• 9,971,074 Posts
• 400,307 Topics
• 22,941 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: On Fans Booing, Empty Seats, Better Coaches, Better Players, and Winning  (Read 8105 times)

WilsonHog

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian

None of this exists in a vacuum.

Our fans are frustrated. Some are demonstrating that frustration by not showing up for games, others by booing.

Our football team is a bad one. Our players are pissed at fans. One statement often is that we need to hire better coaches. Other fans say we need to sign better players.

FOTH related a story about the parents of two recruits he talked to last year at one of our games, and who questioned the size of our crowd. They ultimately signed with LSU and Florida. Was that the sole reason why? I am sure it wasn't; probably didn't help, though.

Today we have the parent of one of our best players saying that his son's decision to attend UA would definitely have been swayed by what he witnessed yesterday.

Some of you may argue that we don't need players who would let booing or lack of attendance impact which school they sign with. Is that reality, or just what you rationalize?

Doesn't matter where you begin on the cycle; hiring great coaches, signing great players, winning at a high level, having great fan support for every game. It's all interrelated, with one feeding off the other.

Food for thought. 

Hogwallup

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: On Fans Booing, Hiring Better Coaches, and Recruiting Better Players
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 01:30:54 pm »

It's a Catch-22: the fans say they need a better team to go to the games, the coaches will say they need more fans to get a better team.

Tough situation, but teams like LSU and Florida have dug themselves out of similar holes in the past. Hell, Florida is giving away season tickets this season.

The difference is we probably can't recruit our way out of it. Have to rely on a quality coach to turn things around.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

vandybuff

• All-American Hogvillian
Re: On Fans Booing, Empty Seats, Better Coaches, Better Players, and Winning
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 01:31:23 pm »

IMO never boo the kids. 

rtr

• Hogvillian
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 01:32:37 pm »

Our fans are frustrated. Some are demonstrating that frustration by not showing up for games, others by booing.

Our football team is a bad one. Our players are pissed at fans. One statement often is that we need to hire better coaches. Other fans say we need to sign better players.

FOTH related a story about the parents of two recruits he talked to last year at one of our games, and who questioned the size of our crowd. They ultimately signed with LSU and Florida. Was that the sole reason why? I am sure it wasn't; probably didn't help, though.

Today we have the parent of one of our best players saying that his son's decision to attend UA would definitely have been swayed by what he witnessed yesterday.

Some of you may argue that we don't need players who would let booing or lack of attendance impact which school they sign with. Is that reality, or just what you rationalize?

Doesn't matter where you begin on the cycle; hiring great coaches, signing great players, winning at a high level, having great fan support for every game. It's all interrelated, with one feeding off the other.

Food for thought. 

It looks like we are caught in a vicious cycle and I really see no way out.

TheEnemy

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 01:37:33 pm »

We need for players to be mentally strong and focus on their play.....not whine about the actions of a few fans.

Hogwallup

• Varsity
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 01:38:29 pm »

When the going gets tough, the tough get going... or the tough complain about the fans not appreciating the little effort the tough put into the game... I can't remember what the saying is.

Redhogs

• Time to cruise.
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 01:41:04 pm »

Food for thought.
Here's more food for thought..most of us would have been happy with a 5-7 or 6-6 season and showing some sort of improvement somewhere this season...is that unreasonable ..I don't know, sure didn't think so 3 weeks ago. As far as booing, it's not my thing but if you think that will make a serious difference with a quality players decision to sign with a 1-11 team, then I just disagree.   Hasn't hurt LSU, Tx or many other teams when things go bad...they expect to win...and we just don't.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 01:41:12 pm »

We need for players to be mentally strong and focus on their play.....not whine about the actions of a few fans.

we need fans that are mentally tough enough to be able to take some losses without booing the coaches who have been here now for 3 games or the players who all could whip the fans one armed.

hawg IQ

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 01:43:41 pm »

I couldnít figure if it was the team or the play called. But one thing that punt run back set the tone on fanís frustration

Beaverfever

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 01:44:03 pm »

The idea that Arkansas fans are hard to please is beyond ridiculous.  Go to some LSU or Auburn games.  Those people are ruthless. 

Marshfieldhog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 01:45:13 pm »

we need fans that are mentally tough enough to be able to take some losses without booing the coaches who have been here now for 3 games or the players who all could whip the fans one armed.

We just got smoked by North Texas 44-17 and it could have been worse. At Home. I donít blame fans for booing. We are a joke.

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 01:45:27 pm »

Fans have a right to boo.

There are many things in life we have the right to do that are neither smart or productive.

TheEnemy

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 01:47:04 pm »

I'm not a fan of the fans....

I want a team mentally tough enough to handle adversity.

Complaining about the fans is just a symptom of why this team is failing.  They got to grow up and toughen up fast.....you would expect seniors to know this.

rtr

• Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 01:47:40 pm »

I think the players have other things to worry about other than fans booing.  I don't like it but I am surprised there was not more booing.  What is scary is apathy is setting in and we will be sitting with a state of the art stadium and no one will be in the stands.

hawgball40

• #wps4life
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 01:49:14 pm »

Fans have a right to boo.

There are many things in life we have the right to do that are neither smart or productive.
that's a good point, and i think you are right. Not easy to admit, but all this booing and negativity is somewhat counterproductive.. especially if you want the coach and players to salvage the season. But i don't think arkansas fans want that at all. In fact, i think 80% of hog fans are ready for the coach to be fired immediately. My facebook and twitter feeds are filled to the brim with people calling for his firing.

rtr

• Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 01:52:18 pm »

I'm not sure that was good PR on the University's part to let the players go out and make those statements.

Oliver

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 01:56:50 pm »

If what happened yesterday occurred at a program like Bama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Ohio St, etc the result would be worse than booing. What happened yesterday was shameful.  And no Iím not talking about our fans that booed after spending a lot of money to make the trip to watch a complete disaster.   Iím talking about watching 3 hours of little to no effort and discombobulation which led to us getting whipped by a Sun Belt team.  That should make fans furious but it should make the players even more angry.  But they are the ones that can control what happens on the field. To me itís disgusting that some of our players attacked our fans after yesterdayís performance.  Not only do they have no leg to stand on when it came to that performance but they should be grateful that as many people were there to watch that in person.  If they think theyíd get a different reaction at a better program, I wish them good luck

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 01:57:15 pm »

that's a good point, and i think you are right. Not easy to admit, but all this booing and negativity is somewhat counterproductive.. especially if you want the coach and players to salvage the season. But i don't think arkansas fans want that at all. In fact, i think 80% of hog fans are ready for the coach to be fired immediately. My facebook and twitter feeds are filled to the brim with people calling for his firing.

all goes back to the unbelievably unrealistic expectations many hog fans have. Just go back to the pre season, any mention of it being a less than 5 win season was met with talk of how that was stupid, how this team was really talented and just needed rid of the lack of coaching from BB and staff, how with the schedule this could be a 8-9 win team, blah blah blah. How when they were picked last in the secw, when some publication said they'd go 0-8 in the SEC that these people just hate the Hogs and that they did not know what they were talking about.
They knew EXACTLY what they wee talking about. That this team is full of slow undersized inexperienced players. For the 3rd time in 6 seasons, they are starting a tr fr at MLB, and that is just one example of how thin the team really is.

luke hawg

• Senior
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 02:00:09 pm »

The booing doesn't matter in regards to signing players with offers from LSU and Florida. We haven't beaten either of those teams out for talent since joining the conference. We are selling early playing time in the SEC with phenomenal facilities to kids in our region. If we can start winning, we can sell our fanbase. We are void of talent at an epic level.

rtr

• Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 02:01:57 pm »

For the 3rd time in 6 seasons, they are starting a tr fr at MLB, and that is just one example of how thin the team really is.

Reminds me of Jerry Franklin when he started as a freshman and all 4 years.  He was one of my favorite Razorbacks.  Always around the ball making big plays. It never hurts to looks back on better times when we are in the midst of a dark age.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 02:15:01 pm by rtr »

bondhue

• Senior
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 02:02:07 pm »

The games I've been to in the past 4 years (all in NWA) I saw two types of fans.  The most prevalent type was texting, chatting, taking selfies, and showing off their fine clothes.  The less prevalent type was watching the action and actually talking about what was gong on.

One type would be more prone to frustration about on the field action.  They understand a missed tackle, a whiffed block, throwing into double coverage, failure to set the edge, and most of all lack of effort.   They will probably be less inclined to keep attending if they keep seeing those things.  So, as others have said, there will be less booing in the future.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 02:04:45 pm »

The games I've been to in the past 4 years (all in NWA) I saw two types of fans.  The most prevalent type was texting, chatting, taking selfies, and showing off their fine clothes.  The less prevalent type was watching the action and actually talking about what was gong on.

One type would be more prone to frustration about on the field action.  They understand a missed tackle, a whiffed block, throwing into double coverage, failure to set the edge, and most of all lack of effort.   They will probably be less inclined to keep attending if they keep seeing those things.  So, as others have said, there will be less booing in the future.

why the latter type is not out coaching a team on Saturdays in some college is really beyond me it they REALLY understand all those things.

kodiakisland

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 02:05:02 pm »

Fans have very little means of showing displeasure with a program.  One is to stop supporting the program.  Don't go to games, don't buy team merchandise, stop contributing to the foundation.  The other is verbal.  Call sports radio shows and complain, write letters, emails, call, or boo at the game.

What is the appropriate response for fans to have once they've reached their limit?

I tend to be a fan who votes with his wallet.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 02:08:13 pm »

Fans have very little means of showing displeasure with a program.  One is to stop supporting the program.  Don't go to games, don't buy team merchandise, stop contributing to the foundation.  The other is verbal.  Call sports radio shows and complain, write letters, emails, call, or boo at the game.

What is the appropriate response for fans to have once they've reached their limit?

I tend to be a fan who votes with his wallet.

which response do you think brings about change ( i'll give you a hint, it aint bubba jack calling dts and stuttering through an incoherent ramble for 2 minutes before rr does a dubblebees promo ).

kodiakisland

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 02:09:19 pm »

I'm not sure that was good PR on the University's part to let the players go out and make those statements.

No worse than what they did on the field.  We are in a downward spiral that we won't immediately come out of.  Recruits don't want to come to dumpster fires, whether it's in the stands or on the field.

wachhog

• Hogvillian
Re: On Fans Booing, Hiring Better Coaches, and Recruiting Better Players
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 02:10:22 pm »

It's a Catch-22: the fans say they need a better team to go to the games, the coaches will say they need more fans to get a better team.

Tough situation, but teams like LSU and Florida have dug themselves out of similar holes in the past. Hell, Florida is giving away season tickets this season.

The difference is we probably can't recruit our way out of it. Have to rely on a quality coach to turn things around.
Yes. Got to have a Bobby-level genius to turn this around. Donít know where you find him. Can lecture fans all you want; wonít make Ďem show up.

fullfan

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 02:16:30 pm »

Yep for me at least the Acceptance has set in.  Not a lot of hope for wins left on this year's schedule but hopefully there will be players that get coached up for future seasons.   I will never be through being a Razorback fan and know you don't change coaches this quickly.

Still planning to attend games and watch the away games on the TV.  Just thinking more about deer season now.

Note: Acceptance is not apathy.  Not even close.

hawg IQ

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 02:34:40 pm »

I agree, but the HC, offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator, along with special has to hit on every aspect. Itís their job !  Also the expectation from the fan base.  When things break down poor tackling, missed routes run, lack of o-line play. Botched punt coverage. It looks like poor coaching. So my point, fans should not boo, so was it the players or coaches on the boos ?

kodiakisland

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 02:37:08 pm »

which response do you think brings about change ( i'll give you a hint, it aint bubba jack calling dts and stuttering through an incoherent ramble for 2 minutes before rr does a dubblebees promo ).

I think cutting off the money flow, but they aren't too worried about what I'm spending, but if 20K people stop spending that small amount of money, then they might care.  As long as the program still brings in money, why change?

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2018, 02:45:19 pm »

Eight months leading up to this three-game "pre-season" and you have substantial elements of the fanbase who never made a break with the past.

We have fans who aren't over HDN being gone.

We have fans who aren't over Petrino being gone (dammit Bobby).

We have fans who aren't over Bielema being gone, and especially for the way he was let go.

About the only thing we have in common is "thank god John L Smith was only here one year."

A lot of work by UA (maybe), the GOBN (for sure), and the BOT (to some extent, at least) has been expended on who has a key to the front door of the program, but seems to have failed to manage everything else. We are a program in desperate need of some good PR and a location in the schedule that makes it damn tough to conceive of anything positive getting ready to happen.

oldhog63

• Senior
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 02:48:22 pm »

I don't know how anyone can say the Arkansas fans don't support the program. Go look at the list of the top most valuable college football programs and tell me which of those teams has had a worse record/less success than us in the last 10 years. 15 years.

St. Hogustine

• Bench Warmer
  • "In hog signo vinces!"
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2018, 03:01:13 pm »

A quick anecdote-

As a high school coach's son hanging around the locker room (too young to play at the time), occasionally players would tell me offhand "You know what we like about your dad?  He gets upset when we lose.  The rest of the coaches act like it's no big deal, but your dad- he gets angry."

Personal attacks on players are never ok.  That's a Hogville rule that should apply everywhere.  But when a recruit comes to visit, and we underperform, and every voice seems ok with that, I don't buy that a recruit with an ounce of competitive spirit sees that as team loyalty/support and not complacency.

If I'm a recruit, and I visit a place where everyone is ok with getting their rears kicked, I don't go back to that place.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 03:11:04 pm »

all goes back to the unbelievably unrealistic expectations many hog fans have. Just go back to the pre season, any mention of it being a less than 5 win season was met with talk of how that was stupid, how this team was really talented and just needed rid of the lack of coaching from BB and staff, how with the schedule this could be a 8-9 win team, blah blah blah. How when they were picked last in the secw, when some publication said they'd go 0-8 in the SEC that these people just hate the Hogs and that they did not know what they were talking about.
They knew EXACTLY what they wee talking about. That this team is full of slow undersized inexperienced players. For the 3rd time in 6 seasons, they are starting a tr fr at MLB, and that is just one example of how thin the team really is.

Win total aside, is it unrealistic to just expect your team to play hard and with discipline? To play fundamentally sound? I think that's all most fans would really like to see this year. Wins and losses may be forgiven at that point.

Oliver

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 03:17:20 pm »

Eight months leading up to this three-game "pre-season" and you have substantial elements of the fanbase who never made a break with the past.

We have fans who aren't over HDN being gone.

We have fans who aren't over Petrino being gone (dammit Bobby).

We have fans who aren't over Bielema being gone, and especially for the way he was let go.

About the only thing we have in common is "thank god John L Smith was only here one year."

A lot of work by UA (maybe), the GOBN (for sure), and the BOT (to some extent, at least) has been expended on who has a key to the front door of the program, but seems to have failed to manage everything else. We are a program in desperate need of some good PR and a location in the schedule that makes it damn tough to conceive of anything positive getting ready to happen.

The majority of our fans are fans that just want to win and don't care who gets us there.  I'll admit that I always thought Nutt and Bielema were terrible coaches and Petrino was a good coach. 

But I've never cared who took us to where we belong.  I'd sing the praises of Nutt or Bielema if they took us where we need to be. 

I'm open to Chad Morris being that guy.  I dont think there's any way he'll do that but I hope he does.  Most of our fan base just wants to win.  Playing style, defensive style, morals, etc all come second to that.

synthartist69

• Senior
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 03:23:42 pm »

And to think, Lane Kiffin wanted the job but we went with an unproven 14-22 coach for millions of dollars... that decision still amazes me.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 03:26:55 pm »

The majority of our fans are fans that just want to win and don't care who gets us there.  I'll admit that I always thought Nutt and Bielema were terrible coaches and Petrino was a good coach. 

But I've never cared who took us to where we belong.  I'd sing the praises of Nutt or Bielema if they took us where we need to be. 

I'm open to Chad Morris being that guy.  I dont think there's any way he'll do that but I hope he does.  Most of our fan base just wants to win.  Playing style, defensive style, morals, etc all come second to that.

That's fair.

ArkansasI

• '89 & '92
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2018, 04:07:03 pm »

Anyone that believes Razorback fans are reacting different than any other fans in comparable circumstances is grossly mistaken. The problems we've witnessed do not originate in the stands.

online-with-swine

• Blah, Blah, Blah
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 04:09:17 pm »

At least the fans care enough to boo.  When the fans get quiet, it means they are apathetic.  We are almost there.

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 04:10:51 pm »

IMO never boo the kids.

Thatís right. No matter what happens booing our team is wrong.

davehog

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2018, 04:37:21 pm »

It looks like we are caught in a vicious cycle and I really see no way out.

This.

If you think about it, we've been in this same cycle since the Danny Ford days.  Throw in a few "good" seasons by Razorback standards over the span of almost 3 full decades and we are right back where we were with Danny Ford. 

I just don't know how we are going to get out of this cycle.  Perhaps it's just perpetual and never ending.

I'm not sure you could find a fan base with more real reason to be frustrated than Razorback fans.   

MontanaBack

• Band Nerd
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2018, 04:45:20 pm »

Don't worry.  Soon enough there won't be anyone there to boo them.

swineology

• Hogvillian
  • WPS!
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2018, 04:45:53 pm »

I've supported for 29 years financially,  so I can boo the coach.

Deal with it, players

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2018, 04:50:28 pm »

I've supported for 29 years financially,  so I can boo the coach.

Deal with it, players

No. Players need to call it out every week.

Redhogs

• Time to cruise.
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2018, 04:52:07 pm »

Best post since the most recent embarrassment.

Redhogs

• Time to cruise.
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2018, 04:53:56 pm »

They might as well, they are not calling out anybody on the field.

bulldog04

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2018, 04:54:08 pm »

No, the players need to take advice from Joe Serrano and Trent Daniel and suck it up and play better

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2018, 04:54:47 pm »

No, the players need to take advice from Joe Serrano and Trent Daniel and suck it up and play better

Nope. Publicize every fan booing.

bulldog04

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2018, 04:55:47 pm »

Nope. Publicize every fan booing.
Probably need to take advice from a winning program

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 04:56:49 pm »

Probably need to take advice from a winning program

Winning will come eventually. Booingís got to stop now.

checkraiser88

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2018, 04:57:12 pm »

I hope the players continue to call it out the next time it happens.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas