• 9,972,937 Posts
• 400,354 Topics
• 22,942 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Khalil Garland ...  (Read 9900 times)

Kevin McPherson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Khalil Garland ...
« on: September 27, 2018, 08:31:02 am »

Khalil Garland goes back to the doctor today. His appointment was originally for this month, date was changed to mid-October, then back in August it was decided to bump it back to September 27 (today). Was going to stay quiet about it, but KG tweeted this morning about today's doc visit so it's out there.

kingofdequeen

Re: Khalil Garland ...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 08:32:31 am »

here's to a clean bill of health for him and our bball team. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

mhuff

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 09:12:17 am »

May the Great Physician protect us all. May everything go well with you Khalil.

FineAsSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville think tank
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 09:21:55 am »

May the Great Physician protect us all. May everything go well with you Khalil.

From your mouth to God's ears....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5u_8y93GKY

Scott7703

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 09:47:06 am »

Want this kid to play badly but his health is far more important than the game of basketball. Hope all goes well for him.

daprospecta

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 10:17:05 am »

If Garland is cleared, this team will be scary.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 01:42:36 pm »

If Garland is cleared, this team will be scary.

We haven't had a 6'5"+ wing like him in a long time.

sbetts01

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 01:46:07 pm »

Prayers for this young man. I want him to get cleared but in the grand scheme of things his lifelong health totally outweighs basketball. #WPS

porque

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 02:08:30 pm »

I don't even know how to feel about this.  I hope he gets the ok but if there is any question at all....

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 02:09:56 pm »

FYI: We may not have a resolution today, I can't/won't give details but this possibly could take a bit longer.

RealHog

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 02:33:19 pm »

Iím sure the lawyers have to make sure no one could possibly build a suit. Mainly hoping he gets a clean bill of health, and if the Bball team gets a unexpected bonus then thatís a great cherry on top.

Little Lady Back

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 02:58:09 pm »

Hoping for good news for Khalil and family!

Razorod

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 03:32:19 pm »

FYI: We may not have a resolution today, I can't/won't give details but this possibly could take a bit longer.
Thanks for keeping us up to date.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 05:08:32 pm »

This is good news vs. bad news.

azhog10

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 09:33:49 am »

I wonder if this was ever talked about? Possibly Garlands issue is different, but it looks like UCLA found Shareef O'Neal had a heart condition and they put a heart monitor on him in which he could press a button and notify trainers if he was feeling a certain way. I wonder if this is something they can use with Khalil to help keep him safe. Anyways O'Neal will be out for the season and is having heart surgery.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24821422/shareef-oneal-shaq-son-miss-ucla-season-heart-ailment

HawgsPolo

• Varsity
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 09:42:25 am »

:'(

Razorod

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 11:19:37 am »

Fan701

• Senior
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 11:28:51 am »

Not good?

I'm guessing so.  Were the news good, we'd have heard something by now, I think.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 11:50:39 am »

Not good?
im pretty sure that sad face had to do with that article

East TN HAWG

• Hogville.net
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 12:01:10 pm »

I wonder if this was ever talked about? Possibly Garlands issue is different, but it looks like UCLA found Shareef O'Neal had a heart condition and they put a heart monitor on him in which he could press a button and notify trainers if he was feeling a certain way. I wonder if this is something they can use with Khalil to help keep him safe. Anyways O'Neal will be out for the season and is having heart surgery.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24821422/shareef-oneal-shaq-son-miss-ucla-season-heart-ailment
Not a bad idea.  In this day and time, you would think the trainers could monitor his vitals from the sideline, locker room, Fayetteville or where ever without him pushing anything. 

ShadowHawg

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2018, 01:02:48 pm »

I'm guessing so.  Were the news good, we'd have heard something by now, I think.

You could read these tea leaves either way.

azhog10

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2018, 01:27:16 pm »

You could read these tea leaves either way.
Actually think it's good news. Could be that progress has been made but the University want's to be sure due to liability reasons.

skinnypig

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2018, 01:31:43 pm »

Shareef just announced he is sitting out this year and will have heart surgery

azhog10

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2018, 02:39:49 pm »

Shareef just announced he is sitting out this year and will have heart surgery
Yes, I said that. It's in the article. He's having surgery due to something they found at a checkup AFTER already knowing he had an issue. My point wasn't the surgery bc if Khalil needed that then they would have done it. It was to point out the heart monitor they used to allow him to practice/play. It wasn't until recently he started having some issues that they noticed and decided to opt for surgery.

I wonder if Arkansas has looked at using the monitor to maybe determine if it's really just something normal and different from us. Or if it's really an issue.

InHognito

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2018, 12:58:39 am »

Yes, I said that. It's in the article. He's having surgery due to something they found at a checkup AFTER already knowing he had an issue. My point wasn't the surgery bc if Khalil needed that then they would have done it. It was to point out the heart monitor they used to allow him to practice/play. It wasn't until recently he started having some issues that they noticed and decided to opt for surgery.

I wonder if Arkansas has looked at using the monitor to maybe determine if it's really just something normal and different from us. Or if it's really an issue.

Not a bad idea.  In this day and time, you would think the trainers could monitor his vitals from the sideline, locker room, Fayetteville or where ever without him pushing anything.

Im going to be the internet know-it-all for a second....Im a cardiac ICU nurse and know just about every kind of heart disease out there. The monitor you guys are talking about is called a Holter monitor...we give it to patients that have symptomatic heart arrythmias (meaning an irregular heartbeat that they feel). When they feel their heart racing, fluttering, kicking, etc, they push the button and the monitor records the data for later interpretation by a healthcare provider.

This may or may not have anything to do with what Garland has. To put it in layman's terms there are two types of issues in heart disease: Electrical and plumbing. Electrical has to do with how/when your heart beats, plumbing has to do with the movement of the blood through the heart and body. The Holter monitor is for electrical issues, but if Garland has plumbing issues (at his age most likely something like a congenital defect, valvular disease, Atrial or Ventricular Septal Defect, etc) Holter monitors wont tell us much if anything.

I would suspect that Garland has something that will prevent him from playing permanently, else it would have been an issue that should have been fixed by now

hoglady

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2018, 08:11:34 am »

Im going to be the internet know-it-all for a second....Im a cardiac ICU nurse and know just about every kind of heart disease out there. The monitor you guys are talking about is called a Holter monitor...we give it to patients that have symptomatic heart arrythmias (meaning an irregular heartbeat that they feel). When they feel their heart racing, fluttering, kicking, etc, they push the button and the monitor records the data for later interpretation by a healthcare provider.

This may or may not have anything to do with what Garland has. To put it in layman's terms there are two types of issues in heart disease: Electrical and plumbing. Electrical has to do with how/when your heart beats, plumbing has to do with the movement of the blood through the heart and body. The Holter monitor is for electrical issues, but if Garland has plumbing issues (at his age most likely something like a congenital defect, valvular disease, Atrial or Ventricular Septal Defect, etc) Holter monitors wont tell us much if anything.

I would suspect that Garland has something that will prevent him from playing permanently, else it would have been an issue that should have been fixed by now

Thanks for posting.
I can tell you are used to explaining things to families in terms they can understand.
Good job.

kp72204

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 01:04:15 pm »

Thanks. I too now have a better understanding of it.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2018, 01:14:26 pm »

If this is the case and the prognosis is that poor, why have they drawn it out this long?

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 03:54:13 pm »

According to Mike Anderson: based on recent tests, NOT medically cleared.

As I predicted, it's unlikely he will ever suit up for the Hogs.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 04:54:30 pm »

Feels great to be right, doesn't it?

You are weird.

daprospecta

« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2018, 05:02:10 pm »

Hate it for the young man. Sign him up as a student-coach.  With that being said, we now have two scholarships for 2019. Javon and Justice?

hoglady

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2018, 05:49:08 pm »

If this is the case and the prognosis is that poor, why have they drawn it out this long?

Because the kid wants to play and I'm sure Anderson told Garland and his family they would stand with him until every avenue had been tried.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2018, 06:36:58 pm »

Hate this for Khalil

HawgsPolo

• Varsity
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2018, 07:28:03 pm »

im pretty sure that sad face had to do with that article

Not even 

BentonvilleJeff

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2018, 08:31:11 pm »

If thatís the case for Khalil then one day and not today he will be forever grateful it was caught in time. If he gets to see his son or daughter grow up his whole perspective will change to gratitude. At his age now though heís crushed. Praying for him.

mhuff

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2018, 10:24:49 am »

Agree, it looks bad ,but I donít look for the Razorbacks to abandon him. He needs support now and in the future.

The Hogfather

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Have you BOOFED yet?
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2018, 11:12:40 am »

Hate this for Khalil

Ugh.  Makes me sick for the young man.

hawgball40

• #wps4life
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2018, 02:04:50 pm »

Folks, i don't think he'll ever play a game in a razorback uniform. The post about the tea leaves is a red herring. If you follow Khalil on twitter it is quite clear how heart broken he was after the visit. I really wish it wasn't true but it really seems like he got bad news just judging from his reaction on twitter. My heart goes out for the kid

gmarv

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2018, 02:17:47 pm »

Agree, it looks bad ,but I don’t look for the Razorbacks to abandon him. He needs support now and in the future.
Yes he does can't be easy all the waiting and waiting.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2018, 04:38:27 pm »

Folks, i don't think he'll ever play a game in a razorback uniform. The post about the tea leaves is a red herring. If you follow Khalil on twitter it is quite clear how heart broken he was after the visit. I really wish it wasn't true but it really seems like he got bad news just judging from his reaction on twitter. My heart goes out for the kid

The post about the tea leaves was prior to MA announcing he wasn't cleared. Hardly a red herring.

InHognito

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2018, 10:24:06 pm »

Actually a good question. The only thing I can think of is if he has a congenital defect they are hoping repairs itself (which does happen but is very rare) or it is something they are trying to treat with a medication and they aren't getting the results they want in order to clear him.

It could also be that multiple doctors are involved, and that some have deemed him ineligible medically but they have gone to other physicians for second opinions.

Several factors are at play. If I knew the condition he had I could probably tell you

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2018, 09:50:16 am »

Because the kid wants to play and I'm sure Anderson told Garland and his family they would stand with him until every avenue had been tried.

Exactly, if there is even a sliver of hope why not.

Wooderson

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2018, 09:04:44 pm »

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1032334086637989889?s=19

Any chance Khalil has this issue. Seems like  him being withheld from contact it could be a similar situation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas