• 9,928,211 Posts
• 399,311 Topics
• 22,894 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This one is on the defense  (Read 556 times)

RazorbackDJT

This one is on the defense
« on: October 13, 2018, 10:36:16 pm »

Couldnít get pressure on the QB.  Couldnít tackle in space.  The recruits canít get here soon enough!!

Arkansas Fan

Re: This one is on the defense
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 10:40:13 pm »

Just think, there's still no guarantee the defense will be any better even with the recruits coming in. We still will have the same coaches. I'm thinking Chavis isn't who we want.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

GoHogs1091

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 10:53:27 pm »

Just think, there's still no guarantee the defense will be any better even with the recruits coming in. We still will have the same coaches. I'm thinking Chavis isn't who we want.

If it were me, I would be contacting the following after the season concludes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gibbs

Nick Saban didn't start having dominant defenses until after the 1 year he worked with him at LSU.

bacon&eggs

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 11:01:42 pm »

Why the defense wasn't better prepared to play 4 quarters, tackle and wrap-up, and stop the the QB from running up the middle, I don't know. But maybe things would have been different if Storey used a slide to avoid the hit. QB's that don't slide risk career ending injuries, and put the team in a difficult position to win. It would have been nice if the coaches and Storey realized this in pre-season and coached and practiced accordingly.

Ole Miss played and coached to win. The Hogs didn't. It was a team loss with many layers.

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 11:09:46 pm »

Maybe it's somewhat scheme but I think it's athletes on D and we don't have them.  Weak tackling in the secondary and DL who can't wrap up either.  Only Harris and Greenlaw are good tacklers and that is individual strength to bring people down.  Only recruiting will fix that.  Scheme wise I think we needed to make him stay in pocket more.  He is very accurate but I think his running hurt us more than his passing. 

Ironhawg

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 11:24:51 pm »

Maybe it's somewhat scheme but I think it's athletes on D and we don't have them.  Weak tackling in the secondary and DL who can't wrap up either.  Only Harris and Greenlaw are good tacklers and that is individual strength to bring people down.  Only recruiting will fix that.  Scheme wise I think we needed to make him stay in pocket more.  He is very accurate but I think his running hurt us more than his passing. 

Why does our defense seen so vulnerable up the middle?  OM exploited the middle of the field again and again in the second half.  Is it lack of speed?  Bad game planning?  Combination of both?

OkieBack

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 11:27:45 pm »

Why does our defense seen so vulnerable up the middle?  OM exploited the middle of the field again and again in the second half.  Is it lack of speed?  Bad game planning?  Combination of both?

I think the main person to answer this one is Chavis.  I'll be interested to hear what his game plan was and how he evaluates where it worked and where it failed.  Did we spy the QB?  Did we contain but fail to get the tackle when the QB took off out of the pocket?  Do we lack speed?  Better decision making?  Help us out coach. 

Rzbakfromwaybak

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 01:32:55 am »

Believe we're going to need to reach a logical conclusion.  This team just doesn't have the talent needed right now, to compete in the SEC.  Doesn't matter who the coach is, they'd have the same problem.  Coaching, can only do so much, & speed cannot be replaced on a football field.  Morris was sure right when he said...."you've either got speed, or you're chasing it".  We seem to be chasing it a lot....

HawgnCorona

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 01:39:35 am »

Believe we're going to need to reach a logical conclusion.  This team just doesn't have the talent needed right now, to compete in the SEC.  Doesn't matter who the coach is, they'd have the same problem.  Coaching, can only do so much, & speed cannot be replaced on a football field.  Morris was sure right when he said...."you've either got speed, or you're chasing it".  We seem to be chasing it a lot....

This...

Tick Hog

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 02:11:03 am »

Iím going to give credit to Ole Miss WRís. Not only are they good after the catch but they block for each other very well until the whistle. With that said we have to have safeties that can freaking tackle when in position. Thereís nothing better to have then a thumper back there but at this point Iíll take anyone who can just hang on to a leg.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 07:53:42 am »

Simply put, if Ramirez could tackle at all, we win that game. 

dfwhawg

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 07:58:43 am »

STOP using the talent excuse.  Many D1 schools do not have the talents that we do on Def but yet they play with great efforts and usually win.  Can't say the same for Ark Def.

ballz2thewall

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 07:59:24 am »

one big issue on defense is depth. our starters have shown that they can pull some plays, but they get gassed and there's no avoiding that.

by comparison, remember the years when ole miss had a bad-asss starting D? same thing happened to them, and particularly later on in the year. those guys in starting positions get worn down.

ricepig

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 08:00:44 am »

Simply put, if Ramirez could tackle at all, we win that game. 

Sometimes, you just have to let their eligibility run out. I thought we had a couple of freshman that were suppose to be big time safety prospects in the previous class? I guess they're not ready.

ballz2thewall

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 08:00:51 am »

Iím going to give credit to Ole Miss WRís. Not only are they good after the catch but they block for each other very well until the whistle. With that said we have to have safeties that can freaking tackle when in position. Thereís nothing better to have then a thumper back there but at this point Iíll take anyone who can just hang on to a leg.

yes. i started another thread on the mismatch with our db's. our guys were blocked by bigger and better wr's.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 08:07:00 am »

Sometimes, you just have to let their eligibility run out. I thought we had a couple of freshman that were suppose to be big time safety prospects in the previous class? I guess they're not ready.

I canít figure it out why he is ALWAYS back there.   He should at least be splitting time with someone. 

LRrazorback

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 08:13:22 am »

But according to lots on here, we have talent, we were ranked in the mid and upper 20ís in our recruiting classes.

Itís obvious we donít have SPEED. When youíre chasing all night long youíre slow.

Hogwild

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 08:17:35 am »

This one is on the defense

Our offense didn't score a touchdown in the final 40+ minutes of the game.

hawgsalot

• Senior
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 08:23:25 am »

What's crazy to me is that we've done a pretty dang good job against some running QBs this year!  We were doomed when Boyd went out of the game, he's the only one on offense that strikes fear in defenses, he opens up so much of the other stuff. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas