• 9,965,293 Posts
• 400,174 Topics
• 22,936 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cantrell  (Read 3363 times)

nlrwildcat1

Cantrell
« on: November 10, 2018, 11:13:58 pm »

I guess i am totally out of the loop. I just read he most likely wont be back next year.

GroŖer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is it football season yet?
Re: Cantrell
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 11:15:17 pm »

I think itís safe to say that OíGrady has secured that job.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HogPharmer

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 11:16:24 pm »

Weíve got another Henry coming in. The TE position is one position that Iím NOT overly concerned about with this team. Maybe the only position.

pigzwillrise

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 11:18:49 pm »

Is he not a 5th year senior already?

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 11:22:01 pm »

Funny. Earlier in the year some worried that Henry might be turned off by our lack of TE use in the offense. I think he threw it to CJ like 13 times tonight.

twistitup

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 11:24:05 pm »

Funny. Earlier in the year some worried that Henry might be turned off by our lack of TE use in the offense. I think he threw it to CJ like 13 times tonight.

CJ appeared to be the only one able to get open. We lack speed at WR

lakecityhog

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 11:25:01 pm »

Cantrell is a junior and as far as I can tell been nothing but a good solid TE and a good team guy. His counterpart on the other hand missed 2 games because he wouldn't go to class and practice as required. He has had multiple "look-at-me penalties and appears to be all about himself. But he is a VERY talented player!

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 12:34:37 am »

Story I was told - Austin is married and has a kid or they are expecting. Time to move on. He is a 3rd-year Junior. Likely going to graduate and can play next year anywhere that needs a very good TE.

twistitup

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 07:53:10 am »

Story I was told - Austin is married and has a kid or they are expecting. Time to move on. He is a 3rd-year Junior. Likely going to graduate and can play next year anywhere that needs a very good TE.

anywhere?

You sure about that?

I like the kid but if he was that good wouldn't he be starting for us?

ballz2thewall

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 08:07:49 am »

anywhere?

You sure about that?

in the tulsa game he was split mid-left.

the call was a swing pass to the rb on the left side. the split left wr had carried his defender deep.

cantrell's sole job was to block the cb. it was zone coverage. 

he met the cb square, and the cb just flat walked around him and made a single-handed tackle for a loss.

the guy couldn't even create enough of an impediment to allow the rb a choice of going left or right. the rb [can't recall; probably boyd] didn't have an opportunity at all, between making the catch and transitioning to the run afterwards.

this is why he doesn't start.

hoglady

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 08:10:08 am »

Cantrell is a junior and as far as I can tell been nothing but a good solid TE and a good team guy. His counterpart on the other hand missed 2 games because he wouldn't go to class and practice as required. He has had multiple "look-at-me penalties and appears to be all about himself. But he is a VERY talented player!

I'm going to take up a little for CJ last night. He appeared to be getting repeatedly mugged with no calls from the officials. When he made some big catches he got in the defenders face. You hate to see any penalties, but I loved the competitive attitude.

Beardog

• Band Nerd
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 08:12:34 am »

anywhere?

You sure about that?

Yes. He is quietly one of our best players. Because you hear nothing, heís done his job. A lot of his role cannot be quantified. He rarely gets beat when blocking.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 08:19:05 am »

Yes. He is quietly one of our best players. Because you hear nothing, heís done his job. A lot of his role cannot be quantified. He rarely gets beat when blocking.
not true

hawgsalot

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2018, 08:57:09 am »

Dang your really calling out the one freaking guy that has some Moxy and actually acts like he gives a darn on this offense.  Heck he's basically having to single handily overcome pathetic WR and QB talent.

ballz2thewall

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 09:03:34 am »

Dang your really calling out the one freaking guy that has some Moxy and actually acts like he gives a darn on this offense.  Heck he's basically having to single handily overcome pathetic WR and QB talent.

it's statements like this that beg strong replies.

i won't do that and will stick with my tulsa-game observation above.

i'll ask this though; in making this observation do you count the blow-ups that he might contribute to?

lakecityhog

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 09:04:29 am »

Sorry, you call it like you see it and I will call the truth!
What I said was factual like it or not. A team mate had to call him out publicly to get him into line.

Believe it or not we actually have more than 1 player out there that gives a darn and most of them give a darn about the team too.

A lot of our players have to overcome our PATHETIC FANS!

twistitup

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 10:52:24 am »

A lot of his role cannot be quantified.

?

jdelo77

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 10:59:10 am »

Heís a decent blocker and with the exception of this year alone , was a decent pass catcher ...

jjdlc

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 11:04:02 am »

anywhere?

You sure about that?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm about 90% sure that Cantrell has been listed as a starter the entire year.  Very good hard working kid.  Used more for blocking than pass catching, he's faster than most think given his size, just rarely gets to showcase it.  Won't be surprised at all if he does well enough at a combine to get drafted.

twistitup

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 11:09:07 am »

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm about 90% sure that Cantrell has been listed as a starter the entire year.  Very good hard working kid.  Used more for blocking than pass catching, he's faster than most think given his size, just rarely gets to showcase it.  Won't be surprised at all if he does well enough at a combine to get drafted.

I wish the best for him....we will see.

jjdlc

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 11:18:46 am »

Just curious where the idea came from that Cantrell wont be back?  Unless he's decided to retire, I cant imagine he'd transfer for more playing time unless he just wants a better opportunity to showcase his pass catching ability.

26.2Hog

• Senior
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 11:25:46 am »

Just curious where the idea came from that Cantrell wont be back?  Unless he's decided to retire, I cant imagine he'd transfer for more playing time unless he just wants a better opportunity to showcase his pass catching ability.

He was introduced along with the seniors in the pregame ceremony honoring those players at their last home game.

jjdlc

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 11:41:11 am »

He was introduced along with the seniors in the pregame ceremony honoring those players at their last home game.

Interesting, maybe he is walking away from the game then.  I'll have to ask around.

twistitup

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 11:44:03 am »

Interesting, maybe he is walking away from the game then.  I'll have to ask around.

maybe he will take his talents to the NFL...

why stay in college and risk injury if you possibly have the talent to go to the next level? If he is as good as some believe, he's probably going to try to make the jump.

jjdlc

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 12:19:37 pm »

maybe he will take his talents to the NFL...

why stay in college and risk injury if you possibly have the talent to go to the next level? If he is as good as some believe, he's probably going to try to make the jump.

Could be, I don't see them letting him participate in Sr. day if his intentions are to transfer. 

lakecityhog

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 12:23:36 pm »

Could be, I don't see them letting him participate in Sr. day if his intentions are to transfer. 

If, and I do say IF, Morris is that petty after making it crystal clear that he plans to "process out" some kids then we truly have made a terrible choice for head coach.

jjdlc

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 12:28:46 pm »

If, and I do say IF, Morris is that petty after making it crystal clear that he plans to "process out" some kids then we truly have made a terrible choice for head coach.

Do you think Cantrell is on the list to be processed out?

twistitup

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 01:24:09 pm »

Processors processing

TomasPistola

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Giant Bobby Portis is tired of your crap.
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 01:26:59 pm »

What I said was factual like it or not. A team mate had to call him out publicly to get him into line.

Believe it or not we actually have more than 1 player out there that gives a darn and most of them give a darn about the team too.

Pot meet Kettle.

Pigcrazy

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 01:37:47 pm »

Austin has realized that the NFL isnít in his future and is walking away from football after this season.  I wish him nothing but the best, heís been a great Razorback!

• Senior
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2018, 01:54:39 pm »

THIS

Switchback

• Varsity
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2018, 02:12:24 pm »

in the tulsa game he was split mid-left.

the call was a swing pass to the rb on the left side. the split left wr had carried his defender deep.

cantrell's sole job was to block the cb. it was zone coverage. 

he met the cb square, and the cb just flat walked around him and made a single-handed tackle for a loss.

the guy couldn't even create enough of an impediment to allow the rb a choice of going left or right. the rb [can't recall; probably boyd] didn't have an opportunity at all, between making the catch and transitioning to the run afterwards.

this is why he doesn't start.

Cantrell is 265 lbs trying to block a 195 lb defensive back while standing several yards away, of course he whiffed.  Not sure why they would have the play hinge on that block.  Blame the play design not the player.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2018, 08:41:12 am »

He will get a chance to make an NFL roster.

aloha_kid

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2018, 10:46:22 am »

CJ appeared to be the only one able to get open. We lack speed at WR

And yet a TE gets open.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2018, 11:36:37 am »

Exactly.

He was a devastating blocker last year. He rarely is targeted this year, if allowed in the pattern. O'Grady may be the preferred skillset, and I get that.

To suggest he is "bad" or "uncaring" is typical HV foolishness.

He is an example of the scheme changing hurting his playing time and effectiveness. If AJ Derby can play TE in the NFL than so can Cantrell. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at a P5 school where he can be showcased more.

twistitup

« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2018, 11:50:24 am »

And yet a TE gets open.

...usually matched up against a LB, yes, O' Grady gets open.

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2018, 12:38:00 pm »

Great guy, but perfect example of how bad our strength and conditioning program was under 'body by Herb.'  Cantrell was a state champion in the 100 meter dash and shot put in high school.  Okay, Roland is a small school, but a big guy who can run and is strong is a potential big time TE.  He came here running a 4.5 forty.  I would say he's 4.8 on a good day now, and have seen him run down by defensive linemen this year.

I do not blame Cantrell.  Played with heart and soul, but I'm sure he's disappointed, or realizing, as has been said, his chances at the next level are limited.  I wish he would go through another off season with Coach Tru, and come back next year.  I think the young family thing is definitely a factor as well.

If he never plays another down, I appreciate what he has done as a Hog.  If he transfers because he thinks it's what is best for  him, I wish him nothing but the best as well. 

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2018, 06:56:21 pm »

He will get a chance to make an NFL roster.

Itís true. Itís not uncommon for NFL teams to  have atleast one TE that is mainly a blocker.

ballz2thewall

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2018, 08:02:15 pm »

Itís true. Itís not uncommon for NFL teams to  have atleast one TE that is mainly a blocker.

i guess i'm getting dementia.

from what i've seen, cantrell in no way resembles the blocker that most folks are posting on here.

jjdlc

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2018, 09:29:02 pm »

i guess i'm getting dementia.

from what i've seen, cantrell in no way resembles the blocker that most folks are posting on here.

When your blocking the only time your name gets called is when you miss, thatís what everyone remembers.  When you do good, it rarely gets mentioned.  Iím not sure anyone in NCAA even keeps stats for blocks and such.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2018, 09:34:41 pm »

Speaking of it, anyone know the name of the breakfast place off Cantrell with the cathead buttermilk biscuits?

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2018, 09:48:53 pm »

Speaking of it, anyone know the name of the breakfast place off Cantrell with the cathead buttermilk biscuits?
It burned to the ground.

Paul

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2018, 10:38:31 pm »

Exactly.

He was a devastating blocker last year. He rarely is targeted this year, if allowed in the pattern. O'Grady may be the preferred skillset, and I get that.

To suggest he is "bad" or "uncaring" is typical HV foolishness.

He is an example of the scheme changing hurting his playing time and effectiveness. If AJ Derby can play TE in the NFL than so can Cantrell. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at a P5 school where he can be showcased more.
to my recollection Derby was more productive offensively
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas