• 10,061,215 Posts
• 402,725 Topics
• 23,014 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Patrick Mahomes  (Read 3025 times)

#1 STUNNA

Re: Patrick Mahomes
« Reply #100 on: January 07, 2019, 02:28:23 pm »

Lamar Jackson sure looked like a rookie yesterday wow. I hope the chiefs don't 1 and done, and i am not really a chiefs fan i just think they deserve at least 1 win in the playoffs.
if the chiefs go one and done.. which i dont think they will... it wont be because of Mahomes in my opinion.. more likely our defense.

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Today, we are teaching poodles how to fly...
« Reply #101 on: January 07, 2019, 08:25:02 pm »

if the chiefs go one and done.. which i dont think they will... it wont be because of Mahomes in my opinion.. more likely our defense.

Nelson and Scandrick. And Sutton. And Hitchens. Our pass rush is going to have to get there quick and unsettle Luck. We have a good rush but that's a tall order. I'm working my way out of this Debbie Downer mood I promise lol.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2019, 10:06:39 am »

Nelson and Scandrick. And Sutton. And Hitchens. Our pass rush is going to have to get there quick and unsettle Luck. We have a good rush but that's a tall order. I'm working my way out of this Debbie Downer mood I promise lol.

Im praying Berry and Watkins are  back!!!! I think some of the Colts success has been a fluke with who they have faced during their hot streak... its like nothing they will see saturday. But you still gotta play the game.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2019, 10:18:07 am »

Im praying Berry and Watkins are  back!!!! I think some of the Colts success has been a fluke with who they have faced during their hot streak... its like nothing they will see saturday. But you still gotta play the game.

If one comes back it has to be Watkins in my opinion. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2019, 01:45:10 pm »

If one comes back it has to be Watkins in my opinion.
sounds like both will be back for Saturday!!

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2019, 04:21:26 pm »

sounds like both will be back for Saturday!!

That's big if true. Just hope Berry can make an impact. Watkins has to be accounted for and opens up the offense that much more.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2019, 11:40:36 am »

That's big if true. Just hope Berry can make an impact. Watkins has to be accounted for and opens up the offense that much more.
yep. Berry if anything at least will help in run support. He might not be pro bowl Berry but you still have to respect him.

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2019, 03:56:03 pm »

yep. Berry if anything at least will help in run support. He might not be pro bowl Berry but you still have to respect him.

He didn't practice today...

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2019, 09:28:37 am »

He didn't practice today...
lets hope he does today...

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2019, 12:29:36 pm »

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2019, 04:23:53 pm »

for sure
didnt practice again... listed as questionable.... sounds like Watkins and Ware will be playing though!

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2019, 04:35:19 pm »

didnt practice again... listed as questionable.... sounds like Watkins and Ware will be playing though!

Yep just read that he most likely won't play. Same day-to-day crap

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2019, 08:01:50 am »

Gonna be a nasty day in KC weather wise. 

EastexHawg

« Reply #113 on: January 11, 2019, 09:23:31 am »

The Chiefs defense worries me.  It's hard to win when the other team scores almost every time it has the ball

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2019, 09:28:16 am »

The Chiefs defense worries me.  It's hard to win when the other team scores almost every time it has the ball

I agree, and the Chiefs offense of late is not was it was before week 11.  Weather won't be bone cold but it will be major crappy, not sure if that hurts either team more than the other Saturday. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2019, 10:04:47 am »

I think we will be fine. Sports radio this morning said if snow is here before 4pm to expect 8-10 inches today and tomorrow.

EastexHawg

« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2019, 10:25:49 am »

The better team never wants weather to be a factor.  Poor field conditions and a slippery ball are equalizers.  The Chiefs would of course prefer to play this game on a fast, dry track.  When you are the highest scoring offense in football you don't want outside forces to slow you down.

Balls that slip out of quarterbacks' hands or squirt away from receivers and backs are game changers.  In inclement conditions you have to hope the breaks go your way.  "Breaks" are more likely to help the underdog than the better team.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2019, 10:32:11 am »

Ticket prices dropping like crazy!!!

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2019, 10:35:35 am »

Ticket prices dropping like crazy!!!

Yeah, not a good weekend to scalp... ;)

EastexHawg

« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2019, 10:50:38 am »

How fast and shifty is Tyreek Hill on a snowy field?  Not much more than anyone else if he doesn't want to fall down repeatedly.

Much more mobile QB?  Not really, not when footing is a problem.  The plodders who keep their feet under them may actually have an advantage.

DBs slipping and falling down, WRs falling coming out of cuts just as the ball is thrown...I don't like it a bit.  I think this game just became a toss up.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2019, 10:54:23 am »

How fast and shifty is Tyreek Hill on a snowy field? Not much more than anyone else if he doesn't want to fall down repeatedly.

Much more mobile QB?  Not really, not when footing is a problem.  The plodders who keep their feet under them may actually have an advantage.

DBs slipping and falling down, WRs falling coming out of cuts just as the ball is thrown...I don't like it a bit.  I think this game just became a toss up.

Unless it's a blizzard during the game there will be NO snow on the field. All wide receivers have an advantage on a wet field. 

EastexHawg

« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2019, 11:01:46 am »

Unless it's a blizzard during the game there will be NO snow on the field. All wide receivers have an advantage on a wet field. 

Let's hope so.  The forecast calls for a 100% chance of snow tomorrow.  We'll see.

My point is that adverse weather is an equalizer.  It creates turnovers and other sorts of breaks.  The better team, which I believe the Chiefs are, doesn't want breaks to become a deciding factor.

But, that's beyond anyone's control so they will have to take it as it comes.

I'm fairly certain that Mahomes has never played in snow.  I know he didn't in high school.  I watched every game when he was at Tech and don't remember snow.  They did play in cold, windy weather at Iowa State and the offense got shut down.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2019, 11:10:28 am »

Let's hope so.  The forecast calls for a 100% chance of snow tomorrow.  We'll see.

My point is that adverse weather is an equalizer.  It creates turnovers and other sorts of breaks.  The better team, which I believe the Chiefs are, doesn't want breaks to become a deciding factor.

But, that's beyond anyone's control so they will have to take it as it comes.

I'm fairly certain that Mahomes has never played in snow.  I know he didn't in high school.  I watched every game when he was at Tech and don't remember snow.  They did play in cold, windy weather at Iowa State and the offense got shut down.

it's not supposed to be crazy cold, There will be no snow on the field unless it's snowing during the game. Patrick has already played in games in the NFL as cold as it will be Saturday. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2019, 11:29:46 am »

Tickets just purchased!!! Screw the colts!!!!

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2019, 11:34:51 am »

Awesome, where you at. 

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2019, 12:02:41 pm »

I should've gotten playoff tickets. Here I am, a season ticket holder (section 101, row 2, seats 5 and 6) and will be watching at home. Oh well, the weather is supposed to suck, so there's that I guess.

One request - BE LOUD. LOSE YOUR VOICE.  ;)

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2019, 12:14:46 pm »

I should've gotten playoff tickets. Here I am, a season ticket holder (section 101, row 2, seats 5 and 6) and will be watching at home. Oh well, the weather is supposed to suck, so there's that I guess.

One request - BE LOUD. LOSE YOUR VOICE.  ;)
I'm 118, I  understand.

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2019, 12:19:43 pm »

I'm 118, I  understand.

I fly from Love Field to KCI for games so I would've had to purchase a plane ticket short notice and you know how that goes. Plus, I can make some ribs for the game.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2019, 01:21:30 pm »

Awesome, where you at. 
I normally buy my bosses season tickets for me and my lady because he isnt a die hard fan. just has them to have them basically. SEC 131 row 13..Have been to the Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, Ravens game so far. Was just gonna sit this one out because of outrageous ticket prices. But they dropped quite a bit so i was like screw it. I cant miss this game. In section 331 row 10... not a fan of the tickets but just had to do it. The atmosphere alone will make every seat in the house good. Plus Mahomes is about to change the culture tomorrow and make every sports analyst in america a believer!!!! And Ive said it before not many cities in America are as fun to be apart of then when the chiefs or royals are rocking!!!!!! A little Mahomes + a rocking Kansas City equals some magic and I refuse to miss it...lol

EastexHawg

« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2019, 04:09:23 pm »

The National Weather Service just upgraded the Winter Weather Advisory for Kansas City to a Winter Storm Warning.  They say 100% chance of up to 3 inches of snow during the day tomorrow, with a high of 32 degrees.  At least it's not supposed to be windy to go with the snow.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2019, 05:31:43 pm »

The National Weather Service just upgraded the Winter Weather Advisory for Kansas City to a Winter Storm Warning.  They say 100% chance of up to 3 inches of snow during the day tomorrow, with a high of 32 degrees.  At least it's not supposed to be windy to go with the snow.

It's snowing right now at Arrowhead, will have 3-6 inches by game time.. field will look green and pretty..

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2019, 05:34:01 pm »

I normally buy my bosses season tickets for me and my lady because he isnt a die hard fan. just has them to have them basically. SEC 131 row 13..Have been to the Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, Ravens game so far. Was just gonna sit this one out because of outrageous ticket prices. But they dropped quite a bit so i was like screw it. I cant miss this game. In section 331 row 10... not a fan of the tickets but just had to do it. The atmosphere alone will make every seat in the house good. Plus Mahomes is about to change the culture tomorrow and make every sports analyst in america a believer!!!! And Ive said it before not many cities in America are as fun to be apart of then when the chiefs or royals are rocking!!!!!! A little Mahomes + a rocking Kansas City equals some magic and I refuse to miss it...lol

Stunna you will be hangin with your Mahommies, You will have a great time.    ;D

Tommy

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2019, 05:35:46 pm »

Heís something

EastexHawg

« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2019, 02:26:22 pm »

Grabbing some Windex now to clean the film off my TV screen that is keeping me from seeing that pretty green field.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2019, 03:20:19 pm »

Grabbing some Windex now to clean the film off my TV screen that is keeping me from seeing that pretty green field.

Looks like a good day for some football in KC.    ;D

EastexHawg

« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2019, 03:37:21 pm »

It's gonna take patience today because balls are going to squirt out of hands, receivers are going to fall down, passes that could have been big gainers or TDs are going to be dropped. 

Anything could happen.  I think it could be a blowout either way, depending on who gets the breaks.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2019, 03:47:51 pm »

Chiefs 90yd drive 7-0,  ;D

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2019, 04:02:53 pm »

Canít stop an RPO offense if officials let OL go downfield before qb pulls ball out and throws.  Chiefs center 5+ yards downfield when pass thrown.  How the Eagles O was so effective last season. 

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2019, 04:26:34 pm »

Canít stop an RPO offense if officials let OL go downfield before qb pulls ball out and throws.  Chiefs center 5+ yards downfield when pass thrown.  How the Eagles O was so effective last season.

17-0 Chiefs  2nd Qtr, 12:13.. Ha!

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2019, 04:29:55 pm »

17-0 Chiefs  2nd Qtr, 12:13.. Ha!

Watching. Ha!

Dr. Starcs

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2019, 04:54:36 pm »

Yeah that chiefs defense is god awful yíall have been whining about all season. Lol

12 plays for 21 yards for the colts with 1:30 left in the first half. Zero first downs.

EastexHawg

« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2019, 07:01:00 pm »

Defense played great.  Offense is now the first to score 25 or more in every regular season game and the divisional round of the playoffs.

Big win over the hottest team in the league coming in.  I think the Chiefs are going to be tough next week in Arrowhead.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2019, 07:20:38 pm »

Defense played great.  Offense is now the first to score 25 or more in every regular season game and the divisional round of the playoffs.

Big win over the hottest team in the league coming in.  I think the Chiefs are going to be tough next week in Arrowhead.

I agree.....

Boarcephus

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Houston, hell no we ain't forgettin!!
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2019, 07:39:17 pm »

I've enjoyed watching Mahomes as much as I have any QB in years.  He's a breath of fresh air.  Loved how he helped push the RB over the goal line on the last play. 

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2019, 07:40:37 pm »

Go Pats or Chargers!

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2019, 11:55:46 am »

It's the obvious argument to say that Mahomes' success was easier because of the All-Pros around him, but that ignores the possibility that they are first team All-Pros because they had a much better QB who helped them get the stats that elevated them to All-Pro.  Travis Kelce caught 20 more passes for 250 more yards in 2018 than 2017 and Tyreek Hill had 300 more receiving yards than a year ago.

Nothing happens in a vacuum.  Jerry Rice might be, in my opinion, the greatest player in the history of the NFL (there are of course other candidates but he is at or near the top of the list).  Would he have been the greatest, or at least had the stats to make his case, if he had played with Dave Krieg or Kerry Collins instead of Joe Montana and Steve Young?

Right now the Chiefs have Kelce, Hill, journeymen receivers to go with them, and barely serviceable running backs.  If Kareem Hunt hadn't screwed up and been suspended they would be close to unstoppable on offense.  I don't know Sammy Watkins' injury status but if he comes back that will help.  One great thing about Mahomes is that he spreads the ball around and doesn't depend on one or two receivers.  If you are open be ready because it's coming your way.

This isn't the same offense that started the season but it may be good enough to get through the AFC if the defense can be just somewhat poor instead of disastrously bad.

That's one, 15 yard pass more per game.

If Kelce went from some some 250 yard total before Mahomes and then exploded to a 800 yard TE after, you'd have more of an argument. Kelce was already a first team all pro when Alex Smith was tossing him passes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_All-Pro_Team

Hill went from 600 yards to nearly 1200 yards while still playing under Alex Smith and from 10 ypc to 16 ypc. He increased another 300 yards and one more yard per catch with Mahomes. Factor in that he missed a game last season, that's about 1 catch for 14 yards more per game with each catch going for one more yard than the previous year. His td's greatly increased due to Mahomes increasing the volume of passes thrown. However, Hill's share of the td's  decreased slightly.

You like to talk about Watkins, but compare him to most any other team's #2 receiver and most other offenses are doing much worse with their #2.

So, no, in no way, shape, or form can one argue that these player are only here because of Mahomes making them look better. Hill was already all pro as a returner and his stats were really good before Mahomes ever took a snap in KC. Kelce was already first team all pro at TE as well. They also already had a 2nd team all pro tackle on the OL. Of course, on the other side, it's also quite evident that Mahomes is not ONLY where he is because of the talent around but, but instead, has clearly showed that he deserves recognitions for this season on his own merits as well. All of them would be very successful on any other team. However, being together, they each elevate the others level of success.

As for the chicken or the egg with Montana and Rice? Same thing. I'd wager that without rice, Montana would still very much be in the HoF but perhaps not had the distinction of GOAT. Similarly for Rice. He'd very likely have been a HoF receiver no matter where he played, but would probably be beneath the likes of Moss on the GOAT list as well.

You put Mahomes on one of those Jeff Fisher Rams teams and he may not even be pro bowl qb. (Also can't neglect how good Andy Reid's coaching has been). However, what you would have is an acceleration of Fisher getting fired there and and an offensive coach being hired because even with bad coaching and lower talent levels surrounding him, the owner would clearly see that they have somebody worth building around.

cosmodrum

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2019, 05:11:01 pm »

If the defense can play that well against the Pats then Chiefs win. That said, I see Brady getting the ball out too quick for our pass rush to matter. Playoff Pats terrify me. I dont care where the game is. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2019, 06:28:30 pm »

Just saw where this is the first time in the past 67 starts for Brady that his patriots wonít be favored.

hawkhawg

« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2019, 06:30:55 pm »

Mahomes is the first Big 12 QB to win a Playoff game.

EastexHawg

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2019, 10:14:49 pm »

I love how people who have been arguing all year about how good Mahomes is are still trying.  "First team All-Pro?  So what?"

"NFL MVP?  Pshaw!"

"People all over the place who have observed, played, and coached the game marveling at his arm strength and playmaking ability?  It's not Mahomes, it's the guys around him!"

There's something to be said about being determined to be right no matter what.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas