• 9,972,978 Posts
• 400,355 Topics
• 22,943 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Now That Is A Coaching Decision That I Can Get Behind...  (Read 8332 times)

Hogmatic

Re: Now That Is A Coaching Decision That I Can Get Behind...
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2018, 10:32:18 am »

If you aren't real good, you definitely have a shorter leash. This is called life.

Reality sucks but it's true.

impact

• Varsity
  • Worfhog Pimpin in Pantone 201
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2018, 10:37:25 am »

However, this is a new team. As CCM molds his team they will improve and be disciplined. I take exception to the street thug references though. Improperly reacting to someone getting under your skin on the field of play doesn't make you a thug. Miami back in the day portrayed themselves as thugs on and off the field.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2018, 10:49:23 am »

I fully support strict disciplinarian repercussions for the type of "thuggish" behavior we witnessed today.  MY beef is that such prohibitions SHOULD HAVE been issued to our players before the season even began.  Perhaps they were; and perhaps those "unsportsmanlike" infractions which have occurred thus far into this season have transpired IN SPITE OF admonitions and injunctions specifically issued by our coaching staff.

The "street gang" mentality and demeanor has NO PLACE in organized sport at ANY level.

Filter out that element during the recruiting process; quash it and stamp it out utterly during the season preparation process, allowing NO TOLERANCE for deviant behavior.

Lou Holtz believed you had to have a certain amount of those types of guys to have a tough football team.

ricepig

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2018, 11:18:52 am »

Reality sucks but it's true.
Reality is this 3* OL that hasn't seen the field will be processed at Bama, 5* with weed and a gun a few years ago, suspended the first series, lol.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/alabama-ol-hunter-brannon-arrested-on-suspicion-of-dui-on-sunday-morning/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

PORKULATOR

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2018, 11:38:16 am »

CCM was praised by more than just hog fans for that. That was truly refreshing to see.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
  • When life gives you lemons, get a boob job!
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2018, 11:52:40 am »

I fully support strict disciplinarian repercussions for the type of "thuggish" behavior we witnessed today.  MY beef is that such prohibitions SHOULD HAVE been issued to our players before the season even began.  Perhaps they were; and perhaps those "unsportsmanlike" infractions which have occurred thus far into this season have transpired IN SPITE OF admonitions and injunctions specifically issued by our coaching staff.

The "street gang' mentality and demeanor has NO PLACE in organized sport at ANY level.

Filter out that element during the recruiting process; quash it and stamp it out utterly during the season preparation process, allowing NO TOLERANCE for deviant behavior.

I think your opinion is tainted.  I agree with the decision to send him to the locker room, but to suggest this team has a "street gang" mentality is ridiculous.  Lots of adrenaline and testosterone flows during the pace of a game.  Ish happens.  When it does, you deal with it just as CCM did.

If the team was full of guys with "thuggish" tendencies, we would see them in the police reports like we did before Bielema was coach.  Bielema can be faulted for a lot of reasons, but he didn't bring in a bunch of thugs.

Locutus_of_Boar

• Hogvillian
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2018, 11:55:44 am »

Sending #13 to the locker room after the fair catch personal foul.  The way to instill discipline is to enforce it when push comes to shove.  "We don't do that."

CCM did what was necessary in response to the foul but the best way to say "we don't do that" would be to coach a team that doesn't do that.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2018, 12:09:09 pm »

CCM did what was necessary in response to the foul but the best way to say "we don't do that" would be to coach a team that doesn't do that.

You never get in trouble for doing something stupid, or you never got caught?  Which is it?

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2018, 12:13:13 pm »

Coaches coach players to not jump offsides or hold, but guess what...it still happens. To say the penalty was due to lack of coaching is ridiculous. I guess Saban failed to mention to  Raekwon Davis that you canít punch an opposing player, either.

Logan County Hog

• Band Nerd
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2018, 03:20:55 pm »

From an Old School'er:
1. Keep your mouth shut and let your helmet do your talking for you. (this didn't mean to literally use your head, but to block and tackle to a point that you shut them up with your hard-nosed play)
There has never been any benefit for a player to talk trash. Period. It just leads to more problems.
2. Furthermore, quit talking to the officials and demonstrating after a play, either good or bad. This is a team sport and it's not about you.
3. Act like you have been there and done that.

trippigs

« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2018, 04:17:30 pm »

I fully support what coach did. Donít ever recall having seen this before. Doubt if coach continues to penalize the player. Bet all the other players took note. And I hope coach would discipline anyone who does anything like that....not necessarily kicking them out of the game but something that registers with the player.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2018, 06:05:42 pm »

nah. ccm disciplined the level of dumbassery. "your only real PT is on ST, and you pull THAT CRAP. buster; i don't have time for THAT level of stupidity".

a star should and would get more leeway. it's the natural privilege.

that's the way it is and how it should be.
You are wrong. A star should not get more leeway or privilege. By disciplining the stars the same as everyone else you send a single to the team that it doesnít matter who you are everyone is treated the same and everyone on the team matters so donít do it. That way they learn you will always be totally fair. Itís the only honest way to manage.

Hawgphat

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2018, 06:45:05 pm »

People with TALENT who are PRODUCERS, in any line if work or in any endeavor,  get 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th chances.  They get special treatment.  They get more leeway.

People who have not developed their TALENT and do not PRODUCE do not get even a second chance...they donít get special treatment.  They donít get the benefit of the doubt.  They are used to make an example out of...which is what happened here and I applaud it. 

It doesnít matter if we agree with this or not. This is the way the world is.

Second point - Itís easy to send #13 to the locker room.  That doesnít take a lot of courage.  Who is he?  Third string defensive back playing special teams??  What if it were Dre Greenlaw or Agim?  Do you really think they would be sent to the locker room?  Iím not saying CCM didnít do the right thing, but lets not pretend this was Jeff long firing Bobby. That took some balls.

Third point, #13 did something REALLY STUPID and he was punished for it. He made a bad decision in the moment.  Itís not like he paralyzed someone.  It was an unnecessary slap on the side of the helmet. Not that big of a deal.    Hopefully he will learn.  Quit acting like he committed a heinous felony. Comparing what he did to The U is absurd.

"TALENTED PRODUCERS" are subject to the same rules and regulations that ALL OTHER PLAYERS are subject to.  Team penalties and repercussions should be equally applied across the board; they MOST CERTAINLY ARE by the game officials.  Examples should be made of WHOMEVER flagrantly breaks the rules.

"Second Point": If it happens to be Greenlaw or Agim who is guilty of such a  flagrantly unnecessary rules infraction, then - - BY ALL MEANS - - send their tushes to the locker room, - - AND DARE THEM OR ANYONE ELSE TO REPEAT SUCH BEHAVIOR.

"Third Point":  #13 not only committed the helmet slap, he failed to observe the "halo" rule, chest-bumping the punt receiver.  What kind of oblivious idiot of a major college football player thinks he can get away with such grandiose, glaringly-apparent showboating and overly-aggressive posturing with impunity?  If he didn't KNOW any better, then multiple football coaches along his way were TERRIBLY remiss in their instruction of him.  If - (as is highly likely) - he DID know better, - and simply felt that he was specially-entitled to disregard the rules of conduct at his own discretion, - - then he should not be playing college football  on ANY team's roster ANYWHERE.

Rules are the same for ALL players, and ALL players are bound by those same rules.  Team disciplinary actions, repercussions and punitive measures should also be evenly and uniformly dispensed, with absolutely no favoritism shown.

I don't care HOW famous or how influential might be the driver who is clocked at 30 MPH over the speed limit, - - and I don't care how important or influential might be the high profile celebrity or politician who is guilty of the death of another human being as a result of a heated argument.  The penalties exacted for such actions should be uniformly comparable.

"Right" is right; - - and "wrong" is wrong".  Justice - whether on the street or on the field of play - should be equally applied to one and all.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2018, 06:49:20 pm »

Gregg Popovich, arguably this generations greatest basketball coach, was praised by his teams due to the fact that ďstarĒ players were treated like everyone else.

Thatís how a team builds unity and respect for their coach. Granted, it takes a special type of star player to buy into that.

HoggyCat

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2018, 09:15:07 pm »

Why didn't he send Mr. Senior Leader Cornelius to the locker room after his?

hobhog

« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2018, 09:39:36 pm »

Blocking after the whistle.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2018, 09:40:19 pm »

Discriminating discipline is the norm in all programs.

No it isnít and Iíve known some coaches. That being said you nor I can speak for all coaches and programs.

Hog N Bama

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2018, 07:28:35 am »

Reality is this 3* OL that hasn't seen the field will be processed at Bama, 5* with weed and a gun a few years ago, suspended the first series, lol.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/alabama-ol-hunter-brannon-arrested-on-suspicion-of-dui-on-sunday-morning/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
The local news reported this guy was doing donuts in the road AND hit another vehicle AND left the scene. The victim got the tag and called police who tracked him down.  Too bad it wasnít the guy choke holding Agim

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2018, 08:28:30 am »

"TALENTED PRODUCERS" are subject to the same rules and regulations that ALL OTHER PLAYERS are subject to.  Team penalties and repercussions should be equally applied across the board; they MOST CERTAINLY ARE by the game officials.  Examples should be made of WHOMEVER flagrantly breaks the rules.

"Second Point": If it happens to be Greenlaw or Agim who is guilty of such a  flagrantly unnecessary rules infraction, then - - BY ALL MEANS - - send their tushes to the locker room, - - AND DARE THEM OR ANYONE ELSE TO REPEAT SUCH BEHAVIOR.

"Third Point":  #13 not only committed the helmet slap, he failed to observe the "halo" rule, chest-bumping the punt receiver.  What kind of oblivious idiot of a major college football player thinks he can get away with such grandiose, glaringly-apparent showboating and overly-aggressive posturing with impunity?  If he didn't KNOW any better, then multiple football coaches along his way were TERRIBLY remiss in their instruction of him.  If - (as is highly likely) - he DID know better, - and simply felt that he was specially-entitled to disregard the rules of conduct at his own discretion, - - then he should not be playing college football  on ANY team's roster ANYWHERE.

Rules are the same for ALL players, and ALL players are bound by those same rules.  Team disciplinary actions, repercussions and punitive measures should also be evenly and uniformly dispensed, with absolutely no favoritism shown.

I don't care HOW famous or how influential might be the driver who is clocked at 30 MPH over the speed limit, - - and I don't care how important or influential might be the high profile celebrity or politician who is guilty of the death of another human being as a result of a heated argument.  The penalties exacted for such actions should be uniformly comparable.

"Right" is right; - - and "wrong" is wrong".  Justice - whether on the street or on the field of play - should be equally applied to one and all.

there is no halo rule in college football anymore hasn't been in over a decade.  you can get as close as you want as long as you don't touch them before the ball gets there.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2018, 08:44:52 am »

I suspect that after last weekís games that they had lots of discussions all week and that it was a point of emphasis.  It wasnít an effort play like blocking after a whistle or making a borderline hit, it was simply stupidity and lack of self control.  Message sent.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2018, 09:17:32 am »

Different type penalty, as pointed out earlier. But, Pulley didn't start against Tulsa after his late game antics vs Ole Miss.

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2018, 10:01:01 am »

Wrong.

We need some dogs on this team. We need some thugs, we need some killers. 

The quicker Chad gets down to Cummins penitentiary and starts handing out scholarships to men that are getting released....the better the turnaround will be....

PRU

Jimmy, don't know that Cummins is the right deal, but it's most definitely been proven by the last staff that choir boys are not the answer in the SEC.

Ex-Trumpet

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2018, 10:40:40 am »

Wrong.

We need some dogs on this team. We need some thugs, we need some killers. 

The quicker Chad gets down to Cummins penitentiary and starts handing out scholarships to men that are getting released....the better the turnaround will be....

PRU

I knew there was a valid reason why you were not appointed the recruiting coordinator position...maybe there's still a Public Relations position available with your name on it!

carolinahogger

• Senior
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2018, 10:54:25 am »

It wasnít an effort play like blocking after a whistle or making a borderline hit, it was simply stupidity and lack of self control.  Message sent.

Exactly.  13 gets in the face of the punt catcher, jawing both ways, 13 loses composure, 15 yards.  It wasn't in the heat of battle.  No physical back and forth led up to it.  It was simply a lack of self discipline.

carolinahogger

• Senior
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2018, 11:09:40 am »

There has been a lot of discussion of fairness.  Life isn't fair.  You can wish that it was, but it isn't.  Grow up.

I wonder about the life experiences of the ones beating the "everyone should always be treated exactly the same."  Now if we are talking about the law, I agree.  Everyone should be treated the same. 

Business, and life in general?  That's not the way it works.  Do you think a beautiful woman gets treated the same as an ugly one?

True story:  I owned a multi office real estate brokerage in the 1990s.  One day an agitated agent walked into my office.  He said "I've been talking to some of the other guys, and some things are going to change around here."  Now this guy was a bottom 10% producer.  I said "You're right.  Take your license off the wall, go to your desk, and put all of your stuff in it.  You can keep the frame."  "But, but, but."  "Nope.  Get out."  (Afterward I spoke to several productive agents asking whether anyone had any issues.  They rolled their eyes.  Agitated agent was the only one with grievances.)

If a top agent, or even a reasonably productive one had come to me with that, then I would have gotten him chilled out, "What is it that we need to fix?"  I'm sure we could have worked out whatever it was. 

Is that fair?  Who cares?  I have led and managed people for 35 year, in the Marine Corps and in my own businesses.  I will tell you how it works at the big boy level:  You stay within the boundaries of legality and ethics and then do what is best for the organization.  Fairness is for children.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 04:19:52 pm by carolinahogger »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2018, 02:44:22 pm »

There has been a lot of discussion of fairness.  Life isn't fair.  You can wish that it was, but it isn't.  Grow up.

I wonder about the life experiences of the ones beating the "everyone should always be treated exactly the same."  Now if we are talking about the law, I agree.  Everyone should be treated the same. 

Business, and life in general?  That's not the way it works.  Do you think a beautiful woman gets treated the same as an ugly one?

True story:  I owned a multi office real estate brokerage in the 1990s.  One day an agitated agent walked into my office.  He said "I've been talking to some of the other guys, and some things are going to change around here."  Now this guy was a bottom 10% producer.  I said "You're right.  Take your license off the wall, go to your desk, and put all of your stuff in it.  You can keep the frame."  "But, but, but."  "Nope.  Get out."  (Afterward I spoke to several productive agents asking whether anyone had and issues.  They rolled their eyes.  Agitated agent was the only one with grievances.)

If a top agent, or even a reasonably productive one had come to me with that, then I would have gotten him chilled out, "What is it that we need to fix?"  I'm sure we could have worked out whatever it was. 

Is that fair?  Who cares?  I have led and managed people for 35 year, in the Marine Corps and in my own businesses.  I will tell you how it works at the big boy level:  You stay within the boundaries of legality and ethics and then do what is best for the organization.  Fairness is for children.

Ive led and managed people for 36 years. Iíve worked for some big hotel companies, small ones, own my own business and grew up in a family owned business. Iíve hired and fired a lot of folks. Iíve never worked anywhere that didnít treat everyone the same and I do so in my own business. So your experience and mine and the way I run things versus you are different. Businesses can be run by being fair and still be successful. Maybe your marine mentality has carried over to your business life a little too much. No life isnít always fair but it can be and should be. Now who decides what is fair is certainly up for debate.

Hawgphat

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2018, 02:46:24 pm »

there is no halo rule in college football anymore hasn't been in over a decade.  you can get as close as you want as long as you don't touch them before the ball gets there.

My bad; thanks for the correction.  Dalton"touched" the punt receiver rather briskly, chest-to-chest; - - and then rapped him across the side of the helmet as a secondary "greeting".

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2018, 03:06:47 pm »

CCM has suspended Dalton for the week.

liljo

« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2018, 03:11:53 pm »

True story:  I owned a multi office real estate brokerage in the 1990s.  One day an agitated agent walked into my office.  He said "I've been talking to some of the other guys, and some things are going to change around here."  Now this guy was a bottom 10% producer.  I said "You're right.  Take your license off the wall, go to your desk, and put all of your stuff in it.  You can keep the frame."  "But, but, but."  "Nope.  Get out."  (Afterward I spoke to several productive agents asking whether anyone had and issues.  They rolled their eyes.  Agitated agent was the only one with grievances.)

Good post, but the main thing I wanted to say was "THANK YOU, MARINE, FOR YOUR SERVICE."

Hawgphat

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2018, 03:17:23 pm »

Is that fair?  Who cares?  I have led and managed people.   Fairness is for children.[/b]

Life quite often seems to be unfair.  But there is major difference between "random happenstance" and "deliberate discrimination".  For anyone to coolly and calculatedly predetermine to  discipline and punish ONLY certain miscreants - letting others slide - is grossly unfair and non even-handed in the treatment of the personnel under one's authority. and self serving of one's own interests.  I truly feel sorry for those among us who subscribe to this "selective discipline" attitude; they are sadly lacking in basic integrity.

A beautiful woman has an inherent first glance advantage over a more plain-looking woman, of course, in terms of attracting attention from men.  However, after that "first glance" assessment, many men have the character integrity to look beyond that inborn physical
advantage and assess the character and personality traits of that "beautiful woman".  If an interested man should happen to discover that the "beautiful woman" in question is a third generation welfare recipient, has five children - each by a different father - and has been evicted from a number of apartment complexes for boisterous late night partying and failure to pay rent, then the "beauty" of that "beautiful woman" tends to diminish rather acutely in the minds of some men who may have been initially attracted to that "beautiful woman".

If you truly feel that "equal treatment for everyone" is a foolish, childish notion, than I feel profoundly sorry for those around you.  You are bound to have issues which far transcend the ethical considerations of sporting coaches.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:37:29 pm by Hawgphat »

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2018, 03:37:20 pm »

People with TALENT who are PRODUCERS, in any line if work or in any endeavor,  get 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th chances.  They get special treatment.  They get more leeway.

People who have not developed their TALENT and do not PRODUCE do not get even a second chance...they donít get special treatment.  They donít get the benefit of the doubt.  They are used to make an example out of...which is what happened here and I applaud it. 

It doesnít matter if we agree with this or not. This is the way the world is.

Second point - Itís easy to send #13 to the locker room.  That doesnít take a lot of courage.  Who is he?  Third string defensive back playing special teams??  What if it were Dre Greenlaw or Agim?  Do you really think they would be sent to the locker room?  Iím not saying CCM didnít do the right thing, but lets not pretend this was Jeff long firing Bobby. That took some balls.

Third point, #13 did something REALLY STUPID and he was punished for it. He made a bad decision in the moment.  Itís not like he paralyzed someone.  It was an unnecessary slap on the side of the helmet. Not that big of a deal.    Hopefully he will learn.  Quit acting like he committed a heinous felony. Comparing what he did to The U is absurd.

We have some of the most self righteous...The kid slapped another kid that had a helmet on. Dirty play? No! Illegal? YES. Sure the dramatic sending him to the locker room to the stockade sounds awesome and I know our players now will have the discipline of a navy seal! It sends no message because 99.99999% of players know not to pull that crap anyway! How about instilling the type of discipline that makes us great tacklers, not jump offsides, not hold or miss assignments?

Not saying the kid did nothing wrong and probably is good kid (we don't know that he isn't). Who knows why he did it we are talking about a generation of kids that have to be TOLD not to eat laundry detergent pods ??? But lets not make this into a capital offense and Morris and Arkansas represent the last bastion of human decency in college football. No need for the extra show of him being escorted off, wait till practice today and by now he should be dehydrated to the point of collapse.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:53:12 pm by zebradynasty »

HogPharmer

« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2018, 03:50:40 pm »

The real surprise is that there's actually a 3* on the Alabama roster.

Hawgphat

« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2018, 03:54:48 pm »

We have some of the most self righteous...The kid slapped another kid that had a helmet on. Dirty play? No! Illegal? YES. Sure the dramatic sending him to the locker room to the stockade sounds awesome and I know our players now will have the discipline of a navy seal! It sends no message because 99.99999% of players know not to pull that crap anyway! How about instilling the type of discipline that makes us great tacklers, not jump offsides, not hold or miss assignments?

Not saying the kid did nothing wrong and probably is good kid (we don't know that he isn't). Who knows why he did it we are talking a generation of kids that have to be TOLD not to eat laundry detergent pods ??? But lets not make this into a capital offense and Morris and Arkansas represent the last bastion of human decency in college football. No need for the extra show of him being escorted off, wait till practice today and by now he should be dehydrated to the point of collapse.

You are - of course - entitled to your own perspective; but labeling as "self-righteous" those of us who subscribe to the strict enforcement  adherence to the rules of conduct may perhaps be a bit of an overreach in disparagement, don't you think?

If EVERYONE is held to the same standard, how could any singular case punitive measure enactment be deemed "unreasonable" or "overblown"?

I have made no proclamation regarding Dalton"s ( #13 )  composite character attributes or his behavioral history.  I have no knowledge of such, and that question is not the focus of his punishment due to his flagrant rules infraction.

I FULLY support (and heartily applaud) Coach Morris' treatment and disposition pertinent to this episode.  According to Coach Morris' press conference statement, Dalton will not be present this week. I would feel the same way about this episode resolution if it was MY GRANDSON who happened to be the focus of this issue.  "Right" is right and "wrong" is wrong.

If you deem my attitude to be "self-righteous", then so be it.

jackflash

« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2018, 04:05:36 pm »

I Wonder it  this could a kid  transferring kind of  thing

ricepig

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2018, 04:10:39 pm »

Not saying the kid did nothing wrong and probably is good kid (we don't know that he isn't). Who knows why he did it we are talking about a generation of kids that have to be TOLD not to eat laundry detergent pods ??? But lets not make this into a capital offense and Morris and Arkansas represent the last bastion of human decency in college football. No need for the extra show of him being escorted off, wait till practice today and by now he should be dehydrated to the point of collapse.

He's been removed from all football activities this week. Something tells me there is more to this, than one personal foul.

HogPharmer

« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2018, 04:15:54 pm »

So instead of the kid being embarrassed (not unlike how he embarrassed the football program--as he is a representation of the program when he's in that uniform), you'd rather CCM go all D.J. Durkin on him and run him until he collapses?

carolinahogger

• Senior
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2018, 04:31:01 pm »

A beautiful woman has an inherent first glance advantage over a more plain-looking woman, of course, in terms of attracting attention from men.  However, after that "first glance" assessment, many men have the character integrity to look beyond that inborn physical
advantage and assess the character and personality traits of that "beautiful woman".  If an interested man should happen to discover that the "beautiful woman" in question is a third generation welfare recipient, has five children - each by a different father - and has been evicted from a number of apartment complexes for boisterous late night partying and failure to pay rent, then the "beauty" of that "beautiful woman" tends to diminish rather acutely in the minds of some men who may have been initially attracted to that "beautiful woman".

I posted "Do you think a beautiful woman gets treated the same as an ugly one?"   You constructed quite an elaborate and ridiculous straw man argument in true Hogville fashion.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2018, 04:33:39 pm »

You are - of course - entitled to your own perspective; but labeling as "self-righteous" those of us who subscribe to the strict enforcement  adherence to the rules of conduct may perhaps be a bit of an overreach in disparagement, don't you think?

If EVERYONE is held to the same standard, how could any singular case punitive measure enactment be deemed "unreasonable" or "overblown"?

I have made no proclamation regarding Dalton"s ( #13 )  composite character attributes or his behavioral history.  I have no knowledge of such, and that question is not the focus of his punishment due to his flagrant rules infraction.

I FULLY support (and heartily applaud) Coach Morris' treatment and disposition pertinent to this episode.  According to Coach Morris' press conference statement, Dalton will not be present this week. I would feel the same way about this episode resolution if it was MY GRANDSON who happened to be the focus of this issue.  "Right" is right and "wrong" is wrong.

If you deem my attitude to be "self-righteous", then so be it.

It is the pure definition of self righteous when because of that one incident I read post on here (If you didn't say it then I wasn't talking about you) making it seem like the kid is a menace to society and a thug....It didn't take all that to discipline the kid. No where did I suggest giving him a pass on such behavior but the dramatically escorting him from the sideline...that's for show. Like whupping a toddler at the checkout in Walmart. Handle that in house when you get home. It's not going to put the fear of God in the team. 

cjack

• Senior
  • A dedicated fan base that few programs have
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2018, 04:37:24 pm »

He's been removed from all football activities this week. Something tells me there is more to this, than one personal foul.

I believe there has to be.  The personal foul was dumb, but I didn't think it was a big deal at all.  It wasn't an Oh My God I can't believe he did that play.  He shoved his face mask---happens every Saturday and Sunday.  It allowed Tulsa to start around the 25 instead of the 10.  That's the only thing that bothered me.  Maybe I missed something

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2018, 04:46:39 pm »

So instead of the kid being embarrassed (not unlike how he embarrassed the football program--as he is a representation of the program when he's in that uniform), you'd rather CCM go all D.J. Durkin on him and run him until he collapses?

Naw coach could handled it any way he see fit....IN HOUSE. I was just giving the example of how that would have been handled when I played. As for embarrassing the program....North Texas 44 - Arkansas 17! Short of all the players running down the field butt naked with hog hats on...if we we can get over that embarrassment a light slap on the helmet after the whistle is easy!

I agree with others there must be something more to story because a week suspension on top of everything else is over the top for the type of transgression.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2018, 04:51:02 pm »

It wasnít because he was a thug.  It was because he was stupid.  Frankly, Iím tired of feckless stupidity losing us football games and I fully support the actions of the coach. 

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2018, 04:53:42 pm »

What we learned here today.  Everybody is on board with strict punishment as long it's directed at someone who ultimately won't affect the outcome of the game.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2018, 05:22:42 pm »

What we learned here today.  Everybody is on board with strict punishment as long it's directed at someone who ultimately won't affect the outcome of the game.

No sir! My problem was the show after the stupid play. Now coach has set a precedent if a SR All conference player does something stupid then you MUST escort him of the field. Handle stuff like this in house behind closed doors.

Logan County Hog

• Band Nerd
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2018, 05:28:07 pm »

No. Adults are supposed to be adults and treated as such. But kids are kids. Kids want to be treated like adults UNTIL they screw up, then they want to remind you that they are just kids.
 Sure, the coach can overlook or give less punishment when a great player loses control of himself in a game..... But it will only create problems in the long run because everyone on the team realizes now there is a double standard. IF the coach disciplines the stud as well as he would the average player, then you can have the beginnings of a true team where everyone takes pride in the role they play on the team.
I am sure most of us have been involved in situations like this from our youth and it provides either a example of true leadership or leaves a very sour taste in your mouth that never goes away. 

ricepig

« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2018, 05:40:25 pm »

No sir! My problem was the show after the stupid play. Now coach has set a precedent if a SR All conference player does something stupid then you MUST escort him of the field. Handle stuff like this in house behind closed doors.

Show? He was told to hit the showers and someone with a key went with him.

Hawgphat

« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2018, 05:43:07 pm »

It is the pure definition of self righteous when because of that one incident I read post on here (If you didn't say it then I wasn't talking about you) making it seem like the kid is a menace to society and a thug....It didn't take all that to discipline the kid. No where did I suggest giving him a pass on such behavior but the dramatically escorting him from the sideline...that's for show. Like whupping a toddler at the checkout in Walmart. Handle that in house when you get home. It's not going to put the fear of God in the team.

Perhaps my grammar structural discernment is suspect, but I see no "pure definition of self righteous" repudiation embedded in this comment.

I certainly did not allege that the principal figure in this episode is "a menace to society".  I merely affirmed the absolute truth of the situation in regard to the fact that he apparently inexplicably, deliberately and flagrantly chose to break the rules of the game.  Supporting the action taken by Coach Morris is by no means indicative of "self-righteousness".

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2018, 05:48:12 pm »

Show? He was told to hit the showers and someone with a key went with him.

With cameras, fans, opponents and his teammates watching on. Accomplish the same thing by telling him to go sit on the bench and deal with him later after the game.

HogPharmer

« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2018, 05:53:44 pm »

With cameras, fans, opponents and his teammates watching on. Accomplish the same thing by telling him to go sit on the bench and deal with him later after the game.

Are you Nate Dalton or something? You are defending this to the death with otherwise no information other than what was seen on TV?

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2018, 05:54:19 pm »

Perhaps my grammar structural discernment is suspect, but I see no "pure definition of self righteous" repudiation embedded in this comment.

I certainly did not allege that the principal figure in this episode is "a menace to society".  I merely affirmed the absolute truth of the situation in regard to the fact that he apparently inexplicably, deliberately and flagrantly chose to break the rules of the game.  Supporting the action taken by Coach Morris is by no means indicative of "self-righteousness".

What about this are you missing?

ricepig

« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2018, 05:55:01 pm »

Deal with it like this once, and chances are you don't have to do it again. We have no idea what transgressed between the foul, and the trip to the showers, do we?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas