• 10,011,650 Posts
• 401,340 Topics
• 22,970 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hurricane Michael & the FLorida Panhandle  (Read 922 times)

HawgWild

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Left lane, Hey!? Where’s my hammer?
Hurricane Michael & the FLorida Panhandle
« on: October 09, 2018, 01:30:46 pm »

Looking to get pretty bad down there. Got a beach front home rented on St. George Island, a barrier island for Apalachicola, beginning October 26th. They're currently predicting 9 - 12 foot storm surge and the island's highest elevation is 9 feet. Might not be a home there come Thursday. My thoughts are with everyone along that coastline.

Some of you have homes in this area as well, ricepig for one. What are y'all hearing?

Boarcephus

• Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
Re: Hurricane Michael & the FLorida Panhandle
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 01:53:49 pm »

We've got friends who rented a condo for the month of October at Hidden Dunes in Destin and they were told they had to be out by 7 am this morning.  Mandatory Evacuation.  Same thing at Sandestin properties but they have  until 11 am to be out. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

razorshark

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 03:35:26 pm »

We've got friends who rented a condo for the month of October at Hidden Dunes in Destin and they were told they had to be out by 7 am this morning.  Mandatory Evacuation.  Same thing at Sandestin properties but they have  until 11 am to be out. 
our friends had to leave this morning after flying in for the week, but they are driving back.  In Mississippi now. Mandatory evacuation, not sure but guess they couldn't fly out.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Fresno St. 11-2 MWC Champions!!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 09:01:58 pm »

Damn that Trump!!  Just kidding, hoping everyone stays safe, including their property

PP

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 10:02:44 am »

Hope mrs panhandlepig makes it through safely.  thoughts and prayers for you mrs pan. 

panhandlepig

• don't worry about a thing
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 07:26:13 pm »

Hope mrs panhandlepig makes it through safely.  thoughts and prayers for you mrs pan.

Thanks Pharm. We were well to the west of it over here. We got lucky. FWB and Destin area are all good from what I can tell. 

hawgbawb

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tusk 'em Hogs.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 08:12:20 pm »

Thanks Pharm. We were well to the west of it over here. We got lucky. FWB and Destin area are all good from what I can tell. 
Good to hear, Pan

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 09:11:32 am »

Have a cousin that lives in Navarre. They are fine there. I wouldn’t go anywhere from Destin east though.

porkinsons disease

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 11:24:41 pm »

PCB had some damage on the east end,but Pier Park and all points west came out pretty good.

Panama. City was mostly destroyed. We finally evacuated early Wednesday when Michael kept getting stronger and was not hooking to the east. We were told if we stayed, we needed to write our name ,ss#, and next of kin on our arms in Sharpie. That was the slap in the face we needed.
Both hospitals had major damage. My neighbors house was destroyed, but the aerials on mine looked much better (fingers crossed). We have not been able to return yet. Curfew is 8pm-7am. Info is limited as cell towers were down. It will take years for PC to recover.

Mexico beach is a parking lot as well as Tyndall AFB. 2 fatalities so far, but I am sure there are many more. Prayers needed. They are now saying it probably came in as a cat 5.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Fresno St. 11-2 MWC Champions!!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 01:29:17 am »

its always a good thing to have FWB in destin

PP

jbcarol

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 08:22:02 am »

Dillar Dog

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 08:43:43 am »

its always a good thing to have FWB in destin

PP

David V lost everything.  Not sure if you heard.

HawgWild

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 04:39:24 pm »

My rental agent emailed me yesterday to cancel my upcoming reservation on SGI. The home suffered minimal damage but the boardwalk was completely washed away and there was some damage to the wood panels underneath the house and a bunch of sand. They said that the contractor was backed up into December dealing with higher priority repairs.

I was given a complete refund and that was a relief since I hadn't bought trip insurance. Whew!

I'll try again next year.

Also, saw where the Oyster harvest was going to be severely impacted. Apalachicola Bay produces 90% of Florida's Oysters. Not sure if Florida's oldest seafood festival has been called off or not. It was scheduled for 11/3-4. I was going to give Boar a report.

Boarcephus

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 07:33:04 pm »

My rental agent emailed me yesterday to cancel my upcoming reservation on SGI. The home suffered minimal damage but the boardwalk was completely washed away and there was some damage to the wood panels underneath the house and a bunch of sand. They said that the contractor was backed up into December dealing with higher priority repairs.

I was given a complete refund and that was a relief since I hadn't bought trip insurance. Whew!

I'll try again next year.

Also, saw where the Oyster harvest was going to be severely impacted. Apalachicola Bay produces 90% of Florida's Oysters. Not sure if Florida's oldest seafood festival has been called off or not. It was scheduled for 11/3-4. I was going to give Boar a report.

That's a great deal to get your money back. 

I know they keep close tabs on the oysters.  We were there either last year or year before and they shut it down because of too much rain.  I can only imagine what the storm surge did to them.  I'm sure they'll come back but have no idea how long it would take. 

HawgWild

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 05:14:24 pm »

Got a notice today that they're going ahead with this year's Seafood Festival, November 3 & 4. Good luck. I'll try again next year.

HawgWild

Boarcephus

HighcountryHog

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 06:25:34 pm »

Sister and her husband went down to our family place in Rosemary last week and said there was zero damage.  Some businesses weren't open or were shutting down early because most the workers come from PCB and they still have a curfew in effect.  Also said the red tide is still prevalent.

Boarcephus

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 11:18:10 am »

Also said the red tide is still prevalent.

Interesting.  I'd heard that all they needed to curb that was one good storm and Michael was a good one.  Guess they were wrong. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas