• 9,965,282 Posts
• 400,173 Topics
• 22,936 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The perfect coach for Arkansas  (Read 4973 times)

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Gameday Goon
Re: The perfect coach for Arkansas
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2018, 11:13:18 am »

I think Petrino is actually a much better X’s and O’s coach than Saban. But yea, I agree with what you’re saying.

I just don't see this at all.  Granted they both coach different sides of the ball so its hard to really say, but in no way do I see how someone could think bobby petrino is a better x's and o's coach than nick saban. 

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2018, 12:03:58 pm »

When it comes right down to the nut cuttin, there isnt much difference between saban and petrino

They're both great coaches. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogusta National

« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2018, 12:19:32 pm »

All of this sounds like one big "you" problem.

Unhappy with Saban because he gives snarky responses to stupid questions from reporters? Are you kidding?

If someone gave you a million bucks you'd bitch that it wasn't a million and one.

And yet here you are pissing and moaning about what he said.  Don't you get it!!!!  We all have something to bitch about.

Mike Irwin

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2018, 01:58:55 pm »

We fired the best coach in the history of our program, too. Not that different of a circumstance insofar as neither were related to on the field results.
The difference between the two firings was night and day. Petrino was sleeping with a young woman who was not his wife and he hired her for a job inside the athletic department over other more qualified candidates. The university was lucky it didn't get sued.

Texas Tech's old goat of an AD was jealous of Leach's success and popularity with the fans. Gerald Myers used a fake claim by an entitled athlete to oust Leach. There is some pretty good evidence that Meyers pressured the team's trainer to change his story about what really happened between Leach and Craig James' son. Basically he fired Leach on a lie.

Anybody helping out with the job search at Arkansas who believed the crap they got from Texas Tech officials didn't need to be involved on the job search in the first place.

BTW Leach is giving Washington State success like it's never had and Texas Tech is back to being crappy again. Leach is a much better head coach than Bobby Petrino.

zeke_in_kc

« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2018, 03:24:00 pm »

...BTW Leach is giving Washington State success like it's never had and Texas Tech is back to being crappy again. Leach is a much better head coach than Bobby Petrino.

I'm writing this twenty miles south of Pullman, WA.  Yes, Leach is superior to CBP achieving success -- twice -- in the middle of nowhere.

1.  We should have sold our soul to get him.
2.  I wanted him last year.

But he is an odd duck.  I think UA leadership wants someone to look/act the part as much as anything else and Leach doesn't pass the eye test.  That bites.   :-[

HogPharmer

« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2018, 03:47:35 pm »

I'm writing this twenty miles south of Pullman, WA.  Yes, Leach is superior to CBP achieving success -- twice -- in the middle of nowhere.

But he is an odd duck.  I think UA leadership wants someone to look/act the part as much as anything else and Leach doesn't pass the eye test.  That bites.   :-[

• Senior
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2018, 03:49:40 pm »

I hope you never get over it I thoroughly and immensely enjoy your distress. The only thing better is 3 years from now when We are relevant again.

• Senior
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2018, 04:02:51 pm »

We fired the best coach in the history of our program, too. Not that different of a circumstance insofar as neither were related to on the field results.

Yeah we never should have fired Ken Hatfield. But I thought it was for his boring style of play. What happened off the field. Btw his winning percentage was the highest in Arkansas history more than 100 points higher than Petrino

zeke_in_kc

« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2018, 04:09:56 pm »

...The only thing better is 3 years from now when We are relevant again.

1.  Coach searches ARE newsworthy.
2.  Three years seems optimistic.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2018, 04:37:57 pm »

They wanted Gus. They thought they had him mainly because booster friends of Gus didn't seem to know that he was playing them. When he said no Morris and Mike Norvell were next on the list because they wanted to get as far away from Bielema's offense as possible.

Mike Leach wanted the job but somebody in the athletic department called Texas Tech and they told hd im Leach was a loose cannon. In the end Morris got the job because of his recruiting ties in Texas. Based on his recruiting so far it seems like a good call. Stupid to trust Texas Tech officials about Leach though. He's the best coach in the history of their program and they fired him.

Morons.
No Shiite.  Oh, and he wins games.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2018, 05:51:52 pm »

The difference between the two firings was night and day. Petrino was sleeping with a young woman who was not his wife and he hired her for a job inside the athletic department over other more qualified candidates. The university was lucky it didn't get sued.

Texas Tech's old goat of an AD was jealous of Leach's success and popularity with the fans. Gerald Myers used a fake claim by an entitled athlete to oust Leach. There is some pretty good evidence that Meyers pressured the team's trainer to change his story about what really happened between Leach and Craig James' son. Basically he fired Leach on a lie.

Anybody helping out with the job search at Arkansas who believed the crap they got from Texas Tech officials didn't need to be involved on the job search in the first place.

BTW Leach is giving Washington State success like it's never had and Texas Tech is back to being crappy again. Leach is a much better head coach than Bobby Petrino.

To be clear, I would 1000x prefer Leach over anyone we seriously considered hiring. There is no question he can coach exceptionally well, none.

But there is no way we fired BP over PR issue to have a six year horrible stretch and then hire another potential PR issue. Whether you believe it or not, the claim is he essentially abused a player by putting him in a shed. There are several players who backed up this student's complaint. Are they all liars, Mike?? Also, if so, why didn't Mike Leach ever win a lawsuit related to this??? He sure claimed he was going to...In fact, Mike Leach himself is currently being sued by former players. https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-tech/article204380564.html

Given this is directly related to the football program, in some ways this is worse than what a coach does on his own time. Of course, CBP hiring Jessica tied his situation to the football program as well. Hence why they really are not that different.

"I have no complaints about this decision. [Leach] put Adam [James] in a shed like an animal. Like an animal in a cage. That was bull," defensive lineman Chris Perry said. "You call other players. I think it was a good decision. We have our pep back now. We practice hard this week. We had less stress this week. You know why? Because he's gone."

Wide receiver Tramain Swindall said he supported the decision to fire Leach.

"I do agree and I'm supporting Adam and what he's doing because it's the right thing to do," Swindall told the AP in a telephone interview.

Swindall said he believes Leach was at times out of line in how he treated players.

"And so do most of the players," he said. "It wasn't just about Adam. It was always a negative vibe."

Said cornerback Taylor Charbonnet: "The players make this team, not one coach. As Adam's friend, I didn't like it at all what [Leach] did. He was my brother and I didn't agree with it. I don't know why [Leach] did that. But I know we are fully behind [interim] coach Ruffin [McNeill]. We love him and support him."

Athog

« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2018, 06:19:43 pm »

I called Petrino a jerk earlier (I think in another thread).  I have no problem with a coach being a jerk unless it hurts the team.  Petrino's bad attitude and demeanor pissed off a BUNCH of high school coaches.  That really hurts your recruiting.  That was my problem with him. 

Agreed. He also pissed off many alum! But high school coaches seem to really not like him or at least the ones I know.

• Senior
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2018, 09:03:50 am »

1.  Coach searches ARE newsworthy.
2.  Three years seems optimistic.

3 years seems optimistic to you? I am going to love reading your comments for more than three years. As Billy Clinton Said " I feel your pain" . Then I get to watch you eat crow. You like Indian food? I will send you some curry. lol

Hogwild

« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2018, 09:52:25 pm »

Agreed. He also pissed off many alum! But high school coaches seem to really not like him or at least the ones I know.

Seems like he also pissed off a lot of his players-

If a recent report is any indication, his players have made their feelings known.

Mark Ennis, a radio host covering Louisville sports, tweeted Wednesday that 20 Cardinals players have put in a request to obtain transfer paperwork. Ennis clarified that this doesn’t mean 20 players have officially filed the paperwork and that a Louisville spokesperson denied his report, which he credited to an unnamed source in the school’s athletic department.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/bobby-petrino-effect-20-louisville-players-have-reportedly-requested-transfer-paperwork-this-fall/

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #114 on: November 08, 2018, 10:55:00 am »

This is one of the better things I've read here in a long time. While you can't fit all fans into a box most Arkansas fans I've been around over the years want to win but they don't want a jerk for a coach and they would not approve of cheating. Long may have made the Internet crowd mad by firing Petrino but out in the real world almost every fan I ran into back then was glad he got the boot.

I don't agree that these fans are satisfied with "window dressing." They want to win and they haven't given up on the possibility of getting a coach who wins while being somebody they can be proud of.

Chad Morris doesn't ride motorcycles with female volleyball players. He doesn't frequent a private drinking establishment on Dickson Street. He's not a jerk in press conferences. He's not going to poke fun of NW Arkansas as a place to live.

He's the hardest working Arkansas head coach I've seen since Frank. His car is at the football operations center from early, early 'till late, late. His recruiting is better organized than any other Arkansas coach I've been around.

I don't think his staff is in the same league with Frank's or Lou's but is better than those of the other Hog head coaches I've been around.

Hatfield had a below average staff. Crowe wasn't around long enough to assemble a credible staff. Danny Ford's assistants fought all the time. I was never impressed with Nutt's guys. Petrino had a bunch of yes men around him. Bielema went downhill in a hurry with his coaching hires.   

At this point I'd have to question Morris' ingame decisions but some of that could be the situation he's in. Trying change offensive and defensive systems with a program that is near the bottom of the  SEC in talent is hell.

I'd give him a couple of more years and reevaluate the situation. He is a good guy and if he wins Hog fans will love him.

Now this is one of the better things I’ve read on the subject. Some straight forward things yet also some “read between the lines” type stuff. Well done.

FourthandShort

• Band Nerd
  • This ain't my first rodeo
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2018, 02:43:35 pm »

They're both great coaches.

You are kind of right.  Petrino is a great offensive coordinator, and a terrible head coach.  Look at who works for him, coaches refuse to put up with his tantrums and so he is limited in who will come to work for him. 

Kids know this and so while he can recruit some players, he struggles to close on a lot as they know his reputation.  In addition to this, Petrino has a long history of demonstrating how much he hates recruiting which leads to what you see this year in year 5.  He has a significant talent deficiency.

Petrino will be a great OC somewhere, but thats it.  That is his ceiling.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2018, 08:01:19 pm »

You are kind of right. 

Never been said to hogcards before. Ever. You may get bant for such a statement. Nothing personal but I have to report this to mods so they’ll believe this was said.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2018, 08:02:43 pm »

Clearly there is a gap (err....chasm) between the perfect coach for Hogville vs the perfect coach for Arkansas.

wachhog

« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2018, 08:07:18 pm »

Y'all want to rag the guy but I believe a majority of Arkansans feel this way. The "perfect coach" at Arkansas has to be a good PR guy and say the right things, look the part. Dumber than a bag of hammers to me as well but that's the way it is.

We could win national championships but if the guy "is a jerk" our fans and more importantly people calling the shots wouldn't go for it. The rest of the SEC wants to win...I think our state wants window dressing above all else.

Chad Morris fits the bill perfectly on a PR standpoint. Hopefully he can win too, that'd be nice.
This.^^^^

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #119 on: November 08, 2018, 08:58:31 pm »

Clearly there is a gap (err....chasm) between the perfect coach for Hogville vs the perfect coach for Arkansas.
What gap ???

This gap ???

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2018, 10:50:19 am »

What gap ???

This one feels right, give or take a tooth.

HogPharmer

« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2018, 11:00:31 am »

What gap ???

This gap ???

Is that Michael Strahan's brother?

RazorPiggie

« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2018, 11:48:49 am »

Here's a question, who is the last nice coach that everyone loves in all of college football that wins at a high rate? Off the top of my head I can think of maybe Mark Richt. That's what we need at Arkansas, a guy that is all smiles and everyone loves and wins at a high rate. Zero baggage Lol.

Bielemas baggage was his appearance and like for the bottle. Petrino well known, Nutt well known. The only non football thing Morris is getting hammered for on a PR standpoint is the Friday night absence to watch his son play football. A lot of that are pro Bielema people simply lashing out at anything.

Morris does fit the "perfect coach" narrative for Arkansas in most ways. But he will have to win a few games at some point.

I think if he can win 6-8 games per year once he gets his own guys he will be able to stay as long as he wants. Razorback fans aren't going to require that many wins these days because it's been so long since we have competited much. All he has to do so smile and say the right things, win a few games and he is golden. Who said Arkansas is a bad place to come coach? Keeping your nose clean is probably the #1 job prerequisite.

Dabo?

Mike Irwin

« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2018, 01:55:27 pm »

To be clear, I would 1000x prefer Leach over anyone we seriously considered hiring. There is no question he can coach exceptionally well, none.

But there is no way we fired BP over PR issue to have a six year horrible stretch and then hire another potential PR issue. Whether you believe it or not, the claim is he essentially abused a player by putting him in a shed. There are several players who backed up this student's complaint. Are they all liars, Mike?? Also, if so, why didn't Mike Leach ever win a lawsuit related to this??? He sure claimed he was going to...In fact, Mike Leach himself is currently being sued by former players. https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-tech/article204380564.html

Given this is directly related to the football program, in some ways this is worse than what a coach does on his own time. Of course, CBP hiring Jessica tied his situation to the football program as well. Hence why they really are not that different.
I grew up west of Lubbock. I have a bunch of friends who are Tech boosters plus Nexstar TV, which owns KNWA/KARK where I work, also has a station in Lubbock. I know what happened with Leach.

He had a mandatory rule that injured players who were able to attend practice must dress in official team warm ups. Adam James showed up one day wearing sun glasses and his own personal warmups. Leach asked the team trainer what was up with James and the sunglasses.

He was told that the kid was under concussion protocol and his eyes were sensitive to the sun. There was an equipment building next to the practice field. It was air conditioned and heated. He told the trainer to put James in there. It would solve two problems. He would not need the sunglasses and no one would see him wearing his own personal warm ups.

Was he pissed at James. Yes he was. The kid's dad (Craig James) had been bugging the crap out of Leach with phone calls throughout the season asking why his kid wasn't getting more playing time. Also the kid had big time attitude problem.

So Adam James was told to go to the equipment room and stay there until practice was over. Once inside he entered a closet, took out his cellphone and created the impression that he had been locked in that closet for the duration of practice.

It was a complete lie.

All hell broke loose on the Internet. The team trainer initially stated that at no time was Adam James told to get into a closet much less being locked up in it.

Gerald Meyers threatened the guy with his job and he changed his story.

The whole Tech fan base knows this story. They also know that Meyers and the school's chancellor fired the most successful coach in the history of the school and refused to pay his buyout. It was their loss big time. Their days of going to bowls every year are over. 

Tech's Loss has been Washington State's gain. Ask those folks if Leach is an out of control coach who harms his players.

As for why he didn't sue the state of Texas has a law that prevented it. And those two WSU players that are suing him? Good luck. They were charged with theft. The charges were dropped but clearly Leach had higher standards. He didn't want them on the team. Guess what? Coaches can ask players to leave the team. They say, We're moving forward without you. Bye.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 02:19:35 pm by Mike Irwin »

Pigstie

« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2018, 02:03:06 pm »

Why didn't we try to get him?

Mike Irwin

« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2018, 02:14:14 pm »

I know Gus well Mike.  I kept up with him throughout the whole coaching search and he not coming to Arkansas, was never interested in coming here.  I don't care what anyone heard or what you guys in the media wanted to speculate.   I told two people on Hogville that kept it quite that Malzahn was not coming here when every media member had all but said he was seriously considering it. That was a lie!  Malzahn would have came here only if he would have been fired at Auburn, but he did not WANT to come here.   I know him well and even I didn't want him as our coach, I wanted Kiffin.   

I never said he wanted to come here. A bunch of upper level boosters who knew him well and were willing to pony up for a 7 year, 7million a year contract thought he would come and they knew him really well. Instead he used the Arkansas offer to get himself the same contract at Auburn. He would have come to Arkansas had Auburn not agreed to extend his contract. It was all about job security but all things being equal, yes he'd rather be at Auburn.

Gus is one of the most bottom line people I've ever been around. His trail is littered with broken promises. He's burned his last bridge in this state. The ASU people were already pissed at him. Now, what few UA booster friends he had, want nothing more to do with him.   

I don't wish him bad luck but he picked the wrong school if he wanted job security. Auburn will fire him. It's just a matter of time. He'll be fired but with a huge nest egg. His wife told some of her friends last year that if he got fired he'd come back to Arkansas and coach high school ball.

I'd like to see that.

zeke_in_kc

« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2018, 02:01:04 pm »

Why didn't we try to get him [Leach]?

Personal opinion?

He doesn't "look" the part.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2018, 03:35:49 pm »

Two winningest coaches in Arkansas history.....  Holtz and Hatfield.....  guess what?  We ran both of them off.....  good luck getting someone great given the meddlesome history of the PTB......  heck, they wouldn’t even take a look at Switzer & Johnson....  two men with deep Arkansas ties and two of only three coaches to ever win both collegiate national championships and Super Bowls.....   PTB sure appear to be very arrogant....

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/arkansas/coaches.html
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 08:52:10 pm by DLUXHOG »

Piglet

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2018, 05:37:06 pm »

Yeah we never should have fired Ken Hatfield. But I thought it was for his boring style of play. What happened off the field. Btw his winning percentage was the highest in Arkansas history more than 100 points higher than Petrino

As I remember Hatfield was not fired.  He took the job at Clemson to get away from Broyles.  Frank was always meddling with the program, encouraging Ken to change some of his assistants every year.  Funny how times have changed.  Back in Frank's day, it was good to change assistants on a routine basis.  Now it is better to avoid assistant turnover.  With the recruiting limits now in place, it is more important for the assistants to stay in place and build long-term relationships with the recruits.

wachhog

« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2018, 06:02:10 pm »

Now this is one of the better things I’ve read on the subject. Some straight forward things yet also some “read between the lines” type stuff. Well done.
This.^^^

26.2Hog

• Senior
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2018, 06:02:28 pm »

As I remember Hatfield was not fired.  He took the job at Clemson to get away from Broyles.  Frank was always meddling with the program, encouraging Ken to change some of his assistants every year.  Funny how times have changed.  Back in Frank's day, it was good to change assistants on a routine basis.  Now it is better to avoid assistant turnover.  With the recruiting limits now in place, it is more important for the assistants to stay in place and build long-term relationships with the recruits.

Correct about Hatfield not being fired, and about Broyles meddling.  Hatfield was coming off consecutive conference championships, and a new contract was on his desk awaiting signature when he bolted for Clemson

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2018, 06:07:33 pm »

frank wanted hatfield to fire some assistants

wachhog

« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2018, 06:10:43 pm »

I grew up west of Lubbock. I have a bunch of friends who are Tech boosters plus Nexstar TV, which owns KNWA/KARK where I work, also has a station in Lubbock. I know what happened with Leach.

He had a mandatory rule that injured players who were able to attend practice must dress in official team warm ups. Adam James showed up one day wearing sun glasses and his own personal warmups. Leach asked the team trainer what was up with James and the sunglasses.

He was told that the kid was under concussion protocol and his eyes were sensitive to the sun. There was an equipment building next to the practice field. It was air conditioned and heated. He told the trainer to put James in there. It would solve two problems. He would not need the sunglasses and no one would see him wearing his own personal warm ups.

Was he pissed at James. Yes he was. The kid's dad (Craig James) had been bugging the crap out of Leach with phone calls throughout the season asking why his kid wasn't getting more playing time. Also the kid had big time attitude problem.

So Adam James was told to go to the equipment room and stay there until practice was over. Once inside he entered a closet, took out his cellphone and created the impression that he had been locked in that closet for the duration of practice.

It was a complete lie.

All hell broke loose on the Internet. The team trainer initially stated that at no time was Adam James told to get into a closet much less being locked up in it.

Gerald Meyers threatened the guy with his job and he changed his story.

The whole Tech fan base knows this story. They also know that Meyers and the school's chancellor fired the most successful coach in the history of the school and refused to pay his buyout. It was their loss big time. Their days of going to bowls every year are over. 

Tech's Loss has been Washington State's gain. Ask those folks if Leach is an out of control coach who harms his players.

As for why he didn't sue the state of Texas has a law that prevented it. And those two WSU players that are suing him? Good luck. They were charged with theft. The charges were dropped but clearly Leach had higher standards. He didn't want them on the team. Guess what? Coaches can ask players to leave the team. They say, We're moving forward without you. Bye.
Thank you. Geeze, I get sick of entitled parents, GOBN. fans. But, such is life.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas