• 9,973,857 Posts
• 400,382 Topics
• 22,943 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arkansas lands Offensive lineman for Class of 2019  (Read 3532 times)

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Arkansas lands Offensive lineman for Class of 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 02:51:28 pm »

At this point, I'll take any offensive lineman. They need numbers.

It's very noticeable to me...that the O-line recruits are slower to come by, and the caliber of player is lesser as well.
Compare the ranking and offer list of the D-line commitments and WR commitments versus the O-linemen. The D-line and WR offer lists are insane. Very, very good.
Not so much with the O-linemen.

This concerns me and I sure hope it changes. But it tells me O-linemen aren't excited about playing in this offense. I'm open to other theories. But I don't know what else to think at this point. There is a reason why the UA is struggling to get O-linemen to sign up, and that's all I got for now.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ricepig

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 03:00:39 pm »

It's very noticeable to me...that the O-line recruits are slower to come by, and the caliber of player is lesser as well.
Compare the ranking and offer list of the D-line commitments and WR commitments versus the O-linemen. The D-line and WR offer lists are insane. Very, very good.

This concerns me and I sure hope it changes. But it tells me O-linemen aren't excited about playing in this offense. I'm open to other theories. But I don't know what else to think at this point. There is a reason why the UA is struggling to get O-linemen to sign up, and that's all I got for now.

Is this offense that much different than the rest of the RPO type ones? I think the fact that Fry doesn't have a track record of putting guys in the league hurts, our W/L record isn't great, and we don't have a lot of stellar playmakers on the offensive side of the ball on the current roster.

liljo

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:35:56 pm »

Welcome aboard, Dylan!

GO HOGS!

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:49:28 pm »

Welcome aboard young man, I'll be excited to see you reach your potential playing for the Arkansas Razorbacks.  WPS!

HogJowler

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 05:49:26 pm »

Doesn't seem to stop them from going to Clemson.  Same Offense.

It is all about winning.  If you win it they will come.

Jahog2020

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 06:41:56 pm »

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 08:05:23 pm »

Glad to get this kid. 

Does anyone else think that CCM may have plans to move some of these D Linemen to O Line?

It’s been widely speculated that possibly 1 or 2 of the DL commits could be looked at more as OL possibilities once they get on campus or at least that they will be evaluated for both OL and DL when they get here.  Miller is one that I believe I have seen discussed as a possible move to OL.

TheRazorback500

• All-American Hogvillian
  • It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 08:22:36 pm »

Great to hear after a tough day. Welcome! WPS

wachhog

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:40:41 pm »

Like they were excited about playing in Bert’s offense?

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 09:44:28 am »

Like they were excited about playing in Bert’s offense?
Bielema didn't have trouble attracting quality O-linemen.
Why? That's what he emphasized. That's what he was associated with. I think that helped recruiting.
Similarly, Petrino had no trouble getting quality offensive skill guys because that's what his calling card was: offense
If recruits know what your 'specialty' is, it's easier to recruit that particular area. Recruits will be attracted to that area because they know the philosophy features that.

I may be premature saying O-line recruits are not excited to play in a spread offense, but until we start signing some highly recruited O-linemen, one will wonder about that possibility.

JackJohnson

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 10:01:52 am »

Why? That's what he emphasized. That's what he was associated with. I think that helped recruiting.
Similarly, Petrino had no trouble getting quality offensive skill guys because that's what his calling card was: offense
If recruits know what your 'specialty' is, it's easier to recruit that particular area. Recruits will be attracted to that area because they know the philosophy features that.

I may be premature saying O-line recruits are not excited to play in a spread offense, but until we start signing some highly recruited O-linemen, one will wonder about that possibility.

90% of college offenses run some form of RPO these days.

Bielema's OL recruiting outside of his 1st two years was atrocious. I'm glad he was able to sign 1-2 4* OL per year, but guess what if you don't hit on 100% you are in trouble, and even then you are still woefully thin on the OL.  See right now.  It is simple math and most of those on HV didn't see it other than those like myself and Wildhog until it was too late

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 10:09:56 am »

after Pittman left our O-line recruiting sucked.  Its why we are in the shape we are. 

AugustaHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 11:36:09 am »

after Pittman left our O-line recruiting sucked.  Its why we are in the shape we are.
It started sucking his last year or so here.  I, like many others, believe that he was pissed with CBB and the discord in the staff caused the recruiting to go down. 

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 01:30:29 pm »

There is no question the quality of the O-line play post-Sam Pittman was bad, and maybe recruiting also.
They went from leading the SEC in only allowing 8 sacks in 2015, to becoming a sieve the following year, and 2017 wasn't much better.
Pittman was a great O-line coach.
His successor, Kurt Anderson, was terrible.

I'm one of those who thinks Pittman's departure was the major domino in Bielema's fall.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 06:05:59 pm »

I'm not going to say our O-Line recruiting "sucked" because that's saying something really negative about the current players on our roster. I will agree however, that our O-Line produced at a higher level under Pittman than the O-Line coaches who followed him. Maybe Fry will break that trend. I think the players that we have on the O-Line have more potential in terms of performance than what they have shown to date, but they are matriculating under a new scheme with a new O-Line coach who embraces different fundamentals. They are just beginning to get it. The 2019 unit will be more productive and earlier than the 2018 version. JMO

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 09:28:28 am »

...And it could be that the first Hogville post of the few linemen we do get committed has someone calling them less than stellar...  I'm just sayin'...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas