• 9,970,407 Posts
• 400,296 Topics
• 22,941 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: If the fans stop coming so will the players  (Read 1249 times)

PrimHawg

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
If the fans stop coming so will the players
« on: September 16, 2018, 08:21:55 am »

I am afraid we are at that point. The program is in such poor shape, the stadium will be empty. If the fans donít come to games neither will recruits for us in the future.

Meanwhile it appears every football team in Texas is better than Arkansas. Where is the draw to become an Arkansas Razorback? Gone like the fans. I canít blame them this is a terrible thing to witness.

Locutus_of_Boar

• Hogvillian
Re: If the fans stop coming so will the players
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:50:25 am »

Sadly that is not the case.  In the days of John Barnhill and Frank Broyles it would have been true but this was when pride mattered to everyone.  In the modern era which dates back to about the time of the breaking of the NCAA TV monopoly in the 1980's college football has become so disconnected from the local fan rooting for their state university that a school like Arkansas can host a financially successful sports program run as a toy by rich boys calling the tune for incompetent leadership and clueless coaches recruiting entitled players losing to far inferior talent in ridiculous performances before mostly empty seats.

However, so long as Arkansas has a monopoly on 25 SEC scholarships some kids will continue to show up to participate even if it's just to knowingly be part of a soap opera.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

coach, my back hurts

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:02:14 am »

With the way the rest of the conference recruits, we may never dig out of this. I donít see how Morris can keep this class together.

And I havenít seen anything from Morris that suggests he can out coach Ed O, Fisher, or Gus. Or hell, the other 9 coaches for that matter.

I agree with Mike Irwin that a move out of the SEC needs to be realistic option to look at. Although he didnít think we were to that point yet.

Our football program cannot and will not ever compete with the big boys.

KateHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 10:09:09 am »

With the way the rest of the conference recruits, we may never dig out of this. I donít see how Morris can keep this class together.

And I havenít seen anything from Morris that suggests he can out coach Ed O, Fisher, or Gus. Or hell, the other 9 coaches for that matter.

I agree with Mike Irwin that a move out of the SEC needs to be realistic option to look at. Although he didnít think we were to that point yet.

Will not ever compete with the big boys is over the top.

Tony Perkis

• All-American Hogvillian
  • This is the 18th level of the PerkiSystem.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 10:10:04 am »

They already did lol. Quit asking for people to spend their hard earned time and money on a terrible product. This is simple.

jkstock04

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 10:15:03 am »

They already did lol. Quit asking for people to spend their hard earned time and money on a terrible product. This is simple.

So a buddy of mine gave up his tickets this year. Same story different day they call him several times to try and get him to renew and he says no.

Granted these are nosebleed tickets in the corner...but they wound up sending him those tickets for free lol. Can't make this up. He had held them for so many years or whatever I can't remember what the excuse was...but he told me they gave them to him this year for free lol.

Guess that's one way to do it to try and get people to show up.

okrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 10:19:11 am »

That is not true. If we get the right coach we can compete.

okrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 10:22:53 am »

So a buddy of mine gave up his tickets this year. Same story different day they call him several times to try and get him to renew and he says no.

Granted these are nosebleed tickets in the corner...but they wound up sending him those tickets for free lol. Can't make this up. He had held them for so many years or whatever I can't remember what the excuse was...but he told me they gave them to him this year for free lol.

Guess that's one way to do it to try and get people to show up.

The best way to do it is to get a coach who can win and then do not fire them like we did Petrino

Breems

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 10:23:35 am »

Everyone needs to stop worrying about the fans. They're reacting like any fans in the country would. It's not the fans' job to recruit.

okrazorback

• Varsity
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 10:26:07 am »

The best way to do it is to get a coach who can win and then do not fire them like we did Petrino this is not the players fault It is Arkansas fault for not being
willing to pay for a good coach.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 10:29:03 am »

Sadly that is not the case.  In the days of John Barnhill and Frank Broyles it would have been true but this was when pride mattered to everyone.  In the modern era which dates back to about the time of the breaking of the NCAA TV monopoly in the 1980's college football has become so disconnected from the local fan rooting for their state university that a school like Arkansas can host a financially successful sports program run as a toy by rich boys calling the tune for incompetent leadership and clueless coaches recruiting entitled players losing to far inferior talent in ridiculous performances before mostly empty seats.

However, so long as Arkansas has a monopoly on 25 SEC scholarships some kids will continue to show up to participate even if it's just to knowingly be part of a soap opera.

May be the most incoherent thing I've read in a while. Sure, 145 pound Kenny who played 8 man football would accept an offer to play football for The You of A but how many games will that win you.

Not sure what affect the fans have on recruits but damn.

bacon&eggs

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 11:38:32 am »

The fans will not stop coming. Sure, they will miss the seemingly unimportant powder puff games, especially during a rebuilding year. And sure, they will almost always leave the game early to beat traffic. But the fans will never stop coming because of a losing season. It is simply a well and well established proven fact.

Hogwallup

• Varsity
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 11:41:34 am »

If the fans donít come to games neither will recruits for us in the future.

Are you under the assumption the players have been showing up? They didn't the last two weeks.

Airedales#1Fan

• Walk-On
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 02:17:47 pm »

When 'Bama comes to town, the stands will be full.

CoachVisor

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 03:06:29 pm »

When 'Bama comes to town, the stands will be full.

Yepp, I sold my tickets to Alabama Fans.

Redhogs

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 04:45:18 pm »

That is not true. If we get the right coach we can compete.
Petrino proved that 6 short years ago.

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 04:48:55 pm »

Everyone needs to stop worrying about the fans. They're reacting like any fans in the country would. It's not the fans' job to recruit.

Condoning bad behavior get you more of it. The fans behaved badly and deserve to be highlighted nationwide.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 05:30:33 pm »

Condoning bad behavior get you more of it. The fans behaved badly and deserve to be highlighted nationwide.

The thing being highlighted nationally is that punt return.

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 05:33:15 pm »

The thing being highlighted nationally is that punt return.

Football is football. Booing is classless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas