• 9,880,261 Posts
• 398,142 Topics
• 22,800 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Oops He Did It Again  (Read 6787 times)

Sivad

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Oops He Did It Again
« on: September 16, 2018, 01:09:10 pm »

With his team and season in crisis, when the players and coaches board their charter and fly to Auburn, Alabama this Friday, will Chad Morris go FULL TILT BUGOUT on them again and instead jet off down to Texas to watch his son instead?

Deerhunter

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Oops He Did It Again
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 01:15:31 pm »

I have no problem with a father wanting to watch his son play ball.  With that said, he needs to be with this team and bring them together.  IMO his family living in a different state puts out the perception that he has not even bought in.  No way he can be 100% focused with his family living in a different state.  Plus he gets paid millions a year so sometimes you have to miss your kids activities . Heck I have to miss some of mine because of the weird hours and days I work. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

depressed_fan

• Varsity
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 01:16:38 pm »

I would imagine his son's more important to him than this team so yes. I'm not sure what difference it makes Auburn will beat us as bad as the want to.  They could beat us by 150 if they had too. What difference does it make what Chad does the night before. He'll have the game plan in place already

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 01:19:31 pm »

If the difference is the coach being with the team on fri night, then they are dong a terrible job of coaching throughout the week.

TeufelHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 01:27:05 pm »

Ummmm, it doesnít make one bit of difference whether he goes to watch his son play ball.  This team is gonna ďget clubbed like baby sealsĒ by everyone they play for the remainder of the season.  The players have a quitters mentality.

ZiaHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 01:29:53 pm »

If we were winning it would be a "lovely story" about a father and son and how dedicated our coach is. You're just looking for things to whine about.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 02:09:40 pm »

We are paying him $3.5M to be head coach, not to be a father.

Given that the program is spiraling down the drain it might be shrewd for Daddy to ride with the team to Auburn and then board a charter to Dallas.

LZH

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tight but Loose
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 02:14:35 pm »

I don't care that he spends his Friday nights watching his boy play ball. What got my attention is his entire family stayed in Dallas as if Fayetteville isn't good enough. Yes, I made a crack about it months ago, which was fairly accurate to be honest, but it still sends a message. Maybe the kids don't get it, but guys like me to do.

flynhog

• Senior
  • Tango
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 02:14:40 pm »

If you make him choose between his son or the HOGS, he's going to choose his son. 

checkraiser88

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 02:15:53 pm »

Given that the program is spiraling down the drain it might be shrewd for Daddy to ride with the team to Auburn and then board a charter to Dallas.

Yeah no fathering for 3 hours on a Friday night! Ridiculous, easy to use it also after a loss. Comes with the territory I suppose but I encourage him to continue to do it and not cave in

FANONTHEHILL

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 02:16:33 pm »

He can do both.  Fly with the team. Charter to Dallas from Birmingham. Be back late Friday.  Heís already said that thereís no additional prep on Friday. My only issue has ever been gettingon the team plane as their leader.  Builds unity which this team is in big time need of.

CDBHawg

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 02:17:36 pm »

Iím sure if he was aware that being a father was unacceptable while coaching at the UofA, he wouldíve probably declined.

You canít be serious.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 02:18:08 pm »

If the difference is the coach being with the team on fri night, then they are dong a terrible job of coaching throughout the week.

Results on the field suggest that the coaching going on throughout the week isn't working.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 02:19:10 pm »

Ummmm, it doesnít make one bit of difference whether he goes to watch his son play ball.  This team is gonna ďget clubbed like baby sealsĒ by everyone they play for the remainder of the season.  The players have a quitters mentality.

Well, when your brand new HC already has a quitters mentality, how do you expect the kids to change?

Hog Pharm

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 02:20:24 pm »

Some of our fans are as mentally weak as some of our players.

Hog Pharm

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 02:21:23 pm »

Results on the field suggest that the coaching going on throughout the week isn't working.

Or itís a massive transition that takes more than 3 games. Nah that canít be it.

parallaxpig

• Senior
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 02:21:44 pm »

With his team and season in crisis, when the players and coaches board their charter and fly to Auburn, Alabama this Friday, will Chad Morris go FULL TILT BUGOUT on them again and instead jet off down to Texas to watch his son instead?

Give it a rest....

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 02:22:23 pm »

Some of our fans are as mentally weak as some of our players.

Booing your own players in unacceptable, regardless o the situation.

The previous regime instilled a level of apathy in many of the fans. The new regime is going hammer down in the left lane of quitting and abysmal play.

Chad Morris 2018

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 02:24:03 pm »

yep because he isnít committed.

kodiakisland

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 02:24:29 pm »

Iím sure if he was aware that being a father was unacceptable while coaching at the UofA, he wouldíve probably declined.

You canít be serious.

No one is even remotely saying he can't be a father.  Many of us just find it strange.  My Dad was a coach, and it was understood that for 10-12 weeks the job came first.  It was what he was being paid for, and it wasn't close to CCM's salary.

Personally, I'd always encourage people to put their family first.  That means not taking jobs that require you to be gone for things you don't want to be gone for.  Or deliberately living in a different state from your family.

If the perception is that he's not 100% bought into the team during the season, how many players are reflecting that attitude?

If it was me, I'd have never left my family behind in the first place, but who knows what I'd do for enough money.

At this point, what does it matter for this year.  Will it continue next year?  Does his family ever plan to join him here?

CDBHawg

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 02:26:04 pm »

No one is even remotely saying he can't be a father.  Many of us just find it strange.  My Dad was a coach, and it was understood that for 10-12 weeks the job came first.  It was what he was being paid for, and it wasn't close to CCM's salary.

Personally, I'd always encourage people to put their family first.  That means not taking jobs that require you to be gone for things you don't want to be gone for.  Or deliberately living in a different state from your family.

If he's not 100% bought into the team during the season, how many players are reflecting that attitude?

If it was me, I'd have never left my family behind in the first place, but who knows what I'd do for enough money.

I was referencing a post that said we werenít paying him to be a father. The implication being that he is and itís a problem.

Several coaches are away from their teams on Friday nights before games on Saturday. Itís called recruiting and it happens non stop in college football

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 02:27:07 pm »

Or itís a massive transition that takes more than 3 games. Nah that canít be it.

It's absolutely a massive transition that will take more than 3 games. However, that has nothing to do with how terrible the play calling has been. How the coaching staff hasn't been able to even install 5 plays that the players can actually line up for. Calling a TO on a kickoff despite having the right number of players. Etc... Heck, Bielema had a more complex offense installed at this point in his regime that the players could actually execute. It was only a small fraction of what our offense would eventually become, same way I don't expect Morris to have a fully installed offense yet. However, I did expect that Morris would have been at least as skilled as Bielema at installing plays and at least as creative as Bielema, and was hoping, you know, that we might have at least improved in some of those areas.

Yes there's a learning and curve and there will be growing pains. I just expected Morris to be better at these things than Bielema was. Sadly I was wrong.

parallaxpig

• Senior
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 02:29:22 pm »

Now Iím more interested in this topic on why he thinks his son couldnít prosper at Fayetteville HS.

CoachVisor

• Varsity
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 02:31:12 pm »

Yeah no fathering for 3 hours on a Friday night! Ridiculous, easy to use it also after a loss. Comes with the territory I suppose but I encourage him to continue to do it and not cave in

You can't ask a player or team to commit or sacrifice if you are not willing to do it too....ESPECIALLY if you are a new first year coach that is trying to instill a level of TRUST and RESPECT.

Torqued pork

• I'm the baby daddy your Nana warned you about.
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 02:48:51 pm »

Let him see his son and let the fam live in Big D. The transition from Arkansas head coach to quality coach for Jerry and the Cowboys will be easier.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:18:44 pm by Torqued pork »

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 02:57:07 pm »

Military people sometimes have to be away from their families for long periods of times.  We expect them to continue their jobs, but we shouldnít expect a first time coach getting paid millions of dollars in the top conference to start showing that he gives a damn about the program? 

Your family wants to stay in Texas then either leave the program or let them know that this is your job and that you will have to be away from them for awhile throughout the year.

depressed_fan

• Varsity
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 03:15:12 pm »

It's absolutely a massive transition that will take more than 3 games. However, that has nothing to do with how terrible the play calling has been. How the coaching staff hasn't been able to even install 5 plays that the players can actually line up for. Calling a TO on a kickoff despite having the right number of players. Etc... Heck, Bielema had a more complex offense installed at this point in his regime that the players could actually execute. It was only a small fraction of what our offense would eventually become, same way I don't expect Morris to have a fully installed offense yet. However, I did expect that Morris would have been at least as skilled as Bielema at installing plays and at least as creative as Bielema, and was hoping, you know, that we might have at least improved in some of those areas.

Yes there's a learning and curve and there will be growing pains. I just expected Morris to be better at these things than Bielema was. Sadly I was wrong.

there's really not a lot he can do right now installing plays b/c the offensive line is not very good. It's gonna start with getting some better linemen in

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 03:22:57 pm »

Have you seen his NWA house? I donít think you throw down that kind of cash unless you plan on moving the family here at some point.

SemperFi

• FIRE CHAD MORRIS!
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 03:29:23 pm »

Spot on!

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2018, 03:29:39 pm »

Have you seen his NWA house? I donít think you throw down that kind of cash unless you plan on moving the family here at some point.

What do you expect him to live in?  Which coach has ever come here and bought a average house?  A very nice house here costs only a 3rd or even less than what he makes in a year so really itís not spending very much when you consider what his pay is. 

oldhog63

• Senior
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 03:46:16 pm »

Well, when your brand new HC already has a quitters mentality, how do you expect the kids to change?
Can you expand on that?

Ramtough

• Senior
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2018, 03:49:55 pm »

He might want to fly off and never return after next week!!

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 03:52:11 pm »

I don't have any problem with him going to Dallas on Friday nights.  He can fly with the team to wherever they're playing, charter to Dallas and be back in time for bed check. 

ricepig

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 03:54:20 pm »

What do you expect him to live in?  Which coach has ever come here and bought a average house?  A very nice house here costs only a 3rd or even less than what he makes in a year so really itís not spending very much when you consider what his pay is. 

He paid $3.8m for his house, more than his annual salary.

hog.goblin

• It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 03:56:43 pm »

IMO his family living in a different state puts out the perception that he has not even bought in.  No way he can be 100% focused with his family living in a different state.  Plus he gets paid millions a year so sometimes you have to miss your kids activities . Heck I have to miss some of mine because of the weird hours and days I work. 

Well he paid $3.8M for an 11,000 sq ft house in May.  I would say he has bought in to the area because he isnít selling that house quickly.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 03:59:39 pm »

Of course he will.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2018, 04:14:27 pm »

there's really not a lot he can do right now installing plays b/c the offensive line is not very good. It's gonna start with getting some better linemen in

The one has zero to do with the other. Having a bad OL would certainly decrease your effectiveness when you run the plays. But it in no way keeps you from being able to teach your players where to line up, or teaching new plays in general.

Hog Pharm

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 04:20:37 pm »

You can draw up all the plays you want but if you donít have the players to execute it then it doesnít matter. Bielema ran a run oriented offense and had the o line and RBs in his first year. Morris needs a QB, decent o line, and more size and speed at WR. He has none of that which is why our offense looks so disjointed.

Dtechman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 04:23:46 pm »

He can do both.  Fly with the team. Charter to Dallas from Birmingham. Be back late Friday.  Heís already said that thereís no additional prep on Friday. My only issue has ever been gettingon the team plane as their leader.  Builds unity which this team is in big time need of.
Judging by results on the field he needs to do some additional prep work, not be enjoying Friday night lights

King Kong

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2018, 04:25:38 pm »

Agreed

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2018, 04:30:12 pm »

If you make him choose between his son or the HOGS, he's going to choose his son. 

Exactly!  I like it in normal circumstances when a father wants to spend time with his son.  But in this case, this is why he's getting paid and insane amount of money to do a job and do it all the way, 100% bought in, not 90% bought in.  The bot hired the wrong coach, and we the fans are now stuck with at least 4 years of this.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2018, 04:31:27 pm »

Can you expand on that?

We saw a lot of energy with Morris when it came to going to different HS's and recruiting. However, where has the energy been in relation to installing more than 3 plays? Where was the winning mentality against EIU where we barely won the 2nd half of the game 17-14? Where was the winning mentality when we decided to punt? When we decided to take our foot off the gas against CSU? When we started calling plays scared? How about when Morris was spending most of that 4th quarter against CSU staring as blankly as Bielema? Where was the winning mentality against NT? At least Nutt was able to have some fire and instill the fire into his teams even though his faults were far and numerous. Morris's halftime interview after losing to NT worse than we usually lose to Bama went "welp, geeze, we aren't playing like we should. I sure hope we get better." He leaves his team on the eve of battle.

In short, this guy visibly lights up when talking about HS coaches coming to practice or going out and talking about high school players. However, he just doesn't carry that same energy whenever talking about college players or game planning or the such. I guess I misspoke when I said he has a quitter's mentality as a college HC. I think he just doesn't have a college HC mentality to begin with.

hogfansince79

• Senior
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2018, 04:33:02 pm »

Still beating this dead horse, huh?  You must of been one insecure kid when you were young.

Hogman2

• Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2018, 04:36:25 pm »

I have no problem with a father wanting to watch his son play ball.  With that said, he needs to be with this team and bring them together.  IMO his family living in a different state puts out the perception that he has not even bought in.  No way he can be 100% focused with his family living in a different state.  Plus he gets paid millions a year so sometimes you have to miss your kids activities . Heck I have to miss some of mine because of the weird hours and days I work.
How many years have YOU coached an SEC football team? IF my kid could play for a great football program in Texas, I would not move them to the lower level of  football programs in Arkansas!  WE may need his son to play QB in a few years!

N HOG

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2018, 04:40:40 pm »

I would imagine his son's more important to him than this team so yes. I'm not sure what difference it makes Auburn will beat us as bad as the want to.  They could beat us by 150 if they had too. What difference does it make what Chad does the night before. He'll have the game plan in place already

There's a game plan?

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2018, 04:46:00 pm »

You can draw up all the plays you want but if you donít have the players to execute it then it doesnít matter. Bielema ran a run oriented offense and had the o line and RBs in his first year. Morris needs a QB, decent o line, and more size and speed at WR. He has none of that which is why our offense looks so disjointed.

You are kidding on the "he had the OL and RB's right? He had to bring in his own OL, starting two true freshmen, a walk-on, a RT that was worse than Wallace, and he did have a good center his first year in Swanson. He had a true sophomore RB who barely played as a true freshmen and absolutely nobody behind JWill. Again, having to bring in his own player in Collins to give some depth. Even then, the OL wasn't very good. BA spent the whole season running for his life or flat on his back after throwing the ball into his stands. As for run blocking, the OL wasn't able to get much push, which is evidenced by the lack of ability to gain first downs on third or fourth and short. Very few rushing td's as well.

Morris uses a run first offense, not a pass first offense. He was gifted one of the top interior OL players in the country surrounded by players who were very experienced and had at least some success. He's had a lot of players at OL leave after he took over, but even among those that stayed, our OL right now is way better than what we had in 2013. Our QB play isn't very good, but again, go back to 2013. We'd be jumping for joy if BA was playing as well as Storey or Kelley have played thus far. BA had some raw talent, but he was scarred and entirely undeveloped at that point. As for receivers, again, our receiver play in 2018 has been quite bad, but is head and shoulders above the play that we saw from our receivers in 2013.

Morris has more than enough to worst case scenario match 2013, but the results make us wish we would win three games this season.

FANONTHEHILL

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2018, 04:51:51 pm »

Still beating this dead horse, huh?  You must of been one insecure kid when you were young.
I think I was a very secure kid and Iíve raised two very secure kids. Theyíre secure enough to understand that I want to be at all of their games. But on occasion, when my pager goes off and Iím needed at the hospital because thatís my job.  Itís called responsibility.  I expect nothing less from a football coach. He can do both.

casken

• We LEOs have no sense of humor that we're aware of
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2018, 04:55:01 pm »

The man most likely puts in more hours in a week than we do and I work a heck of a lot as do many of you I imagine. If he was the "only" person that could influence the team or the only available...you might have a point. Maybe. I think it is entirely plausible that he made a promise to his son and is keeping it...much to the angst and criticism of the cheap seats. He is doing the right thing.

urkillnmesmalls

• Experience: You get it just after you needed it!
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 04:56:24 pm »

If CCM comes in and we see an immediate positive difference on the field, then fans would be on the board saying how much the interest in his son illustrates his care for kids in general, and it's going to make a difference in recruiting. 

What time is lights out on a Friday night for the players?  11 pm maybe?  So how many hours is he really missing with the team?

If that's the reason we're getting beat by teams that we would have taken for granted and chalked up as auto-wins in the past, then that's scary. 

I'd love for someone to ask the players that question.  "Hey, are you going to give less effort because your coach went to watch his kid play HS football on Friday night?"  I guarantee you not a single one of them would say yes, because they love having their parents there to watch them play as well.     

GTOWNHOG

• Senior
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2018, 04:57:23 pm »

Put a sock in it. You have ONE opportunity to see your son grow up.  I would do the same thing if i had a JET at my disposal.  Good grief.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas