• 9,972,928 Posts
• 400,354 Topics
• 22,942 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018-19 Predictions / Coaching change?  (Read 1612 times)

redleg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
2018-19 Predictions / Coaching change?
« on: September 28, 2018, 08:51:16 am »

Looking at who is coming back, who is new, and how this schedule plays out (especially considering the tougher non-conference opponents), I can see this team winning 20 games (10-8 in SEC) with a chance to play themselves into the NCAA Tournament through the SEC tournament.

My question is this:
How many more seasons does Mike Anderson get, with him only producing low to mid 20 win seasons and not making it past the 2nd round of the NCAA's, when we actually make the NCAA's? I realize that there are lots of teams out there that don't even get what we have been getting. But that is not the issue! The issue for me is, Arkansas Razorback basketball is historically better than this. When do we say it might be time to move on from the Mike Anderson experiment, or do we give him a chance to recruit and coach the upcoming 2020 and 2021 classes, and hope he and those players can take the program back to where it belongs? Look at what Rick Barnes has done at Tennessee! The Vols tradition is not even close to what Arkansas' tradition has been, or could be again! Why hasn't Anderson been able to do something similar?! The Hogs haven't won a regular season title in 18 years! 23 years if you go back to the 1995 West championship!

How much longer does Anderson get before it's time to move on to another head coach?

FineAsSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville think tank
Re: 2018-19 Predictions / Coaching change?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 09:34:40 am »

For some reason I can't seem to find the smite button. That's ok, I'll save this smite until they put it back.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

mykidsdad

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 10:10:45 am »

Looking at who is coming back, who is new, and how this schedule plays out (especially considering the tougher non-conference opponents), I can see this team winning 20 games (10-8 in SEC) with a chance to play themselves into the NCAA Tournament through the SEC tournament.

My question is this:
How many more seasons does Mike Anderson get, with him only producing low to mid 20 win seasons and not making it past the 2nd round of the NCAA's, when we actually make the NCAA's? I realize that there are lots of teams out there that don't even get what we have been getting. But that is not the issue! The issue for me is, Arkansas Razorback basketball is historically better than this. When do we say it might be time to move on from the Mike Anderson experiment, or do we give him a chance to recruit and coach the upcoming 2020 and 2021 classes, and hope he and those players can take the program back to where it belongs? Look at what Rick Barnes has done at Tennessee! The Vols tradition is not even close to what Arkansas' tradition has been, or could be again! Why hasn't Anderson been able to do something similar?! The Hogs haven't won a regular season title in 18 years! 23 years if you go back to the 1995 West championship!

How much longer does Anderson get before it's time to move on to another head coach?

As much time as he wants. Fans like you created the mess we have been in with basketball since you ran off Nolan. Mike is bringing back Arkansas but having to do it at a much slower pace given the environment of todayís basketball with rampant cheating. Nolan didnít play that game and Mike wonít either.

Frankly the only chance Arkansas has to return to where we were is to let Mike fix it, albeit slower than we would like, or hire a cheater and start playing the game. I donít want that, you may.

cram224

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 10:11:10 am »

I think he asks a good honest question.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 10:13:03 am »

As much time as he wants. Fans like you created the mess we have been in with basketball since you ran off Nolan. Mike is bringing back Arkansas but having to do it at a much slower pace given the environment of todayís basketball with rampant cheating. Nolan didnít play that game and Mike wonít either.

Frankly the only chance Arkansas has to return to where we were is to let Mike fix it, albeit slower than we would like, or hire a cheater and start playing the game. I donít want that, you may.
+1

MakingPlays

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 10:14:45 am »

Who's man is this?

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 10:24:22 am »

I think he asks a good honest question.

I agree it's an honest question, but the answer really depends on how much risk you're willing to take.  Mike Anderson has been a good coach, one of the SEC's best, but he hasn't brought us back to glory as we were hoping.  Personally, I think he still might eventually get us there.  However, if you think that good isn't good enough, and you want to roll the dice on another coach, be mindful of how this has worked out in football.  The coaching carousel has destroyed the football program, and the same people who hired Chad Morris will be looking to hire a basketball coach.  Why should I expect the outcome to be vastly different?  Besides, when we did the coaching carousel thing after imprudently firing Nolan, we sank lower and lower into the Pelphrey depths.  I don't think I have the stomach for that again.  Yes, at the moment Rick Barnes looks ascendant, and we all envy Tennessee, but Anderson is, I believe, 7-3 lifetime against Barnes.

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 10:37:36 am »

I'll add that the Rick Barnes story itself should be a cautionary tale for those who are always ready to fire a good coach any time he falters a bit.  Texas fired Barnes, and I would guess they now regret it mightily after seeing what he's done at Tennessee.  He's always been a good coach, but when he had a few mediocre years Texas was quick to get rid of him.  Barnes has now turned Tennessee into a real contender while Shaka Smart has taken Texas nowhere so far. 

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 10:45:47 am »

I agree it's an honest question, but the answer really depends on how much risk you're willing to take.  Mike Anderson has been a good coach, one of the SEC's best, but he hasn't brought us back to glory as we were hoping.  Personally, I think he still might eventually get us there.  However, if you think that good isn't good enough, and you want to roll the dice on another coach, be mindful of how this has worked out in football.  The coaching carousel has destroyed the football program, and the same people who hired Chad Morris will be looking to hire a basketball coach.  Why should I expect the outcome to be vastly different?  Besides, when we did the coaching carousel thing after imprudently firing Nolan, we sank lower and lower into the Pelphrey depths.  I don't think I have the stomach for that again.  Yes, at the moment Rick Barnes looks ascendant, and we all envy Tennessee, but Anderson is, I believe, 7-3 lifetime against Barnes.

Hunter Y did not hire Morris. We're not sure what he's capable of. No risk, no reward. I'm ready to roll the dice again in basketball. Besides, baseball is the only thing we really have to cheer about these days, so what would be the harm? A deeper level of apathy?

MakingPlays

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 11:04:07 am »

Hunter Y did not hire Morris. We're not sure what he's capable of. No risk, no reward. I'm ready to roll the dice again in basketball. Besides, baseball is the only thing we really have to cheer about these days, so what would be the harm? A deeper level of apathy?

If you think Hunter Yurachek will be the sole person in a major hire like a new basketball coach and none of the people that hired Yurachek and Chad Morris won't have a major affect in the decision you haven't been paying attention.  And Regardless this is a pointless conversation Mike Anderson isn't going anywhere, anybody that's in the know have already told you guys that several times, I've seen the threads you guys seem to bring up another one as soon as one dies down, like a new thread is going to magically make all your dreams come true. 

And If his coaching bothers you so much don't watch the games, it's pretty simple.  There's never been a coach fired because someone started a message board post because they didn't like him, but coaches have been fired if people aren't showing up to the games and there's no interest in the program, my best advice for you if you really want him gone, don't go to any of the games this year, let the rest of us fill up Bud and cheer for these Gafford dunks that's coming this year, and you can sit at home on google and find some potential new coaches for us, that way maybe you can post us some good info on some candidates when Mike decides to retire.

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 11:26:02 am »

So you're implying that a completely different set of people would be finding a new basketball coach, a competent set of people this time, and that somehow Yuracheck, who was and is head of the athletic department, had no say so in Morris's hiring? I don't buy it.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 11:35:18 am »

If you think Hunter Yurachek will be the sole person in a major hire like a new basketball coach and none of the people that hired Yurachek and Chad Morris won't have a major affect in the decision you haven't been paying attention.  And Regardless this is a pointless conversation Mike Anderson isn't going anywhere, anybody that's in the know have already told you guys that several times, I've seen the threads you guys seem to bring up another one as soon as one dies down, like a new thread is going to magically make all your dreams come true. 

And If his coaching bothers you so much don't watch the games, it's pretty simple.  There's never been a coach fired because someone started a message board post because they didn't like him, but coaches have been fired if people aren't showing up to the games and there's no interest in the program, my best advice for you if you really want him gone, don't go to any of the games this year, let the rest of us fill up Bud and cheer for these Gafford dunks that's coming this year, and you can sit at home on google and find some potential new coaches for us, that way maybe you can post us some good info on some candidates when Mike decides to retire.

Bro you nailed that response. Awesome.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 11:49:52 am »

Attendence is rising every year, it was a point to Fire CMA during his 5th year when he had yet to make the NCAA tourney, but now he has made it 3 out of 4 years and getting better recruiting classes, now is the time when his seat is getting less warm. He is slowly but surely bringing basketball back, and anybody that does not see that is blind.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 12:36:31 pm »

Arkansas had very little success until Sutton and it is really not to accurate to go back past the mid 70s anyway due to society changes that make it apples to oranges.  Since Sutton came to Arkansas in 74-75, Arkansas has made it past the 2nd round in 10 of the past 43 seasons.  Sutton had a cluster of seasons sandwiched between the beginning and end of his tenure as did Richardson.  Both Sutton and Richardson benefited from their situation they arrived.  Sutton came to Arkansas when Arkansas produced the triplets.  He had to sign them, create a team, and win, and he deserves the credit.  He was an amazing coach.  Everyone knew it at the time.  However, had he not had the triplets, it is unknown if he would have ever built Arkansas into the top 20 power we became.  Nolan came in when Arkansas was still a household name.  He also benefited from being the first black coach in the SWC or South or something like that.  He was able to recruit players that allowed him to climb Arkansas back to the top 20 ranks and keep us there.  Like Sutton, most of his post 2nd round appearances were sandwiched between the start and end of his tenure.  Anderson came in when Arkansas was down for most of the previous 10 years.  It was also at a time that the dynamics of television had changed drastically and Arkansas was no longer as big of a name to recruits because so many other schools were on cable and satellite that weren't there before.  Adding to MA's issue was he came in after a class was put together and he was expected to keep the class together because many of them were Arkansas players and the top recruit was a nationally ranked player.  He kept the class together, but it set him back two years because they weren't his style players and most ended up leaving anyway.  Nobody expected MA's building time to last as long as it did, but it is what it is.  However, when you look at the big picture with some objectivity, he has had Arkansas trending better for almost all of his tenure.  This season will likely be a set back to the previous, but look at the talent he has in place and recruits he has lined up.  When you consider those, the trend appears to still be improving.   Arkansas fans aren't known for patience, but it would be a mistake to make a change again when things are getting better if we only make the first round this year.

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 12:59:37 pm »

So you're implying that a completely different set of people would be finding a new basketball coach, a competent set of people this time, and that somehow Yuracheck, who was and is head of the athletic department, had no say so in Morris's hiring? I don't buy it.

Hunter Yuracheck has NEVER hired a coach, not even at Houston. I can't remember the name of the guy but it's the super rich dude involved with the University of Houston that hires all their coaches. The AD's at Houston are allowed to be in the room but that's about it.

The people doing the hiring would be the same bunch that hired Nutt, Morris, Heath, Altman, and Pelphrey.

No thank you.

redleg

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 01:10:20 pm »

Why take your anger out on me? I was asking a legit question. I didn't want Nolan fired...at least not until he opened his mouth and challenged Broyles publicly. Nolan picked the ONE GUY that he shouldn't have messed with, and he messed with him, and he did it IN PUBLIC! Not smart. Broyles had to fire him, or he would have lost credibility everywhere else. Saying I ran off Nolan is like saying I forced Lebron to leave Cleveland for the Lakers. It's an idiotic thing to say! If Anderson can get this team to take the next step over the next couple of seasons, it will show further progress back to where we should be. If he doesn't, and this team stagnates or regresses, it'll be time for him to go in my opinion.
Take your finger-pointing and self-righteous indignation and cram it with walnuts, buck-o!  >:(

ShadowHawg

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 01:16:36 pm »

Why take your anger out on me? I was asking a legit question. I didn't want Nolan fired...at least not until he opened his mouth and challenged Broyles publicly. Nolan picked the ONE GUY that he shouldn't have messed with, and he messed with him, and he did it IN PUBLIC! Not smart. Broyles had to fire him, or he would have lost credibility everywhere else. Saying I ran off Nolan is like saying I forced Lebron to leave Cleveland for the Lakers. It's an idiotic thing to say! If Anderson can get this team to take the next step over the next couple of seasons, it will show further progress back to where we should be. If he doesn't, and this team stagnates or regresses, it'll be time for him to go in my opinion.
Take your finger-pointing and self-righteous indignation and cram it with walnuts, buck-o!  >:(

You don't even begin to understand the Broyles/Nolan situation if you truly believe what you have posted.

The first time Broyles tried to fire Nolan was 1996. I don't recall Nolan calling Broyles out at that time. Do you?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 01:51:31 pm by ShadowHawg »

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 01:37:42 pm »

Hunter Yuracheck has NEVER hired a coach, not even at Houston. I can't remember the name of the guy but it's the super rich dude involved with the University of Houston that hires all their coaches. The AD's at Houston are allowed to be in the room but that's about it.

The people doing the hiring would be the same bunch that hired Nutt, Morris, Heath, Altman, and Pelphrey.

No thank you.

I think you're kind of agreeing with me, although I find it hard to believe your claim that the AD had no input at all in hiring the new football coach.  I don't think anyone is claiming Yuricheck hired him all on his own.  I don't think it ever works that way.  Anyway, most of the same guys, whose track record hiring coaches is very spotty, would be the ones who'd choose the man to replace Anderson, if it ever came to that.  They've had more misses than hits. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 02:37:35 pm »

Attendence is rising every year, it was a point to Fire CMA during his 5th year when he had yet to make the NCAA tourney, but now he has made it 3 out of 4 years and getting better recruiting classes, now is the time when his seat is getting less warm. He is slowly but surely bringing basketball back, and anybody that does not see that is blind.

Not arguing with the point you are trying to make just a stickler for facts.  Mike made it in year 4, missed in year 5.

Year 3 NIT (Portis Fr Year) Had a decent chance at NCAA.  Beat KY twice, 10-8 in league 20+ wins, but league overall was weak.
Year 4 NCAA (Portis So Year)
Year 5 Missed (big turnover year, Kapita doesn't make it to campus.  Portis and Qualls go MQ somewhat unexpected, counterfeit scandal)
Year 6 NCAA (Macon, Barford, Dusty, Moses)
Year 7 NCAA (Gafford Freshman year Macon/Barford Srs)

hawgfan4life

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 02:54:38 pm »

That is laughable.  He made a statement they could pay him his money if they weren't happy with him.  They did, but it wasn't because they were backed into a corner by insubordination.  Broyles mismanaged Nolan for most of the time he was here just like he did Holtz, Hatfield, Ford, Nutt, Sutton, and other sport coaches.  Broyles had an eye for hiring good coaches in most cases, but he couldn't keep from trying to help them have better programs.  Usually ended up harming the relationship, the program, and it would end badly.  He ran Holtz off too soon.  Forced coaching changes that were unwanted onto Ford and Nutt.  Tried to on Hatfield so he departed.  Simply meddled with basketball and had bad relationships with Sutton and Richardson.  Besides that, he build an amazing sports program.

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 04:26:27 pm »

No, the same group of idiots will hire our next Bball coach, no doubt. HY had been here about 2 days when Morris was hired. I honestly think the only say he had in the matter was 'OK'.

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 04:28:48 pm »

what happens when we miss the NCAA this year?

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 04:29:24 pm »

No, the same group of idiots will hire our next Bball coach, no doubt. HY had been here about 2 days when Morris was hired. I honestly think the only say he had in the matter was 'OK'.

PTB: "Hey Hunter Jerruh says we should hire Chad Morris, you ok with that?"

HY:  "Ummm yeah I guess so but...."

PTB:  "Thanks mane"

cityhog

• THE City
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 04:30:05 pm »

Besides that, he build an amazing sports program.
hahah! Besides that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 05:10:05 pm »

BTW, nowhere did I say Yurachek was responsible for hiring Morris.  I think that decision was already made before he came on board.  He probably was allowed some input before rubber stamping it.  My point is that the same people who chose Morris would probably be choosing a new basketball coach, if it ever came to that.  That scares me.

mykidsdad

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 05:33:53 pm »

No fans like you enabled the environment and allowed frank to set up the situation which caused the fall of Arkansas basketball, mainly because Frank felt that Nolan was a threat. This and Frank treating Nutt better, much better than Nolan who had done more for Arkansas. Nolan saw that as racist as do I.

As for you and your stupid, idiotic original question intentionally meant to support your obvious negative view, I couldnít care less what you think. Of course I have never given much thought to moronic peopleís view of me.

MakingPlays

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2018, 09:26:50 pm »

what happens when we miss the NCAA this year?

What happens if we make the NCAA tournament this year?  Are you going to stop asking what happens if he doesn't make it and advocating for firing him every year and making ridiculous predictions of him only winning 6 conference games?  You're probably not going to stop doing any of that.  So, to answer your question nothing is going to happen to him, except he'll have a better team that will make it the following year.

cram224

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2018, 08:18:08 am »

So CMA is getting a hall pass this year, in his tenth year? Rumors have it that if BWA is remodeled, the upper sections will be changed to have less seats. Sounds like a program moving up.

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2018, 08:40:00 am »

So CMA is getting a hall pass this year, in his tenth year? Rumors have it that if BWA is remodeled, the upper sections will be changed to have less seats. Sounds like a program moving up.
These are D-1 attendance figures from last year. Does attendance suggest a program in trouble, as you imply?  Draw your own conclusions.

DIVISION I Team Leaders Rank School G Attendance Average 1. Kentucky 18 393,743 21,874 2. Syracuse 19 407,778 21,462 3. North Carolina 15 275,681 18,378 4. Wisconsin 18 310,901 17,272 5. Creighton 18 306,000 17,000 6. Louisville 22 371,427 16,883 7. Kansas 18 294,206 16,344 8. Tennessee 15 243,148 16,209 9. Arkansas 17 275,084 16,181 10. Indiana 18 280,631 15,590 11. Nebraska 17 263,367 15,492 12. NC State 19 289,807 15,253 13. Missouri 16 240,976 15,061 14. Michigan St. 17 251,549 14,797 15. Maryland 18 264,164 14,675 16. Arizona 16 230,947 14,434 17. Purdue 17 243,844 14,343 18. BYU 16 227,692 14,230 19. Iowa St. 16 225,941 14,121 20. Virginia 17 236,703 13,923 21. Ohio St. 18 242,916 13,495 22. Alabama 17 227,640 13,390 23. Dayton 16 207,950 12,996 24. South Carolina 15 189,265 12,617 25. Illinois 18 227,051 12,613 26. Marquette 20 246,469 12,323 27. West Virginia 17 209,164 12,303 28. Iowa 15 180,391 12,026 29. Minnesota 17 201,454 11,850 30. Villanova 13 153,775 11,82

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2018, 08:56:14 am »

8th not 10th but whatever to make your agenda sound better

Pigcrazy

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2018, 02:19:34 pm »

There are multiple BOT members that arenít fans of Mike.  He is a middle of the pack coach with little to no game time adjustments.  Average recruiting abilityís and a average resume. Heís had one outstanding season and it wasnít at our school. There is room for lots of coaching improvements...

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2018, 02:24:40 pm »

There are multiple BOT members that arenít fans of Mike.  He is a middle of the pack coach with little to no game time adjustments.  Average recruiting abilityís and a average resume. Heís had one outstanding season and it wasnít at our school. There is room for lots of coaching improvements...
heís finished top 3 in the SEC 3 of the 4 years. Would be the last 4 years if not for Portis and Qualls unexpected departure, so Im pretty sure he isnít middle of the pack since heís got his system running with his players.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2018, 02:26:12 pm »

The thread would be cringe-worthy, if it did't make you shake your head every 30 words or so.

This is a down year,  to be sure.  Its still going to be a reasonably salty basketball team, and could overachieve without it being a huge surprise.

We've gotten significantly better under Anderson. The floor of the program is much higher now, than it was a decade ago.    The problem tends to be that there are a group of folks who believe that anything less than our ceiling for the last 20 years is underachievement.

No, it's just basketball for 340 tournament eligible programs every year.

cram224

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2018, 04:02:07 pm »

8th not 10th but whatever to make your agenda sound better
Your right getting a hall pass in year 8 is ok.

HoopS

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2018, 04:47:46 pm »

there are multiple BOT members who made asses of themselves not so long ago too. I suspect most recognize in game adjustments about as well as they recognize how to handle a coaching search.

hamARchy in the USA

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2018, 08:31:30 pm »

Hope you're right about that.  After being entombed in utter hopelessness all this time the program appears to have been written off.

HogBreath

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2018, 09:18:42 pm »

My question is this:

Go get him MOPS...he punkin the glorious fast forty.  GET HIM.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 10:48:47 am »

These are D-1 attendance figures from last year. Does attendance suggest a program in trouble, as you imply?  Draw your own conclusions.

DIVISION I Team Leaders Rank School G Attendance Average 1. Kentucky 18 393,743 21,874 2. Syracuse 19 407,778 21,462 3. North Carolina 15 275,681 18,378 4. Wisconsin 18 310,901 17,272 5. Creighton 18 306,000 17,000 6. Louisville 22 371,427 16,883 7. Kansas 18 294,206 16,344 8. Tennessee 15 243,148 16,209 9. Arkansas 17 275,084 16,181 10. Indiana 18 280,631 15,590 11. Nebraska 17 263,367 15,492 12. NC State 19 289,807 15,253 13. Missouri 16 240,976 15,061 14. Michigan St. 17 251,549 14,797 15. Maryland 18 264,164 14,675 16. Arizona 16 230,947 14,434 17. Purdue 17 243,844 14,343 18. BYU 16 227,692 14,230 19. Iowa St. 16 225,941 14,121 20. Virginia 17 236,703 13,923 21. Ohio St. 18 242,916 13,495 22. Alabama 17 227,640 13,390 23. Dayton 16 207,950 12,996 24. South Carolina 15 189,265 12,617 25. Illinois 18 227,051 12,613 26. Marquette 20 246,469 12,323 27. West Virginia 17 209,164 12,303 28. Iowa 15 180,391 12,026 29. Minnesota 17 201,454 11,850 30. Villanova 13 153,775 11,82

Paid attendance.  This isn't actual attendance.  We've gone over this many times.

Trend in college basketball is to have less with Louisville's arena an exception.  Our attendance will still exceed most when we have a team or matchup that interests our fans.  We should be looking to create as much urgency for fans to buy tickets and to attend as possible and one way to do it may be reducing capacity a little while adding to the experience.  With 19,000 seats and a sport past its peak, the urgency isn't there. 

The thread would be cringe-worthy, if it did't make you shake your head every 30 words or so.

This is a down year,  to be sure.  Its still going to be a reasonably salty basketball team, and could overachieve without it being a huge surprise.

We've gotten significantly better under Anderson. The floor of the program is much higher now, than it was a decade ago.    The problem tends to be that there are a group of folks who believe that anything less than our ceiling for the last 20 years is underachievement.

No, it's just basketball for 340 tournament eligible programs every year.

Can't force fans to care.  20 years of not reaching close to the ceiling once will reduce the caring and eventually run most out of patience.

Some fans don't care to just be one of 340 programs.  30 teams out of the ACC, SEC, Big 12 and Big East made the tournament last season.  These conferences have a total of 48 members.  62.5% made the tourney.  B1G and Pac 12 7 more bids out of 26 teams.  37 out of 74.  1 out of every 2 teams from the big 6 conferences made the NCAAT. 

My question is this:

As long as he wants.  He has brought us to the treading water point of good enough. 

But on the court doesn't matter as long as its good enough.

Nights like this are what matters most right now when it comes to our basketball program:

https://hitthatline.com/anderson-honored-at-burlsworth-foundations-legacy-dinner/

Get to have evenings like this with Nolan and his old players and Mike.  TJ and Scotty talking about the upcoming team to the media.  Nolan and Mike repeating cliches about bears and feeding monsters. 

Accept this reality enough to keep paying attention or not.  I get that its tough for some. 

Hawg Red

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 11:10:34 am »

No thank you.

Tilman Fertitta. Now owns the Houston Rockets.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 11:32:50 am »

Tilman Fertitta. Now owns the Houston Rockets.

Thanks Red.

Hawg Red

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 11:40:31 am »

There is a 0.000% chance Mike Anderson is fired in the next few years short of turning this program into a DePaul-type program (enjoy that, Darious). And there is really no good reason to fire Mike Anderson. And, yes, this is coming from someone who has flirted with and probably said he wants a different coach at various stages of the past probably 4 seasons. Things have crystallized now. We know what we are. We're one of the top programs in the SEC, proven over the course of several seasons. Is the ceiling great? No, it sure hasn't been. Do I have faith that Mike Anderson can have us in contention for the Sweet 16 and beyond 3-4 times in a decade? No, not really, I'm being honest. But recruiting has stabilized and been pretty good lately. We're still seeing a lot of Arkansas kids leave the state, but we also don't have room for all of them. Sure, we have lost some that we definitely had room for or made room for, but it's 2018. Time to let go of that expectation that we lock down all of the top talent. That kind of thinking is a relic of a different era. Anderson is doing well inside the state and bringing in some good, quality out-of-staters. And you know he'll be on point with JUCO players when we have to dip our toes into those waters.

I don't think we make the NCAA tournament this season. Not a huge deal to me because we lost a lot of veteran leadership and we don't have a lot of veterans as it stands. Losing like we did to Butler was a bigger deal to me because I felt like we needed to make something happen there. I felt like we need to at least get back into the second round and flirt with the Sweet 16 again, if not make it there outright. Thought the bracket was do-able for us. I'm disappointed that a veteran team like Arkansas got embarrassed by a first-year NCAA tournament coach that Butler had. But....I've been told on here that the locker room was a mess. I can see that. There was definitely some bad body language at times on there, and then we had a kid leave to go to DePaul when he would have been a starter and probably the #2 option on the team. That says more about the kid, to me.

There will come a time when it is definitely time for Mike Anderson to move on. I don't think that time is now at all, even though I am disappointed in how last season ended. I think when that time comes, Mike will retire. He's going to retire here, and I want that. I do want him to do better, though. My one hope for the program rising the ceiling I've put on it is maybe that bad chemistry last season was the reason we couldn't succeed in the NCAA tournament, and maybe that is just a by-product of having several somewhat self-centered players. I'll just say it -- I wonder if that JUCO ball mentality that Barford and Macon might have had stunned our growth. Don't get wrong, I love the JUCO ball style we played at times. And it was really unavoidable because our top two scorers were JUCO guys. Imagine where Anderson would be if he didn't sign those two. He needed them, but they were not the answer to a sustainable path to success. Maybe this new group is where we have 3 guys on the team who have been AAU teammates for years with a 4th coming in next year (and practicing with the team in the spring, hopefully). Lot of prep guys on the team now and Mason does not seem to be the typical JUCO guy, and he comes from a good bloodline with a brother who knows true success. In-state talent as far as the eye can see in coming years. Surely Mike can get enough of the really good ones. Chris Moore is crucial, IMO. Looks like Mike isn't doing too well getting a 6'9+ big to be a Hog. Maybe not the end of the world with how basketball has been trending. I've accepted it and converted to team #smallball. He'll get some rangy undersized guys, and he's had success with those types at UAB and Mizzou. Anyway, I'm just rambling at this point. But Mike isn't going anywhere, nor should he. Some folks need to let that go for now and some need to be understanding when people are really just venting. We know that certain posters will always complain about Mike just like some will defend every move made or every fault/short-coming. I've been in enough to know that pissing matches are just bad for the board. Enjoy this NIT run! Next year will be interesting.

daprospecta

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 11:41:58 am »

You would think after watching what's going on with our football program that it would wise people up about finding coaches.  We had Stan Heath and John Pelphrey and it put our program back years.  We have a coach now that has us on solid ground, making tourneys, signing top 100 players and has won games against teams that are making deep runs in the tourney.  I look at it this way.  The chance of us starting to make deep runs under CMA with his current roster and classes coming in are much higher than the chance of hiring a new coach who will have us in sweet 16's and beyond.

Hawg Red

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2018, 11:43:36 am »

Ugh. That post is way too long, but it's the last Mike Anderson post I'm making for a long time.

Hawg Red

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2018, 11:46:49 am »

You would think after watching what's going on with our football program that it would wise people up about finding coaches.  We had Stan Heath and John Pelphrey and it put our program back years.  We have a coach now that has us on solid ground, making tourneys, signing top 100 players and has won games against teams that are making deep runs in the tourney.  I look at it this way.  The chance of us starting to make deep runs under CMA with his current roster and classes coming in are much higher than the chance of hiring a new coach who will have us in sweet 16's and beyond.

All of the coaching changes at Arkansas during what I would call by "adult" life (18 and on) have definitely shown me that the grass is not always greener. Mike Anderson is by far and away the best coach Arkansas has hired since Nolan Richardson, and he's actually established an identity for the program. Again, as I said in my megalodon post above, that doesn't mean everything is great or there aren't some things that need to improve, but it does mean that the odds are probably higher that we need up with a markedly worse coach if Mike were to be fired.

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2018, 12:20:28 pm »

Paid attendance.  This isn't actual attendance.  We've gone over this many times.

Yes, but it's paid attendance for the other teams, too.  The point is we ranked 9th in the country.  I see no reason to think that ranking would change any if you were measuring actual attendance instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas