• 9,965,343 Posts
• 400,177 Topics
• 22,936 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camp gas tanks...  (Read 245 times)

majestic

Camp gas tanks...
« on: October 31, 2018, 01:28:38 pm »

What are you doing with your 1 lb tanks when they are empty? I just bought an adapter that is supposed to allow you to refill them from a standard LP tank.  Anybody tried that without blowing up the house?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
Re: Camp gas tanks...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 12:30:10 pm »

It works. Saves a lot of money also. There are YouTube videos that show how simple it is.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

majestic

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 12:49:10 pm »

I can't seem to get them to fill up more than about 10%. Like, they will last about 20 minutes in the heater after they've been "refilled". I guess I might try freezing them like one link suggested.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 12:53:22 pm »

I can't seem to get them to fill up more than about 10%. Like, they will last about 20 minutes in the heater after they've been "refilled". I guess I might try freezing them like one link suggested.

Purge the air/gas out of the 1lb tank before you fill, makes a big difference.

majestic

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 01:04:19 pm »

Purge the air/gas out of the 1lb tank before you fill, makes a big difference.
Ah.... had not thought of that. Thanks.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 01:10:00 pm »

Ah.... had not thought of that. Thanks.

What heater are you using?

majestic

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 01:18:34 pm »

What heater are you using?
Tough Buddy twin canister.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 01:22:18 pm »

Tough Buddy twin canister.

I have Mister Heater- Big buddy....I've been refilling 1lb tanks for 10 years, only way to go.
Get your 20lb tank filled at an RV place for $1.50 a gallon will cost about $6.00-$7.00 to fill. Makes the 1lb canister a cost of less than 40 cents...   Refill away....

majestic

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 02:11:38 pm »

Couple of questions.....

How do you purge the air from the tanks? I see the valve but am not sure how to depress it. It didn't want to depress with an air gauge.  Can you run direct off a 20 lb tank to only one side of the heater, with an empty tank on the other side?

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 02:17:41 pm »

Couple of questions.....

How do you purge the air from the tanks? I see the valve but am not sure how to depress it. It didn't want to depress with an air gauge.  Can you run direct of a 20 lb tank to only one side of the heater, with an empty tank on the other side?

Only purge from the top main valve, not the safety on the side.   Take something very pointed like a nail and push down on the center where you screw the bottle onto a device , you should hear a little hiss, not much.  you won't blow up..  let me know

You can run a 20lb tank if you have the hose , Mine has a separate hook up and I'm sure yours does too, but you NEED that hose. 

majestic

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 02:22:55 pm »

Only purge from the top main valve, not the safety on the side.   Take something very pointed like a nail and push down on the center where you screw the bottle onto a device , you should hear a little hiss, not much.  you won't blow up..  let me know

You can run a 20lb tank if you have the hose , Mine has a separate hook up and I'm sure yours does too, but you NEED that hose. 

Ah, ok. I have the hose for the LP tank, but just one. I have it running right now but am curious what will happen when the small tank empties. Thanks for your help.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 02:24:22 pm »

Ah, ok. I have the hose for the LP tank, but just one. I have it running right now but am curious what will happen when the small tank empties. Thanks for your help.

20lb tank  shouldn't go empty tailgating even running at !8,000 BTU on your heater.

you only need 1 hose.. sounds like your good to go.

majestic

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 02:25:46 pm »

Oh, and I have the Big Buddy, too.

majestic

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 02:30:02 pm »

20lb tank  shouldn't go empty tailgating even running at !8,000 BTU on your heater.
I guess I didn't explain that very well.  I have the hose that connects to the LP tank, but it only connects to one side. So at the moment, it is running with a 1 lb tank on one side, the 20 lb on the other. Seems to be doing alright for now.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 02:34:30 pm »

I guess I didn't explain that very well.  I have the hose that connects to the LP tank, but it only connects to one side. So at the moment, it is running with a 1 lb tank on one side, the 20 lb on the other. Seems to be doing alright for now.

When the one 1lb goes dry it will pull from the 20lb tank, in fact you don't need any 1lb tanks hooked up when the 20lb is hooked up.
These are bad boy little heaters, I love mine. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas