• 10,058,684 Posts
• 402,657 Topics
• 23,009 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Realistically....  (Read 1701 times)

JS22

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Realistically....
« on: October 31, 2018, 10:59:02 pm »

Realistically, how good do you think weíll be next season. Personally, I believe itíll be similar to LSUís season this past season. Weíll be good, but maybe no better than a regional or super regional appearance. I sure hope Iím wrong, but we did lose a lot of talent.

Knot2brite

Re: Realistically....
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 12:14:14 am »

Lost a lot of experience ...especially on the mound. There isnít a Blaine walking through the door this year. We are going to have to see some guy who pitched little last year step up and a couple younger guys make a immediate impact on the mound. Offensively we will have to do some things differently this year. HK is not going to see the pitches he saw last year and we will need Good Fletcher the entire year. Martin will be Martin but we need some consistency in the lineup. Canít be trying to figure out who our four hole is going to be in April.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

JS22

• Band Nerd
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 12:32:50 am »

Lost a lot of experience ...especially on the mound. There isnít a Blaine walking through the door this year. We are going to have to see some guy who pitched little last year step up and a couple younger guys make a immediate impact on the mound. Offensively we will have to do some things differently this year. HK is not going to see the pitches he saw last year and we will need Good Fletcher the entire year. Martin will be Martin but we need some consistency in the lineup. Canít be trying to figure out who our four hole is going to be in April.

Yes! As much as I like Isaiah Campbell, he is very inconsistent. He looked Amazing against Florida and then got whipped by Oregon State just a few days later.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 07:55:04 am »

I don't think we should understate getting Kevin Kopps back.  This will be a sophomore that has thrown a lot of innings, but we just didn't see him last year.

bulldog04

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 08:42:01 am »

I don't think we should understate getting Kevin Kopps back.  This will be a sophomore that has thrown a lot of innings, but we just didn't see him last year.
I could see his role being to come in if needed on Friday or Saturday and if not start Sunday

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 09:51:55 am »

Realistically?  The same thing applies this year as does every year - we will go as far as our pitching takes us, if we dont have major injuries.

Of those who departed last year, Eric Cole will be missed the most.  On the pitching side, of course we will miss Blaine Knight but also Reindle and Loeske.  We will miss the occasional heroics of Shaddy, Gates and some of the other seniors as well.  But we have more experience returning than what some seem to think is there.

I expect Optiz to meet or exceed the performance of Grant Koch.  I am not saying he is as advanced but I think he has more upside.  I wouldnt be surprised if both Martin and HK dont quite meet their freshman years, but we have had good, very good players waiting in the wings.  I think Fletcher will have his best year.  While the younger players waited they watched, learned and matured.  We also have some very quality additions.  I believe they will emerge and that we will be just fine.

Overall i dont think we have as good a hitting team as last year, but I think the pitching staff will surprise and I think the defense will be as good or better.  Hitting this year will come down to timely hitting, or clutch hitting.  I think our short game, our running game is a lot more potent this year to counter some of those losses as well.

Jacob Nesbit and Matt Goodheart may not be household names as of yet but those are likely candidates to emerge as may be Jordan McFarland if he can find the key to both power and average.  Perhaps even Zach Plunkett.  by the first of April a lot more will be clear to us.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:28:19 am by flippinhogmana »

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 10:48:50 am »

We will compete, and compete successfully.  To expect this upcoming team to make it to Omaha isn't a realistic expectation, though.  Disclaimer:  To ever doubt what DVH can do is a mistake.  He has made a few adjustments to his approach to running a team that (I think) makes him one of the top (if not the top) coaching minds in the game. 

His mix of "old school" with dealing with the travel ball heroes of today is certainly being scrutinized by all D-1 baseball coaches.  So far, he seems to have found the right formula. 

Knot2brite

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 11:53:57 am »

Besides pitching ...finding a third baseman that can field it and swing a solid stick is of utmost importance. If we can do that then Martin will have to move back ...

311Hog

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 12:01:25 pm »

i dont think we can expect Campbell to come in and go undefeated like Blaine, but i expect him to be All SEC soild Friday night guy, the rest of the staff will determine how good the hogs are as others have said, that and hopefully we steer clear of any soph slumps.

JS22

• Band Nerd
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 08:05:10 pm »

Realistically?  The same thing applies this year as does every year - we will go as far as our pitching takes us, if we dont have major injuries.

Of those who departed last year, Eric Cole will be missed the most.  On the pitching side, of course we will miss Blaine Knight but also Reindle and Loeske.  We will miss the occasional heroics of Shaddy, Gates and some of the other seniors as well.  But we have more experience returning than what some seem to think is there.

I expect Optiz to meet or exceed the performance of Grant Koch.  I am not saying he is as advanced but I think he has more upside.  I wouldnt be surprised if both Martin and HK dont quite meet their freshman years, but we have had good, very good players waiting in the wings.  I think Fletcher will have his best year.  While the younger players waited they watched, learned and matured.  We also have some very quality additions.  I believe they will emerge and that we will be just fine.

Overall i dont think we have as good a hitting team as last year, but I think the pitching staff will surprise and I think the defense will be as good or better.  Hitting this year will come down to timely hitting, or clutch hitting.  I think our short game, our running game is a lot more potent this year to counter some of those losses as well.

Jacob Nesbit and Matt Goodheart may not be household names as of yet but those are likely candidates to emerge as may be Jordan McFarland if he can find the key to both power and average.  Perhaps even Zach Plunkett.  by the first of April a lot more will be clear to us.

I agree with all this. How glorious would it be to be wrong about them not going to Omaha?

PorkRyan

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 10:41:55 am »

I expect us to battle for 3rd in the West.  The division is going to be very tough again and 3 through 6 could all be close.  Once we are in the tournament, all bets are off.  If we don't host, no one will want us in their region. 

We don't have the offensive depth we had last year.  You could go watch a Fall game last year and there were 15-18 guys who could hit.  This year it's been more like 7 or 8 and the pitchers dominated the rest.  We lose a lot of production from last year. We have 47 HR's to replace and 3 of our top 5 sluggers.  If we have a few injuries this season could go down the toilet.   

I think the same goes for pitching.  Not a lot of proven depth and we have to replace 322 innings.  Kopps is coming back from TJ so no one knows how good he will be.  Kostyshock had a 6.43 ERA and opponents hit .333 off of him.  He was great against WSU, OK against UALR, but was hammered in the Fall World series.  These are two guys that a lot of people feel will be our #2 and #3.  Scroggins looked great this Fall and I think he can take Reindl's spot.  Bolden was inconsistent.  Ramage was good but also had a rough Fall WS game.  Vermillion is the X-factor since he didn't pitch this Fall.  Wicklander looks like he could come in and push for the Sunday job by the end of the season.  He looked like he was clearly the best Freshman pitcher.  This is where Wes makes his money.  They get 2-3 months of development so you have to expect that everyone will improve.  He is the best in the business.           

pigture perfect

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 11:18:18 am »

The SEC will always be a top baseball league, but just as we lost some major players after last season, many of the other schools did as well. One thing that I believe we have going for us is that we didnít lose as many many in the draft as most of the schools projecting higher than us. The only coach on the hill that Iím sold on right now is DVH. He will out manage other coaches most of the time.

PorkRyan

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 12:55:36 pm »

The SEC will always be a top baseball league, but just as we lost some major players after last season, many of the other schools did as well. One thing that I believe we have going for us is that we didnít lose as many many in the draft as most of the schools projecting higher than us. The only coach on the hill that Iím sold on right now is DVH. He will out manage other coaches most of the time.

The problem this year is that LSU and MSU return everyone.  LSU had a year like we did the previous one.  Watson, Hess,and Duplantis all came back and they only lost one or two HS kids to the draft. 

JS22

• Band Nerd
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 11:14:53 pm »

The problem this year is that LSU and MSU return everyone.  LSU had a year like we did the previous one.  Watson, Hess,and Duplantis all came back and they only lost one or two HS kids to the draft.

I figure LSU will win the SEC next season. I think Iím gonna puke.

bulldog04

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 07:34:02 am »

I figure LSU will win the SEC next season. I think Iím gonna puke.
LSU will be the favorite to win the CWS

JS22

• Band Nerd
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 11:24:54 am »

LSU will be the favorite to win the CWS

I know. And it sucks. They are one of those teams I rarely pull for no matter who they play, like Texas.

ucahogfan

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 07:53:33 pm »

I could see DVH have Fletcher bat behind Kjerstad all year.  I think that would prevent pitchers from pitching around Kjerstad especially if Fletcher is swinging it as well as he could.  Sure, we might be susceptible to solid LHPs with those two back to back, but it would be best to protect Kjerstad.  Heck, if I was DVH, I might consider batting Martin, Kjerstad, and Fletcher 1-2-3 all year.  Kjerstad would see a lot of fastballs especially if Martin is getting on at a .430+ clip as pitchers would have to respect his speed or be forced to see him steal a base every single time.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2018, 09:05:00 pm »

I could see DVH have Fletcher bat behind Kjerstad all year.  I think that would prevent pitchers from pitching around Kjerstad especially if Fletcher is swinging it as well as he could.  Sure, we might be susceptible to solid LHPs with those two back to back, but it would be best to protect Kjerstad.  Heck, if I was DVH, I might consider batting Martin, Kjerstad, and Fletcher 1-2-3 all year.  Kjerstad would see a lot of fastballs especially if Martin is getting on at a .430+ clip as pitchers would have to respect his speed or be forced to see him steal a base every single time.

Completely agree.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 12:18:48 pm »

I like Dom in the 4 hole. Plus analytics shows you want your 3 best hitters 1/2/4.

Supermark101

• Senior
  • We all need a little Love
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 03:12:38 pm »

I like Dom in the 4 hole. Plus analytics shows you want your 3 best hitters 1/2/4.

In that case you gotta go
Kjerstad
Martin
Joe blow
Fletcher

Unless Kjerstad starts taking more pitches.

BaconTheSaddleAgain

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 03:28:37 pm »

I think it's very realistic to believe we can compete for the division, host a regional, and be on the cusp of hosting a Super if not host one. We lost pitchers, and Knight was arguably the best pitcher in the nation. I mean, he went undefeated and beat the two pitchers that were up for the Golden Spikes award in Maze and Singer In fact, he beat Singer twice. Then he beats the previous year's pitcher of the year in the finals of the CWS. You just don't replace a guy that went 14-0, the majority of those games being on Friday starts in the SEC.

However, it's entirely possible that we have loaded up on arms that are more talented than Knight. Campbell probably had the best stuff on the team. If he can get win the head game, then he has the stuff to dominate. There are 4 or 5 other arms that can easily be in the mix for the regular weekend rotation.

We return maybe the best returning trio in the nation with Martin, Kjerstad, and Fletcher. We have recruited very well, and there some bats coming. We aren't accustomed to it, but Van Horn has done with few coaches have done in any sport- got us to a point where we reload instead of rebuild after a great season. I for one will not be surprised to see the Hogs in Omaha again.

JS22

• Band Nerd
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 06:05:12 pm »

I think it's very realistic to believe we can compete for the division, host a regional, and be on the cusp of hosting a Super if not host one. We lost pitchers, and Knight was arguably the best pitcher in the nation. I mean, he went undefeated and beat the two pitchers that were up for the Golden Spikes award in Maze and Singer In fact, he beat Singer twice. Then he beats the previous year's pitcher of the year in the finals of the CWS. You just don't replace a guy that went 14-0, the majority of those games being on Friday starts in the SEC.

However, it's entirely possible that we have loaded up on arms that are more talented than Knight. Campbell probably had the best stuff on the team. If he can get win the head game, then he has the stuff to dominate. There are 4 or 5 other arms that can easily be in the mix for the regular weekend rotation.

We return maybe the best returning trio in the nation with Martin, Kjerstad, and Fletcher. We have recruited very well, and there some bats coming. We aren't accustomed to it, but Van Horn has done with few coaches have done in any sport- got us to a point where we reload instead of rebuild after a great season. I for one will not be surprised to see the Hogs in Omaha again.

I like the way you think and I truly hope you are right. Baseball is such a tough game to do great things in consecutive seasons in. Not impossible, just hard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas