• 10,019,184 Posts
• 401,572 Topics
• 22,978 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hanga Roa, Rapa Nui  (Read 428 times)

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
Hanga Roa, Rapa Nui
« on: October 06, 2018, 07:27:33 pm »

Just out of curiosity, any Hogvillians made the trek over to Hanga Roa, Rapa Nui aka Easter Island? Booked a trip there for the last week of November for 3 days of biking/hiking around the island. Quite a fortunate trip that I will be beyond stoked for and will do plenty of reading up on prior to as well as refreshing my Spanish. Thought Iíd check here to see if anyone has been.....

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
Re: Hanga Roa, Rapa Nui
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 02:26:40 pm »

Just out of curiosity, any Hogvillians made the trek over to Hanga Roa, Rapa Nui aka Easter Island? Booked a trip there for the last week of November for 3 days of biking/hiking around the island. Quite a fortunate trip that I will be beyond stoked for and will do plenty of reading up on prior to as well as refreshing my Spanish. Thought Iíd check here to see if anyone has been.....

Never been to Hanga Roa, but been to Rarotonga.  Never been to Rapa Nui, but been to Aitutaki.  Do those count?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

go hogues

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You're at an eight but we need you at a two.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 11:36:59 am »

How was the trip? Itís on my bucket list for sure.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 08:16:19 pm »

How was the trip? Itís on my bucket list for sure.

Was as surreal a place as Iíve ever been. Spent a good day or so repeatedly thinking, ďI canít believe Iím standing here.Ē Best trip Iíve ever taken and if you go after a holiday and then play around with your travel days of the week, you can find some nice prices. Will put a few pics up as soon as I can.

You can also cover the island in 3 or 4 days so you donít have to break the bank staying a week or more. Most of the pricing I saw initially was $4k+ per person but the week after Thanksgiving, leaving Tuesday returning Saturday was half that.

I stayed at the Taha Tai. Good cabana room, decent wifi, free airport shuttle, continental breakfast included, <5 minute walk to other restaurants, etc. The locals have literally black flagged the Eco lodge due to not being so eco in their practices so you might stear clear of there. Obviously no chains on the islands but plenty of options.

Car rentals are 24 hour based, no insurance. You break it, you buy it. I used Oceanic. Nice folks and they do realize every car here has dings. I only rented a car for 1 day and the other two full days were hiking days. Driving around is a breeze but do keep an eye out for the wild horses on the east and northern side of the island and potholes elsewhere.

You can buy your necessary national park ticket (good for 5 days) at the airport when you arrive. There is another place in town that sells them but save yourself one more to do and just get in line at the airport upon arriving. Mahina beer is the local choice ($6 per bottle) and itís worth a trip over to the brewery, which is the most remote brewery on the planet.

Couple other tips. Get snacks and sunscreen at Santiago airport cause grocery stores in Hanga Roa are likely out of stock or pricey obviously. The post office in Hanga Roa is the only place where you can get a Rapa Nui passport stamp so remember to stop by there when they are open.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 11:07:55 am »

ricepig

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 11:21:06 am »

I see HRV, Johnny Bobo, Ward, and Rudy. Are those grave markers?

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2018, 03:36:51 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas