• 9,880,395 Posts
• 398,144 Topics
• 22,800 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convince me this isn't coaching  (Read 2892 times)

ParkHillHog

Convince me this isn't coaching
« on: September 16, 2018, 08:02:27 am »

Hate to break it to everyone but this guy is in way over his head.

Has Morris ran one play on offense that Wow'd you? Pulaski Academy runs more complex route trees than this goober. 80% of Kelley's first half passes were either deep fades or comebacks to the sidelines. At least Enos had some plays that he knew were going to work/ jumpstart the QB. The Play action, TE in the flats play comes to mind. Help your QB out a little. Morris totally abandons the run so we can let a QB we know cant separate himself from two true freshman throw it 30 times in the first half. That alone proves it to me.

I honestly think our defensive players might have been broken by the previous staff. They absolutely fold when anything goes wrong. But giving 44 to a C-USA team is not acceptable. We have too many guys on that defense with SEC reps to let this happen at home.

Has anyone else checked the Florida- CSU Score? First year Florida coach Dan Mullen wins 48-10. UF was 4-7 last year

We have been outscored 61-10 in the last 5 quarters of play against two group of 5 teams. THIS IS A COACHING PROBLEM.

10 points from a guy hailed as an offensive guru. To a team from C-USA. Let that sink in.

Talk me off the ledge, convince me I'm wrong

presidenthog

Re: Convince me this isn't coaching
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 08:08:30 am »

The defense didnt give up 44 points you dolt. They gave up 30, and the offense was so atrocious that they turned the ball over 6 times. the average field position for UNT was from our 44. Also the defense was so broken that they held their offense to like 2 of 15 on 3rd down.

Also its absolutely on morris that the locker room is a darn show, and all the upper classmen on offense literally do not care, and have not since 2016.  They are such great leaders and role models they let 2 freshman qbs take sacks on purpose, and jogged running routes for them. Yep. All on morris. /sarcasm

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hawgfan4life

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 08:21:20 am »

Defense lost the fight they need to keep when we were so bad the second half.  Turnovers put them in horrible position and they stayed were constantly going back onto the field in bad situations with no momentum.  The D wasn't good, but the final score is on the offense and coaching as well.  Can't argue with the play calling questions of the OP.

ParkHillHog

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 08:22:20 am »

The defense didnt give up 44 points you dolt. They gave up 30, and the offense was so atrocious that they turned the ball over 6 times. the average field position for UNT was from our 44. Also the defense was so broken that they held their offense to like 2 of 15 on 3rd down.

Also its absolutely on morris that the locker room is a darn show, and all the upper classmen on offense literally do not care, and have not since 2016.  They are such great leaders and role models they let 2 freshman qbs take sacks on purpose, and jogged running routes for them. Yep. All on morris. /sarcasm

Good point! If they only gave up 30, that means we only lose by 20 you dolt. Does that not make it even worse? We lost to a C-USA team in every faucet of the game.

Not to mention North Texas called off the dogs offensively in the 4th.

Have you been in a locker room before? Coaches build the demeanor of the kids, if the players have already lost this much confidence in Morris we are in deep doo-doo.

Don't forget this team was competitive in 4 SEC Games last year. Including the last game of the year against Mizzou. Even fat bert could get them better motivated to play

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 08:29:38 am »

The Upper Classmen have not bought in to the staff of the Offence and it shows!
Kick them off the Team and play the young ones!

SouthTexFeral

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 08:54:08 am »

Aside from the fact that we tackle poorly I thought The D did okay for the situation. What must it be like mentally, watching your offense either go 3 and out or repeatedly throw interceptions.

pigture perfect

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 09:01:03 am »

I noticed NT was quicker than us. On that point, I donít know if it  was talent or motivation. Same with fundamentals. If itís talent, thatís on the othe staff. If itís motivation, then itís this one.

fullfan

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 09:47:28 am »

Here is a point I can get behind that needs some explanation.   None of the mechanics of the plays look really practiced, skilled, or anywhere near deceptive.  The QB fakes a handoff to "air".   He is 3 feet from a RB that might make a semi pocket like he's taking that air hand off.  QB is staring at the one option he's predetermined and if he holds on for a split second the rush is all over them.

All of this makes actual running plays very easy to see and diagnose if you are a LB that is not getting touched because the entire OL are getting eat up by 3 DL.  Rinse and repeat. 

From the outside I like the CM message and believe he is a very good man.   I just find it hard to believe that you cannot practice a limited amount of plays and run them to near perfection.

coach, my back hurts

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 09:52:34 am »

I agree that itís a play calling issue. Screens and shallow crossing can kill a blitz, but we donít run them. Play action boot legs with rpo can kill a blitz. We donít see a design to get our qbs out of the pocket.

From what I see from our offensive play calling recruiting wonít help much if all we run is deep fades and 15 yard out routes.  Our route concepts are garbage.

However I like our aggressiveness on defense. I believe we could sell that to a recruit. But letís face it though, Pulley is our best db and he wouldnít start for bama, auburn, LSU, or aTm.

Recruiting can fix the talent deficiencies, but what fixes the coaching deficiencies?

Bebop

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 09:53:39 am »

Has Morris ran one play on offense that Wow'd you? Pulaski Academy runs more complex route trees than this goober. 80% of Kelley's first half passes were either deep fades or comebacks to the sidelines. At least Enos had some plays that he knew were going to work/ jumpstart the QB. The Play action, TE in the flats play comes to mind. Help your QB out a little. Morris totally abandons the run so we can let a QB we know cant separate himself from two true freshman throw it 30 times in the first half. That alone proves it to me.

I honestly think our defensive players might have been broken by the previous staff. They absolutely fold when anything goes wrong. But giving 44 to a C-USA team is not acceptable. We have too many guys on that defense with SEC reps to let this happen at home.

Has anyone else checked the Florida- CSU Score? First year Florida coach Dan Mullen wins 48-10. UF was 4-7 last year

We have been outscored 61-10 in the last 5 quarters of play against two group of 5 teams. THIS IS A COACHING PROBLEM.

10 points from a guy hailed as an offensive guru. To a team from C-USA. Let that sink in.

You're not wrong. It is coaching with a mixture of quit from the players. We have enough talent to beat CSU and UNT. We could easily end up with 1 win this season.

Hogtired10

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 10:01:06 am »

Arkansas hasn't been in good in years. In fact, Arkansas hasn't been good since Petrino. Arkansas didn't have fight in them last year or the year before that so this story isn't new. God please give this man time before our loyal fan base runs him off. Please and thank you AMEN

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 10:01:39 am »

Bret left this program with a poor offensive line, no QB, and slow receivers outside of Jones. What do you expect Chad to do when Whaley has no blocking and no ability to make guys miss in space.

I can't put this on Chad when this is what hogville hero Bret left the program in. Bret put this program on probation and quit doing anything last season. Chad took some accountability but he doesn't have much to work with. We all saw Ty and Cole play. They don't have it!

Hawginj

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 10:21:05 am »

Bret left this program with a poor offensive line, no QB, and slow receivers outside of Jones. What do you expect Chad to do when Whaley has no blocking and no ability to make guys miss in space.

I can't put this on Chad when this is what hogville hero Bret left the program in. Bret put this program on probation and quit doing anything last season. Chad took some accountability but he doesn't have much to work with. We all saw Ty and Cole play. They don't have it!
Yes Bret is to blame for the quality of this team that's one of the many reasons he is gone. But this staff whom have been in place for over 9 months are to blame for players not being able to line up correctly, not knowing what play they are running on offense, special teams not playing to the whistle, and the defense not knowing thier assignments.

Hoggiedawg

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 10:30:29 am »

Yes Bret is to blame for the quality of this team that's one of the many reasons he is gone. But this staff whom have been in place for over 9 months are to blame for players not being able to line up correctly, not knowing what play they are running on offense, special teams not playing to the whistle, and the defense not knowing thier assignments.

I can answer those questions.  Special teams have been a problem for a long time. Tito's didn't fix it and it looks like CCM hasn't fixed it either. We'll call that a draw. The D has been worst ever for Arkansas for the last 2 years. This problem belongs to Tito's. Offense belongs to Tito's for the most part because he never developed a QB that wasn't starting, recruited the RB's that can't seem to get out of their own way and left the cupboard almost totally bare on the OL.

Is CCM the coach to fix this? I don't know yet. He inherited a host of players full of quit and lacking discipline/talent. That's hard to fix in nine months.

Triple Dog Dare

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 10:33:47 am »

Did some of you not see last year's team?  In several games, opposing QBs went around the end and ran untouched into the end zone from mid-field and beyond.  Starting with Mizzou in 2016, the team let large half-time leads evaporate time and time again.  This team is seriously lacking speed.  The announcers yesterday remarked that NT had more speed than the hogs. 

For those folks wanting to fire Morris after 3 games, I hope you sober-up soon or you will be drunk for a number of years.  Fire a coach after 3 games in the first year and you would never get any other "established" coach to come to the hill.  "Frank did it to Jack Crowe".  I had hair when that happened.  Different time boys.  Not to mention the 10's of millions it would take for the buy out.  Oh, "somebody will pay it" you say.  If it ain't you, you don't have an opinion.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 10:34:25 am »

Yesterday showed an extremely awful week of practice, prep, and gameday coaching.   Can he fix this, absolutely, yet if we donít start to see some
Coaching going on it can become a lost cause very quick. 

This thing can snow ball VERY quick. 

Hawginj

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 10:38:53 am »

I can answer those questions.  Special teams have been a problem for a long time. Tito's didn't fix it and it looks like CCM hasn't fixed it either. We'll call that a draw. The D has been worst ever for Arkansas for the last 2 years. This problem belongs to Tito's. Offense belongs to Tito's for the most part because he never developed a QB that wasn't starting, recruited the RB's that can't seem to get out of their own way and left the cupboard almost totally bare on the OL.

Is CCM the coach to fix this? I don't know yet. He inherited a host of players full of quit and lacking discipline/talent. That's hard to fix in nine months.
You missing the point this staff the one we have right now are to blame for players being lost and not playing to the whistle period. Thats why you practice and have meetings if the players don't get it you don't play them. If its an attitude problem you don't play them, if there are players refusing to do what is asked or that are a cancer to the team you send them packing. If all you have left are freshmen and sophomores then so be it start fresh and build from there and not a reasonable person one would complain because that would show something in the right direction

Tim Harris

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 10:47:23 am »

Plenty of blame to go around. Players that donít fit the system, ones who havenít bought in, and poor coaching all contribute to what will be one of the worst seasons Iíve ever watched.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 10:49:47 am »

talent, talent, talent..... we dont have enough of it... not even close...

jjdlc

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 10:52:48 am »

Thank God I'm not the only one that sees it.  I'm not sold on Morris, but dear lord some of this is not on him.  Also, I'm not even sure I'd give the defense credit for giving up even 30 yesterday, the turnovers on offense were far more responsible for most of those points.  Given some of the great field position UNT found  themselves with, I'm surprised they didn't score more.

Letsroll1200

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 10:57:30 am »

You missing the point this staff the one we have right now are to blame for players being lost and not playing to the whistle period. Thats why you practice and have meetings if the players don't get it you don't play them. If its an attitude problem you don't play them, if there are players refusing to do what is asked or that are a cancer to the team you send them packing. If all you have left are freshmen and sophomores then so be it start fresh and build from there and not a reasonable person one would complain because that would show something in the right direction

I think the freshman and sophomore movement will begin after this 3 game stretch. The seniors have to take ownership of this team. Talk about Cole all you want but the guy wanted to win. He just don't have it!

Where was Agim, Ramsey, Santos on that first drive after halftime?

jjdlc

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 11:00:25 am »

I can't totally disagree,  It's where we go from here that will show me whether or not CMM can get us out of this. 

Hawginj

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 11:03:54 am »

I can't totally disagree,  It's where we go from here that will show me whether or not CMM can get us out of this.
completely agree 👍

Airforcehawg

• The Original
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 11:14:45 am »

My main issue on the offensive side is the passing game. I think we all agree that the O Line is limited. With that, why run slow developing/double move passing plays? Why are 90% of the routes sideline routes where the sideline is essentially another defender.

North Texas did exactly what we should be doing. They threw the ball 45x and 30 of them were passes 10 yrds or less. CSU and UNT both used routes that were either right in front of the LB or right in between the LBs and the safeties all day to eat our lunch. They used the quick hitter passes to negate the rush and would peel the top off every now and then for huge gains.

Morris has to adjust this. They have to concentrate on short/medium routes. Have to get the TE's involved. Have to work the middle of the field more.

pigbacon

• Senior
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 11:35:43 am »

Here is a point I can get behind that needs some explanation.   None of the mechanics of the plays look really practiced, skilled, or anywhere near deceptive.  The QB fakes a handoff to "air".   He is 3 feet from a RB that might make a semi pocket like he's taking that air hand off.  QB is staring at the one option he's predetermined and if he holds on for a split second the rush is all over them.

All of this makes actual running plays very easy to see and diagnose if you are a LB that is not getting touched because the entire OL are getting eat up by 3 DL.  Rinse and repeat. 

From the outside I like the CM message and believe he is a very good man.   I just find it hard to believe that you cannot practice a limited amount of plays and run them to near perfection.

Yes. The actions are so deliberate it looks like a pop warner QB who is just learning the game. Nothing looks fluid and it is painfully embarrassing to watch. I literally cringe. Receivers look lost in route. I think about the stories of Petrino having tape measures checking routes and going crazy if WRs didnít cut at the appropriate spot, etc.

CCM better tune in and see which players want to strive for excellence and which ones just want to say they played D1 football. There is so much more than what goes on in practice, but it starts with how that is conducted. You play the way you practice. Petrinos players looked forward to game day just due to having a break from the hell of practice.

bacon&eggs

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 12:01:24 pm »

Arkansas hasn't been in good in years. In fact, Arkansas hasn't been good since Petrino. Arkansas didn't have fight in them last year or the year before that so this story isn't new. God please give this man time before our loyal fan base runs him off. Please and thank you AMEN

I am now starting to wish that the administration would just bring Bobby Petrino back, just to satisfy all the "Bring Petrino back" posts and threads that come after every loss.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 12:44:59 pm »

Yes itís coaching. The worst Iíve ever seen on the Hill.
Morris has lost his team and the fans, 3 games in. A remarkable achievement.

Hoggish1

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 12:53:01 pm »

The Upper Classmen have not bought in to the staff of the Offense and it shows!

Maybe they don't see much cache to Hammer Down and Full Tilt Boogie. 

If you come in with that kind of 1980s HS lingo you are not going to be taken seriously and it appears the older players have not bought in, which is understandable...

Granny fan

• Hogvillian
  • "Jethro says smog is a small hog."
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 12:55:54 pm »

The Upper Classmen have not bought in to the staff of the Offence and it shows!
Kick them off the Team and play the young ones!

This was blatantly obvious yesterday!

Pig Worshipper

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2018, 01:03:18 pm »

Maybe they don't see much cache to Hammer Down and Full Tilt Boogie. 

If you come in with that kind of 1980s HS lingo you are not going to be taken seriously and it appears the older players have not bought in, which is understandable...

This is absolutely correct!
Chad's Cute Sayings are about as stale as a Barry Manilow song and twice as corny.

Redhogs

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 01:13:29 pm »

Nobody expects him to fix it in 9 months, but there has been NO improvment anywhere, physically or MENTALLY during that period of time, and that's a problem.

razorbrass

• You stay classy, Hogville!
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2018, 03:48:13 pm »

I am now starting to wish that the administration would just bring Bobby Petrino back, just to satisfy all the "Bring Petrino back" posts and threads that come after every loss.
If you read the Louisville boards they would gladly send him back.

SlickWilly

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 03:54:30 pm »

Spot on.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 08:39:16 pm »

Nobody expects him to fix it in 9 months, but there has been NO improvment anywhere, physically or MENTALLY during that period of time, and that's a problem.

Best post in this thread.  Nobody in their right mind had us contending for the SEC in year one, but we have a legitimate shot at a 1-2 win season in front of us. 

CBB had a 2 win season that took some miracles to get to 4 wins last year.  Lack of preparation in both losses is on the staff.  Period. 

sickboy

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 08:51:55 pm »

You from Park Hill, North Little Rock?

Jonbo

• Varsity
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 08:54:41 pm »

Thank God I'm not the only one that sees it.  I'm not sold on Morris, but dear lord some of this is not on him.  Also, I'm not even sure I'd give the defense credit for giving up even 30 yesterday, the turnovers on offense were far more responsible for most of those points.  Given some of the great field position UNT found  themselves with, I'm surprised they didn't score more.
Yeah, I don't think the defense did that badly with what they were given to work with. It was the offense that was the total shirt-show.

Paul

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2018, 09:05:10 pm »

No one who watched the last 2 games can honestly deny that there isn't a coaching problem.  No one has said he should be fired after 3 games but he has got to show he can reach this team & show some improvement on the field.  Having two #1's on the punt team against Co St & having to take a time out to get your kickoff team line up has nothing to do with lack of talent or what Bielema did or didn't do while head coach.

Tortfeasor

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 09:11:50 pm »

Do you think a trainer with a donkey would win the KY Detby? We donít have the horses to run this offense. Still goes back to terrible OL play. We canít even double team when supposed to. Itís a talent thing at this point.

oldhog63

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 09:14:32 pm »

The upperclassmen, especially on offense, showed their hand too soon yesterday. I have a feeling many of them will not be able to finish our their last season here.

hobhog

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2018, 09:15:10 pm »

Good point! If they only gave up 30, that means we only lose by 20 you dolt. Does that not make it even worse? We lost to a C-USA team in every faucet of the game.

Not to mention North Texas called off the dogs offensively in the 4th.

Have you been in a locker room before? Coaches build the demeanor of the kids, if the players have already lost this much confidence in Morris we are in deep doo-doo.

Don't forget this team was competitive in 4 SEC Games last year. Including the last game of the year against Mizzou. Even fat bert could get them better motivated to play

NT Starting QB in whole game. Defense did its job. Our QB and starting RB killed us.

But coaching needs improvement no doubt.

Paul

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2018, 09:16:38 pm »

Do you think a trainer with a donkey would win the KY Detby? We donít have the horses to run this offense. Still goes back to terrible OL play. We canít even double team when supposed to. Itís a talent thing at this point.
it doesn't take talent to line up correctly for a kickoff.  Middle schoolers with decent  coaching do that

Poppa Tart

• Hogvillian
  • Calling the Hogs with my sis.
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2018, 09:43:31 pm »

Do what I do. Keep telling yourself that CCM's only real coaching deficiency is winning with someone else's players. It could happen.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2018, 10:36:49 pm »

You from Park Hill, North Little Rock?

NIce area!  You just to run around those parts back in high school

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2018, 10:41:55 pm »

The problem with saying itís on the players, not the coaches is we donít even do fundamentals right. My 2A HS team had 3 coaches in 3 years and we played better fundamental football than Arkansas did.

Ironhawg

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2018, 10:43:07 pm »

IMHO there is plenty of blame to go around for the start to this season.  We probably have some players whose physical skills don't fit Morris' offense.  We have some running backs who don't seem to be the quickest to hit the hole.  We have quarterbacks who were never intended to be dual threat guys.  We have a lack of speed at wide receiver.   We're woefully undermanned in the offensive line.  We saw last year that our defense is seriously lacking in speed.  On the other hand, I thought Morris touted himself as being a former high school coach and that one of the benefits of having that background is the ability to adapt your game to fit your players?  Maybe I missed it, but it sure doesn't seem like to me we have seen any adaptation from Morris yet. 

LumberBacks

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2018, 10:43:53 pm »

When Chad Morris was named the next coach at Arkansas, many Hogvillians voiced concerns regarding the assembly of his staff.  He basically ditched his defensive coaches and brought his offensive coaches from SMU.  But the offensive assistants are so much less experienced than their SEC contemporaries.

OC Craddock - 3 yrs SMU
OL Fry - 3 yrs SMU
AHC Traylor - 1 yr SMU, 2 yrs. UT
WR Stepp - 3 yrs SMU, 3 yrs App State
TE Lunney - 5 yrs Arkansas

That's a combined 20 years of assistant coaching experience (grad asst experience not counted) at the college level, with only Lunney coaching in the SEC.  Compare that to Chavis who has 37 yrs of coaching experience with 29 in the SEC.  Chavis has almost 2X as much experience as all 5 offensive assistants!  Morris is likely comfortable with Craddock who has been his apprentice at SMU.  But the lack of experience of these coaches compared to their SEC counterparts is not going to impress many recruits and may be responsible for some of the coaching blunders and poor calls, and player development that are so obvious in the first three games.  Morris is quickly losing the fans and some of his players - and next will be recruits - unless he makes some bold moves soon.  He is going to need to consider changes on his staff.  I say go get Briles as the OC and get a seasoned OL assistant who can recruit for starters.  The wide receivers, considered to be a deep and talented group, look lost and slow.  Maybe a new WR coach is also in order.  Hopefully Morris will not let his assistants sink him like Bert allowed.  See Kurt Anderson, Rory Segrest, Chris Ash.

PorkSoda

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2018, 10:45:38 pm »

talent, talent, talent..... we dont have enough of it... not even close...

we don't have enough talent to beat a MWC or a CUSA team?

seriously, that's your argument.  go pull up some recruiting ranking for comparison.

Ironhawg

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2018, 10:46:39 pm »

we don't have enough talent to beat a MWC or a CUSA team?

seriously, that's your argument.  go pull up some recruiting ranking for comparison.

It's the wrong kind of talent for what they're being asked to do?

PorkSoda

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 10:50:10 pm »

It's the wrong kind of talent for what they're being asked to do?
on thing is for sure, Morris did not build the offense around the strengths of his team.

Maybe he is taking the long view, maybe is should have worried about the short term view first, and handled the long term view when he got there.

maybe he forgot that if you don't handle the here and now, he won't be around for then and there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas