• 10,018,785 Posts
• 401,565 Topics
• 22,979 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ridges at Village Creek  (Read 827 times)

ParkHillHog

Ridges at Village Creek
« on: October 10, 2018, 11:09:00 am »

Looking to make the drive over in the coming month to Wynne to play the Ridges at Village Creek. Does anyone have any info on the course? I found online that it was designed by Andy Dye. Is it more on the level of a municipal or should I be expecting a better experience? If the latter is true, I feel like the course should be receiving more pub/love.

It looks like its in a state park. Does the state own/operate it? Was it a private development that the state took over? It seems a little progressive for something done by the state parks department.

GolfNut57

Re: Ridges at Village Creek
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 12:06:59 pm »

You will love this course. It is three separate nines, labeled North, East, and West nines. You pick and play any 2 of the 3 nines to make your round 18 holes or you can pay for all three nines and play 27 holes. Expect sharp elevation changes and sharp turns between the holes.  Keep your eyes open and you will likely see some wildlife roaming the course.

The day I played it it was in real good shape but that has been a couple years ago now. One  tip. When you play the East nine watch out on hole #1. Your second shot will have to clear a deep ditch that is hard, if not impossible to see from the fairway. If you don't know it is there and come up 10-15 yards short you can kiss that ball goodbye.

Btw, the course isn't exactly in Wynne. It is actually closer to Forrest City in that regard. The turn off of Highway 1 is actually in Colt, AR I believe,which is only something  like 6-7 miles north of FC.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

kingofdequeen

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 01:37:05 pm »

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 10:16:36 pm »

It's been moved up to #1 for best public courses in Arkansas.
Can't argue with that.
It's not 'immaculate' conditioning, but it's good enough, and it's a great setting. No houses, all nature.
I try to get there at least once a year.

Here's another story. I have to get over to Memphis occasionally and was asking a guy there once what courses he would recommend in the area. He starts naming a few, then says 'Actually, there's a place over near Wynne, Arkansas that you must check out..'

So that should tell you something.

clutch

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 07:56:22 am »

I love that course. I played it in the Spring and it was in fantastic shape at the time. Probably heading back over soon before the winter gets here. Should be a really nice scene when the leaves start changing.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Fresno St. 12-2 Vegas Bowl Champions!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 07:58:42 am »

I miss playing the courses we enjoyed in the past, with you and golfnut.  wish I had the want to again, it was 50/50 fun vs. frustration

PP

clutch

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 08:13:53 am »

I miss playing the courses we enjoyed in the past, with you and golfnut.  wish I had the want to again, it was 50/50 fun vs. frustration

PP

Sage was in as good of shape as I've seen it the last time I was out there. Haven't been to Mirimichi in forever, but I really need to get back over there. Thunder Bayou is also in pretty good shape. They were doing a lot of work to it the last time I was out there. It looked like they were setting it up for some type of event. I know they used to play some web.com stuff out there. I have no idea if that's what it was, but they had orange paint outlines everywhere that they were trying to bring the fairways in tighter on and had painted paths they had labeled as walking paths. Also had areas outlined and labeled for different lengths of rough.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Fresno St. 12-2 Vegas Bowl Champions!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 08:15:48 am »

Sage was in as good of shape as I've seen it the last time I was out there. Haven't been to Mirimichi in forever, but I really need to get back over there. Thunder Bayou is also in pretty good shape. They were doing a lot of work to it the last time I was out there. It looked like they were setting it up for some type of event. I know they used to play some web.com stuff out there. I have no idea if that's what it was, but they had orange paint outlines everywhere that they were trying to bring the fairways in tighter on and had painted paths they had labeled as walking paths. Also had areas outlined and labeled for different lengths of rough.
all of those bring back good and bad memories.  I always hated the wind at Thunder Bayou, loved the layout at Sage and Mirimichi (except the back 9, talk about contrasts).

PP

kingofdequeen

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 08:16:09 am »

back when i was married i played all those NEA courses b/c her fam was in harrisburg and WTH was i gonna do in harrisburg?

Played all these - bayou was cool but it's been years.   Sage always strong.   Mirimichi was okay - played in winter so it wasn't popping.  Villages is great.

Sage probably the best of that group tho. 

clutch

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 08:59:20 am »

back when i was married i played all those NEA courses b/c her fam was in harrisburg and WTH was i gonna do in harrisburg?

Played all these - bayou was cool but it's been years.   Sage always strong.   Mirimichi was okay - played in winter so it wasn't popping.  Villages is great.

Sage probably the best of that group tho. 

Village has come a long way since then. I love Sage, but Village Creek blows it away now. Sage is a lot easier though, so I can shoot better scores there.

GolfNut57

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 10:28:01 am »

Been a while since I have played Sage, haven't been to Jonesboro for a ball game lately, Surprise surprise. Been even longer since I have played Thunder Bayou due to where it is location wise and where I am located. I have never played Mirimichi but it is on my list to be played soon. I might make a weekend of it and play it and the Villages courses both on the same weekend next time I go up that direction.

kingofdequeen

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 10:29:18 am »

Village has come a long way since then. I love Sage, but Village Creek blows it away now. Sage is a lot easier though, so I can shoot better scores there.

i played it about a month and a half ago.   layout is wonderful and pretty but prefer Sage's greens hands down.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 10:51:45 am »

I played Mirimichi in 2012 and really liked it.
I figured it would go down a bit after Timberlake sold it and the course's 'sugar daddy' would be gone, buy my Memphis contact said a millionaire bought it and it's still nice.
I remember the greens being lightning fast, and he said they still are.
There's actually a par-3 course there too that looked fun.

clutch

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 08:27:39 am »

I played Mirimichi in 2012 and really liked it.
I figured it would go down a bit after Timberlake sold it and the course's 'sugar daddy' would be gone, buy my Memphis contact said a millionaire bought it and it's still nice.
I remember the greens being lightning fast, and he said they still are.
There's actually a par-3 course there too that looked fun.

Definitely the fastest greens I've ever played on.

clutch

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 08:32:16 am »

i played it about a month and a half ago.   layout is wonderful and pretty but prefer Sage's greens hands down.

Sage's new greens are nice. I loved the bent greens they had, but they always seemed to lose about 3-4 of them to a fungus every other year. Haven't been to Village since the Spring. I guess I just get a lot better feeling about it since it isn't surrounded by houses. Plus I've played Sage so many times that I get bored with it I guess.

I think my favorite thing about Village is that I've never seen another soul on the course at the same time as me. There's always quite a few cars in the parking lot whenever I play, but I've yet to see a single one of them on the course.

GolfNut57

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 01:30:38 pm »

I think my favorite thing about Village is that I've never seen another soul on the course at the same time as me. There's always quite a few cars in the parking lot whenever I play, but I've yet to see a single one of them on the course.

I don't think they allow Cars to play on the course.  ;) ;D

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 02:08:08 pm »

I don't think they allow Cars to play on the course.  ;) ;D
They do at War Memorial!
Ba-de-bing.

Wow, I was at the game Saturday. The damage may not equal 2000 LSU game, but it's close. It's a muddy mess right now.
I literally saw trucks spinning wheels in the fairway trying to climb an incline. They weren't trying to do it, just had to in order to make the incline.
It's a disaster.

I remember reading back then the damages were in five figures. I guess what they do is try to smooth and fill in ruts. Not sure what they do.
I didn't see any greens damaged. They're roped off, yea, but still you never know.

GolfNut57

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 03:03:34 pm »

They do at War Memorial!
Ba-de-bing.

Wow, I was at the game Saturday. The damage may not equal 2000 LSU game, but it's close. It's a muddy mess right now.
I literally saw trucks spinning wheels in the fairway trying to climb an incline. They weren't trying to do it, just had to in order to make the incline.
It's a disaster.

I remember reading back then the damages were in five figures. I guess what they do is try to smooth and fill in ruts. Not sure what they do.
I didn't see any greens damaged. They're roped off, yea, but still you never know.

That is the exact reason I refuse to play that golf course. I am not gonna play in a parking lot. No matter how good it looks after the fact or between games up there.

You would think that with the rain they would have cancelled being able to park on that course for the reason you stated above.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 09:26:33 pm »

That is the exact reason I refuse to play that golf course. I am not gonna play in a parking lot. No matter how good it looks after the fact or between games up there.

You would think that with the rain they would have cancelled being able to park on that course for the reason you stated above.
Are you kidding?
The football game parking always comes first to the city, and honestly I don't have a problem with it.
The city wants the football games, and those people need places to park and tailgate.
It's really pretty neat all the tailgating spread all over the golf course.
I love golf, and I play War Memorial 10-15 times a year, but I don't have a problem with it.
It's just bad luck, and inevitable, that about once every 10 years there will be a game that coincides with a heavy rain.

On dry games, it's kinda funny to be out there playing golf and seeing all kinds of little things that the trash picker-uppers leave behind(because they simply can't get everything). Batteries...chicken bones...little burnt spots on the grass from grills...you name it.

mhuff

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2018, 11:43:11 am »

It is a bargain especially for seniors,   Like $32. There are five tees so pick your poison. Fairways and traps manicured daily.

GolfNut57

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 01:36:03 pm »

It is a bargain especially for seniors,   Like $32. There are five tees so pick your poison. Fairways and traps manicured daily.

Are you referring to War Memorial course or the Ridges? For the War Memorial course $32 seems kind of high for regular golfers, let alone the seniors.

mhuff

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2018, 04:57:09 pm »

The Ridges. Havenít played WM in 35 years

GolfNut57

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 08:48:15 pm »

The Ridges. Havenít played WM in 35 years

Oh......ok then. $32 sounds good for Srs. At what age do they consider a person a Sr?

golf2day

• Hogvillian
  • Giving Eastex a hard-on since 1997
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 05:23:24 pm »

Oh......ok then. $32 sounds good for Srs. At what age do they consider a person a Sr?
Pretty sure itís either over 65 or after your second heart surgery, so you should be good.

I kid, I kid. Glad youíre still with us

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 06:13:07 pm »

I played WM once about 30 years ago. Never had any desire to do so again.

GolfNut57

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 06:21:34 pm »

Pretty sure itís either over 65 or after your second heart surgery, so you should be good.

I kid, I kid. Glad youíre still with us

;) some places consider anyone over 55, others 60 and them some 65. that is why I asked.

GolfNut57

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 06:22:29 pm »

I played WM once about 30 years ago. Never had any desire to do so again.

That's me.

Roctavious

• Senior
  • One track mind of the derailed kind . . . .
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 01:25:59 pm »

Been a while since I have played Sage, haven't been to Jonesboro for a ball game lately, Surprise surprise. Been even longer since I have played Thunder Bayou due to where it is location wise and where I am located. I have never played Mirimichi but it is on my list to be played soon. I might make a weekend of it and play it and the Villages courses both on the same weekend next time I go up that direction.

You need to come to a game so we can all play again. I love Sage but it's been played so much that it's easy to take for granted.

GolfNut57

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 02:14:59 pm »

Lately the Red Wolves..........like the Hogs.........haven't been worth traveling much to see these days. I might come up for their last home game but it really depends on the weather and all since I am still in the recovery stage of my open heart surgery. I am almost back to normal but I am still not at the point where I can risk a chest cold yet. But.......we will see.........
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas