• 9,973,827 Posts
• 400,382 Topics
• 22,943 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Patrick Mahomes  (Read 981 times)

EastexHawg

Patrick Mahomes
« on: September 16, 2018, 02:07:46 pm »

One drive into the 3rd quarter against the Steelers he is 11 of 14 for 193 yards and 4 TDs.  Basically a game and a half into his career as the full time starter he has 8 TD passes and 0 interceptions.

I remember when he was a senior at Whitehouse High School and I posted on MMQB that he was an INCREDIBLE talent with Razorback ties who could probably had with an offer.  Some of the same experts who are telling everyone how is going to go now laughed at me and assured me that Bielema and his staff were "on better quarterbacks".  One of them was Rafe Peavey.

How did that work out?

k.c.hawg

Re: Patrick Mahomes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 03:53:35 pm »

As a 24 year Chiefs season ticket holder Iím in euphoria. The Chiefs made their first serious attempt to draft a franchise QB and he is a student of the game and seems to have actually re-energized Andy Reid. He is articulate, fits in great in the community, and looks like he has a chance at stardom. To go to Chargers and Steelersvinnthe first 2 weeks and go 10 TDís 0 Int is quite remarkable......and most importantly 2-0.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

EastexHawg

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 04:19:20 pm »

The kid just has it.  Anyone who saw him in junior high or high school knew it.  He was the best high school player in Texas despite playing QB less than two full seasons.  He was also a high major league prospect in baseball, leading his team to the brink of a state championship, and a 20 point, 10 rebound guy in basketball in his spare time.

He should have been a top contender for the Heisman and in fact ran Baker Mayfield away from Tech because he knew he couldn't compete with Mahomes for the starting job.  The same went for Davis Webb, who bailed for Cal.

During his junior year Mahomes' Whitehouse team played Greg Ward and a loaded, perennial power John Tyler for the district title.  Mahomes was a man among boys.  His teammates couldn't stop John Tyler from scoring but they didn't have to.  He passed and, when needed, ran through them to win by something like 58-56. 

At that time he didn't have any major college offers.  If only someone had thought to check out a QB who was blowing up the best 5A district in Texas...and whose dad had signed with the Razorbacks at one time.  But maybe they were too busy tweeting and going after guys from tiny programs in internationally renowned Missouri high school football.

#uncommonlyincompetentandlazy

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 05:03:41 pm »

Winning in 5A Texas football bigly can just as easily get you a college qb that goes 0/3 and a pick 6.

Mahomes was a great pickup for the Chiefs, who very wisely let him sit and learn for a year behind a very good qb in Alex Smith. Mahomes displayed a powerful arm and very good athleticism at TTU. However, he never really faced any good defenses and the speed of the game in college is way slower than the NFL.

Having that redshirt year helped him learn how to play at the NFL level and speed, and rather than be another high physical talent, low mental preparation qb, he now has the mental readiness to properly utilize his physical tools, and dear god he tore the steelers a new one today.

EastexHawg

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:29:36 pm »

Winning in 5A Texas football bigly can just as easily get you a college qb that goes 0/3 and a pick 6.

I know where you are going, but Mahomes was 6'3" and about 215 with maybe the strongest arm in football...all of football, including the NFL.  He was the Player Of The Year in Texas as a senior...all divisions, including 6A.

Anyone who bothered to watch him and saw that arm knew he was special.  Really special, as in putting up 734 yards through the air and something like 820 yards of total offense against Oklahoma.

There is no comparison between Mahomes and the QB to whom you are alluding.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 08:18:55 pm »

When you here him speak he sounds like a 7 year NFL QB. He has It. Our defense sucks and Andy knows there is little he can do but anguish over it so when the offense came off today he was sitting on the bench with Mahomes and a tablet. They looked like father and son building a model airplane. Heís going to make mistakes and lose games but after 24 years Iím just giddy to have our own young guy that has all the tools!! The pass he made over the top, down the sideline to the fullback Sherman last week as sick. He protected Kelse on a slant to the end zone today throwing it just at his left elbow so when he twisted back to make the catch, the defender coming across his face missed him. Son and son in law will be in town this weekend for us to get that live look against San Fran.

alohawg

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 02:04:32 am »

He is definitely the next big thing at qb in the NFL. The best 2 game start in history after today,  wow.

Buff

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • My avatar was the owner throwing the horns
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 07:41:59 pm »

I remember him having a great game in college in 2015

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 12:28:31 am »

I know where you are going, but Mahomes was 6'3" and about 215 with maybe the strongest arm in football...all of football, including the NFL.  He was the Player Of The Year in Texas as a senior...all divisions, including 6A.

Anyone who bothered to watch him and saw that arm knew he was special.  Really special, as in putting up 734 yards through the air and something like 820 yards of total offense against Oklahoma.

There is no comparison between Mahomes and the QB to whom you are alluding.

I'm not comparing the two. I'm wondering why on earth HS success was brought up in a freaking NFL thread. It's like saying "I knew little bobby was going to grow up to be a scientist because he got an A in a third grade exam..."

It's just weird to bring that up when, you know, there's way more relevant information to bring up. I mean, there's probably 100 qb's in HS right now who have his size and arm strength and everything. However, one, maybe up to 3 of them would have the mental acuity and internal drive/passion to end up where Mahomes is now.

EastexHawg

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 09:24:29 pm »

100 current high school QBs have Mahomes' arm strength?  Really? 

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 10:00:55 pm »

100 current high school QBs have Mahomes' arm strength?  Really?

Mahomes has a good arm, but his throwing power isn't exactly off the charts. When it comes to throwing the ball as hard as you possibly can with the ball velocity measured by a radar gun, Brandon Allen has the same arm strength as Mahomes.

http://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-NFL-Combine-2008-2017/10243/dh/

In the four NFL combine classes leading up to and including Mahomes', there were 28 qb prospects who matched or surpassed Mahomes's throw velocity. When you consider that most starting qb's don't get invited to the combine, then factor in that there's a number of strong armed qb's who are backups because they aren't as accurate or good at reading/decision making, and then factor in how many players in HS don't make it to college or change position, yeah, it's quite likely that the number is somewhere near 100. Not in any single recruiting class mind you, but in all of HS football? Especially when you factor in that throwing is largely a natural quality in an athlete, such that when you watch somebody like Brandon Allen or Ty Storey from their sophomore year to their days in college, their throwing power doesn't really change much. Their ability to consistently throw well due to improved footwork and their ability to use their cannon improves, but you see those kids throw the ball 30 yards downfield on a rope when they are young.

EastexHawg

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 10:27:02 pm »

I'm not sure why I am even bothering to argue this with you, but...

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/3/10/14890754/cleveland-browns-2017-nfl-scouting-combine-qb-velocity

Mahomes 60
Webb 59
Kizer 56
Trubisky, Evans 55
Peterman, Kaaya 53
Watson 49

For years the fastest velocity at the combine since measurements began was Colin Kaepernick at 59 mph.  Logan Thomas from Virginia Tech broke the record with 60 mph in I think 2014.  Mahomes threw it 60 in 2017.

And then there is this... Mahomes throwing it 62 mph on camera:

https://youtu.be/HbXhUHIFRkg

Everyone in America who watches football knows that Patrick Mahomes has not only one of the strongest arms in the game today, but one of the strongest anyone has ever seen.  And yet...according to you there are 100 high schoolers whose arms are better.

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 09:54:50 am »

He isnít saying they are better qbs.  He is just saying that there are many with his arm strength.  There is a lot more to being a good QB than just his arm strength. 

EastexHawg

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 10:23:23 pm »

He isnít saying they are better qbs.  He is just saying that there are many with his arm strength.  There is a lot more to being a good QB than just his arm strength. 

Where are they?  You just saw Mahomes throw a pass 62 mph, which is faster than anyone in the history of the NFL combine if not all of football.

And yet there are 100 high school QBs who have stronger arms?

Are you listening to the argument you are making?  Because frankly it's absurd.

By the way, I wonder how many QBs, high school or otherwise, convert huge third downs by switching the ball to their off hands and completing a pass with Von Miller pulling them down.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

• That's nice.... Real nice!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 10:26:09 pm »

That was one of the most amazing displays of athletic ability I've witnessed. This kid is something else.

holeinthewall

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 07:36:18 am »

By the way, I wonder how many QBs, high school or otherwise, convert huge third downs by switching the ball to their off hands and completing a pass with Von Miller pulling them down.

I can actually throw accurate with my off arm for about 15 yards.  But I have to think about the arm movement to make it happen.  No way I could while running and being hit.

EastexHawg

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 10:29:09 am »

Tiger Woods was swinging a golf club like an adult on the Mike Douglas Show when he was four years old.  Jack Nicklaus shot in the 60s at Scioto, a course that has hosted the U.S. Open, the PGA, and the Ryder Cup when he was 13 years old.  Most truly exceptional athletes showed glimpses of what was to come when they were mere kids.

Anyone who saw Mahomes play...in any sport...when he was a teenager knew that he was an exceptional talent.  Not just a great player, but a truly remarkable talent.  On top of that he was always a serious and focused kid who never seemed to get rattled no matter what was happening around him or how big the situation.  I'm not saying what he has done so far is predictable because no one could predict 14 TD passes and 0 interceptions, or a left handed pass on the dead run on a must-have third down with the best pass rusher in the NFL dragging him down, but at the same time when you look at someone who is truly special it doesn't surprise you to see him do great things.

I remember sitting in DWRRS watching a totally unremarkable blowout win over Weber State in 2001 when a freshman QB came in the game.  He took off running to his right and I was immediately out of my seat as he took it to the house from (as I recall) 59 yards.  I turned to the people around me and yelled/asked "what the heck was that?  What do we have here?!"  The speed, the moves, the explosiveness...

Of course it was Matt Jones.  I didn't know much about him, but as that game and the next few games unfolded I knew that I had never seen anyone like him in a Razorback uniform.  You don't have to be a genius to realize when you are seeing a remarkable talent.  The talent speaks for itself.

EastexHawg

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 07:26:01 pm »

Brett Favre, John Elway, Tony Romo ... NONE of these dudes had the ability to chuck the pigskin like Patrick Mahomes does -- so says ex-Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil.

"His overall ability to throw the ball in any body position is the best I've ever seen," the legendary coach tells TMZ Sports.

Mahomes just won his fifth straight start ... killin' the Broncos on Monday night -- and when we spoke with Vermeil about it, he couldn't have been more impressed.

"He's so flexible, body-wise," Vermeil says.

"He can twist his hips and kick his legs and turn his shoulders, and all three variations are going different directions, and he throws the ball accurately anyway. It's amazing!"

Remember ... Vermeil's coached Pro Bowlers like Kurt Warner, Ron Jaworski and Trent Green -- so it's some seriously high praise.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/10/02/dick-vermeil-patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-quarterback/

Dick Vermeil must not have heard about those 100 high schoolers.

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 10:57:51 am »

http://www.tmz.com/2018/10/02/dick-vermeil-patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-quarterback/

Dick Vermeil must not have heard about those 100 high schoolers.

No, but he DID let Marky Mark play on his kickoff team for awhile.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 10:58:12 am »

Fun times being a Chiefs fan and living in KC right now!!!

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 10:32:03 pm »

I'm not sure why I am even bothering to argue this with you, but...

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/3/10/14890754/cleveland-browns-2017-nfl-scouting-combine-qb-velocity

Mahomes 60
Webb 59
Kizer 56
Trubisky, Evans 55
Peterman, Kaaya 53
Watson 49

For years the fastest velocity at the combine since measurements began was Colin Kaepernick at 59 mph.  Logan Thomas from Virginia Tech broke the record with 60 mph in I think 2014.  Mahomes threw it 60 in 2017.

And then there is this... Mahomes throwing it 62 mph on camera:

https://youtu.be/HbXhUHIFRkg

Everyone in America who watches football knows that Patrick Mahomes has not only one of the strongest arms in the game today, but one of the strongest anyone has ever seen.  And yet...according to you there are 100 high schoolers whose arms are better.

You have your link and I have mine.

Under perfect, no-stress conditions, Mahomes was able to throw the ball 78 yards tossing the ball as hard as he could. Rodgers, who for sure isn't even top three, and probably not even the top 5 strongest arms in the NFL, was able to throw the ball 75 yards in the air in live game action, and didn't even get as much as he possibly could on the ball due to being under pressure and not being able to use proper form.

Mahomes no doubt has a strong arm. Definitely top 10 in the NFL right now. However, claiming he has THE strongest arm, not just now, but in the entire history of the game? Let me guess, you probably also think that John Ross is the fastest player in the NFL too, because in shorts and a shirt, he broke the record at the NFL combine with a 4.22 forty yard dash. Turns out, nobody ran faster last season than Leonard Fournette who "only" clocked a 4.51 at that same combine. Even as of week 1 this season, Ross only clocked the third fastest speed when wearing actual pads, which was still over 2 mph slower than Fournette's top speed last year. Same way I'm not saying Mahomes doesn't have a cannon arm, I'm not saying Ross isn't among the fastest players. But, running a track meet isn't playing football and neither is throwing a pigskin in a parking lot.

EastexHawg

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 11:16:29 pm »

62 mph.  You saw it, I saw it. 

Dick Vermeil, who was probably an NFL coach with a Pro Bowl QB...nicknamed The Polish Rifle, by the way...before you were alive..."His  overall ability to throw the ball in any position is the best I have ever seen."

And yet...you are still arguing.  Why?

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 11:17:49 pm »

kid is good, doesn't hurt that he was an effective pitcher in college either

PP

#1 STUNNA

imtad16

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 09:38:39 pm »

Having his worst game and still only trail by 1 in Foxboro. No wonder this guy basically beat us by himself in Fayettville.

imtad16

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 09:54:06 pm »

Tremon Smith from UCA almost takes one to the house on a KOR for KC.

EastexHawg

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2018, 10:28:41 am »

Seven straight 300 yard passing games, two short of the NFL record.  Most TD passes ever in a QB's first nine NFL games.

What else is there to say about this kid?

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2018, 10:49:00 am »

Seven straight 300 yard passing games, two short of the NFL record.  Most TD passes ever in a QB's first nine NFL games.

What else is there to say about this kid?

He's ugly?

EastexHawg

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2018, 11:23:49 am »

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2018, 12:15:37 pm »

That hair has got to go.

He's just not a very attractive man. 

EastexHawg

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2018, 12:43:50 pm »

He's just not a very attractive man. 

Are you saying he would have fit in perfectly with the 1980s Boston Celtics?

EastexHawg

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2018, 02:44:42 pm »

I keep waiting for the officials to just pick up the ball, run it across the goal line for the Browns, and do a Fun Bunch end zone celebration.  They have tried their best to keep Cleveland in this game.

TushCrush

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2018, 11:47:43 am »

I can't remember seeing an NFL team with this many legit weapons.
They remind me of The Greatest Show on Turf.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 12:19:11 pm »

I can't remember seeing an NFL team with this many legit weapons.
They remind me of The Greatest Show on Turf.

The Chiefs are the most fun to watch team in the NFL this year.. 

TushCrush

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 03:18:21 pm »

The Chiefs are the most fun to watch team in the NFL this year.. 
I'm a Saints fan and I almost agree.
My take is nothing is more fun than watching Alvin Kamara  8)

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2018, 04:45:40 pm »

They are a good team.  Andy Reed will find a way to lose the game in the playoff that keeps them from going to the Super Bowl. 

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2018, 05:07:37 pm »

They are a good team.  Andy Reed will find a way to lose the game in the playoff that keeps them from going to the Super Bowl.

Hard to argue that... 

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2018, 12:38:58 pm »

1st 3 plays of the game today against Cardinals. 37yd Pass to Hill , Incomplete pass , 38yd TD pass to Hill.   crazy

another 14yd TD pass to Hill, then Hill jumps in the stands and takes over CBS camera- - 15yd Unsportmanlike Penalty..  HA!

MahOmes sets new Chiefs Record for Passing TD's in a season ( 31 )- Set by Len Dawson in 1964...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 01:12:41 pm by 99toLife »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas