• 10,116,234 Posts
• 404,150 Topics
• 23,079 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018-2019 NBA Prediction Thread!  (Read 596 times)

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
2018-2019 NBA Prediction Thread!
« on: October 16, 2018, 09:18:53 pm »

Hi folks,

Most years I remember to get into the prediction business for the NBA.  I love seeing what I think at the beginning of the year, versus what turns out,  where and when my thinking on a thing turns on a dime, and  what big things I'm missing.

So, without further ado, a few thoughts on teams.

Eastern Conference:

Atlantic Division

Boston Celtics:   My pick to come out of the East, they're going to have to juggle lineups early.  The ability to run two or three dynamic wings at people,  consistent defensive effort, and the best in-game coaching in the league right now will travel wherever they go.  This is as deep a team as there is in the league, and its top end talent is also right there for the 2nd or 3rd spot.   They'll fall to the Warriors in 5, though,  in the NBA Finals.  61-21 Record

Brooklyn Nets:  For better or for worse, this is the make or break season for D'Angelo Russell in my mind.  This is his team.  Joe Harris is a nice piece, and you can kind of see where they might build, but they're just not an attractive FA destination to my mind.   If Dudley gets hurt, this team is back at square one when it comes to floor spacing, unless Harris carries a much bigger burden.    30-52 Record

New York Knicks:  This is a team that I just don't understand.    The upside: they no longer do spectacularly dumb things.  Now, they just do incredibly confusing things;  they are incredibly young (good);  they bring in a boatload of formerly lottery picks (confusing);  they have strange rotations at times, and seem to either not care that Porzingas is what makes them go,   or believe that if you bring in enough moving parts, eventually an NBA rotation will shake out of it.    I think they're better talent wise, and Porz is healthy--  this is a team that did start out 17-14 to start last year.    I still don't like them,  but I'll peg them at one of the league's least watchable, a 28-54 team

Philadelphia 76ers:  Great top end talent.  I don't love what they've done with their bench.   I do love Simmon's development the last half of last year--  he's a problem for anyone they play.    I really dislike the loss of bench shooting, especially as Fultz is a complete wild card as a shooter.  Still, Simmons is great, and Embiid, when healthy, is an absolute beast.   If he stays healthy, they win a little more despite their bench issues.  If he doesn't, they could almost fall out of the playoff conversation  57-25 record.  They'll disappoint in the playoffs, when teams will continue to kill them until Fultz learns to shoot.

Toronto Raptors:  Somehow, all of the three best teams in the Eastern Conference reside in the Atlantic Division.   This means some pretty great regular season basketball will be played, but that someone is going to underperform record-wise.   I love Leonard and Lowry as a pairing, but this front court has some issues that I think are going to limit their ceiling more than most anticipate.  Throw in learning to play together on the fly, and Serge Ibaka as an aging centerpiece of the front court, and I'm not as bullish as most on the Raptors.  Still one of the top 4 or 5 places to play a home game in the NBA right now, though.  I'll peg them at only 51-31, with minor injuries to their stars or major injuries to their front court keeping this number artificially down.   I like them to make the Conference finals and lose in 7 games to the Celtics, though.

Central Division

Chicago Bulls:    I'm not crazy about the Jabari Parker pick up.   Bobby has to figure out what he is in the NBA still.   I don't view Dunn as a true top half of the league PG, and while I enjoy Lavine, he's not worth the money he wants.  He's a great second unit guy- not a feature player on a contender.     They're such an amalgamation of okay to pretty decent parts, that just doesn't work as a team.   The East isn't deep, so they'll likely be less awful than I think, but not as good as others do.   26-56 Record

Cleveland Cavaliers:  This team isn't going to be as awful as you'd think.  Kevin Love is a bit older, but is a legitimate second tier type guy, when the offense is built around him.  He has to stay healthy, though, for this team not to fall apart.   I think they'll flirt with early playoff contention, but fade the last couple of weeks.  They have more useful parts than you think, that'll step out from under Lebron's shadow a little.  36-46 in one of my true 'people are sleeping on them' teams.   If they struggle, it will be because Sexton has a rough adjustment season to becoming an NBA lead guard.

Detroit Pistons:  Another team like the Bulls, that just isn't worth watching.   Blake is a health nightmare, but can still be highly productive when healthy.  Drummond deserves kudos like few other NBA players, for actually addressing a true weakness in his game.  Its not good yet-- its still bad--  but its not ruinously crippling anymore, to see him go to the line.  I hope it holds up.    There will be more than a few nights where they roll out with 2 of the 3 best players on the court against the bottom half of the league-- but still lose or struggle to put those teams away.   I think they underachieve predictors, and only get to about 36-46.   If Blake stays healthy, maybe they creep up a smidge, but are you willing to bet heavily on that?

Indiana Pacers:  These guys just play hard all the time.   They rotate on defense-- not superb defenders, but just doing their darned jobs, and lo and behold, it still works at a professional level.   Sabonis is growing as a professional player, and I just like to watch these guys play.    A ton of people are picking them for serious regression.   They played last year largely without their best big, so I don't view his loss as crippling.   I think they hold at near last year's level, going 47-35 and losing a respectable playoff series.

Milwaukee Bucks:   Another Eastern Conference team I'm a smidge bullish on;  they did what you need to do with Giannis-  add shooting, shooting, and more shooting around him.    Yeah, there are going to be defensive issues.    I like them better as a playoff problem than as a regular season monster, and they could topple one of the East's Big 3 in a series.   48-34 for the Bucks

Southeast Division:

Atlanta Hawks:     Ya gotta be nice at this point of the year.  I want to see how they play Vince Carter.  I'm fascinated by the idea of Trey Young as an NBA player.   This is going to be a really bad team, though.   I think the projections that have them as high as 28 wins are just too sunny.   They're not as terrible  the 24 win team of last year, but a lot of the middle to lower class of the East has made some strides.    I pick them to essentially repeat last year, 25-57 -- but not a fun watch at all.

Charlotte Hornets:  I really hope the basketball documentary Jordan is working on, is good, eventually.   This basketball team?  Not so much.    Its so odd to see Tony Parker in a non-Spurs jersey.  It may be one of the most jarring things you'll see all year, without a moment of basketball actually attached to it. Some people pick them to win almost 40, but ugh.   I just can't.  37-45.

Miami Heat  :  Not an untalented team, but they do need a shakeup.   This is really where Jimmy Butler needs to land, but its probably not going to happen right away.     They're too talented to be at the bottom of the Eastern Conference.  43-39, but an unenthusiastic winning record, to me.

Orlando Magic:    I just don't like their roster composition.  I guess they're still professional players, and Vucevic will always be one of my favorite  'that guy' players in the league, but I just don't see them being anything other than treading water.  Another 30-52 type season feels right.

Washington Wizards  :  I just don't see them as making any progress in the East.  The bottom's better, the top is probably better,  and I think the Wizards are largely the same.   They'll bore their way to another 46-36 year, and a first round playoff exit.

Post Season: 

Celtics (61-21) over Charlotte (37-45) in 4
76ers ( 57-25) over Heat (43-39) in 5
Raptors (51-31) over Wizards (46-36) in 5 
Bucks (48-34) over Pacers (47-35) in 6

Celtics over Bucks in 6
Raptors over 76ers in 7

Celtics over Raptors in 6

Western Conference

Pacific Division

Golden State Warriors  The best team that can roll out the best crunch time lineup.  This may be the beginning of the end of the Warriors as a dominant dominant team, but it will be economics and health that end their reign, not talent. 62-20 and another NBA title in the offing for the Warriors.

Los Angeles Clippers :  Very strong contenders for the love/hate/love/hate team of the year.   Their roster is mediocre to bad by Western Conference standards, but they have some real brass balls type players.   I think they scrape their way to 36-46 as a pesky team.

Los Angeles Lakers:   LeBron's new digs have plenty of issues, but the old man keeps dragging bad teams to good finishes.  I think they struggle to get to 50 wins, but are a pain in the butt by the end of the year.    Ingram's development is probably the ceiling for this team,  and while I like him as a player, I still think he's a couple of years from being a borderline All-Star.  49-33 for the Lake Show, and a good post season showing.

Phoenix Suns Ayton will be fun to watch.  They've got a lot of pretty good parts, but always feel like less than the sum of them when you see them play.   A fun team to watch in high scoring, low consequence basketball games, I figure they'll finish in that 28-54 range.

Sacramento Kings  They have cap room?   I like them more than most do, even if they are still carrying the corpse of Zach Randolph on that roster.   I think they blow the lid off of expectations, and win *25* games!   That's right- you heard it here first. 25-57.  Break up the Kings!

Southwest Division

Dallas Mavericks:  Maybe I like this roster more 4 years ago.    Now, I  just see a lot of aging, less than ideal guys who aren't going to put fear into anyone.  I think that the people picking them to win 28 are hoping that the middle class of the Western Conference regresses enough for them to steal wins.   I'm going to shade a tiny bit lower, and peg them as a 27-55 team.

Houston Rockets:  One of my prime candidates for a serious regression, the Rockets.  I don't like how they chose to replace Ariza,  and Chris Paul is a year older.   You still can't count on Harden when it counts.   I think they fall almost 10 games in the win column, all the way back to 57-25.   They have another playoff choke job and their contender window closes hard.

Memphis Grizzlies Marc Gasol and Conley are going to have to carry this roster for the Nth year in a row.   Yeah, they're two well above average players, but this is pushing a half decade of them not having much in the way of serious help.     Health will matter a lot for the Grizzlies, but I just don't see them as a decent team able to sustain anything this year.   Unless Chandler Parsons returns as something other than a medical mystery, there is no way that they can drag this corpse of a franchise into the playoff picture.   34-58 sounds right.

New Orleans Pelicans:  It strikes me as so odd, to see a Top 3 player on a team that struggles so mightily to aspire to mediocrity.  I think they're going to feel the loss of a veteran presence like Rondo more than numbers suggest they aught;  I don't think they did much more than catch momentary lightning in a bottle when they beat the Blazers.   The Pellies will be about what they were.  45-37--  another year of Prime Anthony Davis wasted.

San Antonio Spurs  The least Spurs-ian team that has ever Spurs'd under Pop.     There is so much not to like about this roster-- I mean, you are looking at Rudy Gay as a serious glue guy?   I like Murray, but with him out with the knee, I can see them getting out to a very slow start,  and never shaking it off.   I think they make a run at .500 basketball, but fall just short, at 40-42.

Northwest

Denver Nuggets  One of my Jeckyl-Hyde teams;  its pretty impossible to say how the injections of IT and Porter might change their dynamics.    Unsurprisingly, Porter is starting out the year unhealthy.  Maybe they just stick to last year's identity and grow.  Hardest team for me to pick right now.  I'll go 48-34

Minnesota Timberwolves   A team with deep, deep issues, but a ton of talent.  Wiggins and KAT continue to grow, which is great news for their prospects.  The bad news is, the guy who is the crunch time star, Butler, is begging his way out of town.  The upside is that Jimmy missed a quarter of last year, so its not like they've never played without him.    They still won 47 games.    I think that he is gone before the season gets too far gone, and they end up dropping back pretty seriously, to a 35-47 type team.

Oklahoma City Thunder  Paul George returns to the OKC?   Still a very solid two way guy-- and I really think dropping Melo will be a long term help, not just from a financial standpoint.  Still, this team will go as far as Russ' legs carry them.   He's got to start showing some wear soon,  so I think they tread water with another 48-34 season.

Portland Trail Blazers:  Last season's playoff run should have been a stark warning to the Blazers, that they need to change how they play the game.  All the noises out of Portland seem to be in that vein, but we really need to see those changes on the actual basketball floor to know.  Roster wise, they haven't done anything to fall in love with yet;  they have the limitations of the contracts for their Big 3,  but they're going to have to find a way to change identities with the complementary pieces around them. 40-42 as they work through issues.

Utah Jazz  The second major regression candidate;  this is a team that caught fire on the back of unsustainable shooting numbers-- and when that shooting regresses to the mean, they're not going to be able to play 2 non shooters on the court at the same time.  The Jazz you saw for 50 games, is a lot more like what you'll see than the Jazz of the last 30.  They fall back to 45-37, and are a quiet playoff sweep candidate.

Playoffs:
Warriors (62-20) over Trailblazers in a sweep
Rockets (57-35) over Pelicans (45-37) in 6
Lakers (49-33) over Jazz (45-37) in a sweep
Thunder (48-34 over Nuggets (48-34)  in 7

Championship:
Warriors over Celtics in 5

HiggiePiggy

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hope...
Re: 2018-2019 NBA Prediction Thread!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 09:48:38 pm »

Iím going to just say Lakers vs Celtics. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

alohawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 02:02:50 am »

Rockets over Celtics in 7 for the title.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 01:24:09 pm »

Iím going to just say Lakers vs Celtics. 

Out of curiosity, why do you seek the Lakers getting by the Warriors?

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 01:24:52 pm »

Rockets over Celtics in 7 for the title.

Are the Rockets truly better?   Is Cousins somehow going to make the Warriors worse?     I'm always curious as to the thinking people have for these things.

alohawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 02:44:29 pm »

Are the Rockets truly better?   Is Cousins somehow going to make the Warriors worse?     I'm always curious as to the thinking people have for these things.

The Rockets were close and really good enough if not for Harden being awful much of that series. Are they better with Carmelo? If so, they could be there again. Plus Chris Paul staying healthy in the playoffs would help a lot.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 06:39:24 pm »

The Rockets were close and really good enough if not for Harden being awful much of that series. Are they better with Carmelo? If so, they could be there again. Plus Chris Paul staying healthy in the playoffs would help a lot.

Carmelo is such a huge negative to me, as is the replacement of Ariza.  I just saw today where Melo has already been relegated to the bench. 

311Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 12:44:51 pm »

watching the Pelican'ts thump them on their home floor brought great joy for me.   Same for the west coast brick show i mean the new Lake show.

alohawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 01:12:32 pm »

Carmelo is such a huge negative to me, as is the replacement of Ariza.  I just saw today where Melo has already been relegated to the bench. 

Tbh, not a Carmelo fan myself. Ariza I've liked back when he was a Laker. Guess we'll see how it all pans out soon enough.

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 05:49:03 pm »

Out of curiosity, why do you seek the Lakers getting by the Warriors?

He has been in the championship game for the last 8 years now? I think he finds a way to pull off the biggest upset and gets into the championship game again in his first year. 

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 05:50:35 pm »

Carmelo Anthony? If so then they arenít going far.  He is a me me guy and cancer to teams. 

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 05:53:54 pm »

He has been in the championship game for the last 8 years now? I think he finds a way to pull off the biggest upset and gets into the championship game again in his first year. 

He's going to have a hard enough time dragging that collection of Lakers into a Top 4 playoff seeding in the West, that I just don't see them overcoming an even better edition of the Warriors to get there.

Wisco Pig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 09:41:44 am »

Terrific overview, Erie.   Thanks.

Oliver

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 10:15:32 pm »

As long as Luke Walton is the Lakers coach, they arenít going anywhere

247Hog

• Senior
  • Burger Bob loves Coke
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 03:15:30 pm »

This is going to sound like im just trolling but im not. I haven't payed alot of attention to the NBA in years until now. Every day i see some drama on the ticker with NBA players not liking this person or that person. Don't wanna play because they don't like the coach or teammate. I've seen more headlines about drama than plays. Has it always been this bad and i just didn't see it?

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 08:01:35 pm »

This is going to sound like im just trolling but im not. I haven't payed alot of attention to the NBA in years until now. Every day i see some drama on the ticker with NBA players not liking this person or that person. Don't wanna play because they don't like the coach or teammate. I've seen more headlines about drama than plays. Has it always been this bad and i just didn't see it?

Its pretty much been constantly this, although it used to be with coaches more than players. 

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 09:43:47 pm »

Can someone explain why Steph Curry is seldom mentioned in the MVP conversation?  He's second in the league in scoring.  If I'm not mistaken he is the only guard within the top 20 in the league in effective field goal percentage, and despite the notion that the Warriors are a great team whether he is in the lineup or not, they struggled without him.

How many other times has the best player on the best team been such an afterthought?  The narrative is, "Well, yeah, he is the greatest shooter in history and he regularly takes over games (like last night, and like a couple of nights before against the Mavericks), but...but..."

Actually I can't finish that sentence because I don't understand how it works.

311Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 09:22:20 am »

Can someone explain why Steph Curry is seldom mentioned in the MVP conversation?  He's second in the league in scoring.  If I'm not mistaken he is the only guard within the top 20 in the league in effective field goal percentage, and despite the notion that the Warriors are a great team whether he is in the lineup or not, they struggled without him.

How many other times has the best player on the best team been such an afterthought?  The narrative is, "Well, yeah, he is the greatest shooter in history and he regularly takes over games (like last night, and like a couple of nights before against the Mavericks), but...but..."

i agree my only thought is because he is a 2 time winner and a i believe the only "unanimous" winner of the MVP and thus he cannot " win it" anymore kind of like Lebron already won it enough even though he clear carries his team.

Other nite vs  NO was insane by Steph i love watching that kid play.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 09:00:30 pm »

I don't know why you'd think he's rarely mentioned.    He's usually the 2nd or 3rd candidate named.

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 09:44:44 pm »

I don't know why you'd think he's rarely mentioned.    He's usually the 2nd or 3rd candidate named.

I was watching an ESPN roundtable a few nights ago and he wasn't one of the candidates mentioned.

Giannis
Harden
LeBron
Leonard

Curry spreads defenses thin unlike any player in the league.  His value isn't just in his own scoring, which is of course outstanding, but what his presence creates for others. 

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 09:52:22 pm »

I was watching an ESPN roundtable a few nights ago and he wasn't one of the candidates mentioned.

Giannis
Harden
LeBron
Leonard

Curry spreads defenses thin unlike any player in the league.  His value isn't just in his own scoring, which is of course outstanding, but what his presence creates for others. 

Woof.  There's the problem.  Watching Skip, or The Jump, or the like is like hitting yourself in the balls with a spiked mace, when it comes to basketball.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2019, 09:52:33 pm »

Quick question guys, has Dallas already sent Macon back down?

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 04:01:31 am »

Quick question guys, has Dallas already sent Macon back down?

This is a 'No, but..' answer.

He's played 3 minutes in January, and is still on his two way deal.   Depending on how the Mavs plan to position themselves at the trade deadline, maybe he sees a few more minutes to go along with a ton of DNPs or gets sent back down;  if they go totally in the tank,  and trade a guard, maybe he sees a few more minutes.

I'd say its 50-50 he finishes the year with the Mavs.  They're 4.5 out of the last playoff spot with 11 teams ahead of them fighting for those 8 spots.     They're not in optimal tank position, but they are short of assets unless they trade Dennis Smith Jr. -- but there isn't a ton of flexibility out there left for buyers who aren't the Kings.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas