• 9,973,007 Posts
• 400,355 Topics
• 22,943 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: T-Town Reality Check  (Read 3838 times)

Locutus_of_Boar

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
T-Town Reality Check
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:37:00 am »

Morris is Arkansas’ third coach since the meeting between the Razorbacks and Hurricane six years ago. The 2012 Arkansas team that beat Tulsa was in the middle of a free fall under the direction of interim coach John L. Smith, who had replaced the disgraced Bobby Petrino.

Given the 30,000 empty seats on homecoming at Razorback Stadium on Saturday, it’s hard to tell if Arkansas fans feel better off now under Morris than they were six years ago.  Tulsa fans surely don’t, especially after what they saw Saturday.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tusportsextra/peters-column-six-years-can-t-change-tulsa-arkansas-result/article_30ecbb48-3c41-5a31-a130-6617aff601f2.html

Hogbit

• Hogvillian
Re: T-Town Reality Check
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 12:07:19 pm »

Link is crapola

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

McKdaddy

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 12:08:40 pm »

Morris is Arkansas’ third coach since the meeting between the Razorbacks and Hurricane six years ago. The 2012 Arkansas team that beat Tulsa was in the middle of a free fall under the direction of interim coach John L. Smith, who had replaced the disgraced Bobby Petrino.

Given the 30,000 empty seats on homecoming at Razorback Stadium on Saturday, it’s hard to tell if Arkansas fans feel better off now under Morris than they were six years ago.  Tulsa fans surely don’t, especially after what they saw Saturday.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tusportsextra/peters-column-six-years-can-t-change-tulsa-arkansas-result/article_30ecbb48-3c41-5a31-a130-6617aff601f2.html

Thanks for the post. & link (it worked for me, fwiw)

Mo_Better_Hogs

• All-American Hogvillian
  • DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 12:52:01 pm »

Pretty good article, seeing it from the other side. Yesterday was a battle of bad teams, nothing more. And I agree with the thought that THIS was the year for TU to beat Arkansas, if it was going to happen.

TexHog188

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 01:06:40 pm »

Their QB play was terrible and their receivers dropped some balls too.  They looked like a 1-6 team with only their RB looking like a decent player.  We played well enough to win, but will have to step it way up to beat Vanderbilt next week.  Hopefully Ty is fully healthy and we can open the play book back to chapter two.

davglo35

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 04:20:36 pm »

If my memory serves me well, and it doesnt most of the time, i belkeve we lost to tulsa once when JFB was coach.

ricepig

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 04:21:35 pm »

If my memory serves me well, and it doesnt most of the time, i belkeve we lost to tulsa once when JFB was coach.

At least twice, '71 and '76, add two more, '58 and '67.

TushCrush

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 05:28:27 pm »

I was at the '71 game. Great comeback by Tulsa and a day I'll never forget.

Pigsknuckles

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • When you least expect it...
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 08:32:51 pm »

At least twice, '71 and '76, add two more, '58 and '67.
I still remember the radio call from the71 game where TU scored on that last play screen pass. Beat Arkansas 21-20 that day. Arkansas edges TU in 72 by the same score.

OkieBack

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 11:57:02 pm »

This was a game between a decimated Arkansas team (1-6) and a decimated Tulsa team (1-5).  Did anyone really expect this to be a sell out?  Come on.  Neither team is anywhere near their potential.  However, I'll take the W considering this is a first year coach for the Hogs and this is what Montgomery's 4th year for Tulsa? 

Tulsa fans gotta be at a near low for their program over the last 12 years.  I would not read much into this game as a Hog fan except...gotta keep working.  Gotta get healthy.  Gotta get better.

For Tulsa?  Gotta get healthy.  Gotta pray for a few wins the end of this season and if you want the coach back, better hope to recruit, recruit, recruit.  That's the only way out of this hole.  Ask Arkansas. 

Tejano Jawg

• GO HOGS! BEAT DAWGS!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2018, 12:11:32 am »

I was at the loss in 1976. All fieldgoals too, 9–3. I sat on the south endzone wooden bleachers with my church group. As I recall, Steve Little hit a 61 yarder in the game.

GolfnHog

• Time for left lane, hammer down, full tilt boogie
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2018, 11:21:24 am »

I was at the loss in 1976. All fieldgoals too, 9–3. I sat on the south endzone wooden bleachers with my church group. As I recall, Steve Little hit a 61 yarder in the game.

That was the year a kid from Charleston AR(Cox) was the kicker for Tulsa and transferred to AR the next year. This year a kid from Charleston AR is the starting QB but injured and can't play. Damn there's some parallels with Charleston and Tulsa.

phadedhawg

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 12:11:07 pm »

It was an ugly game and anyone who didn't have a dog in the fight would have turned the channel.  But a win is a win. 

kingofdequeen

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 12:29:17 pm »

T-Town is Texarkana fwiw.

McKdaddy

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 06:13:00 pm »

not in Tulsa.

PorkSoda

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 07:19:23 pm »

i figured we were playing tontitown

1dayinthelifeofporkiepig

• Band Nerd
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 08:33:16 pm »

That was the year a kid from Charleston AR(Cox) was the kicker for Tulsa and transferred to AR the next year. This year a kid from Charleston AR is the starting QB but injured and can't play. Damn there's some parallels with Charleston and Tulsa.

Yeah, I was at that 1976 game. Took me 32 years to get over it. It was 2008 before I went back to Fayetteville. My son-in-law asked me to go with him & some of his friends for BP's first coaching game at Arkansas.

kingofdequeen

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 08:18:04 am »

not in Tulsa.

eff tulsa who gives a rip what they think?

McKdaddy

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 01:11:21 pm »

eff tulsa who gives a rip what they think?

Geez, KoD, a few of us do.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 11:25:05 am »

Geez, KoD, a few of us do.

No kidding. We’ve had quite a few good players come from the Tulsa area.

Melancholy_Pigg

• Senior
  • Excuse me, sir. Did you just insult that pig?
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 11:48:18 am »

It is a W and that is better than a L.  At the end of the day, that is what matters.  At least as far as this fan is concerned, I do not expect much as far as W's & L's go for Morris in his first year.  What games like Tulsa illustrate is the utter failure of the prior coach after 5-years.  You can say "Morris is accountable" and I get it, but you are holding him accountable with a soup that was already cooked up when he became Head Chef.  He's doing all that he can this year. 

kingofdequeen

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 12:35:16 pm »

unclutch your pearls, ladies. 

jvanhorn

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 08:48:43 pm »

no it is not, unless you think it stands for Texas Trash

LZH

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 08:57:27 pm »