• 9,880,304 Posts
• 398,143 Topics
• 22,800 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fiction or Fact  (Read 2572 times)

Hogtired10

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Fiction or Fact
« on: September 16, 2018, 09:54:00 am »

I've read some of the comments concerning the football team and current coaching stuff. Let me say this, what was the expectation of this first year head coach? A National Championship??? He inherited a team that wasn't good to begin with. He coaches a different style of football than the previous coach which means you have to have players that fit the style of play that you seek which mean recruiting. Arkansas wanted to wait for the second coming of Jesus to hire a new coach. I know most but not all are upset and frustrated at how the razorbacks played yesterday but lets keep things in perspective. Some of the beloved hog fans expectation of the Chad Morris and Staff first year is unrealistic or fiction at best. I knew it was going to be a rough year so I wasn't surprised at all but I'm not on here bashing Coach Morris and calling for his job. Calling for his job is childish and ridiculous and it really shows why Arkansas gets the reputation it gets. He wasn't my first choice but he is who we got and I support me and will give him time so deal with it. We haven't been good in a while anyway so Coach Morris was not going to come in here and win 10 games this year and that's a fact and I'm not changing it.

coach, my back hurts

Re: Fiction or Fact
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:26:28 am »

Teams have done nothing but blitz us through 3 games. How many screens have we run? 

This is coaching. Poorly at that. We have more talent than to get beat by NT.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogtired10

• Senior
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 03:14:53 pm »

I understand how you feel but with that being said we are in the same position we were last year and the year before with a same players same result.

DLUXHOG

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 03:16:48 pm »

Lou Holtz brought a number 3 National ranking in year one......  just sayin....

Hogtired10

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 06:18:13 am »

Wasn't going to happen with Chad Morris being hired so late in the season.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Waldron Bulldogs 1-2
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 06:29:56 am »

only won 4 games his first season at Minnesota 5 games in his first year at ND, and then went 0-11 at SC

PP

Lanlord

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 06:37:13 am »

I've read some of the comments concerning the football team and current coaching stuff. Let me say this, what was the expectation of this first year head coach? A National Championship??? He inherited a team that wasn't good to begin with. He coaches a different style of football than the previous coach which means you have to have players that fit the style of play that you seek which mean recruiting. Arkansas wanted to wait for the second coming of Jesus to hire a new coach. I know most but not all are upset and frustrated at how the razorbacks played yesterday but lets keep things in perspective. Some of the beloved hog fans expectation of the Chad Morris and Staff first year is unrealistic or fiction at best. I knew it was going to be a rough year so I wasn't surprised at all but I'm not on here bashing Coach Morris and calling for his job. Calling for his job is childish and ridiculous and it really shows why Arkansas gets the reputation it gets. He wasn't my first choice but he is who we got and I support me and will give him time so deal with it. We haven't been good in a while anyway so Coach Morris was not going to come in here and win 10 games this year and that's a fact and I'm not changing it.

My expectation was they would be able to play fundamental football.  I guess my expectations were too high.  I was thinking we could win the first three games not ten.

FANONTHEHILL

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 07:33:02 am »

A 5-7 season was my hope and a 4-8 season was my expectation.  I hoped that a team that does lack in talent would rally together and play motivated football. The team hasnít shown it.  I hoped the cosch would be able to rally and motivate the players.  Sometimes a new coach has to make a quality meal with groceries he didnít buy.  Havenít seen that either. The staff under Bielema was never on the same page and it failed.  This staff is all in the same page and itís failing.  Based on talent alone, Arkansas should be 3-0 at this point.  I truly believe that Coach Morris can coach.  But right now, no one is on the same page.  At the very least, going into the season, I expected to see a team with a common goal and we havenít.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Waldron Bulldogs 1-2
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 07:37:07 am »

if there is division in the locker room like is being talked about, no coach can get everyone on the same page....pages will need to be removed actually

PP

hawg IQ

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 07:59:51 am »

Defense not as bad as they looked last two games. QB play is horrible, runnings back needs improving. Offensive line should be better than first 3 games. Play calling is not good however. Team communication needs to be better. Overall desire to win is just ď missing ď.                                      Things get corrected they can still have a decent season. Story at qb and work Nolan in slowly.

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 08:25:14 am »

If you've read the expectations over the summer, it was generally that we could maybe scrape to get to a 6-6 season against the easiest non-conference schedule in years, plus Vandy. Some were hoping for another win from that based on our underperformance last year and plenty of returning starters.

The expectations are more than 1-11.

Personally, I don't have problems with Morris, except for the 4th and 1 call. It's the team and their attitude that don't meet my expectations. As of now, I don't pin that on Morris.

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 01:43:03 pm »

only won 4 games his first season at Minnesota 5 games in his first year at ND, and then went 0-11 at SC

PP

So...  youíre sayin that Arkansas is a much more fertile football area than SC, ND, Mn? Okay Iíll buy into that....

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 01:48:05 pm »

Teams have done nothing but blitz us through 3 games. How many screens have we run? 

Maybe.  Or, when your line is so poor that players are changing positions weekly, and one of our starters was playing defensive lineman for most of August, you are limited on what you can do.  Teaching screen pass blocking is as intricate skill as an O Line coach has to do.  I would think our O Line coach is so flustered by what he inherited, he's got screen rules on his checklist, but he probably is still just trying to get the basics covered.

ricepig

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 01:48:34 pm »

So...  youíre sayin that Arkansas is a much more fertile football area than SC, ND, Mn? Okay Iíll buy into that....

More like a team that was 5-1-1 and lost it's last 4 games. I was a freshman on the Hill and that team had loads of talent, look at how many played in the NFL. Holtz came in and it was a new attitude.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 02:06:19 pm »

A 5-7 season was my hope and a 4-8 season was my expectation.  I hoped that a team that does lack in talent would rally together and play motivated football. The team hasnít shown it.  I hoped the cosch would be able to rally and motivate the players.  Sometimes a new coach has to make a quality meal with groceries he didnít buy.  Havenít seen that either. The staff under Bielema was never on the same page and it failed.  This staff is all in the same page and itís failing.  Based on talent alone, Arkansas should be 3-0 at this point.  I truly believe that Coach Morris can coach.  But right now, no one is on the same page.  At the very least, going into the season, I expected to see a team with a common goal and we havenít.

Just guessing, but the disconnect is between coaches and players, not between coaches. Maybe still worried about their gatorade bottles and shoes.

snoblind

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 02:20:08 pm »

More like a team that was 5-1-1 and lost it's last 4 games. I was a freshman on the Hill and that team had loads of talent, look at how many played in the NFL. Holtz came in and it was a new attitude.

Yeah, he keeps trying to bring up Lou's 1st year in various threads like that is a legitimate comparison.

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 02:53:05 pm »

If you've read the expectations over the summer, it was generally that we could maybe scrape to get to a 6-6 season against the easiest non-conference schedule in years, plus Vandy. Some were hoping for another win from that based on our underperformance last year and plenty of returning starters.

The expectations are more than 1-11.

Personally, I don't have problems with Morris, except for the 4th and 1 call. It's the team and their attitude that don't meet my expectations. As of now, I don't pin that on Morris.

I have a problem with it.  How the heck can you have 3 or 4 illegal formation penalties.  And.  Have to burn a time out on a kick off???  I mean that is on the coach period.  IN WEEK 3!!!!

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 02:55:32 pm »

I love how you guys are acting like expecting more than 1-11 is expecting a national championship

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 02:57:18 pm »

I love how you guys are acting like expecting more than 1-11 is expecting a national championship
Hell, I done forgot the question!

SkylerKat

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2018, 02:57:52 pm »

I've read some of the comments concerning the football team and current coaching stuff. Let me say this, what was the expectation of this first year head coach?

Not getting blown out by a mid level team.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 03:04:56 pm »

History (Bert) has shown that it's not good if a coach goes 0-8 in conference play his first season.

BUT the least we should expect is 3-9.

Aggie Bert is on the fast track to 1-11.  Getting destroyed by North Texas is a bad look.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 03:18:08 pm »

Here's some fun facts for ya: We've yet to fumble in a game, and lead the nation in forced fumbles and fumble recoveries.

Billy Bats

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2018, 03:21:44 pm »

Did not read, but I'm going to go with fiction.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2018, 03:23:43 pm »

Here's some fun facts for ya: We've yet to fumble in a game, and lead the nation in forced fumbles and fumble recoveries.
That is a great stat.  Sadly, we counterbalance it with the fact that we are tied for 2nd to last with the most INTs thrown in the country.  We have thrown 8 INTs (6 against NT) and are only 1 behind the worst team in the nation.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2018, 03:25:33 pm »

Let this settle in.... for all the hate that Brandon Allen received from this fanbase -  He threw less interceptions in the entire 2014 season (5) than this team threw in a single game.  :puke:

Wildhog

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2018, 03:26:42 pm »

Let this settle in.... for all the hate that Brandon Allen received from this fanbase -  He threw less interceptions in the entire 2014 season (5) than this team threw in a single game.  :puke:

Brandon Allen is probably the most underappreciated Razorback of all time.  The way fans treated him was disgusting.

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2018, 03:29:06 pm »

That is a great stat.  Sadly, we counterbalance it with the fact that we are tied for 2nd to last with the most INTs thrown in the country.  We have thrown 8 INTs (6 against NT) and are only 1 behind the worst team in the nation.

The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away  :'(

OneTuskOverTheLineô

• Gold Hogvillian
  • One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 03:29:39 pm »

NT is undefeated, and has upper classmen from Notre Dame, Tennessee and many other big time programs. They have been building that program ever steadily upward. They had speed AND size. We didn't see Goliath getting beat by David. We saw the fat kid next door pick on the wrong neighbor. I hope we get them again soon and spank the dank right out of them...  I know CSU is not looking forward to what they are going to get in Fayettenam next year..! Go back and watch some more of that game. they were dropping LB's in the middle to cover screens there, and they had shut down more than 3 to the outside...

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2018, 03:33:41 pm »

Brandon Allen is probably the most underappreciated Razorback of all time.  The way fans treated him was disgusting.
That's why I laugh about the booing. Did these players not see how the Allens were treated?  At least nobody is claiming that Cole or Ty are starting b/c they are kin to an office worker.

Youngsta71701

• There's a God somewhere.
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 03:33:56 pm »

You mean 60 years ago before modern day football?

HogJowler

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 03:40:35 pm »

I rate your post a Fact.  One word of encouragement, you can't argue with idiots.  The fools on this message board are at best fools not capable of cognizant thought which takes a little more gray matter than most of them have available.

They can complain till the chickens come home to roost and the only results they create will be negative to the program.  They will hurt recruiting and if allowed will run off a coach that gives us a fighting chance to improve.

Run this guy off and all the complainers will still be on here complaining.  They will not like the next coach either.

My advice to them would be to sit back have another beer and think at least a little bit before you speak. You are the people that the rest of the country is laughing at.

The rest of the country can see where our program has fallen to over the last decade.  They will give CCM a couple of years, check for improvement and look at recruiting.  After that, if he has failed, they will crucify him and the state.

Give CCM and the rest of us a chance.

195bc

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 03:41:27 pm »

Brandon Allen is still the 3rd QB for the Rams, correct? Any QB that makes it that far in the NFL was either a great college QB, or should have been but was held back by poor coaching or a scheme not suited to his abilities. Brandon was a little of both. He was a very good collegiate QB, and he had the potential to be a great college QB but was limited from poor coaching.

Remember that NFL QB we had on the roster that ended up transferring because he wasn't developed by the idiot QB-killing coach we had? His name was Tarvaris Jackson, and he had a 9-year NFL career, played in 59 games and earned $12M. He had the potential to be one the best Arkansas QBs of all time. As a matter of fact, we had a starting NFL QB and a starting NFL wide receiver on the same team, and the NFL QB didn't play QB for us and the NFL wide receiver never played wide receiver for us.

Sivad

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 03:45:01 pm »

I did not expect:
Poor preparation;
No evidence of any competent coaching;
A constant spout of silly and worn out jingles and sporting cliches;
1-2 before conference play begins;
Bowl hopes dashed before September is even out;
The weakest and least experienced coaching staff ever assembled at the UA;
A half empty RRS by halftime;
Razorback Stadium filled with boos in Game 3;
A Razorback Head Coach who does not even move his family to Arkansas;
No reasonable expectation of winning a single conference game;
A Head Coach who constantly tells us he is a ďhigh schoolĒ coach;
A Head Coach who tells us coaching is not who he is;
A Razorback Head Coach letting all Arkansas high school coaches know he thinks so little of their stateís sport that he will not even let his son play there.
A radical personality change from jacked up hyper Red Bull guzzling whirlybird to what we see now;
The Razorbacks being so absolutely non-competitive that it is staining their national brand while embarrassing the SEC.

ricepig

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 03:46:15 pm »

Brandon Allen is still the 3rd QB for the Rams, correct? Any QB that makes it that far in the NFL was either a great college QB, or should have been but was held back by poor coaching or a scheme not suited to his abilities. Brandon was a little of both. He was a very good collegiate QB, and he had the potential to be a great college QB but was limited from poor coaching.

Remember that NFL QB we had on the roster that ended up transferring because he wasn't developed by the idiot QB-killing coach we had? His name was Tarvaris Jackson, and he had a 9-year NFL career, played in 59 games and earned $12M. He had the potential to be one the best Arkansas QBs of all time. As a matter of fact, we had a starting NFL QB and a starting NFL wide receiver on the same team, and the NFL QB didn't play QB for us and the NFL wide receiver never played wide receiver for us.

https://sports.yahoo.com/rams-releasing-quarterback-brandon-allen-192435746.html

dwaller

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 03:48:13 pm »

Lou Holtz inherited a ton of talent from Coach Broyles. If you were following the Hogs back in the late '70's you know there is no comparison to what Coach Morris inherited. That was his best ranking at Arkansas, if my memory serves me correctly. Lou only went down from there until he was fired.     

Wildhog

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 03:48:38 pm »

Brandon actually got waived yesterday, but your point remains.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2018, 03:49:45 pm »

A Razorback Head Coach letting all Arkansas high school coaches know he thinks so little of their stateís sport that he wii not even let his son play there.
I want to know where the recruiting helicopter is at.

Why did SMU get the croot chopper and we don't?

It's not the lack of money--- boosters are flying Aggie down to Texas every Friday.

Wildhog

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2018, 04:01:27 pm »

Things are definitely askew. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2018, 04:03:13 pm »

Brandon actually got waived yesterday, but your point remains.

Just curious, waived, or waived and put on practice squad.  He has enough brains and talent to be a good backup was hoping he would stick around a bit longer. 

ricepig

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2018, 04:07:00 pm »

Just curious, waived, or waived and put on practice squad.  He has enough brains and talent to be a good backup was hoping he would stick around a bit longer. 

I don't think he's been put on the practice squad yet, although that was the thinking when he was cut. It'll depend if he clears waivers, Jax tried it last year and the Rams picked him up.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 04:08:57 pm »

That's why I laugh about the booing. Did these players not see how the Allens were treated?  At least nobody is claiming that Cole or Ty are starting b/c they are kin to an office worker.

Booing is for sissies.  Now truck burnin'... that's how you know it's for serious.

OkieBack

• Varsity
  • Everybody Love Everybody
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2018, 04:10:35 pm »

I've read some of the comments concerning the football team and current coaching stuff. Let me say this, what was the expectation of this first year head coach?

Before a single snap was made, probably a 4 or 5 win season.  Since the first 3 games...I'd say win maybe 1 or 2 games.  I did not expect to be a bowl team.  I DID expect to win more than 1 or 2 games, however I (as did many) highly underestimate the lack of play makers stemming from the CBB era.  Now that I see the cupboard is barren thanks to Bert, then its all about recruiting and building for next year.  The defense may still be able to prove something this year, however until I see it on the field...the offense is a fragment of what CMM will develop in the coming years.

WhenPigsFly

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2018, 04:54:20 pm »

Seriously?  Go back and look at the roster he inherited.  Then line it up next to the currrent one.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2018, 05:10:06 pm »

He did it with some great players to.  Frank Broyles had some of the best staffs in College Football history, and HISTORY proves that.

Same can be said of the Nutt.  Ford couldn't win here, but he was one of the best Coaches we ever had when it came to recruiting.  Nutt came in and certainly benefited from that recruiting in his 1st year.

Snouty

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2018, 07:03:42 pm »

Wow, just wow!

jjdlc

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2018, 07:15:20 pm »

I don't think he's been put on the practice squad yet, although that was the thinking when he was cut. It'll depend if he clears waivers, Jax tried it last year and the Rams picked him up.

He played well enough in the preseason I wouldn't be surprised if someone picks him up. 

MORAZOR

• Band Nerd
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2018, 09:10:40 pm »

Wasn't going to happen with Chad Morris being hired so late in the season.
This is a huge factor  coupled with with first early signing period.

sickboy

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2018, 09:14:42 pm »

Rams wavied him and then signed him to the practice squad. They actually really like him. Word is he's the clear #2 next year. They're not going to extend Mannion's contract after this season. Don't be surprised if you see Brandon Allen coaching one of these days and becoming a disciple of Sean McVay. McVay loves Brandon Allen's smarts.

Hog Pharm

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2018, 09:14:53 pm »

Agreed. Looking back itís a shame we didnít ever finish better than 7-5 with him. That 2015 team should have won 9-10 games.

HogBreath

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2018, 09:23:35 pm »

I have a problem with it.  How the heck can you have 3 or 4 illegal formation penalties.  And.  Have to burn a time out on a kick off???  I mean that is on the coach period.  IN WEEK 3!!!!
Well, to be fair, we haven't had a lot of experience with that kicking off jazz.

But on the other hand, we don't punt well, and heck, we do that a lot.  Same with kickoff returns, we should be good at those.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas