• 9,973,797 Posts
• 400,381 Topics
• 22,943 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warning concerning new faces  (Read 2848 times)

niels_boar

Warning concerning new faces
« on: November 07, 2018, 02:25:26 pm »

Some teams with a lot of new faces got bludgeoned last night trying to play quality opponents in their first outing.  For instance, Wichita St. returned only 11% of their minutes and got dominated at home by La Tech.  Tech led by 9+ most of the second half.  UF got bombed on the road by a good FSU team despite starting four experienced players, though the rest of their rotation is primarily frosh.

I have low expectations for the Texas game.  Maybe we can buck the trend with a good showing.  That would be a very good sign, but I'm not going to read much into it if we stumble badly. IMO this is pretty much an all upside game.

Kevin McPherson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Warning concerning new faces
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 02:53:08 pm »

Some teams with a lot of new faces got bludgeoned last night trying to play quality opponents in their first outing.  For instance, Wichita St. returned only 11% of their minutes and got dominated at home by La Tech.  Tech led by 9+ most of the second half.  UF got bombed on the road by a good FSU team despite starting four experienced players, though the rest of their rotation is primarily frosh.

I have low expectations for the Texas game.  Maybe we can buck the trend with a good showing.  That would be a very good sign, but I'm not going to read much into it if we stumble badly. IMO this is pretty much an all upside game.

Yep.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Pinto

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 03:07:07 pm »

Definitely not expecting much but effort from the guys on Friday. A win would send me into a false hope situation for the season lol

Swinesong1

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:28:35 pm »

Wait a minute!  The great Gregg Marshall lost at home to LA Tech?  Was Karl Malone playing?

Dirty

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:54:37 pm »

When I read the title I thought it would be about botox.   

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 05:17:53 pm »

Wondering why we didn't squeeze in an EIU level game like Texas did?  Why not to get that first real game under your belt for such a young/new team.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 05:52:41 pm »

I said something similar and seems like most disagree. Iím prepared to lose some games to average competition

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 06:16:05 pm »

Just expect 'em to be very up and down.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 06:20:42 pm »

I believe winning on a Neutral court against Texas is more believable than beating Indiana at home IMO, Langford is a stud 

nwahogfan1

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:01:59 pm »

Just expect 'em to be very up and down.

LOL.  That is a typical Mike Anderson team.    But I agree.  This team will definitely be up and down unless they have a Whole lot more inside scoring and rebounding than what I expect.  Plus Mike's teams typically want to play uptempo and want to turn you over so they can get easy shots.  I am interested if that will be typical this year.

FineAsSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville think tank
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 10:24:52 pm »

In spite of all the hype about what Penny Hardaway was going to do with his highly rated recruits coming in to rebuild the roster that was depleted under tubby Smith, it was Tubby's guys who Penny relied on to get the win in their opening game. The Returning players scored 61 points and the hot new recruits only scored 15 points.

Breems

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 09:11:33 am »

I expect a 15-20 point loss. Tough for a brand new team to play with the confidence required to win a road game.

Other than Joe 3s and Gafford dunks, I expect the offense to be a total crapshoot.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 09:13:27 am »

I expect a 15-20 point loss. Tough for a brand new team to play with the confidence required to win a road game.

Other than Joe 3s and Gafford dunks, I expect the offense to be a total crapshoot.
Screw Texass!   ::hornsdown::

hoglee

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 10:18:28 am »

I think they are going to win.  We have a great center, a pure shooter and a serious point guard.  Texas are poor shooters.  We will see.

razorback1829

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 10:37:33 am »

Texas canít shoot. As long as we start fast and score early (no slow start). We get out ahead early and play loose, I donít think Texas will be able to come back.

BaconTheSaddleAgain

• Band Nerd
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 11:01:24 am »

Then again, sometimes you get a bunch new faces that have done nothing but dominate their competition in high school and JUCO and they bring that same attitude to big boy basketball. They go out and win a game, and the confidence and swagger becomes contagious and you get world beaters.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 06:12:25 pm »

On paper, the Hogs are in for a learning kind of season and MAís career road record should take a further beating. The posting here though will be through the roof in entertainment value.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 06:23:01 pm »

On paper, the Hogs are in for a learning kind of season and MAís career road record should take a further beating. The posting here though will be through the roof in entertainment value.
Not gonna lie the Hogs are too 2-3 in road wins in the last 4 seasons in the SEC

hawgball40

• #wps4life
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 07:03:12 pm »

You left out one of the biggest stories of all in this post. Kentucky got taken behind the woodshed and beat senseless by Duke tuesday night. It was a beatdown for the ages. They were down almost 50 points at one point, and ended up losing by 34 points 118-84. Duke had their foot off the gas for most of the second half as well and just scored at will on kentucky all night long. Kentucky has no shooters and their defense is baby lotion soft. If you can stop kentuckys dribble drive game they can't score at all.

USChog

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 10:20:47 pm »

If he can play consistent hard-nosed defense it will help us with some of the ups and downs. All guesswork at this point though.

HogBreath

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2018, 05:24:14 am »

Well, it's a road game for Texass too....will we both lose?

twistitup

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2018, 05:28:47 am »

We beat TX in El Paso...the spirit of Nolan is still there.

razorback1829

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2018, 07:43:39 am »

Neutral site games are a road game now??

Breems

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2018, 08:09:23 am »

Neutral site games are a road game now??

I'm assuming Texas will have a much bigger crowd in El Paso, TX.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2018, 08:14:16 am »

im assuming itíll be mostly armed forces.

razorback1829

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2018, 08:31:13 am »

Donít ASSume. Both teams only have 45 tickets. Then the rest are servicemen. Might be 1,000 in attendance total.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2018, 08:42:17 am »

I counted the Texass game as a non-conference loss, along with Texas Tech. If Indiana and Georgia Tech were on the road I would have counted them too, but since they are in the confines of BWA, I believe the Hogs can win those.
We do not have any idea how all of these newcomers will perform. While it is true that many of them have played together in the AAU circuit for years, and that is a good thing, it's not the same as playing major college basketball. It's too bad that Gafford will be gone after this season, because if he came back for the 2019-2020 season, and these freshmen proved to be good, that team might really make some hay in the SEC!
But, as it is, we will just have to hope that the new guys develop enough, and win enough, over the next 7-8 weeks through the non-conference schedule, that they are competitive once SEC play begins.

I still see this team winning 9-10 non-conference games, and 9-10 SEC games.
18-13, 19-12, 20-11...any of these three are probable as long as the team doesn't collapse at some point during the season and just gives up the ghost. An NIT bid is most likely, although a 20-win team with a winning conference record might be good enough to lose in the 1st round of the NCAA's.....again.

Breems

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2018, 11:47:53 am »

Donít ASSume. Both teams only have 45 tickets. Then the rest are servicemen. Might be 1,000 in attendance total.

Neat. I was quite uninformed.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2018, 12:33:21 pm »

all depends on the defensive effort. We have a chance if our D gets after it.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2018, 12:34:01 pm »

all depends on the defensive effort. We have a chance if our D gets after it.
if a dog bites, itís going to bite as a pup

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2018, 12:39:50 pm »

if a dog bites, itís going to bite as a pup
I expect defensive effort to be the best its been in years.

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville: The mosh pit of Razorbackland
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2018, 12:59:37 pm »

Arkansas's 1992-93 team was loaded with new faces. That was maybe my favorite season of Razorback basketball. Didn't back down from anybody.

razorback1829

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2018, 01:18:24 pm »

Arkansas's 1992-93 team was loaded with new faces. That was maybe my favorite season of Razorback basketball. Didn't back down from anybody.

Not saying this team will be that... but I think we will definitely see a lot of similarities in the way this team is gonna fight.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Seven of Nine says '69 is closer to 9 than to 7
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2018, 03:07:52 pm »

Texas isn't what you think they are. The Hogs finally have a team that will put the old Razorback "D" on you. I've got the feeling that Mike has made it clear that defense and the actual playing of it is the main thing that will earn you playing time. We take over after about 5 minutes into the game and coast to about an 8 point win.

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2018, 03:29:29 pm »

Different times, different coach.

I expect a jittery team to get run out of the gym. There is very little historical evidence under MA to expect much this year.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2018, 03:39:25 pm »

I expect a jittery team to get run out of the gym. There is very little historical evidence under MA to expect much this year.
i knew ole boy would come out of the woodworks

LAHogfan123

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2018, 04:03:31 pm »

I think they are going to win.  We have a great center, a pure shooter and a serious point guard.  Texas are poor shooters.  We will see.

We will be playing on the road, fouls are going to be called against us because we are the away team, and that spells disaster for us with Gafford the way he's been shooting FT's.  Joe has been hitting 3's, but other than him, we need other guys to really light it up tonight for us to have any chance to win.

Swinesong1

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2018, 04:24:44 pm »

I don't know if you're serious or being sarcastic.  I want to believe you're being sarcastic.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2018, 05:16:56 pm »

We will be playing on the road, fouls are going to be called against us because we are the away team, and that spells disaster for us with Gafford the way he's been shooting FT's.  Joe has been hitting 3's, but other than him, we need other guys to really light it up tonight for us to have any chance to win.
It is a neutral site man, pretty much the only people in attendance are armed force men. Should be pretty even calling.

bigpigpimpin

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2018, 05:18:25 pm »

In other words, bite the pillow cause texas is going in dry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas