• 9,972,928 Posts
• 400,354 Topics
• 22,942 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Kelly Bryant Threads**Merged**  (Read 75616 times)

checkraiser88

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 03:38:01 pm by 007 License To Squeal »

sickboy

Re: Kelly Bryant Threads**Merged**
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 11:02:14 pm »

Think it made it into the stickied thread at the top, but yeah... he's free diving now and the sharks are in the water.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Tarheelhawg

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 11:05:55 pm »

It is pure speculation at this point. However, there is mounting evidence that Arkansas commands serious consideration by Kelly Bryant for his next destination.   Go Hogs!

Pigs in Zen

• Hogvillian
  • Welcome to the Alma Sonic... Can I help ye? 😂
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 01:36:57 am »

Not sure if this one was posted

https://twitter.com/rivalswoody/status/1047275784656904192?s=21

Wow... There was serious stupidity in that thread about KJ. Do people not get that he will be a raw talent not likely ready for the SEC West as as a true freshmen and could thrive under the mentorship of Bryant- IF -he were to come to Arkansas? Is it that hard to figure out?

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 07:03:37 am »

Wow... There was serious stupidity in that thread about KJ. Do people not get that he will be a raw talent not likely ready for the SEC West as as a true freshmen and could thrive under the mentorship of Bryant- IF -he were to come to Arkansas? Is it that hard to figure out?
We do it again and again. The savior QB is always the HS commit. We’ve done it with Peavey, Storey, Noland, etc.

rhames

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 07:30:27 am »

It is pure speculation at this point. However, there is mounting evidence that Arkansas commands serious consideration by Kelly Bryant for his next destination.   Go Hogs!

Ummm...what evidence exactly?

The Kig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 07:44:57 am »

Ummm...what evidence exactly?

Rumor mill run rampant...random fan on the Twitter makes some obscure tie to Morris and viola'... lock.

Wish the kid would come here, just can't imagine why he would. 

secneahog

• #Uncommon Armon Watts!!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 08:11:29 am »

Would be amazing to pick up KB.

jst01

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 08:21:04 am »

Get real people. You have one year left to play to show off your skills to the NFL. Do you go to a team in the toughest conference that won 3 games the prior year, that is completely rebuilding the O-line and playing loads of young players at WR? Of course not. 

IronMountainHog

• Hogvillian
  • “It ain’t Arkan, it’s Arkansas baby!!” -DMAC 2007
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 08:26:55 am »

Get real people. You have one year left to play to show off your skills to the NFL. Do you go to a team in the toughest conference that won 3 games the prior year, that is completely rebuilding the O-line and playing loads of young players at WR? Of course not. 
This kid won’t be going to the NFL, so that’s not a problem. Geez, he lost his job to a frickin FRESHMAN. He also showed his leadership skills by quitting mid season. That being said, I hope we get him lol.

Redhogs

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 08:27:31 am »

That's the way I was thinking...maybe we are wrong though...

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 08:35:49 am »

I'm not sure there's NFL talent in Mr. Bryant.  Maybe he'd like to finish up his football playing days with a coach he's familiar and comfortable with and just enjoy his final year? 

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 08:42:39 am »

That guy is an idiot. He is going to die on that hill lol

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 08:50:01 am »

"pure speculation"./... that is incorrect.

Boarcephus

• Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 08:56:08 am »

This kid won’t be going to the NFL, so that’s not a problem. Geez, he lost his job to a frickin FRESHMAN. He also showed his leadership skills by quitting mid season. That being said, I hope we get him lol.

His quitting mid season is what makes me question if we really need him.  If he's not "The Man" will he have a negative impact in the locker room?  He may have been beaten out by a freshman but the freshman was the number 1 ranked freshman in the country.

Hogmatic

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 09:08:11 am »

Trey Knox and KJ have been talking, so I assume that KJ is on board with Trey Knox talking to Bryant.  KJ knows it is just one year and that he could learn from Bryant.  On a selfish note, I would like to RS while Bryant deals with the Oline and new WR's.

rhames

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 09:26:15 am »

"pure speculation"./... that is incorrect.

Go on.....

What more is there than speculation and message board fodder?

a0ashle

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 09:43:22 am »

I’d take him, not even a flinch. loyalty in NCAA is a joke. Fans want it from the players, but will throw you out for the next stud recruit. Come on down KB.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 09:47:57 am »

For long term success this would be an ideal situation, and I think most freshman QB's wouldn't mind it all and would actually value the experience of working with a 5th year championship level QB like KB.

You soak up that year, adjust to college, learn all you can.  Don't even have to waste a year of eligibility and by the time you are a RS freshman you are set to be the starter for 4 years if you don't go early.

People that think it would hurt our chances with KJ are nuts.

LRRandy

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 09:49:55 am »

I'm not sure there's NFL talent in Mr. Bryant.  Maybe he'd like to finish up his football playing days with a coach he's familiar and comfortable with and just enjoy his final year?
you mean like Dabo Swinney?

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 09:52:20 am »

For long term success this would be an ideal situation, and I think most freshman QB's wouldn't mind it all and would actually value the experience of working with a 5th year championship level QB like KB.

You soak up that year, adjust to college, learn all you can.  Don't even have to waste a year of eligibility and by the time you are a RS freshman you are set to be the starter for 4 years if you don't go early.

People that think it would hurt our chances with KJ are nuts.

but but but..."he's coming here to compete for the starting job!"

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 09:53:47 am »

His quitting mid season is what makes me question if we really need him.  If he's not "The Man" will he have a negative impact in the locker room?  He may have been beaten out by a freshman but the freshman was the number 1 ranked freshman in the country.

Easy for us to say he quit. To me, it looks like he waited his turn and was never given his turn, so he left. Nothing wrong with that.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 10:06:17 am »

While I agree with the if he quit is he cancer to a lockerromm idea, but with the new rules I actually see what he's doing, why he is doing it, and understand it.

He realized he wouldn't be the guy at Clemson.  He didn't want to waste his last year of eligibility to play the sport he loves on the bench.  I actually understand that when you are given the eligibility rules and hard cap by the NCAA.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 10:14:53 am »

Easy for us to say he quit. To me, it looks like he waited his turn and was never given his turn, so he left. Nothing wrong with that.
He got his turn... he just isnt the guy that can beat Alabama... not sure the freshman has any chance either..

sickboy

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 10:36:26 am »

It's between us and Auburn. That's what I hear. Don't know how it'll shake out, but whatever Jared Stidham does at the end of this season will probably play a part. Supposedly he's on the fence if he's going to head to the NFL draft after this year.

rhames

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 11:14:08 am »

It's between us and Auburn. That's what I hear. Don't know how it'll shake out, but whatever Jared Stidham does at the end of this season will probably play a part. Supposedly he's on the fence if he's going to head to the NFL draft after this year.

You're a pretty level headed poster around here.  Where are you hearing this?

imtad16

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 11:17:59 am »

I think Kelly Bryant would be a good fit for the Auburn offense and perhaps better than Jarrett Stidham, but it's very risky to go to Auburn and compete with a multiple year starter that knows the offense very well.

imtad16

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 11:24:22 am »

If I only have 1 season of eligibility I go to a school like Arkansas, UCLA, UNC, Colorado, FSU or NC State. Programs that have a huge QB need that run Tempo spreads and I could take to a bowl. Not programs that I would have to battle entrenched starters.

sickboy

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 11:26:48 am »

You're a pretty level headed poster around here.  Where are you hearing this?

Obviously, take everything as idle chatter, especially when it comes to these kids making decisions, but I hear Auburn/Arkansas on the Hog side from a few different sites with posters that are usually in the know. On the Auburn side, my buddy was a QB at Auburn and he's a donor now. He also hears Auburn/Arkansas from his friends.

So, I'm taking both sides hearing similar things as a good sign that it's not too far off base. Could totally be wrong, but that's just the chatter that's on both sides. Tends to be that when you see smoke from two different fan bases... there's at least a bit of fire. Who knows. 

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 11:31:05 am »

Anyone tracking flights out of the Clemson area? Who here is going to stakeout Powerhouse until KB shows up?  Lastly, someone needs to monitor his twitter and instagram feeds in the event he posts a pic of himself wearing a red tie for Christ's sake!

rzrbk4life

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 11:32:49 am »

Obviously, take everything as idle chatter, especially when it comes to these kids making decisions, but I hear Auburn/Arkansas on the Hog side from a few different sites with posters that are usually in the know. On the Auburn side, my buddy was a QB at Auburn and he's a donor now. He also hears Auburn/Arkansas from his friends.

So, I'm taking both sides hearing similar things as a good sign that it's not too far off base. Could totally be wrong, but that's just the chatter that's on both sides. Tends to be that when you see smoke from two different fan bases... there's at least a bit of fire. Who knows. 

Has gus ever coached up a qb from freshman to senior? I swear that guy lives off transfer qb’s

#hammerdown

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2018, 11:50:56 am »

I don't have a clue if he is even interested but people on here claiming it would ruin him because of our current status as a team are way off base.

Our Oline will not be the same next year as it is this year.  They are bad I agree.  But they are better now than they were last year.

Literally every other position on the field is either getting better or is going to see an infusion of really high level talent.

If he comes here and we win a lot of games guess who will get the credit?  Yep, Kelly Bryant.  He will be the media darling.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

• That's nice.... Real nice!
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2018, 11:52:20 am »

Has gus ever coached up a qb from freshman to senior? I swear that guy lives off transfer qb’s
Gus will be lucky to have a job come seasons end.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2018, 12:08:38 pm »

Gus will be lucky to have a job come seasons end.

75% of his contract is guaranteed (almost $37MM) and 50% of that is due to him in full within 30 days of termination. He's not going anywhere this year.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2018, 12:22:42 pm »

75% of his contract is guaranteed (almost $37MM) and 50% of that is due to him in full within 30 days of termination. He's not going anywhere this year.
That's what everyone thought about Bret too.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2018, 12:26:19 pm »

That's what everyone thought about Bret too.

If you can't see the difference here, then I can't help you.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2018, 12:32:48 pm »

It's Auburn. They have a plan to get rid of him if it comes down to it. They had that figured out before he ever signed the contract. They've got dirt on the man and it'll come to light if need be.

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2018, 12:47:06 pm »

It's Auburn. They have a plan to get rid of him if it comes down to it. They had that figured out before he ever signed the contract. They've got dirt on the man and it'll come to light if need be.

So, you're telling me that Auburn gave Malzahn a 7-year extension worth $49MM (75% guaranteed), with knowledge of something that they could bring to light which would void the contract should they choose to fire him before the extension is up? And that this something would not put the program in any danger of self-imposed or NCAA sanctions? Sure.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2018, 12:50:21 pm »

They weasle their way outta the deal with cam newton. What makes you think they can't do the same with gus? They'll get it done one way or the other in Alabama. They don't raise chickens down there. They win or else...

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2018, 12:51:27 pm »

So, you're telling me that Auburn gave Malzahn a 7-year extension worth $49MM (75% guaranteed), with knowledge of something that they could bring to light which would void the contract should they choose to fire him before the extension is up? And that this something would not put the program in any danger of self-imposed or NCAA sanctions? Sure.

He said dirt.  Didn't say what kind.  Take NCAA dirt out of the equation.  That's not what brought Hugh Freeze down and Ole Miss gave him the heave ho without paying him a dime.  So the dirt could be something similar.  Not saying it is, and the poster may not know a thing, but just saying at AU anything is possible.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2018, 01:00:29 pm »

Gus will just say ditto. Look Auburn remember my recruitment of Cam Newton.I got names, dates, places.... Make the check out to my wife and Oh yea Thank you.

FutureMan

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2018, 01:02:48 pm »

The Kelly Bryant situation reminds me of Ryan Mallett in '09.  Meaning: second year head coach, has a lot of potential but doesn't quite have the players to do it, yet.  Get a stud transfer QB to jumpstart the transition, get better and better each year.  Hoping for a similar scenario.

rhames

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2018, 01:05:51 pm »

The Kelly Bryant situation reminds me of Ryan Mallett in '09.  Meaning: second year head coach, has a lot of potential but doesn't quite have the players to do it, yet.  Get a stud transfer QB to jumpstart the transition, get better and better each year.  Hoping for a similar scenario.

Mallett transferred here before Petrino coached a game.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2018, 01:10:11 pm »

We do it again and again. The savior QB is always the HS commit. We’ve done it with Peavey, Storey, Noland, etc.

No kidding.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2018, 01:19:07 pm »

Article in the Tulsa World this morning noted the difference between OU and Texas almost always begins with QB and ends before another position matters. OU has managed to find high-end QBs: Jason White, Sam Bradford, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray. Others in-between, too, who were superior to what UT put on the field.

The steps seem easy but are ridiculously challenging:
1. ID a potential QB with promise, probably a HS guy so you can develop them yourself as much as possible
2. get them to commit early so they can be a focal point of your recruiting effort
3. hope to god that either the QB transitions smoothly, or grows into college ball quickly
4. coach up the QB to maximize their skills
5. hope to god everyhing else around them is functional

Any of those five can go bacd. If a lower number goes bad the bigger numbers don't matter.

For UA,
1. we committed QBs then had coaching changes. Not sure the commits were optimized for the new coach but they were good about honoring the commitments
2. If your QB doesn't have some cachet, it is hard to use them to recruit to. Witness: Rafe Peavey
3. the transition is the biggest issue. Witness Storey's throwing motion glitch that took a long time to remove, and the ongoing late reads. The college game is still a touch "fast" for his mind. He is growing quickly, and we'll see if this can be overcome by year's end.
4. this is elite territory, not just normal player development. At UA, it amounts to overcoming deficiencies elsewhere because the QB is so good. See Texas Tech and Oklahoma State for examples.
5. Bigger picture of having a good team. Right now, it is hard to get Storey over the hump with lackluster OL play and the WR room needing some help.

RazorPiggie

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2018, 01:20:31 pm »

Except we'd only get KB for 1 year instead of 2.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2018, 01:26:48 pm »

It's pretty simple...Bryant will do one of these things, and no one on this board knows which choice he will decide upon!

1. Kelly Bryant will come to Arkansas and play one year for a coach who he is somewhat familiar with, in a system that he is very familiar with, and lead an offense of young, but talented, up-and-comers, and be the for-sure starter.
2. Kelly Bryant will go to a college not named Arkansas, where the offensive starters and team might be a little better, but he may not be the for-sure starter.
3. Kelly Bryant will enter his name in the 2019 NFL draft, or will sign with an agent.
4. Kelly Bryant will quit football.

Pick one. Your guess is as good as mine!  ???

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2018, 01:33:20 pm »

He said dirt.  Didn't say what kind.  Take NCAA dirt out of the equation.  That's not what brought Hugh Freeze down and Ole Miss gave him the heave ho without paying him a dime.  So the dirt could be something similar.  Not saying it is, and the poster may not know a thing, but just saying at AU anything is possible.

What? Freeze resigned. So, no, he would not have gotten anything because the resignation. Also, the NCAA charged Ole Miss with numerous violations, which then led to HDN suing the University because Freeze and Ole Miss claimed that Nutt was responsible for the violations. Nutt FOIA'd, ultimately leading to the Freeze scandal.

Either way, the NCAA would be involved, and if Auburn "has dirt" on Malzahn, there is little to no chance that the school would not be slapped with violations, too.

Bottom line is this: If Malzahn is fired, Auburn pays Malzahn what he is owed; or they don't due to violations that are uncovered by the NCAA.

toddfromdesarc

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2018, 02:17:10 pm »

I see you attended the Trump Academy of Misinformation

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2018, 02:29:37 pm »

And Razorback nation tells Malzahn....you're welcome for that!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 21   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas