• 10,058,682 Posts
• 402,657 Topics
• 23,009 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wes Johnson to the Twins  (Read 3354 times)

PorkRyan

Wes Johnson to the Twins
« on: November 15, 2018, 01:08:48 pm »

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1063143917049106432

Congrats to Wes, but a big loss for Arkansas.  Nate Yeskie should be the first call and someone that we can get. 

BroyledNutts

Re: Wes Johnson to the Twins
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 01:14:43 pm »

Horrible news ... We just can't hang on to a Championship staff ...

Whelp ... next up, I guess ...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Mr.Swine89

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 01:27:17 pm »

Tough loss for us. Wes was a good dude and will do well in the majors. I figure that we will have numerous excellent coaches lined up to talk to DVH. Wes is one of the best at any level though.

I personally like Saarloos from TCU, Yeskie from Oregon St. and my darkhorse is Forbes and UNC. Forbes has coached numerous major leaguers and is highly respected across all levels of the game.

navyhog24

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:39:36 pm »

Dang. Really bad blow, but he deserves it.

navyhog24

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 01:43:22 pm »

Maybe former MSU coach Gary Henderon is available.

Big Nasty 34

• All-American Hogvillian
  • John 3:16
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 01:46:17 pm »

Would a respected college pitching coach leave 3 months before the season starts? I feel like we may have to wait until the summer to get a more permanent switch. Has there been a time where a team has lost an assistant this time of the year?

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 01:47:18 pm »

Maybe former MSU coach Gary Henderon is available.

Was just thinking about him.  A bit long in the tooth so they say but a damn good coach.  He did a fantastic job stepping in for Coach Couldn't Keep it in His Pants at MSU.  Definitely knows his way around the SEC as well.  Would be a solid hire and an easy get if Dave wanted a seasoned vet.  He's had good success hiring younger guys that our working their way up as well.

Tony Perkis

• This is the 18th level of the PerkiSystem.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 01:53:47 pm »

Good for him. Great Pitching Coach, but I have a hard time believing we can't replace him.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 01:56:47 pm »

Good for him. Great Pitching Coach, but I have a hard time believing we can't replace him.

Dave definitely has the rep and resources to hire a quality guy.  Think the only issue is timing.  That's why I think Henderson would be a good hire, see how he does and if it doesn't work out hire a top notch guy after this up coming season.  Would Jorn coming back for a year be a possibility?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:17:09 pm by Dwight_K_Shrute »

Tony Perkis

• This is the 18th level of the PerkiSystem.
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 01:59:03 pm »

Dave can definitely has the rep and resources to hire a quality guy.  Think the only issue is timing.  That's why I think Henderson would be a good hire, see how he does and if it doesn't work out hire a top notch guy after this up coming season.  Would Jorn coming back for a year be a possibility?
I do share your concerns on timing. Give me Jorn!

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 02:17:23 pm »

News is legit. It's a big blow but I'm confident in DVH getting someone. Haven't heard any names yet, but if/when I do, I'll try to share.

woodhog14

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 02:22:38 pm »

News is legit. It's a big blow but I'm confident in DVH getting someone. Haven't heard any names yet, but if/when I do, I'll try to share.
Yep...and we will be able to pay high dollar.
Wes was making $280K here. I'm sure he was one of the higher paid in the college ranks for a pitching coach.

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 02:35:49 pm »

Very happy for Wes.  No ill feelings toward him at all BUT

#@%@^%#^!$^!^!$^

can we not keep positive momentum rolling?  Please?

I just hope he left due to the opportunity and not for money -  it's time that we quit wasting money on the lost cause that is football and put more money into baseball.

navyhog24

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 03:52:49 pm »

Very happy for Wes.  No ill feelings toward him at all BUT

#@%@^%#^!$^!^!$^

can we not keep positive momentum rolling?  Please?

I just hope he left due to the opportunity and not for money -  it's time that we quit wasting money on the lost cause that is football and put more money into baseball.

I'm pretty sure it's for the opportunity at the majors. It'd be hard for any college coach to pass it up. I really don't blame him.

navyhog24

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 03:53:34 pm »

Kendall Rogers Verified account @KendallRogers

This does not surprise me at all. Johnson had discussions with the @Mariners for their pitching coach opening, and at least listened to the @Angels as well, I'm told.

ricepig

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 04:06:14 pm »

So, a bigger concern for this season, or for the pitcher's committed on down the line?

navyhog24

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 04:10:10 pm »

Well, thankfully most of the kids committed have been playing together for a while in the summer/traveling leagues. I'm sure they're likely to stick with their commitments.

dotnet

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 04:17:00 pm »

So this sucks.  There really isn't another way to spin it.  Wes was a great recruiter and a great coach.  The twins considered him one of the 30ish best pitching coaches in the entire sport.  I don't care who you get, you're not going to get someone that good and as good of a recruiter. 

If I were to spin it.. I would say the last three assistants DVH hired are now: Head coach at historically good program WSU, a head coach of an SEC school - Tenner, and a major league pitching coach.  Clearly, coming to work for DVH is a good career decision. 

I normally would say timing could be an issue... and it may be for a couple of the coaches mentioned above (ie. UNC pitching coach, etc).  However, Arkansas is one of the top jobs in the nation and so if you have a chance to take it, you take it, regardless of the timing.

I would also normally think someone like the OSU coach would not be likely to go to Arkansas.  If he was ever going to come, it would be in a year like now where there is turnover at the top. 

Also, Saarloos would obviously be a great candidate... however he would definitely be of the Vitello mold.  He would probably want to be here two years and then take the USCw job

woodrow hog call

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 04:22:04 pm »

Dave definitely has the rep and resources to hire a quality guy.  Think the only issue is timing.  That's why I think Henderson would be a good hire, see how he does and if it doesn't work out hire a top notch guy after this up coming season.  Would Jorn coming back for a year be a possibility?

He didn't stay retired very long, one season and he was done with that, doing some scouting for Tampa Bay after a season coaching in Korea.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2018, 04:38:50 pm »

Congrats to Wes but I hate to see him go. Kinda a tough time to find a replacement but Iím sure DVH will find the best person that is available.

bulldog04

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2018, 04:47:46 pm »

He was talking to a few MLB teams so Iím sure DVH is prepared and has a plan.

PorkRyan

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 04:57:35 pm »

So this sucks.  There really isn't another way to spin it.  Wes was a great recruiter and a great coach.  The twins considered him one of the 30ish best pitching coaches in the entire sport.  I don't care who you get, you're not going to get someone that good and as good of a recruiter. 

If I were to spin it.. I would say the last three assistants DVH hired are now: Head coach at historically good program WSU, a head coach of an SEC school - Tenner, and a major league pitching coach.  Clearly, coming to work for DVH is a good career decision. 

I normally would say timing could be an issue... and it may be for a couple of the coaches mentioned above (ie. UNC pitching coach, etc).  However, Arkansas is one of the top jobs in the nation and so if you have a chance to take it, you take it, regardless of the timing.

I would also normally think someone like the OSU coach would not be likely to go to Arkansas.  If he was ever going to come, it would be in a year like now where there is turnover at the top. 

Also, Saarloos would obviously be a great candidate... however he would definitely be of the Vitello mold.  He would probably want to be here two years and then take the USCw job

Sarloos just signed a 3 year deal.  You'd have to think there is a buyout involved for a lateral move.

And you are right, this sucks.  Not many guys out there that can recruit and coach like Wes.   

navyhog24

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 06:07:29 pm »

I think at this stage with 3 to 4 months until the season begins, Gary Henderson would be a steal to get through the season.

ucahogfan

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 06:20:38 pm »

Would a respected college pitching coach leave 3 months before the season starts? I feel like we may have to wait until the summer to get a more permanent switch. Has there been a time where a team has lost an assistant this time of the year?
LSU went through it a few years ago when the Bench Press Machine replaced Cohen when he was promoted to AD at MSU.  Might have been a little earlier in the calendar, but it has happened before.

ucahogfan

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 06:28:27 pm »

DVH has to be one of the top head coaches to work for.  He really seems to empower his assistants and prepare them for a successful career.  DVH will be hiring his 7th paid assistant coach at Arkansas with Johnson leaving.  The other six are:

Matt Deggs - HC at Sam Houston State - Made a Super last year
Todd Butler - HC at historical power Wichita State - not a power now, but the history is excellent
Tony Vitello - HC at SEC school Tennessee
Nate Thompson - rising star in the baseball coaching game, will be a HC in a couple of years
Dave Jorn - long time pitching coach
Wes Johnson - pitching coach of the Minnesota Twins

Even more than that, he also has Rob Childress (HC at Texas A&M) and Chris Curry (HC at UALR) on his coaching tree as well.  That is a truly impressive tree.

I think he would almost be able to handpick who he wants as his next pitching coach.  Obviously Johnson was a rising star at the collegiate level and a home state boy when we got him from Mississippi State.  I would think Sarloos will definitely be an option, but it will be tough as he has turned down a lot of jobs as has been reported.  Maybe we should look at Dave Therneau at Stetson as well.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 06:43:12 pm »

Should we consider bumping up Coach Suggs to full time?

I understand the is a considerable difference in coaching the bullpen and being the full time pitching coach but I wonder if we even think about it.

Coach Suggs seems to have great rapport with our players and staff.  He is young and inexperienced but maybe someone to look at on such short notice.

SPAL

• Administrator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • I liked Big Mike but it was a lie
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 06:47:00 pm »

This didn't catch dvh off guard. The show was literally the only job that Wes would have left for, I'm told.

PorkRyan

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 07:03:26 pm »

Should we consider bumping up Coach Suggs to full time?

I understand the is a considerable difference in coaching the bullpen and being the full time pitching coach but I wonder if we even think about it.

Coach Suggs seems to have great rapport with our players and staff.  He is young and inexperienced but maybe someone to look at on such short notice.

I think Suggs is a future star.  He has the training background from Driveline and was able to work under Wes for a year.  But, DVH has always gone out and hired a proven assistant. 

trippigs

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 07:10:46 pm »

Tough loss for the program.....Wes is great. DVH will reload and his national reputation will be important. In DVH I trust

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 07:19:46 pm »

Hogginintheville

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 07:49:51 pm »

Itís to be expected when you have a top program.

PorkRyan

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 08:11:44 pm »

Robert Woodard - UNC

Don't know if we can pull him away but its the first name I've heard. 

Knot2brite

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2018, 12:05:29 am »

This didn't catch dvh off guard. The show was literally the only job that Wes would have left for, I'm told.

FACT

Philip Seaton

• Global Moderator
  • Hogvillian
  • "Hazard Yet Forward"
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2018, 02:11:38 am »

If you look at the timing of this, the day after the early signing period. So obviously this was done to protect the early signing class. One would venture to guess that this has been a done deal for a little while and DVH has a coached already lined up, hence Rogers' tweet about "stay tuned" ... Just my opinion.

MAGA45

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2018, 07:41:58 am »

Kuhn from Virginia.

ThisTeetsTaken

• He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2018, 08:13:33 am »

If you look at the timing of this, the day after the early signing period. So obviously this was done to protect the early signing class. One would venture to guess that this has been a done deal for a little while and DVH has a coached already lined up, hence Rogers' tweet about "stay tuned" ... Just my opinion.
I donít think Rogers knows for sure.  He just wants people to keep looking at his Twitter account.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 09:57:35 am »

I donít think Rogers knows for sure.  He just wants people to keep looking at his Twitter account.

I'm sure he hears things, but it is good to always keep the perspective that everything a sports media type puts on social media is for clicks.

I like Kendall Rogers, but its literally his job.

dotnet

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 10:01:32 am »

Robert Woodard - UNC

Didn't he play at UNC?  I would like to have him, but that is a hard pull

PorkRyan

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 10:26:47 am »

Didn't he play at UNC?  I would like to have him, but that is a hard pull

Agreed.  He makes 120k though and they have a dual pitching coach situation. 

Matt Gardner at Texas Tech is another name I've heard.  Similar situation as UNC where they had a pitching coach in place but the younger guy has taken over. 

Ironhawg

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 10:34:22 am »

Josh Hotpper at Dallas Baptist?  Heard he is a good recruiter.

PorkRyan

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2018, 10:44:32 am »

Josh Hotpper at Dallas Baptist?  Heard he is a good recruiter.

He fits the profile.  Biomechanics background and big on player development.  He was just hired a few months ago at DBU, though. 

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2018, 12:18:21 pm »

I know there isn't a pitching coach in the country that wouldn't at least listen.

I bet DVH's phone has been ringing nonstop.

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2018, 02:16:12 pm »

He fits the profile.  Biomechanics background and big on player development.  He was just hired a few months ago at DBU, though. 

All is fair in love, war, and career advancement.  DBU is a very respected baseball school, but it has to be a big pay raise, as DBU is a private school, etc. 

BroyledNutts

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2018, 04:42:34 pm »

Kuhn from Virginia.

That would be a good one if DVH could uproot him from Charlottesville ...

Time for that national title series appearance to start paying some high level dividends ...

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2018, 06:20:38 pm »

ucahogfan

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2018, 08:32:18 pm »

Robert Woodard - UNC

Saw a tweet today that he is going to be the minor league pitching coordinator for the Rangers.  Seems like pro teams are becoming more open to hiring college pitching coaches.

The three biggest names I've heard of are Woodard, Derek Johnson (Vandy to Cubs minor league pitching coordinator, now in big leagues as pitching coach), and Wes Johnson.  Johnson is the only one I know of immediately being a pitching coach on a MLB team.

dotnet

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2018, 09:55:15 am »

Saw a tweet today that he is going to be the minor league pitching coordinator for the Rangers.  Seems like pro teams are becoming more open to hiring college pitching coaches.

The three biggest names I've heard of are Woodard, Derek Johnson (Vandy to Cubs minor league pitching coordinator, now in big leagues as pitching coach), and Wes Johnson.  Johnson is the only one I know of immediately being a pitching coach on a MLB team.

It makes sense.  I think there is more in common between major league baseball and college baseball from a pitching coach stand point than any other pro/"amateur" sport mix.  I think two things help this perception though:

1. The first guy to do it was Derek Johnson.  The cubs (a respected FO) did it and and he was the pitching coach this past year with the Brewers who had a lot of pitchers over achieve.  He was hired away by the Reds because he did so well.

2. I feel like the proof is in the product.  College pitchers are hitting at a very high rate. 

woodrow hog call

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2018, 04:46:40 pm »

Probably the last picture you will see of him in a Twins uniform.......................................................

without a pencil sticking out of his hat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas