• 10,017,858 Posts
• 401,530 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: This feels like a big step backwards  (Read 2679 times)

LumberBacks

Re: This feels like a big step backwards
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2018, 10:55:09 pm »

I agree and the hogs are making strides.  You can't win if you lose your Starting QB and top 2 RB's.  Our defense played against the 2nd best offense in the conference.  We got torched by their big physical WRs and the QB scrambles.   Our defense has been burned 2 weeks in a row by VERY good offenses but we will face few Offenses this good the rest of the season.
I don't think we are making many strides.  The D did not show any improvement from game 1.  Ole Miss went ninety-frikin-seven hards to win the game in 1:20.  Again, the D has NOT IMPROVED and thats disappointing.  The only improvement on offense is that Storey is running the offense better.  But it's no where near a SEC offense.  So offense has improved from game 1 a little.  That means that the coaching staff is failing at player development, play calling, and game planning.

Hogmatic

« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2018, 10:57:37 pm »

Some of you need to chill.  A 1-5 team with a new QB that is starting this year for the first time is not going to survive if we lost said QB and our stud RB that has been the run threat that opened up the offense. We then lost the next best RB soon after.   We lost by 4 points to a team after losing our starting Stud RB, next stud RB, and our starting QB twice.   Play calling will not be the same if you lose those guys.   We also played the 2nd best Offense in the Conference with the best WRs in the nation.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogmatic

« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2018, 10:58:21 pm »

I don't think we are making many strides.  The D did not show any improvement from game 1.  Ole Miss went ninety-frikin-seven hards to win the game in 1:20.  Again, the D has NOT IMPROVED and thats disappointing.  The only improvement on offense is that Storey is running the offense better.  But it's no where near a SEC offense.  So offense has improved from game 1 a little.  That means that the coaching staff is failing at player development, play calling, and game planning.

It totally disagree but that's life

HogNTX

• Varsity
  • Spending time in my Hog Oasis
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2018, 11:01:06 pm »

I honestly believe The Hogs are the worst coached team in all of college football currently.

And what coaching experience is this comment flowing from?

1dayinthelifeofporkiepig

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2018, 11:01:29 pm »

A friend said "Well at this point now, it's just a matter of getting the season done, getting fans all excited with an NFL type recruiting class and resume the cycle once more."

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2018, 11:03:22 pm »

Defense is bad and is getting worse.  This loss had nothing to do with anyone getting hurt or play calling.  Defense is bad and no way with 2 minutes left and you have them pinned on the 3 should you lose that game.  That had nothing to do with Cole, Ty, Boyd or Waley.  It was the 11 defenders that arenít very good. We have a lot of returning starters on defense and they have proved over the years they are not winners...
Correct.  This looked as bad or worse than the defense against CSU (4th qtr) and North Texas.  Our secondary are horrible tacklers in space and DL cannot corral the QB.  We may be the worst tackling defense ever except for Harris and Greenlaw.  Seems like they are not strong enough to get anyone down.  We need some MEN on defense and that is only fixed through recruiting. 

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2018, 11:05:14 pm »

Also put Taamu on our team and we win by 20 probably.  He is best QB we have faced except for Bama.  I would love a big, strong guy who can run and is an accurate thrower.  Maybe Jefferson is that guy. 

1dayinthelifeofporkiepig

• Band Nerd
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2018, 11:06:00 pm »

Can you imagine standing in the rain for 4 hours or so, think your team is finally going to win, and then reality sets in.

NaturalStateReb

• Czar of Arkansas
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2018, 11:08:11 pm »

Sorry, but even with the lost players we had chances to get into the end zone after halftime and couldn't do it mainly because of conservative play calling.  I can't see we progressed tonight.  If we hold them to one less touchdown...we win.  If we score one more TD in the 2nd half...we win. 

Don't blame the players.  They are doing all they are capable of doing.  But I feel the offensive play calls were suspect and didn't give us the best chance to score the 2nd half. 

You canít get aggressive with play calls with Kelley. That game ending pick was proof of that.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2018, 11:23:29 pm »

You can call passes downfield or lose.

This was the last of the Freeze OM $ players with these WRs. 

Oliver

« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2018, 11:29:53 pm »

You canít get aggressive with play calls with Kelley. That game ending pick was proof of that.

You also canít rely on this defense to make stops.  The entire second half was proof of that

d3maybe

• Varsity
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2018, 11:33:48 pm »

You know they had injuries on their team to right?  Maybe if they donít they shut down our offense.  Truth be told no one knows.  Your guessing just like me.  What we do know is we are not any good and we have a history of not playing 4 full quarters.   We have a lot of returning starters on defense that have lost a lot of games and do not have enough pride to give all they have everygame.  That will not be changed until there is an entire overhaul of most of this team.  That I do know.

Yeah yeah... Everyone is using the excuse that they had injuries too... But if their QB goes down for the 4th quarter we win by two scores... Maybe three... It's who we lost that made the difference.

JaketheSnake

« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2018, 12:21:49 am »

I donít understand why this is so difficult to grasp! Maybe the alcohol?

We lost a game we werenít supposed to win.  And we lost three important pieces to the tram in the process.

UA1985

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2018, 12:31:41 am »

We were making some good strides the last few weeks.  The 2nd half was a giant step in the wrong direction.
You're a dolt. We, a 1-5 team, played a 4-2 team even for most of the game and likely would have won if not for injuries to our starting QB and top 2 RBs. I don't see how a thinking person can view that as a step back. Again, you, sir, are a dolt.

Melancholy_Pigg

• Senior
  • Excuse me, sir. Did you just insult that pig?
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2018, 12:36:44 am »

I honestly believe The Hogs are the worst coached team in all of college football currently.

Guess you are just tuning in.  The guy we had in the driver's seat the last 5 years was worse, I assure you.  And we won't even talk about the guy who was HC for one season before him.  That guy was a real piece of work.  He couldn't even consistently remember where he was.

So - we're getting over a 6-year hangover - it really is going to get better. 

Sho Nuff

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2018, 12:41:00 am »

You're a dolt. We, a 1-5 team, played a 4-2 team even for most of the game and likely would have won if not for injuries to our starting QB and top 2 RBs. I don't see how a thinking person can view that as a step back. Again, you, sir, are a dolt.
Sick burn.  Ole Miss hasnít beaten a decent team.  To be satisfied that we hung with them speaks volumes of your expectations in life.  Iím not upset with the offense, I understand injuries, although Ole Miss seemed to cope with theirs. 

Mo_Better_Hogs

• All-American Hogvillian
  • DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2018, 12:41:12 am »

we don't have the quality depth to absorb so many key injuries

Right. We may be thinner at other positions (like linebacker, db, who knows?), but I'm not sure the dropoff would be felt as much as today, had someone else gone down. We were missing the 3 guys who were moving the chains and putting points on the board.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2018, 12:42:29 am »

You also canít rely on this defense to make stops.  The entire second half was proof of that
chief told us we dont have the depth to be successful for 4 qtrs before the season began. he was right.

Jimbob111

« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2018, 12:57:14 am »

And what coaching experience is this comment flowing from?

I'm not a world-class chef but I know when a steak is cooked right. I'm not a mechanical engineer but I know when a lawnmower is well-made. I'm not a photographer but I know when a photograph makes an impression.

I don't know what is with everyone questioning "what kind of coach are you?" or "what's your coaching experience?" when people criticize Chad.  I'm not a plumber but I know when a toilet's stopped up with crap...

It's really not that hard, if you watch football at all, to see that Chad is making bad decisions, has poor clock management skills, poor use of time outs, and poor use of personnel on the field. He calls plays that the players on the field can't execute. A good coach calls plays that his personnel can execute and I don't see Chad doing that.

No, I'm not a coach. But I'm not blind either. I watched the coach at Fresno State outcoach Chad tonight. I watched Orgeron outcoach both Kirby Smart and Chad. I watch other coaches make different decisions and that is how I know Chad is making bad ones. 

Deerhunter

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2018, 10:54:08 am »

chief told us we dont have the depth to be successful for 4 qtrs before the season began. he was right.

He did?  I donít remember him saying this.

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2018, 11:04:27 am »

I'm not a world-class chef but I know when a steak is cooked right. I'm not a mechanical engineer but I know when a lawnmower is well-made. I'm not a photographer but I know when a photograph makes an impression.

I don't know what is with everyone questioning "what kind of coach are you?" or "what's your coaching experience?" when people criticize Chad.  I'm not a plumber but I know when a toilet's stopped up with crap...

It's really not that hard, if you watch football at all, to see that Chad is making bad decisions, has poor clock management skills, poor use of time outs, and poor use of personnel on the field. He calls plays that the players on the field can't execute. A good coach calls plays that his personnel can execute and I don't see Chad doing that.

No, I'm not a coach. But I'm not blind either. I watched the coach at Fresno State outcoach Chad tonight. I watched Orgeron outcoach both Kirby Smart and Chad. I watch other coaches make different decisions and that is how I know Chad is making bad ones. 

Did we just become friends I think we did

Deerhunter

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2018, 11:12:24 am »

Best post I have read in a long time.

lasthog

« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2018, 11:19:12 am »

Okay, the team still has lots of problems and weaknesses. However they are not looking like the Keystone cops anymore, just a sub-par team gradually but erratically improving.

My question to all those critics that say that losing the three players that are the clear keys to our offense makes no difference in what the outcome of the game should have been, I pose a question:  Just how many starters on this shaky offense would have to go down before you would believe this had any impact on the game.

Just pick a number between four and eleven. Numbers 1-3 are already spoken for.

Your number please...

Hogmatic

« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2018, 11:22:27 am »

You continue to spin your unrealistic narrative like some of the others.   It is a FACT that our 3 best Players on Offense were knocked out of the game.  It is a FACT that the QB and BOTH RBs were the reason we were winning AND those were the players we LOST.  It is a FACT that we played the 4th quarter without ALL 3. OM made O'Grady non-existent in the 2nd qtr on.  Our WRs did nothing and they couldn't pick up the slack when our RB's went down.   It is a FACT that Kelley and Hayden replaced the starting QB and top 2 RBs and neither are close to the talent and less capable of running the offense.

There was no reason to pass when you could run Boyd and Whaley at will.  Sadly our WRs and TE were non-existent.  Our Play calling changed a lot after we lost Boyd and Whaley because they are top level RBs.  We could not get in a rhythm when we started having trouble running the ball. Storey obviously couldn't throw the ball very well after the first injury because we hardly threw the ball in the 2nd half.   The whole mess hit the ditch when Storey went out.

Hawginj

« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2018, 11:31:36 am »

Exactly!  Play calling with the personnel package on the field cost the game. Boyd and Hayden are totally different backs with different strengths, just like Kelly and Storey as QB. 

Defense being unable to play contain on a running QB cost the game. Defense being unable to adapt on the fly cost the game. Offense being unable to move the ball cost the game. A center who can't reliably snap to shotgun cost the game.

Are the Hogs better? Yes. Is the playcalling better? Absolutely not. Simple experience in Chad's "system" will make them better but game planning and play calling are no different that against CSU.

Les Miles eventually couldn't recruit enough talent to overcome his ability and Chad won't either but hey, let's give him his 5 years anyway.

Morris peter-principled at SMU but Arkansas hired him anyway despite any common football fan knowing better.  But you can't tell these Hogville football experts anything they don't already know.

Chad's a bust. He was when he was hired and he is now. Nothing has changed and nothing will. It's going to be a long 5 years. When JLS wins more games than the current coach, and when Brett wins more games than the current coach, the current coach is a loser.  He's lost WAAAAYYYYY more games than he's won. Counting SMU and Arkansas, Chad can't win half his games and so far, can't win a FBS at Arkansas.
You can thank the Cult of Gus for derailing the coaching search by making him the #1 option and then for settling in on  CM time will tell on Morris he's here and he will rightfully get his shot but unless this cancer is cut from our program the CoG will continue to ruin Razorback football for their own selfish personal agendas.

OkieBack

« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2018, 11:33:30 am »

Chad's a bust. He was when he was hired and he is now. Nothing has changed and nothing will. It's going to be a long 5 years. When JLS wins more games than the current coach, and when Brett wins more games than the current coach, the current coach is a loser.  He's lost WAAAAYYYYY more games than he's won. Counting SMU and Arkansas, Chad can't win half his games and so far, can't win a FBS at Arkansas.

I wouldn't go this far.  Without a cast of players that he and his staff recruited I don't think that's fair to call Chad a complete bust.  I'm not sure why he didn't mix up the 3rd quarter better while we still had our QB and RB's (minus Boyd) but I feel not scoring a TD that opening drive of the 2nd quarter sealed our fate from then on. 

Like it or not Chad's going to get a few years to recruit.  If they are still losing close games like this then the writing will be on the wall.  If he recruits the talent and depth we need (which all indicators say he is recruiting pretty da*n well) then his play calling may improve drastically if he feels confident he can call the full array of his offense.  But DO NOT ever stick 100% with a run or pass philosophy even if you think you can.  Eventually even the worst defenses are going to figure you out.  As for our defense, I hope its a talent issue and not a Chavis issue.

Redhogs

« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2018, 11:36:07 am »

We are going backwards on defense.
Funny..just 3 weeks ago people were wanting to throw the First National Bank at Chavis to make sure he did not get away....

OkieBack

« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2018, 11:36:23 am »

Okay, the team still has lots of problems and weaknesses. However they are not looking like the Keystone cops anymore, just a sub-par team gradually but erratically improving.

My question to all those critics that say that losing the three players that are the clear keys to our offense makes no difference in what the outcome of the game should have been, I pose a question:  Just how many starters on this shaky offense would have to go down before you would believe this had any impact on the game.

Just pick a number between four and eleven. Numbers 1-3 are already spoken for.

Your number please...

We had our starters (minus Boyd) the start of the 2nd half.  The poor conservative play calling was there way before we lost the mass of our starters.  That's not injury related.  That's poor offensive play calling.  I have no issue with our offense looking impotent after we lose the bulk of our play makers.  That's understandable.  What's not understandable is that first drive to open the 2nd half.  That was crappy coaching, plain and simple.

Hogmatic

« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2018, 11:39:41 am »

You can thank the Cult of Gus for derailing the coaching search by making him the #1 option and then for settling in on  CM time will tell on Morris he's here and he will rightfully get his shot but unless this cancer is cut from our program the CoG will continue to ruin Razorback football for their own selfish personal agendas.

The COG is energized now that he is in Trouble at AU.  They are salivating at the thought of another chance to bring Gus home.  They will undermine this staff at every turn and talk CCM down at every opportunity.  If CCM is a success then Gus can't come home to his cult.

OkieBack

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2018, 11:45:40 am »

The COG is energized now that he is in Trouble at AU.  They are salivating at the thought of another chance to bring Gus home.  They will undermine this staff at every turn and talk CCM down at every opportunity.  If CCM is a success then Gus can't come home to his cult.

Forget the Gus talk.  If he wanted to EVER come back he had his shot last year and he snubbed Arkansas.  If the COG is so infatuated with Gus may be they should do like him and all move to the South East. 

Hawginj

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2018, 11:47:36 am »

Yes they are and why they need to be purged from the program before they get another shot.

HawgLife

« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2018, 11:50:48 am »

Are you kidding? Morris has built a winning, powerhouse offense everywhere he's been...oh, wait, that was only at Clemson who still happens to have a great offense despite the tragic loss of Morris as OC...Hiring Morris based on what he did at Clemson is ridiculous seeing as they remain great on offense despite his departure and he couldn't win at his first college head coaching job.

The one hire I've seen that was dumber than Chad Morris was Will Muschamp to South Carolina. If you can't win with Florida's talent, you're not going to win with South Carolina's.

Simple player maturity and experience in a system explains SMUs improvement during Morris' tenure. He's done nothing to prove that anything else was the case.

Actually he took SMUís offense from 88th, to 69th, to the 16th best offense in the nation last year at SMU.

Hogmatic

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2018, 11:56:37 am »

You are still wrong and haven't figured it out.  You might want to study some football and regime change dynamics.   Then come back with a vengeance ;)

Deerhunter

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2018, 12:08:25 pm »

Funny..just 3 weeks ago people were wanting to throw the First National Bank at Chavis to make sure he did not get away....

Same people that thought the buyout for BB was a Guinness idea.  Lol

imtad16

« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2018, 12:10:44 pm »

We were making some good strides the last few weeks.  The 2nd half was a giant step in the wrong direction.

I might feel that way if we had been blown out. But we looked great in the first half and then it was pretty clearly derailed with the 3 offensive injuries. Let's also not forget how good their offense is.

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2018, 12:12:57 pm »

Ty > Cole,  Boyd > Whaley > Hayden
Those guys not finishing the game is on Morris how?
This^^^

TeufelHog

• Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2018, 12:18:18 pm »

Only way it was a step backwards was because of the injuries to 3 of our key players.  Those three stay healthy/in the game, CCM walks away with his first SEC win . . . and it wouldn't have been close.  BOYD over 100 yards rushing in the 1st quarter for heaven's sake.

Deerhunter

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2018, 12:23:10 pm »

Only way it was a step backwards was because of the injuries to 3 of our key players.  Those three stay healthy/in the game, CCM walks away with his first SEC win . . . and it wouldn't have been close.  BOYD over 100 yards rushing in the 1st quarter for heaven's sake.

Do you really think he would have gotten 100 yards a quarter?   Wow

Hogmatic

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2018, 12:24:55 pm »

stolen from MHF, "A little bit more of an amendment to your post.

Let me also point out that Boyd went out with 12:23 remaining in the 2nd quarter. Up to that time we were:

8 of 9 passing (88.8%) for 91 yards and we rushed 13 times for 143 yards. 22 plays for 234 yards (10.6 yards/play).

After the time that Boyd went out here is what we did:

7 of 13 passing (53.8%) for 86 yards and we rushed 34 times for 158 yards. 47 plays for 244 yards (5.2 yards/play).

Losing Boyd made us about half as efficient as we were with him in the game.

Many want to point at Kelley and granted, his INT at the last didn't help us, but he wasn't the reason that we lost. And when the offense began to stall and produce fewer TD's and more FG's, the defense began to give up more points. Ole Miss only had 10 points when Boyd went out. Then they went on a 27-16 scoring spree."

jkstock04

« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2018, 12:28:01 pm »

Sounds like people REALLY expected us to win this game. Why exactly?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2018, 12:31:01 pm »

Sounds like people REALLY expected us to win this game. Why exactly?

I didnít before it although I thought it would be competitive.  Up 27-10 and OM missing FGs, it was disappointing as it played out. 

golf2day

• Hogvillian
  • Giving Eastex a hard-on since 1997
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2018, 12:33:45 pm »

Iím just glad that we have level headed posters like you to keep everyone else from going off the deep end.

swinesation

« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2018, 12:40:01 pm »

We scored EVERY POSSESSION until Storey and Boyd went down, and many of you think we've gone backwards?? I don't understand. I'll admit our red zone offense wasn't very impressive in the second half, probably because we were being a bit too conservative. But honestly, most coaches who have a two score lead in the rain will be conservative. I wish they wouldn't have been, but I get it. It's not like the running game wasn't working - we were gashing them all night long. As a team, we ran for 299 yards with a 6.2 avg yards per carry. Hayden ran 12 times for 30 yards or that avg would have been a lot higher.

Now the defense has obviously gone backwards. But honestly, the defense has struggled all year, except for maybe the A&M game. We can't tackle worth a crap.

jkstock04

« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2018, 12:46:11 pm »

I didnít before it although I thought it would be competitive.  Up 27-10 and OM missing FGs, it was disappointing as it played out. 
It was everything I thought it would be.. high scoring and entertaining. Devoid of defense and coin flip who would win.

twistitup

« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2018, 02:20:42 pm »

We took a step sideways

hog911

• Senior
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2018, 03:49:13 pm »

Itís just like the Colorado State loss! Mark my words we will lose to Tulsa and lose out! 1-11 this what happen when you have Mr Integrity over sports!

golf2day

• Hogvillian
  • Giving Eastex a hard-on since 1997
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2018, 04:03:54 pm »

Itís just like the Colorado State loss! Mark my words we will lose to Tulsa and lose out! 1-11 this what happen when you have Mr Integrity over sports!
So much passion! So many exclamation marks!

roothawg

• Varsity
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2018, 04:16:52 pm »

This team played their a$$ off and with all the starters we saw what can and will be. The HOGS will be very good in a yr or two when we have a little depth. Losing your mobile QB and 2 RB doesn't leave you with many options with this team. Defense needs speed and you cannot coach that you have to recruit speed, the defense is doing all they can to slow people down.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas