• 10,011,648 Posts
• 401,340 Topics
• 22,970 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro Team  (Read 2600 times)

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
Pro Team
« on: October 07, 2018, 07:55:18 pm »

Just curious who everyone roots for in the pros. I am a huge Dodgers fan. Spent the majority of my adult life living in Southern California and didnít really start following baseball until I lived there. I have started watching and rooting for the Red Sox since Benintendi started playing for them. The team I hate most is the Yankees.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
Re: Pro Team
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 08:06:01 pm »

If you want to move this to the MLB forum, go for it. Figured it would get more attention here.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ucahogfan

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 08:50:29 pm »

I'm a Braves fan.  Grew up watching them almost every night on TBS in the 90s.  It has been a rough last couple of years, but the rebuild is over and we are back.  With all of the young players we have, it could be a fun decade upcoming for the Braves.  Just have to hope ownership is willing to open the pocket book.

thebignasty

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 09:07:40 pm »

Cardinals

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 09:21:34 pm »

I'm a Braves fan.  Grew up watching them almost every night on TBS in the 90s.  It has been a rough last couple of years, but the rebuild is over and we are back.  With all of the young players we have, it could be a fun decade upcoming for the Braves.  Just have to hope ownership is willing to open the pocket book.

Your team is very young, they will be scary in a couple of year. You guys are trying to make my blood pressure go up tonight.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 09:26:51 pm »

Iíve always disliked the Braves, mostly because of Chipper Jones and the damn Florida State chant.

bulldog04

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 09:30:48 pm »

Same here. The 6:35 or 6:05 start times unless it was on the West Coast it was 9:05

Scott7703

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 09:47:23 pm »

Cards fan here. Been a miserable few years.

ucahogfan

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 10:24:40 pm »

Your team is very young, they will be scary in a couple of year. You guys are trying to make my blood pressure go up tonight.
This Braves team is already scary.  Won 90 games this year which is right around where the other elite NL teams won.  We also still have a top 2-3 farm system with great development and have more than enough big time arms.  Folty and Newcomb are only the beginning of top tier pitchers out of our farm system.  Also have Austin Riley about ready to take over at 3B to make Camargo a super utility type guy.

Would love to see us pony up some money for Harper this offseason, but I figure we will save our money for our young guys in a few years when they hit free agency.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 09:03:07 am »

I have lived in North Georgia, in the heart of Braves country for 20 years. We moved here right in the middle of their consecutive pennants. At that time, I didn't really like the Braves, and was tired of hearing about them. Kind of dynasty fatigue, like a lot of people feel about the Patriots, Warriors, and Bama.

Over the last few years, with the Braves being not so good, I found myself rooting for them more and more as underdogs. With this year's team I am fully on the bandwagon.

That being said, I, for some really unexplicable reason, I have been a Red Sox fan since I was a kid. I loved the mystique of Fenway and the Green Monster. And the fact that, at that time, only 4 men had regularly manned LF at Fenway for 57 years: Williams-Yaz-Rice-Greenwell. So Benny being in LF is icing on the cake.

Go Braves!, Go Red Sox!

BigD94

• Varsity
  • Also outkicked my coverage. WPS!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 09:25:10 am »

Seattle Mariners here. Grew up a huge Jr fan and have been ever since. I'm a glutton for punishment I guess.

Knot2brite

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 09:51:36 am »

The Pirates.....yeah...I know

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 01:16:53 pm »

Watched tons of mlb as a kid with no real favorite.  I more watched certain players no matter the team.  I came back to watching baseball when Cliff Lee joined the rangers.  That was a fun team   

Now i check up on former Hogs with no real favorite team.   Closest team to me is the cardinals and many friends try to get me excited about them.  Hasnt kicked in yet

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2018, 01:22:57 pm »

I watched a bunch of TBS Braves games in the 90s as a kid too.  Loved Maddux, Schmoltz, Glavine and Chipper.  Those were fun teams.

HogsBalls

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2018, 02:47:33 pm »

I do something maybe different than others just because I love baseball. I pick a team from each division and root for them. I do have favorites in each league with an overall favorite that I follow a little closer than the others...here's mine...

AL EAST- Yankees (I know, I know...my favorite player of all time is Mickey Mantle. Just love the Yankee history)
AL CENTRAL- If I have to I'd pick the Royals
AL WEST- A's (watched Big Mac hit a homer at Kaufman stadium when I was a kid...started following them ever since) Like the Astros too, fun to watch

NL EAST- Braves (I too grew up watching them on TBS, Chipper Jones is my 2nd favorite player ever)
NL CENTRAL- Cardinals (Favorite team, Dad grew up watching them)
NL WEST- Rockies

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Home is where ya hang your hat, nice colors though
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 03:47:50 pm »

I do something maybe different than others just because I love baseball. I pick a team from each division and root for them. I do have favorites in each league with an overall favorite that I follow a little closer than the others...here's mine...

AL EAST- Yankees (I know, I know...my favorite player of all time is Mickey Mantle. Just love the Yankee history)
AL WEST- A's (watched Big Mac hit a homer at Kaufman stadium when I was a kid...started following them ever since) Like the Astros too, fun to watch

NL EAST- Braves (I too grew up watching them on TBS, Chipper Jones is my 2nd favorite player ever)
NL WEST- Rockies
Hotlanta Braves....was in my twenties when the run of NL East titles began and watching Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine was as good as it gets. Now in  my late teens and early twenties I watched them when they were sooooo bad, Rich Mahler, Rick Camp, Bruce Benedict (the catcher who refs college basketball games who always hated us and especially Nolan)...can't remember any others without looking them up and it's not worth the time for that piece if ish team

Gerald Gilber

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 04:30:07 pm »

Life long Yankee fan, Mickey Mantle was my hero as a kid

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 05:05:52 pm »

With the new stadium, you would have to think they would want to keep these guys together and keep the stands full... But these owners sometime don't do the common sense things. 

If you remove hogs from teams for reason I pull for them, I am probably a Houston fan right now just because I like Altuve.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 05:35:58 pm »

NL WEST- Rockies

I have found my arch nemesis.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 05:37:40 pm »

Curious, what made you a Pirates fan?

Knot2brite

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 05:51:35 pm »

Curious, what made you a Pirates fan?
I was 10 years old in 1979 and the Pirates won the World Series . I was already a Steeler fan and I loved the black and gold. Wilbur Stargell, Dave Parker and Omar Moreno just captivated my mind and they won in dramatic fashion and I have loved them every since. Jimmy Leyland brought the team to the edge of greatness only to have Bonds wipe it away and then they went on the 0ífer 20 plus winless streak .....then the couple of playoff years brought me back. I canít stand the owner we have and the front office we have but Pittsburgh is a beautiful city and I would move there tomorrow.

hoglady

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 07:22:16 pm »

Red Sox
distant 2nd - Astros
then whoever is playing the Yankees.

hoglady

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 07:25:24 pm »

I watched a bunch of TBS Braves games in the 90s as a kid too.  Loved Maddux, Schmoltz, Glavine and Chipper.  Those were fun teams.

I loved those Braves teams.
I had a cable line installed in the kitchen so I could watch the Braves while cooking supper and cleaning the kitchen.

ucahogfan

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 07:40:21 pm »

With the new stadium, you would have to think they would want to keep these guys together and keep the stands full... But these owners sometime don't do the common sense things. 

If you remove hogs from teams for reason I pull for them, I am probably a Houston fan right now just because I like Altuve.
Liberty Media hasn't really been known to be big spenders although they did make long term commitments to several players earlier in the decade before the rebuild.  What is holding the Braves back is their TV contract which is truly terrible for the Braves.  They basically control the Southeast in terms of fan support, but the TV deal is roughly $35MM annually through 2027.  That is really going to hold the Braves back when they should probably be a $70-75MM team annually in local TV revenue.

4Lions04

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2018, 10:02:17 am »

I'm a Cubs fan because of afternoon baseball on WGN. When I was little my grandma wouldn't make me take a nap if the Cubs were playing that afternoon. I've never wavered from following them.

I also watched a lot of Braves growing up because of TBS. Those were the good days, watch the Cubs in the afternoon and then switch over to watch a great Braves team in the evening.

Tai_Mai_Shu

• Senior
  • Gina Carano - these hands aren't made for texting
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 11:18:01 am »

Cubs fan here. I was in the second grade I had a couple of classmates who would talk about the Cubs so I started tuning into WGN. I remember Shawn Dunston, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Andre Dawson, Greg Maddux during those years.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 04:44:25 pm »

I follow the Cardinals because I was raised on them - though I've become more detached from them lately ...
The wife makes me watch the Tigers so she can satisfy her crush on McCann ...
I watch pro teams who have Hogs on their rosters ... Marlins, Astros, Rockies, etc ... I've developed a like for the Red Sox ... they play ball a lot like the Hogs do ...

Friends never let friends cheer for the Yankees ...

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 05:36:02 pm »

Dodgers  I watched Koufax and Drysdale on TV. My Mother was a Dodger fan I was too.

Cards are my least favorite, but only because growing up in northern Arkansas, that's all I heard about. Got sick of it. Much like my dislike for the Cowboys.

HogsOfAnarchy

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2018, 09:14:06 am »

My 7 month old daughter, my wife and myself rep our Boston Red Sox year every game. Been a Sox fan for a long time now and when they drafted Benny it just made it that much sweeter for me. Hated to see Jalen Beeks get traded to Tampa. I felt like he could end up being a solid back of the rotation starter or a long reliever. But wish him the best.
I must say that I think Benny will end up being the best Razorback to play in the bigs before his career is over.

HogsOfAnarchy

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2018, 09:15:17 am »

Red Sox
distant 2nd - Astros
then whoever is playing the Yankees.
I mostly agree with you on this. Lol
But my distant 2nd would have to be the braves. Chipper jones was my hero growing up.

hoglady

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2018, 09:48:58 am »

I mostly agree with you on this. Lol
But my distant 2nd would have to be the braves. Chipper jones was my hero growing up.

I liked those Braves teams alot because I could watch them on TV.

Yaz was my hero growing up - so AB playing left field just makes it that much better.

Bassrox

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2018, 10:51:11 am »

I'm a Cubs fan! Started watching afternoon baseball after school in 1983, when WGN came onto our cable mix. Then they were great in 1984, and the hook was set for life.

Fatmanhog

• Take this Wisconsin.
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2018, 07:56:42 am »

Braves fan here. I too grew up watching tbs. Dale Murphy is my favorite player of all time. I watched those braves teams with Murphy, Bob Horner, Chris Chambliss and of course Benedict. Ahhhhh the memories.

DEVIL DOG HOG

• Grandpa's hayride
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2018, 10:16:56 am »

White Sox and Pirates.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2018, 03:28:21 pm »

I am becoming a brewers fan, because of the woman sitting just to the left of home plate

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2018, 02:46:37 pm »

I am becoming a brewers fan, because of the woman sitting just to the left of home plate

She is hard not to notice lol.

Wisco Pig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2018, 03:29:44 pm »

That would be Front Row Amy.   She's a minor celebrity up there.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/archives/2018/10/05/front-row-amy-brewers-miller-park/1533170002/

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2018, 05:27:24 pm »

Shes alot better than some jerk sitting behind the plate whistling

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2018, 06:08:37 pm »

That would be Front Row Amy.   She's a minor celebrity up there.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/archives/2018/10/05/front-row-amy-brewers-miller-park/1533170002/

I honestly think the score card is what makes her so attractive, well that and a couple other ďfeatures.Ē

twistitup

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2018, 06:11:33 pm »

Rangers

TomasPistola

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Giant Bobby Portis is tired of your crap.
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2018, 08:02:49 pm »

Cards. Ozzie Smith and I have the same birthday (not same year). Been a fan since I was a kid. I hate the Cobb County Braves even though I live in Atlanta and The Cubs can DIAF. I'm glad Matheny got fired too.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2018, 08:33:11 pm »

Looks like the Dodgers are trying to lose again tonight.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2018, 08:41:54 pm »

Itís so frustrating watching everyone on the team try and go yard every at bat. Now they are beating themselves with defensive miscues.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2018, 10:07:23 pm »

Nice being the brewers and getting the strike called off the plate. 

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2018, 10:06:28 am »

Grew up an Orioles fan, but Iíve always been more of a player fan except when it comes to the Yankees. Brooks Robinson and Lou Brock were my childhood favorites. Loved watching Bob Gibson pitch and Rod Carew hit. I think Dale Murphy belongs in the HOF. Been a Rangers fan for the last decade and think Nolan Ryan should be president of Texas.

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2018, 11:21:48 am »

Mets!

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2018, 01:15:05 pm »

I guess I need to stop complaining. This has been about the best possible year for all of my baseball teams. The Razorbacks finished as runner ups and my two pro teams are in the World Series. Love Benintendi but the Dodgers are my number 1 so Iíll have to root against him and the Sox.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gameday Goon
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2018, 04:02:45 pm »

Braves fan here. I too grew up watching tbs. Dale Murphy is my favorite player of all time. I watched those braves teams with Murphy, Bob Horner, Chris Chambliss and of course Benedict. Ahhhhh the memories.

Me too.  Love Dale Murphy!

greenEGnHAWGS

• Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2018, 05:57:11 pm »

I have lived in North Georgia, in the heart of Braves country for 20 years. We moved here right in the middle of their consecutive pennants. At that time, I didn't really like the Braves, and was tired of hearing about them. Kind of dynasty fatigue, like a lot of people feel about the Patriots, Warriors, and Bama.

Over the last few years, with the Braves being not so good, I found myself rooting for them more and more as underdogs. With this year's team I am fully on the bandwagon.

That being said, I, for some really unexplicable reason, I have been a Red Sox fan since I was a kid. I loved the mystique of Fenway and the Green Monster. And the fact that, at that time, only 4 men had regularly manned LF at Fenway for 57 years: Williams-Yaz-Rice-Greenwell. So Benny being in LF is icing on the cake.

Go Braves!, Go Red Sox!

Itís funny cuz Iím a big Red Sox fan, but my love for them was derived from a disdain that I had for Yankees fans. I only knew a handful of them growing up but they were the most annoying fans ever. So the year Boston cane back from that 0-3 series deficit, I became a life long Red Sox fanatic. Benny going there only helps my fandom.

Full disclosure though...my inlaws are super annoying Boston fans who just donít understand what itís like being a Razorback or Minnesota Vikings (my moms team I inherited) fan. The Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox, and Bruins have spoiled them and made them intolerable at times. So the love has waned slightly, but I still pull for them. 

Birminghog

• Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2018, 09:33:15 pm »

My wife and I are Cardinals fans, first, last, and always. I grew up in South AR listening to Redbird games via KMOX on clear channel at night, with my dad on his Channel Master transistor radio. My wife's grandparents would listen to KMOX on their front porch in North AR.

I have a lot of respect for the Pirates. They seem to do things the right way in a smaller media market with a smaller payroll. Clemente would be enough reason to root for them if nothing else. I have two very good friends who are from Pittsburgh and are Pirates fans. We keep wanting to make a road trip to Pitt for a Cardinals/Pirates game and eat at Primanti Bros.

I root for the Pirates when they aren't playing the Cardinals. I'm okay with Milwaukee, too. The Reds, much less so. The Northsiders? Please.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas