• 10,058,684 Posts
• 402,657 Topics
• 23,009 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday

Poll

How far do you want to see AR go in honoring Bentintendi in next few years?

Retire #16 and leave it at that
- 15 (32.6%)
I can go as far as a bust
- 2 (4.3%)
Build that statue!
- 5 (10.9%)
None of the above
- 24 (52.2%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Voting closed: December 03, 2018, 07:38:02 am

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Honoring Benintendi: Retired jersey #, Bust or Statue?  (Read 1088 times)

edemire

• Varsity
  • Author endorsed by Ronnie Brewer, Ken Hatfield
    • African-American Athletes in Arkansas: Muhammad Ali's Tour, Black Razorbacks & Other Forgotten Stories
Honoring Benintendi: Retired jersey #, Bust or Statue?
« on: November 03, 2018, 08:38:02 am »

Here's my latest feature on Air Benny:
http://onlyinark.com/sports/benintendi-razorback-red-sox/

I found it especially interesting there's a Facebook page dedicated to building a Baum Stadium statue for him with nearly 1,300 fans.

I think most Hog fans would agree he deserves some kind of honor down the line.
If the athletics dept decided to do it while he's still an active player (good idea for recruiting), how far should they go?

The higher Benintendi rises in the pros, the greater his living legacy at Arkansas. This October he became the latest of at least 10 Razorbacks to play in a World Series, just one season after former Hog and pitcher Dallas Keuchel powered Houston to a World Series title. By one metric, Benintendi is already the most popular and influential former Razorback baseball player. He has a combined 372,000 followers on Instagram and Twitter, compared to the 304,000 combined followers of the 30-year-old Keuchel, who has racked up more honors in his career.

Benintendi makes regular mention of Hogs athletics on social media. For instance, during the Razorbacks’ run to the College World Series this summer, he tweeted a “Woo Pig” and bicep emoji.

This raises awareness of the program nationwide and helps Arkansas recruit future college stars. Heck, one day Benintendi may even blast out a picture of his own statue from Fayetteville. Nearly 1,300 fans have joined a “Benintendi Deserves a Statue at Baum” [Stadium] Facebook page. It appears no active baseball player has his own statue at his alma mater, but there’s a first time for everything. Arkansas may be the best place to think outside the box and break ground on such a project. No place, after all, is more passionate about its college baseball team or the pros who keep making it proud.

http://onlyinark.com/sports/benintendi-razorback-red-sox/

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
Re: Honoring Benintendi: Retired jersey #, Bust or Statue?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 09:31:04 am »

He is already honored.  They have his name on the wall of MLB players plus they have his image on the entry to the suites through Gate A:

Benintendi was amazing as a Hog and is continuing his legacy in the MLB but statues are reserved for program builders and legends.

Frank Broyles and John McDonnell are deserving of the statues that honor them.  Nolan is deserving and hopefully he will get one soon.  Norm DeBriyn and Dave Van Horn deserve honor and hopefully DVH can seal the deal with a championship.

Retiring a jersey might be more suitable but I'd wait a couple of years for that honor as well.... especially seeing that DMAC's jersey isn't retired.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 10:32:15 am »

isn't he our 1 & only golden spikes winner?

if so, number & name should go on the wall, with golden spike winner encircling it.
also maybe a bat & red sox jersey encased in the concourse

hoglady

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 10:37:27 am »

Dallas Kuekel is a 2 X all star,  Cy Young winner and has a WS ring.
Cliff Lee has a Cy Young and 4 all-star appearances.

Benni's got a way to go before talking about statues.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 10:57:27 am »

At some point, Benintendi will be inducted into the University Sports' Hall of Honor. No one likes following him more than I do and I started the Benintendi thread. hoglady is correct above. No statue or bust.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 11:03:29 am »

Dallas Kuekel is a 2 X all star,  Cy Young winner and has a WS ring.
Cliff Lee has a Cy Young and 4 all-star appearances.

Benni's got a way to go before talking about statues.

benny has the golden spikes award. any honor should be about what they did as a hog, not what they did as a pro.

the pro career is a cherry on top.

TeufelHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 12:22:04 pm »

“Golden Spikes Award” is the “Heisman” of Baseball . . . Benintindi rates the statue!  Go to any SEC football stadium that’s worth a darn and their Heisman winner gets the statue.  Time to commission an artist and get it done.

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 12:29:47 pm »

If we’re building statues based on college awards, Corliss, Nolan, and DMac would like a word with you.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 01:11:44 pm »

If we’re building statues based on college awards, Corliss, Nolan, and DMac would like a word with you.

Nolan for sure, winning the national title
dmac for sure, won the doak walker twice
don't remember if Corliss won any national awards.
 if not then, retire number 34 but no statue

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2018, 01:16:19 pm »

Do they give replica trophies to the attending university?

It would be cool to have the Dick Howser and Golden Spikes Trophy on display in the concourse trophy case.

I hope the stadium renovations improve our history and trophy display as well.

Knot2brite

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 04:48:23 pm »

We will put Benny’s right beside Jeff King’s statue....you know...that number one draft pick...Benny did great things here but he was just one of the many to do great things

ucahogfan

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 07:46:36 pm »

I agree that we should honor Benintendi, but the wall of our MLB players and his photo being on the entrance to the suites is a lot.  We have a great history and Benintendi is just one of the best.

We also have a junior and two sophomores who could be in the middle of the Golden Spikes race this year.

hogfan14

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 01:01:07 am »

It’s a tough spot because Benintendi had probably the best season in Arkansas baseball history, but it was only one year. If he had that level of success for three years then he’d probably hold a lot of records and there’s no doubt we put him up there with the other Arkansas legends IMO.

flippinhogmana

• Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 04:18:22 am »

If we were looking at this as a legal matter then my response would be that the issue is not yet 'ripe' for consideration.  Just let Beni (who I post on as much as anyone) have his career.  Let him be his own man (and let him have a life).  It will be soon enough that we can return on how - and how high - we should rank him in the razorback pantheon and what that honor should be.

IN the meantime, Andrew, hit them again harder this year.  You are in a good place and your money is coming for your work and success soon, if not this year, then the year after.    Have fun, build solid, find a good faithful woman, enjoy life.  You are a good man and I salute you for your time here and your success since. 

edemire

• Varsity
  • Author endorsed by Ronnie Brewer, Ken Hatfield
    • African-American Athletes in Arkansas: Muhammad Ali's Tour, Black Razorbacks & Other Forgotten Stories
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 09:10:22 am »

Fair points, all. Mainly, I was surprised that so many people (nearly 1,300) supported the building of a Beni statue based on the FB page, so I thought I'd take a quick poll.

It looks like such supporters are still a strong minority, though.

I don't think Beni would ever get into any kind of hot water during his player career, but you never know - that possibility, small though it is, would be another reason to hang back on the statue for a while.

In the short term, I like the idea of a little Baum stadium showcase with memorabilia from both his Razorback days and Boston days (e.g. World Series champion photos signed directly to Razorback fans).

PintailKiller

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 09:55:13 am »

No statue ever for a player.  I am all in on an honor on the outfield wall recognizing his Golden Spikes award.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 03:21:59 pm »

I think that we should honor his GS award on the outfield fence. We should honor his number without retiring it. (I think that we should do that for a LOT of basketball players i.e. #10 present and past). If he were to go on to a HOF type MLB career, without major personal transgressions, we could consider a bust.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 06:19:43 pm »

DVH said that they are including a Pro Hogs locker room in the Baum renovation/addition.  The area will be for current pro players to put there stuff when they train.

Maybe we can have a dedicated area showcasing the professional achievements of present and past Razorbacks.

hogfan14

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 12:32:22 pm »

DVH said that they are including a Pro Hogs locker room in the Baum renovation/addition.  The area will be for current pro players to put there stuff when they train.

Maybe we can have a dedicated area showcasing the professional achievements of present and past Razorbacks.

It would be cool to do something like this. I know we have the stuff on the concourse but having everything together would be nice.

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 12:54:28 pm »

It would be cool to do something like this. I know we have the stuff on the concourse but having everything together would be nice.

That's cool. They have for sure had a lot of success.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas