• 9,965,271 Posts
• 400,172 Topics
• 22,936 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POOR SHOOTING DOOMS BEARS IN 68-55 LOSS AT MIZZOU  (Read 45 times)

Seminole Indian

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
POOR SHOOTING DOOMS BEARS IN 68-55 LOSS AT MIZZOU
« on: November 07, 2018, 07:55:03 am »

COLUMBIA, Mo. _ The University of  Central Arkansas Bears hit 10 three-pointers but shot just 32.8 percent from the field overall and dropped a 68-55 decision to the Missouri Tigers in their season opener at Mizzou Arena.

The Bears got 19 points from true freshman Eddy Kayouloud, who was 4 of 8 from three-point range, and 14 points from sophomore point guard DeAndre Jones. UCA, which trailed by as much as 13 points in the first half, got better on the defensive end in the second half and stayed within striking distance of the SEC Tigers until the final two minutes, despite shooting that poorly from the field.

UCA closed to within just seven points on Kayouloud's layup with 10:42 remaining. But an 11-1 run by the Tigers bumped UCA's deficit to 17 points with 8:30 remaining but the Bears got it to 10 points one more tim on Kayouloud's third three-pointer that capped a 6-0 personal run by the freshman.

From there, the Tigers made six of six at the free-throw line to offset Kayouloud's fourth three. Jones made a layup for UCA's final points. The 13-point margin was considerably better than the only other meeting between the teams when the Tigers won by 53 points (116-63) back in 2010.

"We didn't shoot the ball very well,' said UCA head coach Russ Pennell. "I didn't like the way we ran our offense. I just didn't think we had the movement we needed. I don't  know if you'd call it isolation or what, but we really don't play that way. But it kind of turned into that. You know, it may have just been a different style of defense. We kind of get after each other more in practice. They pressured a little but they were playing more gaps and that will make you a little more passive.

"We didn't get it side to side like I wanted, and when we did in the second half, we got some great looks. And that's something we have to go work on, and we'll figure that part out. I was happy with our effort, I was happy with the defensive end, I was happy with the rebounding. I told them it's a long season. In the past we might have gotten blown out of a game like that, and I thought we hung in there.'

The Bears connected on four three-pointers in the first half and fought back from an early 13-point deficit to get within 30-20 at halftime, despite shooting just 26.7 percent from the field. Freshman Eddy Kayouloud hit a pair of threes, with senior Thatch Unruh and sophomore DeAndre Jones adding the others.

Kayouloud's first career basket was a three-pointer at the 7:50 mark of the first half. His second came one minute later and Jones added his to bring the Bears within 20-16 with 4:50 to play. But the Tigers nailed their fifth three-pointer of the half to push their lead back out to 12 points before UCA freshman SK Shittu made a jumper in the paint to set the halftime margin at 10 points.

Kayouloud went 7 for 13 overall, while Jones was 5 of 9. Senior forward/center Tanner Schmit addaed a pair of three-pointers, the first two of his career and added six points and four rebounds. Those three offset four starters who combined to go 4 for 24 from the field.

"Eddy's played in big games,' said Pennell."He played on the French national team, so he's played in big European tournaments. And he played at Oak Hill Academy, where he was on ESPN more times than he'll ever be at UCA. So this is just another day at the office for him. One thing we asked him to do about two weeks ago was start shooting the ball, because he can really shoot it. It's kind of a set shot but man it goes in. And I thought tonight he came out and played to win.'

UCA ended up shooting better from three-point range (37 percent) than overall (32.8 percent).

"I thought we had some pretty good looks, some shots that we normally make,' said Pennell.  "And when we moved the ball, we looked pretty good. I know what we're capable of doing. I just thought tonight we just didn't shoot the ball the way we're capable of doing until the second half. By then, a couple of guys lost their confidence in their shots. And that's something we need to work on.'

Mark Smith topped the Tigers with five three-pointers and 19 points, while center Jeremiah Tilmon added 16 points. Smith and Kevin Puryear had 10 rebounds each.

UCA returns home for two games at the Farris Center, starting with a cross-town matchup with Hendrix College at 7 p.m. Thursday, followed by University of the Ozarks at 7 p.m. Monday.

https://ucasports.com/news/2018/11/6/mens-basketball-poor-shooting-dooms-bears-in-68-55-loss-at-mizzou.aspx
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas