• 9,972,940 Posts
• 400,354 Topics
• 22,942 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday

Poll

Of all the defense recruits and the incoming weapons at WR, what percentage of the 2019 class redshirts first year?

25%
- 87 (43.9%)
50%
- 94 (47.5%)
75%
- 14 (7.1%)
>90%
- 3 (1.5%)

Total Members Voted: 198

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What % of our incoming class redshirts  (Read 3374 times)

dethnode

What % of our incoming class redshirts
« on: October 18, 2018, 09:20:07 am »

Who do you think comes in and starts playing and making an impact year 1?

#1 STUNNA

Re: What % of our incoming class redshirts
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 09:47:06 am »

all the receivers and Henry.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 09:47:53 am »

Burks will depend on how his knee is. But if healthy he will start day 1 in my opinion.

Lakerhog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The Los Angeles Lakers: Where Championships Happen
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 10:11:48 am »

I think you see very few redshirts. Assuming we get Bryant, KJ will almost definitely redshirt.

go hogues

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 12:22:02 pm »

Very few. We always play lots of young guys and this will be Morris' first true class, so he'll want to get his guys out on the field quick.

jgphillips3

• Life is too short for bad beer.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 12:30:04 pm »

We are so desperately in need of depth and speed, I think 50% max.

Fayette Villains

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 03:46:53 pm »

It'll be higher than its been in previous years because of the redshirt rules.

For example, if the Hogs land Kelly Bryant (or, actually, maybe if they don't) then I could definitely see K.J. Jefferson getting some snaps against early-season cupcakes for the experience and then taking a redshirt.

hawgtime

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 04:23:52 pm »

Who do you think comes in and starts playing and making an impact year 1?

IF we are recruiting true SEC players that fit this new system, better not redshirt ANY.

East Clintwood

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 08:38:05 pm »

I hope none of them redshirt.

I hope that they're all too good not to play them immediately.

Hogbit

• Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 11:55:20 pm »

Almost none of them.

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 10:27:39 am »

0%, everybody freshman needs to play. The best man will play. Start the mass exit right now! Lol... ;D

Hogbit

• Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 10:31:14 am »

0%, everybody freshman needs to play. The best man will play. Start the mass exit right now! Lol... ;D
Why lol? It needs to happen.

Youngsta71701

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 10:33:51 am »

Why lol? It needs to happen.
Come on man. There are a few upper classmen that can play, when put in the right position. Key word, few.

Hogbit

• Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 10:39:48 am »

Come on man. There are a few upper classmen that can play, when put in the right position. Key word, few.
Thats fine. If they can win their position. If not, outta here.

hog of steele

• Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 10:48:53 am »

For example, if the Hogs land Kelly Bryant (or, actually, maybe if they don't) then I could definitely see K.J. Jefferson getting some snaps against early-season cupcakes for the experience and then taking a redshirt.

This could go the other way too. I could see a lot of teams empty the benches in their last 4. A Freshman QB may get much more meaningful experience in the last 4 than in the first 4. Let them sit and watch then reward them for their diligence.

Seebs

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 11:04:28 am »

Cull the CBB malaise and play the new hotness.

Old and busted < New Hotness

jackflash

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 11:18:20 am »

I think all the  WR will play most the  defensive line and if we can get DB with speed the will play

Youngsta71701

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 11:47:29 am »

Thats fine. If they can win their position. If not, outta here.
Agreed.

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 12:03:11 pm »

I keep asking and no one has a ready answer. If, indeed, KJ is the QB of the future because of his skills, why did we recruit and sign Jones and Noland? If KJ is the man, either after Bryant, or instead of Bryant, then why did we need these 2 and what do we do with them? Noland has options. He can go straight baseball. Not sure about Jones

Hogbit

• Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 12:07:35 pm »

I keep asking and no one has a ready answer. If, indeed, KJ is the QB of the future because of his skills, why did we recruit and sign Jones and Noland? If KJ is the man, either after Bryant, or instead of Bryant, then why did we need these 2 and what do we do with them? Noland has options. He can go straight baseball. Not sure about Jones
They are saying the same things about KJ that they said about CN and JSJ. Pay them no mind.

Wildhog

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 12:10:18 pm »

They signed like 6 months before KJ committed.  Not sure why you think they have anything to do with each other.

Youngsta71701

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 12:33:01 pm »

You didn't know? Every quarterback is the "next great thing".

dethnode

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 01:01:02 pm »

I think we should attempt to rotate our freshmen this class and let each of them play 4 games, supplement them with the guys already there, that way we can redshirt the entire class, get all of them some real game experience, then come out in 2020 with an experienced young and talented team....

hog of steele

• Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 06:25:09 pm »

Am I understanding that you are asking why we are recruiting depth at QB? Seems pretty obvious that we need more than one QB o campus. KJ may be the man. And he may flame out. He may get injured. He will eventually run out of eligibility or go pro.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 09:16:14 pm »

Maybe some OL, but no reason to red shirt if they can contribute.

The Hawgman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 09:42:13 pm »

Am I understanding that you are asking why we are recruiting depth at QB? Seems pretty obvious that we need more than one QB o campus. KJ may be the man. And he may flame out. He may get injured. He will eventually run out of eligibility or go pro.
Silly discussion, if Hogville was in Bama the question year before last would be why are recruiting that QB with the funny name from Hawaii???

avater

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 10:09:06 pm »

Give me 5 million, a nice office and an 18 million buyout and I will tell you exactly. Well exactly if you  can understand coach speak.

zeke_in_kc

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 11:29:30 pm »

I'm presuming relatively few redshirt.

1. When the coach's seat is warm?
2. The best players go on the field.

We should beat Portland State in next year's opener but after this rough year and potentially dropping our second game to Mississippi next fall?

There'll be widespread panic to get players on the field.

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 03:33:16 pm »

They have quite a few defensive ends committed with some really good ones already in place. Agim could maybe leave early but somebody has to redshirt.
Same can be said on defensive tackles.
Wide receivers, committed 4, 1 is injured but I doubt any of those will beat Woods out.  Some will redshirt
Henry might redshirt unless the position sees a mass transfer.
ThE RB position looks solid in what will be 3 upper class man and 1 experienced redshirt soph.  I think any rb signed redshirt barring a career ending injury or transfers
I think the bulk of whatever number of olinemen signed, redshirt.  There are already 10 or so bodies in place with now alot of experience in this offense.  If they only sign 3, I think 2 redshirt.  If they sign 5, I think at least 2 and likely 3 will redshirt

Locutus_of_Boar

• Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 04:53:16 pm »

100%  Morris will break HDN's SEC record set while at Ole Mrs. by signing 75. all of whom will play four games each in their redshirt year providing enough bodies to offset the injury bug.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 05:34:21 pm »

Bunch of sarcastic posts i guess in here, if not just SMH.

Minimum of 50% probably closer to 75%.
So far the worst part is we lose 3 OL starters and we so far haven't had anybody that should realistically play next year commit. Looking like the starters for next season are on campus already, unless something breaks differently.

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2018, 07:22:41 pm »

They signed like 6 months before KJ committed.  Not sure why you think they have anything to do with each other.

I see your point. My reason for asking is that why do you stockpile QBs like cordwood?  For example we carried 5 countem 5 QBs to LR for Ole.Miss. Then when  we needed a big back, there was none because they left Williams at home.

Next year when we have the current 5  PLUS  KJ and maybe Bryant, are we carrying 7 to every game and leaving the kicker home?

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2018, 07:28:22 pm »

I see your point. My reason for asking is that why do you stockpile QBs like cordwood?  For example we carried 5 countem 5 QBs to LR for Ole.Miss. Then when  we needed a big back, there was none because they left Williams at home.

Next year when we have the current 5  PLUS  KJ and maybe Bryant, are we carrying 7 to every game and leaving the kicker home?

We run the RPO.  RPO QB’s get hurt.  We will absolutely need a stable of SEC caliber QB’s.  And we don’t have that.  Sure, we have numbers, but some arent any good.  Quantity doesn’t mean quality.  We have the former, not the latter.

Some will transfer out.

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2018, 07:41:15 pm »

The four game rule allows a lot of guys to play and still redshirt. Guys like Noah Gatlin and Connor Noland have started for us this year and can still redshirt. John Stephen Jones, Isaiah Nichols and LaDarrius Bishop have played as well but are in line to redshirt. I won't be surprised at all if several of the freshmen play early next year and then in the bowl game, but keep a redshirt.

Hoginsavga

• Varsity
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2018, 08:52:48 pm »

It’s my opinion that you build a winning program by winning games and that should start as soon as possible, preferably the first year, but no later than the second year of a coaching regime. That also includes bringing the fans back to the stadium. With that said, no one should redshirt if he can contribute to a win.

Another factor to consider is the limitation of available scholarships before reaching the maximum of 85. How many slots do you need available each year to continue building and maintaining the program each year with better recruits than having fifth year players that may be marginal?  For example, we may sign 29 players this year that will have 10 to 14 four stars. If this class is an indication of future recruiting wouldn’t it be wise to have open slots in the future for an upgrade in talent? To compound that how many do you redshirt from the 2020 class and the 2021 class? In other words isn’t it possible to have too many redshirts taking up space on the roster if they have limited ability? I understand the value of experience but when does raw talent exceed experience? I say play them all if it contributes to wins.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 10:07:02 am »

They have quite a few defensive ends committed with some really good ones already in place. Agim could maybe leave early but somebody has to redshirt.
Same can be said on defensive tackles.
Wide receivers, committed 4, 1 is injured but I doubt any of those will beat Woods out.  Some will redshirt
Henry might redshirt unless the position sees a mass transfer.
ThE RB position looks solid in what will be 3 upper class man and 1 experienced redshirt soph.  I think any rb signed redshirt barring a career ending injury or transfers
I think the bulk of whatever number of olinemen signed, redshirt.  There are already 10 or so bodies in place with now alot of experience in this offense.  If they only sign 3, I think 2 redshirt.  If they sign 5, I think at least 2 and likely 3 will redshirt
Doubt any of our receivers redshirt.. they should be better than any we have on campus.

Hogbit

• Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 10:12:54 am »

Doubt any of our receivers redshirt.. they should be better than any we have on campus.
Yep

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 10:24:09 am »

Very few. We always play lots of young guys and this will be Morris' first true class, so he'll want to get his guys out on the field quick.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 10:57:27 am »

10-12 %

OkieBack

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2018, 05:18:56 pm »

Even if you could recruit every single position not every freshman is going to start.  They all may see some playing time, however its going to boil down to the best player at each position including QB.  I still think if Ty keeps improving he will go into 2019 with the most experience running this offense and should start.  And if he has more receivers with speed to throw to...watch out.   

Talented Freshmen are kind of like college grads.  They are the new kids in the office with potential but that doesn't necessarily translate to street smarts and experience and keeping the business afloat.  It just depends on if the newbies are that much better than the starters, but I would guess that may be as much as 25% of the starting positions may be up for grabs in 2019, but I really don't know the numbers as far as Senior starters who will be graduating.  It would take a pretty remarkable haul (a QB that could run the offense Day #1) in order to unseat Ty considering he continues to get better and better.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2018, 05:35:56 pm »

I figure we'll see 7-8 freshman who contribute enough that they don't figure out how to only play them in 4 games.

That's a lot, even though yall think we'll play all the freshman all season.

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2018, 01:17:13 pm »

I said 25% only because 5-10% wasn't an option. 

Youngsta71701

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2018, 01:23:41 pm »

Even if you could recruit every single position not every freshman is going to start.  They all may see some playing time, however its going to boil down to the best player at each position including QB.  I still think if Ty keeps improving he will go into 2019 with the most experience running this offense and should start.  And if he has more receivers with speed to throw to...watch out.   

Talented Freshmen are kind of like college grads.  They are the new kids in the office with potential but that doesn't necessarily translate to street smarts and experience and keeping the business afloat.  It just depends on if the newbies are that much better than the starters, but I would guess that may be as much as 25% of the starting positions may be up for grabs in 2019, but I really don't know the numbers as far as Senior starters who will be graduating.  It would take a pretty remarkable haul (a QB that could run the offense Day #1) in order to unseat Ty considering he continues to get better and better.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic. But if there are some freshmen that are better than the upperclassmen in their position, they need to play. Period.

liljo

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2018, 01:34:26 pm »

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. But if there are some freshmen that are better than the upperclassmen in their position, they need to play. Period.

Uh, have you ever heard of a guy named Captain Obvious?
It's an absolute certainty the best players are going to play, regardless of position, for this coaching staff.

An absolute certainty.

That said, a guy can have more "talent" and NOT be a "better player" yet, due to youth and inexperience, or nagging ailments, etc. So let me rephrase slightly:
It is an absolute certainty the players who are playing the best are going to play, regardless of position, for this coaching staff.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2018, 03:47:05 pm »

Just the early injuries.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2018, 04:38:18 pm »

The % should shake out using the following:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 07:58:48 pm by Boardon Hamsay »

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2018, 06:10:41 pm »

How many of these d linemen will end up at LB or OL?

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2018, 07:52:07 pm »

Uh, have you ever heard of a guy named Captain Obvious?
It's an absolute certainty the best players are going to play, regardless of position, for this coaching staff.

An absolute certainty.

That said, a guy can have more "talent" and NOT be a "better player" yet, due to youth and inexperience, or nagging ailments, etc. So let me rephrase slightly:
It is an absolute certainty the players who are playing the best are going to play, regardless of position, for this coaching staff.
You should read fanonthehill's posts in the Coach Fry thread that contradict this.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2018, 08:20:13 pm »

The % should shake out using the following:
That is damn good.

Its 2018, Hogville needs more algorithms.

AugustaHog

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2018, 10:15:55 pm »

I think you see very few redshirts. Assuming we get Bryant, KJ will almost definitely redshirt.
This would depend on whether Storey stays under this scenario.  If he does, I agree that KJ could get a little run in the OOC games and then hang onto the RS.  If Ty says screw it and leaves, there may be some value in letting KJ play a bit more.  Your scenario is most likely though.  This really could be a nice unit if KB comes and Ty stays with KJ, Noland, and JSJ fighting for QB of the future.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas