEC or ACC is going to be a recipe for disaster.

I guess that depends on what relying on Fr pitchers entails.  Not sure how this number compares to the rest of the premier teams, but Wake had 101.1 of there 515.1 (19.63%)  of their innings pitched on the year by Fr pitchers.

In terms of where they rank on the team in total innings pitched, the Fr pitchers were (out of 14 total player to pitch):
6th
9th
10th
11th
12th

PorkRyan

I guess that depends on what relying on Fr pitchers entails.  Not sure how this number compares to the rest of the premier teams, but Wake had 101.1 of there 515.1 (19.63%)  of their innings pitched on the year by Fr pitchers.

In terms of where they rank on the team in total innings pitched, the Fr pitchers were (out of 14 total player to pitch):
6th
9th
10th
11th
12th

That is not relying on Freshman, I'd guess that is pretty close to the norm.  Arkansas was about 18% last year.  I read that it said new faces and assumed it meant Freshmen.   

ucahogfan

From looking at some numbers for 2018, I do not think they returned much experienced on the mound.  I think they actually were middle of the pack in pitching from an ACC stand point... which is actually pretty good for a rebuilding year at Wake. 

http://www.theacc.com/stats.aspx?path=baseball&year=2018&conf=true
And I think Wake Forest plays in a hitter's ball park so it makes the numbers more impressive.  I think they are typically towards the top of the nation in HRs.  At least they were in 2017.

ucahogfan

A couple of thoughts:

-  The last time we hired a 2002 Mizzou grad who was also an assistant there, it seemed to work out pretty well for us.
-  He has coached in California, Missouri, and North Carolina.  He probably has strong recruiting connections all over the country.  Wonder what type of recruiter he is.

JackJohnson

And I think Wake Forest plays in a hitter's ball park so it makes the numbers more impressive.  I think they are typically towards the top of the nation in HRs.  At least they were in 2017.

Impressive is the improvements he showed in his 1st 3 years.  However in his 4th year with a 1st round pick they regressed by a full run per game ERA wise.  Did they switch to that "hitters ballpark" last year?

ucahogfan

Impressive is the improvements he showed in his 1st 3 years.  However in his 4th year with a 1st round pick they regressed by a full run per game ERA wise.  Did they switch to that "hitters ballpark" last year?
He also had to replace two third of the innings from the previous year and Roberts was 4th on the team in innings in 2017 and the only one in the top 5 in innings who returned.  He had to replace all three weekends starters.  How many pitching coaches would have led their team to a similar ERA under those circumstances?

From our 2018 team, we have lost 62% of the innings thrown and I don't think many people truly believe our ERA will be similar to last year.  Sure, I don't think it will be a full run higher, but that is a ton of innings to replace.  Plus, it's not like Wake Forest has the type of arms waiting in the wings like we have.  We also have a potential first round pick in Cronin on the staff as well as get a key piece back in Kevin Kopps who missed 2018 due to TJ surgery.  We also get Scroggins further away from his surgery.

JackJohnson

He also had to replace two third of the innings from the previous year and Roberts was 4th on the team in innings in 2017 and the only one in the top 5 in innings who returned.  He had to replace all three weekends starters.  How many pitching coaches would have led their team to a similar ERA under those circumstances?

From our 2018 team, we have lost 62% of the innings thrown and I don't think many people truly believe our ERA will be similar to last year.  Sure, I don't think it will be a full run higher, but that is a ton of innings to replace.  Plus, it's not like Wake Forest has the type of arms waiting in the wings like we have.  We also have a potential first round pick in Cronin on the staff as well as get a key piece back in Kevin Kopps who missed 2018 due to TJ surgery.  We also get Scroggins further away from his surgery.

Completely understand but is that not college baseball to a  T at the major college level?? Always losing big time arms but rinsing and repeating?   I.e. you are always going to be replacing studs but IF you are recruiting at the level you should be while there may be some growing pains you have the arms ready waiting in the wings.  I’m worried about Hobbs ability to recruit those waiting in the wings...

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16

Completely understand but is that not college baseball to a  T at the major college level?? Always losing big time arms but rinsing and repeating?   I.e. you are always going to be replacing studs but IF you are recruiting at the level you should be while there may be some growing pains you have the arms ready waiting in the wings.  I’m worried about Hobbs ability to recruit those waiting in the wings...

I think his ability to recruit from coast to coast, his knowledge of the modern approach to pitching, and Arkansas baseball and future facilities will allow him to recruit just fine.

dotnet

is that not college baseball to a  T at the major college level??

I think that is the point.  He was coaching at Wake Forest.  The program has made the post season less in its entire history than DVH has at Arkansas.  Helping WF be as good as it was the last few years in a conference as tough as the ACC is pretty impressive. 

So there was one dissapointing year - if you think be middle of the pack in ERA in the ACC while at WF (not UNC, FSU, Miami, UVA, Maryland, NC State, Clemson, etc.)  in a rebuilding year is bad.  (ie. his staff was the equivalent in the ACC of Miss State and Ole Miss in the SEC). 

Its not very normal you hire an assistant 100% confident they can recruit as well as you want them too.  Vitello and Butler are exceptions.  Even Nate Thompson had only been at Missouri State and never recruited the type of classes you expect to have at Arkansas. 

intoxhog

• It's history that teaches us to hope.~Robert E Lee

I think that is the point.  He was coaching at Wake Forest.  The program has made the post season less in its entire history than DVH has at Arkansas.  Helping WF be as good as it was the last few years in a conference as tough as the ACC is pretty impressive. 

So there was one dissapointing year - if you think be middle of the pack in ERA in the ACC while at WF (not UNC, FSU, Miami, UVA, Maryland, NC State, Clemson, etc.)  in a rebuilding year is bad.  (ie. his staff was the equivalent in the ACC of Miss State and Ole Miss in the SEC). 

Its not very normal you hire an assistant 100% confident they can recruit as well as you want them too.  Vitello and Butler are exceptions.  Even Nate Thompson had only been at Missouri State and never recruited the type of classes you expect to have at Arkansas.
very good points!  Convinced me anyway.  And I would have to imagine DVH had his pick of coaches.

PorkRyan

Pretty nice praise on Hobbs.  Kyle Boddy who runs Driveline was asked on Twitter if he had a son where would he send him and he said Matt Hobbs when he was at Wake Forest.  Part of that was Hobbs and part of it was due to the pitching lab he built. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas