Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Texas  (Read 478 times)

Buff

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • My avatar was the owner throwing the horns
Texas
« on: November 04, 2018, 03:05:43 pm »

Harvick has led 37 laps and has over a 3 second lead right now - looks like a handy favorite to win Stage 1.

With the tracks coming after this - Phoenix and Homestead - it's bad news for the rest of the field if the 4 team picks today to get their groove back.

Kyle Busch and Martin Truex are going to have to peddle their cars faster today.

ImHogginIt

Re: Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 03:28:19 pm »

Look how empty the place is

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ImHogginIt

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 03:29:41 pm »

First Texas race I've not attended in a while

Buff

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 03:36:44 pm »

Single-groove, single-file racing so far.  More downforce and harder tires.  Up front, 4 tires has no advantage over rights-only early on.

Buff

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 03:40:55 pm »

Oh man!  Nascar has admitted they screwed up by making the 48 start from the rear of the field, even after Knaus argued the team's case.

Buff

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 04:00:50 pm »

Stage 2 in the books for the 4 car

Racinray

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 04:03:56 pm »

Need to make this place a roval too.

Buff

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 04:45:55 pm »

I rip on Rodney Childers a lot, but he is doing a great job of calming Harvick down while he thinks he has a loose wheel. Tires chatter new, the 22 and 78 also have vibrations, etc.  Harvick is going into Turn 1 well over 200 mph based on his trust in Childers.

Buff

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 04:46:40 pm »

As of right now, Kyle Busch and Martin Truex are in legitimate danger of falling out of the Top-4 in points.

Buff

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 04:51:53 pm »

Truex pitted with a vibration, and got flagged for driving through too many pit boxes - had to make a pass-through.  Phoenix just got HUGE for the 78.

Keselowski also pitting with a loose wheel. 

Harvick the lead.  Something is wrong with the 22 car... Blaney up to 2nd now.

Buff

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 05:33:33 pm »

Truex and now Almirola. Logano is growing an enemy list going towards Homestead.

Buff

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 05:50:56 pm »

That's win #8 for Harvick this year.  Dominance.  No donuts, no driving through the grass, just a nasty burnout in front of the crowd.  I think he wants to take that car to Homestead.

By the way, I really hate the way NBC handles the post-race.  Get Rutledge Wood off freaking race track and let the race winner celebrate.

EasyRider81

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 06:10:29 pm »

First Texas race I've not attended in a while

Based on the empty seats there are more than a few of you.

I've think I've spent 10 or 11 race weekends there, some of the best times of my life out in campground 3. Hard to believe how few people go now.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 10:37:13 pm »

Truex and now Almirola. Logano is growing an enemy list going towards Homestead.

He didn't do a damn thing to titty baby Almirola. Petty and Jarrett even harped on it awhile. Jarrett seemed to get a little heated blasting Almirola for saying Logano did something wrong

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 10:05:24 am »

Tell you what could be surprising.  Chase Elliott was salty in the desert last year.  Anybody below Kyle B and Truex wins and that fourth slot will be a narrow points window.

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 01:18:36 pm »

Tell you what could be surprising.  Chase Elliott was salty in the desert last year.  Anybody below Kyle B and Truex wins and that fourth slot will be a narrow points window.

I am hoping one of the bottom 4 wins and Busch gets left out.  He will be crying and whining in post race interview if he even gives one.

Buff

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 03:06:26 pm »

It's Kevin Harvick International - everybody else will be running for points.  I hope Kyle gets knocked out by Logano.

Racinray

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 06:49:40 pm »

He didn't do a damn thing to titty baby Almirola. Petty and Jarrett even harped on it awhile. Jarrett seemed to get a little heated blasting Almirola for saying Logano did something wrong
Larry Mac got him to this afternoon on the Race Hub.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 10:20:16 pm »

Larry Mac got him to this afternoon on the Race Hub.

I saw that. Got the feeling Larry wanted to call some of today's drivers p#####s !

Buff

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 10:35:51 pm »

I saw that. Got the feeling Larry wanted to call some of today's drivers p#####s !

By and large, would he be wrong?

ImHogginIt

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 10:41:45 pm »

By and large, would he be wrong?

Nope. We need another Dale, Sr to come along

EasyRider81

• Band Nerd
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 06:48:49 am »

Nope. We need another Dale, Sr to come along

We need Jeremy Mayfield in the 3 next year put Austin Dillon's lame ass back in the minor leagues where he belongs.

Warbirdhog

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 12:56:04 pm »

Harvick busted post Texas... win doesn't count and docked 40 drivers points and 40 owner.. Childers and the car chief suspended last 2 races.  Freaky funny!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 01:44:52 pm by Warbirdhog »

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 01:36:56 pm »

Harvick busted post Texas... win doesn't count and docked 40 drivers points and 40 owner.. Chgilders and the car chief suspended last 2 races.  Freaky funny!

I see what you did there.

Warbirdhog

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 01:46:11 pm »

ImHogginIt

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 05:16:18 pm »

Harvick busted post Texas... win doesn't count and docked 40 drivers points and 40 owner.. Childers and the car chief suspended last 2 races.  Freaky funny!

How do they not catch that in the pre-race inspection ?

Racinray

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 06:22:08 pm »

That's the question a lot of people are asking.

Buff

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 06:39:15 pm »

Kinda part of the conspiracy theories that have flown on social media for years now.  The claim is that this is something that's too detailed to check on every car during the pre-race inspections.  That claim is bulls--- by the way.  It would be easy to have a template for a standardized spoiler.  Blaney's car failed similarly in post-race inspection, yet Harvick drove around and away from him, so it's hard to place the spoiler as the sole reason the 4 team won.

Spoilers are funny things.  You need them for downforce going through the corners, but they produce drag on the stretches.  Lowering the spoiler to reduce drag produces a car that's too loose in the corners to drive - Harvick was fighting a tight car most of the night, until the end.  Some say that SHR isn't appealing the penalty because they know they cheated, I think they feel good about the two races coming up and don't want the distraction hanging over them.

NASCAR was hard on penalties this weekend.  I'm thinking spoilers are one of those stock pieces provided by NASCAR, and I assume that somehow the brackets weakened during the race allowing the spoiler to lay back a fraction of an inch, which is all it takes.  Shaving the spoiler would be too obvious.

In a statement, SHR said it would not appeal the penalty.

“We work tirelessly across every inch of our race cars to create speed and, unfortunately, NASCAR determined we ventured into an area not accommodated by its rule book,” said Greg Zipadelli, SHR’s vice president of competition.

“We will not appeal the penalty. Instead, we will direct our immediate focus to this weekend’s event in Phoenix and control our destiny on the race track.”

The only reason I am not plotting the demise of Brian France, who I just enjoy blaming everything on, is that SHR is better positioned than anyone else to overcome this type of setback this late in the season.  I bet Zipadelli is in the garage working with the interim car chief, and Tony Gibson is no slouch as a crew chief.  Still..... kind of a bummer.

Warbirdhog

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 07:34:03 pm »

Kinda part of the conspiracy theories that have flown on social media for years now.  The claim is that this is something that's too detailed to check on every car during the pre-race inspections.  That claim is bulls--- by the way.  It would be easy to have a template for a standardized spoiler.  Blaney's car failed similarly in post-race inspection, yet Harvick drove around and away from him, so it's hard to place the spoiler as the sole reason the 4 team won.

Spoilers are funny things.  You need them for downforce going through the corners, but they produce drag on the stretches.  Lowering the spoiler to reduce drag produces a car that's too loose in the corners to drive - Harvick was fighting a tight car most of the night, until the end.  Some say that SHR isn't appealing the penalty because they know they cheated, I think they feel good about the two races coming up and don't want the distraction hanging over them.

NASCAR was hard on penalties this weekend.  I'm thinking spoilers are one of those stock pieces provided by NASCAR, and I assume that somehow the brackets weakened during the race allowing the spoiler to lay back a fraction of an inch, which is all it takes.  Shaving the spoiler would be too obvious.

In a statement, SHR said it would not appeal the penalty.

“We work tirelessly across every inch of our race cars to create speed and, unfortunately, NASCAR determined we ventured into an area not accommodated by its rule book,” said Greg Zipadelli, SHR’s vice president of competition.

“We will not appeal the penalty. Instead, we will direct our immediate focus to this weekend’s event in Phoenix and control our destiny on the race track.”

The only reason I am not plotting the demise of Brian France, who I just enjoy blaming everything on, is that SHR is better positioned than anyone else to overcome this type of setback this late in the season.  I bet Zipadelli is in the garage working with the interim car chief, and Tony Gibson is no slouch as a crew chief.  Still..... kind of a bummer.

From what I gathered listening to Nascar radio on the way home the mounting holes in the deck lid were elongated allowing the spoiler to be moved forward/rearward, which even fractionally as you said is all that is needed. Wonder sometimes just how hard they look at everything in the teardowns.

Buff

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 07:51:39 pm »

Vibration and downforce will do that if the mounting bolts are just a hair loose.  That car was not going to lose the race even with the spoiler in the right place.

I'm going back several years in my memory, but I think it was Mark Martin who got penalized when he ran for Hendrick because Nascar claimed his car sat something like 1/8-inch too low after the race.  Downforce will cause that too, especially considering the car passed that exact inspection pre-race.

I won't claim that the 4 team was screwed and NASCAR is out to get them and create drama for the final races, but this is just one of many decisions by NASCAR that leaves their fanbase with more questions and concerns than answers.  And they wonder why the base is shrinking.  Half the crowd at the Texas race must have been disguised as empty seats, a late Halloween party for thousands.

ImHogginIt

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2018, 02:05:38 am »

Vibration and downforce will do that if the mounting bolts are just a hair loose.  That car was not going to lose the race even with the spoiler in the right place.

I'm going back several years in my memory, but I think it was Mark Martin who got penalized when he ran for Hendrick because Nascar claimed his car sat something like 1/8-inch too low after the race.  Downforce will cause that too, especially considering the car passed that exact inspection pre-race.

I won't claim that the 4 team was screwed and NASCAR is out to get them and create drama for the final races, but this is just one of many decisions by NASCAR that leaves their fanbase with more questions and concerns than answers.  And they wonder why the base is shrinking.  Half the crowd at the Texas race must have been disguised as empty seats, a late Halloween party for thousands.

Texas was less than half full. It was sad. Hope the new rules package bumps up attendance this Spring. I'll be there and it better be racing like we saw at the All-Star race

Warbirdhog

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2018, 06:06:31 am »

I think that was also the season Nascar warned Mark and the 48 team about being “this close” (holding thumb and finger just gapped apart) to being illegal in a certain area. Mark fell off the pace and the 48 team kept on and won another title.

Edit: Listened to nascar radio on the way in and they played part of nascars statement on what the 4 team did with the spoiler. They modified it so that it was moved around 200thousandths to the right. Doesn't sound like much to most folks but it's huge in aero when it helps in keeping the rear end of the car from coming around in the turns.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:13:53 am by Warbirdhog »

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 02:14:22 pm »

I watched RaceHub.  They cheated.  However, as Knaus explained they were working in an area not 100% specifically addressed in the book.  But it didn't ever say what it was.

Buff

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 06:01:57 pm »

And how many other cars had spoilers mounted 2/1000ths of an inch off center?

Warbirdhog

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2018, 11:46:06 am »

And how many other cars had spoilers mounted 2/1000ths of an inch off center?

Maybe the 10,41 & 14, just heard Chocolate Meyers on nascar radio say that Childers tweeted that they had seen others doing it so they did..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas