• 9,973,086 Posts
• 400,357 Topics
• 22,943 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unfair recruiting advantage? ESPN televising Kentucky's Big Blue Madness.  (Read 1630 times)

FineAsSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville think tank

The rest of the SEC basketball school's should file suit. Seriously though,  it seems that it is Kentucky all the time and pretty much no one else from the SEC.

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

I think it might be their paying for players that gives them the biggest advantage.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

FineAsSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville think tank

I think it might be their paying for players that gives them the biggest advantage.

Which is why ESPN sniffing and fawning over every Wildcat fart is so irritating. Just one more edge that feeds the bad guys dominance. Chris Moore was in attendance and plenty more kids were watching and wishing they were there.

Plus, they had a voice over about how so many kids will never get the opportunity to hear their name called in Rupp Arena. I guess they will have a new slogan. The few, the proud, the Wildcats.

Suck it Kitties and ESPN can eat a fat one.

Hogimus Prime

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Roll Out

Im not sure it really helps.  Calipari has been there 9 seasons and won 1 NCAA Championship.  He has been to the FF 4 times, but with all these built in advantages, the one and done, the perception of him putting kids in NBA he has as many titles at Kentucky as Rick Pitino and Tubby Smith.  All the 5 stars, one and dones and he has as many titles as Tubby Smith. Tubby fin Smith.

MakingPlays

Im not sure it really helps.  Calipari has been there 9 seasons and won 1 NCAA Championship.  He has been to the FF 4 times, but with all these built in advantages, the one and done, the perception of him putting kids in NBA he has as many titles at Kentucky as Rick Pitino and Tubby Smith.  All the 5 stars, one and dones and he has as many titles as Tubby Smith. Tubby fin Smith.

Yea, coach Cal has underachieved with the talent he has had.  I truly believe any half-way decent coach would have better results than him if they were given the same talent year after year.  He has 5-6 future NBA players on his roster every single year.  You give Coach K 2-3 and some decent role players and he wins the title.

Sed76

• Hogvillian

SEC Network also has televised their exhibition games they play in the Bahamas or wherever it is they play. Of course it gives them yet another advantage. Like Alabama football having a hard knocks type show. The rich get richer and the rest of us can do nothing but beg for crumbs.

Pulled(PP)pork

Yea, coach Cal has underachieved with the talent he has had.  I truly believe any half-way decent coach would have better results than him if they were given the same talent year after year.  He has 5-6 future NBA players on his roster every single year.  You give Coach K 2-3 and some decent role players and he wins the title.
bill self

PP

Fan701

• Senior

SEC Network also has televised their exhibition games they play in the Bahamas or wherever it is they play. Of course it gives them yet another advantage. Like Alabama football having a hard knocks type show. The rich get richer and the rest of us can do nothing but beg for crumbs.

True.  The sad fact is that in football and basketball college sports has a hand-full of giants and many, many, many pygmies, who dream of being giants someday, but probably never will be.  The so-called blue-bloods in football like Alabama or in basketball like Kentucky have such built-in advantages now, not least the constant fawning coverage from ESPN, that they begin almost every year ranked at or near the top.  There are barely even crumbs for the rest of us.  The NCAA knows to ride with the money-makers and so nothing will change. The top recruits will continue to go to the same few schools.

MountieDawg

They dont show them to help Kentucky, they show them because they can sell advertising and people want to see.  Fill up Bud Walton for Midnight Madness for 40 years in a row and they will come... Having less than 5,000 hometown fans show up for it and ending up cancelling it due to lack of interest does not make the TV networks want to come watch and televise.  They showed their pro day last week with every NBA team there to watch.  It doesn't get much more boring than that.

HawgnCorona

They dont show them to help Kentucky, they show them because they can sell advertising and people want to see.  Fill up Bud Walton for Midnight Madness for 40 years in a row and they will come... Having less than 5,000 hometown fans show up for it and ending up cancelling it due to lack of interest does not make the TV networks want to come watch and televise.  They showed their pro day last week with every NBA team there to watch.  It doesn't get much more boring than that.

Even cheaters can be seen as marketable...By your logic we should be seeing Duke, NC, Kansas et al., on Espin for Midnight Madness and we dont.

So it can be reasonably argue they have an advantage...ESPN contract is with the SEC not just UK and Bama in football...

MountieDawg

Even cheaters can be seen as marketable...By your logic we should be seeing Duke, NC, Kansas et al., on Espin for Midnight Madness and we dont.

So it can be reasonably argue they have an advantage...ESPN contract is with the SEC not just UK and Bama in football...

ESPN's responsibility to the SEC it to feature SEC programs and pay the SEC teams...  ESPN has contracts with most conferences on the ESPN channel... Do they usually find the best teams for the big time slots for football or do they show Vandy playing Arkansas.  Do the lesser games usually get shown on ESPN+?  If you don't understand tv networks is a rating business and not public television I cannot explain it to you.

Fan701

• Senior

ESPN's responsibility to the SEC it to feature SEC programs and pay the SEC teams...  ESPN has contracts with most conferences on the ESPN channel... Do they usually find the best teams for the big time slots for football or do they show Vandy playing Arkansas.  Do the lesser games usually get shown on ESPN+?  If you don't understand tv networks is a rating business and not public television I cannot explain it to you.
You're right, but the point is the positive feedback generated for teams like Kentucky, which makes it harder for the other teams to compete in recruiting.  You end up with something close to winner takes all.  Kentucky gets the best players each year and the rest of the conference fights over the leftovers.  That's the natural tendency of the system now in place, a few bluebloods who get 80% of the five stars each year and the rest, who rarely ever get a five star. It's good to be king.

HawgnCorona

I didnt ask for an explanation...Nor do I lack an over standing. But go ahead and make my point. If put a $ figure to it, they would probably have the most value. Yes, there other contracts ESPN has with other conferences.

They have a Pac-12 contract but being on the west coast,  I see all SEC games. Not so much with the other conferences. However, I dont miss a Razorback because of it...on ESPN. So much for much the less than half full arena theory.

So the original post stands...which u seem to disregard. The SEC is more than UK...they dont generate all the revenue and I dont see a lot of UK fans out here.

toddfromdesarc

Gotta be one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen on this site.

HawgnCorona

How long have u been around?

toddfromdesarc

How long have u been around?

You can figure that out pretty easily for yourself by clicking my name.

HawgnCorona

You can figure that out pretty easily for yourself by clicking my name.

I did, hence the question...

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids

I believe he meant it in jest like "you ain't seen nothing yet"

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.

ESPN used to televise lots of schools Midnight Madness events. Many schools do not even have them anymore since practices can start sooner than that, and even before that started the mid night madness stuff had already become a non event most places.

LR_Matt

• Varsity

I havent seen them in the trial going on. You have any proof?

Piggyback78

Isn't the fbi telling the ncaa to wait til their finished with the federal trials before they turn over information to the ncaa?

HawgnCorona

Isn't the fbi telling the ncaa to wait til their finished with the federal trials before they turn over information to the ncaa?

HawgnCorona

Yes, I think when it is there time to take a look at the evidence I hope they do part...Duke and Zion's recruitment is process is what has me the most intrigued. If the NCAA do look honestly into this then you for sure know they are a sham, for sho. Some these school were offering the some "gifts" to get him...Even KU. But he goes to Duke and Barrett as well.

Piggyback78

I just wonder how much incriminating evidence the fbi has on the sec schools that keep getting mentioned and if the ncaa is going to keep doing what they have been which is nothing or actually come down and make a point that cheating will not be accepted as a norm in college sports?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas