• 9,965,272 Posts
• 400,172 Topics
• 22,936 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Disappointed but not at all discouraged  (Read 3739 times)

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
Re: Disappointed but not at all discouraged
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2018, 05:12:40 pm »

But, he is the man at his job.  He's the best his company has ever seen and he's a big shot in a 650 billion industry, so try to keep up.

Iím trying to think of what would be a 650 billion industry.  To small for banks and energy.  Iíd say itís something like the car industry.  Iím guess heís a car salesman... no disrespect to car salesman intended!

HoopS

« Reply #151 on: November 10, 2018, 05:13:30 pm »

All of this crap after the FIRST game of the season!
on the road. With all weíve lost. Game 1 for us and number 2 for them to work kinks out. One made FT from a huge win. A lot of promise shown by these pups. But the personal hatred of a coach doesnít allow some to see how encouraged they should be by this squad.

It must really suck to go through life so depressed.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

HawgWild

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Left lane, Hey!? Whereís my hammer?
« Reply #152 on: November 10, 2018, 05:21:31 pm »

I've slept on it and held off commenting. Not as bad as it seemed last night. Saw a lot of positives. This team will move forward. We'll get in the NCAA tourney.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

« Reply #153 on: November 10, 2018, 05:22:00 pm »

That Texas team is 12-24 in the Big 12 the past two years.
Would you not argue that the Big 12 is much more competitive in basketball than the SEC?

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #154 on: November 10, 2018, 05:28:58 pm »

MakingPlays

« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2018, 05:37:59 pm »

Iím trying to think of what would be a 650 billion industry.  To small for banks and energy.  Iíd say itís something like the car industry.  Iím guess heís a car salesman... no disrespect to car salesman intended!

Nah, this guy is way too smart and too important just to sell cars (no disrespect to anyone that sells cars), but we're talking about Mr. 650 Billion here, the guy that brags about his job on sports message boards after a road loss.  You don't just do that unless your job is amazing and exciting.

My guess is he owns his own private security company and he only protects really important and rich clients.  With his analytical skills he can always predict likely threats before they even happen.  He's the best of the best, he's like a superhero that tells lies about Mike Anderson on message boards by day, and then hunts down threats and takes them out by night.

Knot2brite

« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2018, 05:40:27 pm »

There is a lot of young talent on this team. They have potential to be one of the most athletic teams we have seen here in a long time. But I can imagine that they are going to not do the small things that will get them past the second round of the ncaa tournament. They wonít stop the dribble drive, they wonít slide over on hep side defense, they wonít rebound, they wonít stop jumping out at every shooter, they wonít feed the post effectively and they will over play on the double team. Just like they have for the last 7 years. They will beat some teams they arenít supposed to beat and lose to some teams they shouldnít lose to over the years. In about ten years MA will finally decide to retire and we will get someone else in here and we will hear about how we should build him a statue and blah blah blah. Same song, 8th verse never going to change.

BigHog396

« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2018, 05:51:40 pm »

Nah, this guy is way too smart and too important just to sell cars (no disrespect to anyone that sells cars), but we're talking about Mr. 650 Billion here, the guy that brags about his job on sports message boards after a road loss.  You don't just do that unless your job is amazing and exciting.

My guess is he owns his own private security company and he only protects really important and rich clients.  With his analytical skills he can always predict likely threats before they even happen.  He's the best of the best, he's like a superhero that tells lies about Mike Anderson on message boards by day, and then hunts down threats and takes them out by night.
There you go lying again.  Wasn't a road loss.  It was a neutral site loss.  Geez man, can't you tell the truth about anything?

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #158 on: November 10, 2018, 05:52:33 pm »

I am not bashing.

this is what a coach Anderson team plays like. it is not going to change. they will improve as they do during the year. but it will be what it has been since he has been here.

stop thinking it is going to change.

they are more talented, and play more like a team.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #159 on: November 10, 2018, 05:58:06 pm »

Which scouts did you talk to?

Never personally talked to an NBA scout. However I am lucky enough to live in a market with two of the best 24/7 Sports talk radio stations in the country. They have plenty of guys on that are scouts or are connected to scouting departments for NBA teams and Gafford's name has come up often. After 50 years of following college basketball and NBA.....I know 6'11" athletic guys with 7'2" wing spans are a hot commodity in the NBA even if they can't play.  When the NBA sees a 6'11" guy that can run the court with guards and Windmill they have seen all they need to see. It is an indication they have the physical skills to physically do anything they will be taught at the NBA level when it is a 9-5 job. And if you are thinking he will drop out of the draft because of 52% free throw shooting.......that would be noooooooo. Come back to this post after the draft next year and call me a DA.....if you can.

MakingPlays

« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2018, 06:15:03 pm »

There you go lying again.  Wasn't a road loss.  It was a neutral site loss.  Geez man, can't you tell the truth about anything?

Good catch there man, that's why they pay you the big bucks.

Serious question, how are you this important of a person as you claim, but have so much free time to talk to us on a message board.  In the 650 billion industry you're in, with it being the holiday season, and with you being the best of the best, one would think you would have something better to do than to worry about us 6 and 7 year old small minded people, as you like to call us.  I don't know too many important people that have as much free time as you.

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2018, 06:31:38 pm »

I didn't get to see the game last night because I had a game. Im confused I saw before the game people speaking on how good and experienced Texas was and how inexperienced we were with 8 new faces. I expected us to get beat by 7+ but checked stats and highlights and saw we lost in overtime and a chanceto actually win in regulation. I was kind of encouraged when I saw the highlights. Are my expectations too low? I didnt watchthe game live so maybe someone has a little more info for me.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2018, 06:37:30 pm »

I didn't get to see the game last night because I had a game. Im confused I saw before the game people speaking on how good and experienced Texas was and how inexperienced we were with 8 new faces. I expected us to get beat by 7+ but checked stats and highlights and saw we lost in overtime and a chanceto actually win in regulation. I was kind of encouraged when I saw the highlights. Are my expectations too low? I didnt watchthe game live so maybe someone has a little more info for me.
I expected us to lose, so we looked better than I anticipated at this point in the season. 

Hard to watch them piddle away a win and not be irritated, so I get the blowback, too.

BigHog396

« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2018, 07:26:15 pm »

Good catch there man, that's why they pay you the big bucks.

Serious question, how are you this important of a person as you claim, but have so much free time to talk to us on a message board.  In the 650 billion industry you're in, with it being the holiday season, and with you being the best of the best, one would think you would have something better to do than to worry about us 6 and 7 year old small minded people, as you like to call us.  I don't know too many important people that have as much free time as you.
Itís called vacation.

Otis

• Varsity
« Reply #164 on: November 10, 2018, 07:46:00 pm »

Never personally talked to an NBA scout. However I am lucky enough to live in a market with two of the best 24/7 Sports talk radio stations in the country. They have plenty of guys on that are scouts or are connected to scouting departments for NBA teams and Gafford's name has come up often. After 50 years of following college basketball and NBA.....I know 6'11" athletic guys with 7'2" wing spans are a hot commodity in the NBA even if they can't play.  When the NBA sees a 6'11" guy that can run the court with guards and Windmill they have seen all they need to see. It is an indication they have the physical skills to physically do anything they will be taught at the NBA level when it is a 9-5 job. And if you are thinking he will drop out of the draft because of 52% free throw shooting.......that would be noooooooo. Come back to this post after the draft next year and call me a DA.....if you can.

Scouts are salivating over Zion Williamson, RJ Barret, Bol Bol etc..  I believe they like Gaffordís potential, just doubt they are salivating over him. No biggie, just giving you a hard time.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #165 on: November 10, 2018, 08:18:50 pm »

I am not bashing.

this is what a coach Anderson team plays like. it is not going to change. they will improve as they do during the year. but it will be what it has been since he has been here.

stop thinking it is going to change.

they are more talented, and play more like a team.

You have never stopped bashing. You are a hater, plain and simple.

You are more visible here after losses than the wins. You are a negative poster at the minimum.

HawgHeadCheese

• Senior
« Reply #166 on: November 10, 2018, 09:01:50 pm »

I expected us to lose, so we looked better than I anticipated at this point in the season. 

Hard to watch them piddle away a win and not be irritated, so I get the blowback, too.
I saw Joe hit some nice looking shots on the highlight. Who looked good?

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2018, 06:43:08 am »

You have never stopped bashing. You are a hater, plain and simple.

You are more visible here after losses than the wins. You are a negative poster at the minimum.

guess you missed the last line.

more talented, and play more like a team.

every coach has his tendencies. his foot print on what his team is going to do.  in year 8, fans are still complaining about what they complained about in years 1-7.

I am just saying it is not going to change.  so do yourself a favor, stop complaining about it.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2018, 07:55:15 am »

I saw Joe hit some nice looking shots on the highlight. Who looked good?

Gafford
Joe
Jones
Harris
Bailey (suprisingly)
Sills

hawgball40

• #wps4life
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2018, 05:43:27 pm »

I think this thread has an important lesson for those of us who support our hogs and believe in what the coach is trying to get done here. We just have to quit feeding these trolls. They are just lashing out because the football team is doing so poorly.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2018, 05:57:04 pm »

I think this thread has an important lesson for those of us who support our hogs and believe in what the coach is trying to get done here. We just have to quit feeding these trolls. They are just lashing out because the football team is doing so poorly.
Feed them?  I was just trying to give one enough rope to hang himself.   ;D

Knot2brite

« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2018, 06:36:40 pm »

guess you missed the last line.

more talented, and play more like a team.

every coach has his tendencies. his foot print on what his team is going to do.  in year 8, fans are still complaining about what they complained about in years 1-7.

I am just saying it is not going to change.  so do yourself a favor, stop complaining about it.
Yeah it isnít going to change...at least until MA retires...you can point out every thing that has consistently been wrong with team 1 through 8 and someone on here will find a statistic about how that Arkansas lead the nation with two point field goals from less than 6 feet in the last two minutes of every game since he took over. I just quit arguing basketball. I watch just enough until baseball season gets here and then it is Hog baseball. I used to love Hog football and basketball...now they are just offseason until baseball gets here.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2018, 06:56:38 pm »

Yeah it isnít going to change...at least until MA retires...you can point out every thing that has consistently been wrong with team 1 through 8 and someone on here will find a statistic about how that Arkansas lead the nation with two point field goals from less than 6 feet in the last two minutes of every game since he took over. I just quit arguing basketball. I watch just enough until baseball season gets here and then it is Hog baseball. I used to love Hog football and basketball...now they are just offseason until baseball gets here.

I am with ya brother

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #173 on: November 11, 2018, 07:00:30 pm »

That's a shame.  I agree with you that football is hard to watch these days, but you should have been watching basketball.  You're missing out.  We haven't been great, but we have been very good and very entertaining, too.

Breems

« Reply #174 on: November 11, 2018, 07:25:16 pm »

That would actually be an awesome stat to lead in.

Kelly1961

• Walk-On
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2018, 08:08:46 pm »

where do they pick up the participation trophies? They didn't get blow out by an average Texas team at best. So I guess we should get the "we suck less than last year" trophy. Wow! Our expectations are so high these days!

Knot2brite

« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2018, 09:16:49 pm »

That's a shame.  I agree with you that football is hard to watch these days, but you should have been watching basketball.  You're missing out.  We haven't been great, but we have been very good and very entertaining, too.
I have been watching for the last 40 years...two years ago..I got selective about when I watched. Funny part is that no matter what year it is or what group
Of players we have ...I see the same thing

Letsroll1200

« Reply #177 on: November 11, 2018, 10:53:43 pm »

I am with ya brother

Has baseball won any hardware? SEC tournament or anything. Just asking! If the standard is championships. The baseball team has there ups and downs throughout the season. Let's be real

Knot2brite

« Reply #178 on: November 11, 2018, 11:16:30 pm »

Has baseball won any hardware? SEC tournament or anything. Just asking! If the standard is championships. The baseball team has there ups and downs throughout the season. Let's be real
Came damn closer than your man crush has while as the head coach

Letsroll1200

« Reply #179 on: November 11, 2018, 11:21:45 pm »

Came damn closer than your man crush has while as the head coach

So the answer is No! After 14-15 years no SEC title? The basketball came close against UNC that went on to win the championship. No knock on Van Horn because he's a good coach. This is about some of the clowns on this board that can't see any good in the program.

Knot2brite

« Reply #180 on: November 11, 2018, 11:35:03 pm »

Well they have won the western division of the sec four times under DVH. And as far as finding something good about the basketball program.....MA is a honest coach who runs a clean program. He is respectful and respected by his peers and players. He is a great ambassador for the school. He is a really good man...but I seriously question his fundamentals and have always done so since he arrived. I keep watching the same flaws year in and year out. That is why I donít see much future for the program. Am I willing to say that he will never win it all? Yeah they might catch lightening in a bottle but I would say I am 98.7% sure he never will

Letsroll1200

« Reply #181 on: November 11, 2018, 11:49:04 pm »

Well they have won the western division of the sec four times under DVH. And as far as finding something good about the basketball program.....MA is a honest coach who runs a clean program. He is respectful and respected by his peers and players. He is a great ambassador for the school. He is a really good man...but I seriously question his fundamentals and have always done so since he arrived. I keep watching the same flaws year in and year out. That is why I donít see much future for the program. Am I willing to say that he will never win it all? Yeah they might catch lightening in a bottle but I would say I am 98.7% sure he never will

If basketball had divisions, Mike would have 3 Western division titles.

Knot2brite

« Reply #182 on: November 11, 2018, 11:56:06 pm »

Is that good enough for you?

natelepain

• Walk-On
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2018, 07:32:49 am »

...no matter what year it is or what group of players we have ...I see the same thing

While the problem isn't obvious to you, it is to many of us.

nlp

Breems

« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2018, 07:38:12 am »

Baseball played for hardware, that's the difference. Of course they dropped the ball because Arkansas, but basketball is still several steps away from that level of success.

Knot2brite

« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2018, 07:50:29 am »

While the problem isn't obvious to you, it is to many of us.

nlp
What problem am I oblivious to?

Letsroll1200

« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2018, 08:07:57 am »

Is that good enough for you?

You mentioned the only thing Van Horn has won is 4 division titles after 14 years. I like most people expected more but I never took into account the level of corruption in the sport. Also we've had so maby bad brakes. Just keep watching

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2018, 08:15:27 am »

van horn-16 years as hog baseball coach
4 world series-elite eight
6 super regionals- sweet sixteens
15 of 16 years made a regional

with baseball, most years the hogs have a shot at the sweet 16 & elite eight.

that is why there is excited around the program.

question did more people show up to the fall exhibition game at baum, or either exhibition game at bud walton?

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2018, 08:18:11 am »

question did more people show up to the fall exhibition game at baum, or either exhibition game at bud walton?
wasnt it free for baseball? There was almost 10,000 at the red/white basketball game because it was free.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2018, 08:23:27 am »

wasnt it free for baseball? There was almost 10,000 at the red/white basketball game because it was free.

baseball was free. thanks for the answer.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2018, 08:25:09 am »

baseball was free. thanks for the answer.
hard to get people to pay for a game that doesnít count. Kind of dumb but I guess Arkansas needs the money to pay for the football stadium

razorback1829

« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2018, 08:38:13 am »

Baseball: makes it to the championship game, loses, is talked about for 2 days, then no more.

Basketball: (hypothetical) makes it to the even the sweet sixteen, itís talked about until the next year.

2 entirely different animals. It wonít take much for CMA to ďovercomeĒ baseball excitement.

Swinesong1

« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2018, 08:45:27 am »

Yet another topic derailed.  I will say this, the same people championing the baseball team appear to be doing so because their previous "the future is brighter than basketball" poster child (football) hasn't lived up to the hype. 

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2018, 09:04:41 am »

You yourself admit you haven't watched much basketball the last two years, which have been two of the best years since the nineties.  Were there still divisions as in baseball, we would have won the West in 2017 and come in second to Auburn last year.  We haven't been the best in the SEC, but we've been one of the best teams three of the last four years.  I'm sorry you missed it all.  Hopefully, we'll be good again this year, though too early to tell.

Knot2brite

« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2018, 11:14:08 am »

You yourself admit you haven't watched much basketball the last two years, which have been two of the best years since the nineties.  Were there still divisions as in baseball, we would have won the West in 2017 and come in second to Auburn last year.  We haven't been the best in the SEC, but we've been one of the best teams three of the last four years.  I'm sorry you missed it all.  Hopefully, we'll be good again this year, though too early to tell.
No...I have watched but about two years ago I started to selectively watch...I watched faithfully until it became apparent that they were doing the same thing over and over. You think we have been one of rhe best teams in the sec the last four years? Ok..I can see that we have been above average in the sec ....and we have gone nowhere in the tourney. Yes we got screwed against UNC...but honestly...we were competive that year but not competing for a championship. That team was probably one of the best teams MA has been able to have here. The Portis/Qualls last team was almost as good. Neither was able to advance because they didnít do the fundamental things correctly. I watch the game until it becomes obvious we are spinning our wheels. I am not just in here to yell Fire MA! I watch the games and see the lack of the same thing year after year. Eventually I figured out that by the first of February .....itís baseball season...so yeah I watch them...and after baseball season comes...I watch them if they arenít interfering with me watching baseball.

Swinesong1

« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2018, 11:27:15 am »

No...I have watched but about two years ago I started to selectively watch...I watched faithfully until it became apparent that they were doing the same thing over and over. You think we have been one of rhe best teams in the sec the last four years? Ok..I can see that we have been above average in the sec ....and we have gone nowhere in the tourney. Yes we got screwed against UNC...but honestly...we were competive that year but not competing for a championship. That team was probably one of the best teams MA has been able to have here. The Portis/Qualls last team was almost as good. Neither was able to advance because they didnít do the fundamental things correctly. I watch the game until it becomes obvious we are spinning our wheels. I am not just in here to yell Fire MA! I watch the games and see the lack of the same thing year after year. Eventually I figured out that by the first of February .....itís baseball season...so yeah I watch them...and after baseball season comes...I watch them if they arenít interfering with me watching baseball.
So, why watch or keep up at all?  Nothing's changing right?  Why be "selective"? Just find something better to do.

toddfromdesarc

« Reply #196 on: November 12, 2018, 12:20:01 pm »

I don't think many people would be complaining about Mike if he had three final fours, an elite eight, and made the post season all but one year in a decade. You buy some grace mid season with those kind of results. Basketball has been nowhere near that type of success.

Not to mention the SEC is the best conference in baseball. Has been for years. The SEC will have been a bad league for 6 of Mike's 8 years.

mykidsdad

« Reply #197 on: November 12, 2018, 12:36:51 pm »

I don't think many people would be complaining about Mike if he had three final fours, an elite eight, and made the post season all but one year in a decade. You buy some grace mid season with those kind of results. Basketball has been nowhere near that type of success.

Not to mention the SEC is the best conference in baseball. Has been for years. The SEC will have been a bad league for 6 of Mike's 8 years.

Except you quoted facts that Nolan had and people were out for his head (and got it). Therefore I disregard everything you say as you are either misinformed, or just not being factual. The is a group at the UofA that will NEVER support coach A no matter what he does.

The reason they will never support coach A could be because he coaches differently from what they want to see, all the way up to absolute racism, or anywhere in between. Those people, and they tend to show up on message boards quite often, will always be around regardless of what is accomplished.

toddfromdesarc

« Reply #198 on: November 12, 2018, 12:45:09 pm »

Except you quoted facts that Nolan had and people were out for his head (and got it). Therefore I disregard everything you say as you are either misinformed, or just not being factual. The is a group at the UofA that will NEVER support coach A no matter what he does.

The reason they will never support coach A could be because he coaches differently from what they want to see, all the way up to absolute racism, or anywhere in between. Those people, and they tend to show up on message boards quite often, will always be around regardless of what is accomplished.

What in the world are you talking about?

Put the bottle down and go take a nap.

mykidsdad

« Reply #199 on: November 12, 2018, 12:51:34 pm »

What in the world are you talking about?

Put the bottle down and go take a nap.

You are an absolute idiot. Apparently besides being uninformed, you are also are unable to read. You are also ignored now because you are obviously a troll.

Enjoy posting to yourself MORON.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas