• 9,971,221 Posts
• 400,312 Topics
• 22,941 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: If 1-11 is the final record, does...  (Read 5752 times)

Broadway Rob

• Senior
  • Former Theatre Teacher, Sports Fan
If 1-11 is the final record, does...
« on: September 16, 2018, 06:52:19 am »

Chad Morris get the axe?  It's not unprecedented.  Ellis Johnson went 0-12 at Southern Miss and was fired after one season.  I don't think it would be a wise decision, but 11 straight losses would be tough for a coach to survive PR wise. 

I guess it would depend on whether the team improves and actually makes some of these losses respectable.  But who can see that happening at this point?

longtimeHogfan

• All-American Hogvillian
Re: If 1-11 is the final record, does...
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 06:57:27 am »

I bought into the Chad Morris philosophy and thought he might be going to do all the right things.  And maybe he will.  But if he's replaced after a 2-10 or 1-11 season, who do we get?  Who in their right mind would come to this dumpster fire?  We may be left with no options other than riding it out and seeing where we stand in 3-years.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jst01

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 06:59:36 am »

I bought into the Chad Morris philosophy and thought he might be going to do all the right things.  And maybe he will.  But if he's replaced after a 2-10 or 1-11 season, who do we get?  Who in their right mind would come to this dumpster fire?  We may be left with no options other than riding it out and seeing where we stand in 3-years.

This. You have to just ride it out and give him more like 4 years.

Broadway Rob

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 07:01:04 am »

You may be right.  I just wonder if he can survive that?  The seat will be so hot that I doubt his morale could withstand going to that podium each week over and over with no answers. 

Also, as much of a dumpster fire as the Arkansas job is, it's still in the SEC.  Someone would take the job.  I would go full blast at Kiffin (full disclosure, he was my pick all along, never Morris)

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • #gigantedormido
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:06:09 am »

Sometimes I wish we would have taken this,approach w/ John L...we could have saved a boatload of $ and would probably have a better football team.

Broadway Rob

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 07:09:11 am »

Sometimes I wish we would have taken this,approach we John L...we could have saved a boatload of $ and would probably have a better football team.

HAHAHA, saved a boatload of money is correct.  And considering what attendance would have been, you would have needed it.

cpohog

• Senior
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 07:09:56 am »

Absolutely NOT!

Look at what he has to work with;
OF Line that is starting a couple of Fr, A Converted DT(couple months ago) another DT(couple years back) We need HELP and DEPTH. This is not the current coaches fault and given the time needed, he can fix this.

QB To run this style of offense a certain type QB is required which we dont have...If you want to see a QB that can run this O, take a look at the UCF QB, that is the type of QB we need. This can be fixed in time also.

WR for whatever reason have difficulty getting seperation. Are they that slow? Again not the current coaches fault but gan be fixed in time.
Defense.....list is just as lengthy as the offense's list if not more.

Bottom line, we are looking at a total makeover. If we are having this same discussion by year 3 changes will be made, not until then IMO!

twistitup

• Gold Hogvillian
  • #gigantedormido
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 07:10:49 am »

HAHAHA, saved a boatload of money is correct.  And considering what attendance would have been, you would have needed it.

I m convinced he was a better coach than CBB...and would have had a better record.

Smile

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 07:15:30 am »

No, not just based on a 1-11 record. This is not a fire of his creation. You give him 2 years at least. 3-21, you might think about getting the whetstone out.

After 1-11 this year. 4-8  next year (0-8 in the SEC) would be a significant improvement. Maybe we win an SEC game in 2020. Maybe 6-6 and a bowl in 2021.

Broadway Rob

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 07:15:37 am »

I hear all that and I agree for the most part. 

What is this coaches fault:
4th and 1
Cole Kelley
Not running against CSU
Passing the ball in general when you have a garbage OL
And so on...

True that this coach was left with a bare cupboard, but to say that this cupboard isn't better than CSU's or UNT's is false in my opinion.  So it comes down to coaching.  Something Morris is failing miserably with right now. 

WR for whatever reason have difficulty getting seperation. Are they that slow? Again not the current coaches fault but gan be fixed in time.

Bottom line, we are looking at a total makeover. If we are having this same discussion by year 3 changes will be made, not until then IMO!

Dominicanhog

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 07:16:23 am »

Absolutely NOT!

OF Line that is starting a couple of Fr, A Converted DT(couple months ago) another DT(couple years back) We need HELP and DEPTH. This is not the current coaches fault and given the time needed, he can fix this.

QB To run this style of offense a certain type QB is required which we dont have...If you want to see a QB that can run this O, take a look at the UCF QB, that is the type of QB we need. This can be fixed in time also.

I don't disagree, but when all is done in 3 years and he's 4 and 32, I'm not sure that's worth waiting for.. then we'll hear, let's let the new coach get his players.. I think he's in over his head and will never be a winning coach at Arkansas...but I understand the need to give him time...

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 07:20:38 am »

If we keep Chad Morris past this season, there wonít be anything left to rebuild and very few fans left to care.
He was an ill advised gamble, but no more for now we know, he is a sure thing - a ticket straight to the bottom.

Swestwill66

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2018, 07:20:48 am »

Absolutely NOT!

[/quote

It will take a couple of years just to " purge " the Bielema culture.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

• That's nice.... Real nice!
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2018, 07:35:42 am »

What do you tell recruits as to why your program is so bad during all this? It's not my fault I've got a bunch of lame ducks on my team. Come join us and take their spots? I can see that working out about like a  sore Richard.

Marshfieldhog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2018, 08:23:18 am »

Morris will be toast if he goes 1-11 or 2-10. If the new AD had hired him I would think otherwise but he will want his guy.

We have a whole new section of stadium to fill. You canít sell seats for season 2 of Chad Morris.

Athog

• Hogville.net
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 08:25:37 am »

Chad Morris get the axe?  It's not unprecedented.  Ellis Johnson went 0-12 at Southern Miss and was fired after one season.  I don't think it would be a wise decision, but 11 straight losses would be tough for a coach to survive PR wise. 

I guess it would depend on whether the team improves and actually makes some of these losses respectable.  But who can see that happening at this point?

No! He was not hired because we were in great shape!

jkstock04

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2018, 08:27:26 am »

Morris will be toast if he goes 1-11 or 2-10. If the new AD had hired him I would think otherwise but he will want his guy.

We have a whole new section of stadium to fill. You canít sell seats for season 2 of Chad Morris.
This is a fair point...not the ADs guy. Still....I think he has 2 seasons here guaranteed. Imagine what the buyout is to fire him in year one? LOL it may be 15-20 million.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2018, 08:31:51 am »

So Jack Crowe should have been given more time?

Redhogs

• Time to cruise.
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2018, 08:41:43 am »

no you don't

OinkinOregon

• Varsity
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 09:18:01 am »

He gets three seasons as long as he reaches a bowl in 2020. 

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2018, 09:27:00 am »

I don't disagree, but when all is done in 3 years and he's 4 and 32, I'm not sure that's worth waiting for.. then we'll hear, let's let the new coach get his players.. I think he's in over his head and will never be a winning coach at Arkansas...but I understand the need to give him time...

He'll be gone if he loses out, and he should be.

That's life

Breems

• Gold Hogvillian
  • They grow up so fast
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2018, 10:17:22 am »

How many coaches start with a 1-2 win team and successfully rebuild to a 7-8 win team in the mighty SEC? Not many. I don't expect CCM will get it done in 3-4 years. Not a great task for a coach learning on the job.

Most likely scenario is CCM gets us up to 4-6 wins a season and we start over in 4 years.

Hawgzinbowlz

• Hog Spirit
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2018, 10:21:41 am »

This appears to be a long, long slog to extricate ourselves out of this mess...I hope I'm incorrect.

" GO HOGS "

SemperFi

• Thriving in Football Hell
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 10:25:27 am »

To competitive in the SEC you have to recruit SEC level talent and the promise of playing time does not work when the team promising that playing time cannot compete with anyone. Weíre not exactly devoid of talent, however the decisions being made by this coaching staff are stupid. Poor player management; an offensive scheme that is high school at best and an obvious dissension amongst the current players speaks volumes to me. Morris is not the coach that we were sold on so why give this guy 3 years to fix what he is deeply involved with in breaking?

Mike Irwin posted that Cole Kelly got what he wanted when he told the coaches that he is a passing QB. After a dismal performance throwing the ball where he threw 4 picks, was missing open Receivers, was late on throws and launche bombs that the OL could have run under is proof that heís not. So, why couldnít Morris see this and shut it down? He canít because heís in over his head and doesnít know what heís doing. Three more years under this guy is going to do more harm than good. He canít compete with any team in the SEC. Weíre getting ready to see scoring records set against this Razorback team. Good luck recruiting against that.

Hogwild

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 10:27:48 am »

No matter what Morris will be back for year 2.  This will be a multi year rebuild, hoping to make a bowl in 2020.

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 10:28:59 am »

He's got at least 2 yearsto right the ship.

depressed_fan

• Varsity
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 10:29:57 am »

Nope! It's only rock bottom. Only one direction to go and that's up. It might take years to get back to 6-6 but that's fine.

jjdlc

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2018, 10:30:53 am »

Firing any coach after one season is a mistake, unless its for reasons other than performance.  It seriously hampers your ability to bring in any coach, especially good ones.  Morris was far from my first choice, hell, he wasn't even on my list, that said, he is dealing with issues that were not of his making.  After rewatching the first two games, and now this one, I'm not sure there is a coach out there that could have done much offensively with what we have.  Do we have better talent than who we've played?  Sure, but there is a cancer in this team that has grown for 4 years, it is going to have to be cut out, and it is going to take time. 

Hawgzinbowlz

• Hog Spirit
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2018, 10:31:17 am »

To competitive in the SEC you have to recruit SEC level talent and the promise of playing time does not work when the team promising that playing time cannot compete with anyone. Weíre not exactly devoid of talent, however the decisions being made by this coaching staff are stupid. Poor player management; an offensive scheme that is high school at best and an obvious dissension amongst the current players speaks volumes to me. Morris is not the coach that we were sold on so why give this guy 3 years to fix what he is deeply involved with in breaking?

Mike Irwin posted that Cole Kelly got what he wanted when he told the coaches that he is a passing QB. After a dismal performance throwing the ball where he threw 4 picks, was missing open Receivers, was late on throws and launche bombs that the OL could have run under is proof that heís not. So, why couldnít Morris see this and shut it down? He canít because heís in over his head and doesnít know what heís doing. Three more years under this guy is going to do more harm than good. He canít compete with any team in the SEC. Weíre getting ready to see scoring records set against this Razorback team. Good luck recruiting against that.

Been a college football fan since 1964 and this is a low point for the Razorback football program...not good when the John L. and BB times here seem like the "good ole' days".

" GO HOGS "

Rudy Baylor

• We're afraid of STP girls Bluto
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2018, 10:35:38 am »

But if he's replaced after a 2-10 or 1-11 season, who do we get?  Who in their right mind would come to this dumpster fire?

Someone who truly believes in themselves and is not full of crap.

Rudy Baylor

• We're afraid of STP girls Bluto
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 10:36:47 am »

It might take years to get back to 6-6 but that's fine.

smh

DLUXHOG

• It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2018, 10:37:14 am »

Someone who truly believes in themselves and is not full of crap.

Sounds like Jimmy Johnson.....

JBucc

• Senior
  • Go Hogs!
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 10:39:30 am »

If we fire Morris before we give him at least 3 years we'll be right back where we were when we hired him. No good coach in their right mind would come to a 1-11 roster with a mish-mash of players recruited for two polar opposite systems. They would be set up to fail. If there's not big improvements by year 3 then we can move on from Morris and call it a failed experiment. Recruiting looks good this year. Biggest worry is a lack of offensive linemen, that may doom Morris from ever being able to run his system fully. And if KJ is a bust then he's screwed.

bondhue

• Senior
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 11:23:42 am »

What would account for leaving Kelley in after such an awful 1st half, then not pulling him when he came up lame?

The only answer I can come up with is the players made it clear they wanted Kelley and the coaches were making a point.  It makes no sense, but I can't think of another reason.

Broadway Rob

• Senior
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 05:34:16 pm »

He'll be gone if he loses out, and he should be.

That's life

I could see that happening.

BDSCT51

• Varsity
  • My mind, on track
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 05:50:33 pm »

Absolutely NOT!

Pretty spot on Master Chief! (former AT2 here) It will really difficult to be a Hog fan during this time. As I stated in another thread, not sure us "old farts" can suffer that much more. Going to be tough!

davehog

• Senior
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2018, 06:00:04 pm »

Seth Littrell

Sivad

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 06:01:54 pm »

Seth Littrell
What an upgrade over Chad Morris that would be!

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 06:05:49 pm »

I m convinced he was a better coach than CBB...and would have had a better record.

Smile
he did win more games in his first year than CBB did

I'm curious how you would rank these coaches

Jack Crowe (9-15)
Joe Kines (3-6)
Reggie Herring (0-1)
John L Smith (4-8)
Bret Beilema (29-33)
Chad Morris (1-2)

(notOM)Rebel123

• Hogville.net
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2018, 06:12:05 pm »

So Jack Crowe should have been given more time?

Hey, he got 2 years and 1 game.... ;)

GroŖer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is it football season yet?
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2018, 06:21:03 pm »

He's got at least 2 yearsto right the ship.

If his offense is still stagnant come mid-season of next year, heíll be shown the door and weíll have a change at the end of next season.

The AD canít afford to hitch his wagon on to something that isnít working.

Dtechman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2018, 06:26:29 pm »

Absolutely NOT!

How does he get the recruits to fix this? After seeing the terrible product on the field the players he needs wonít come. Can he do anything with them if he does get them on campus? With the coaching errors he is making each week it doesnít look promising.

26.2Hog

• Senior
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2018, 06:27:00 pm »

he did win more games in his first year than CBB did

I'm curious how you would rank these coaches

Jack Crowe (9-15)
Joe Kines (3-6)
Reggie Herring (0-1)
John L Smith (4-8)
Bret Beilema (29-33)
Chad Morris (1-2)

Wanna throw Danny Ford in there at 25-31-1?

Dtechman

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2018, 06:31:49 pm »

Firing any coach after one season is a mistake, unless its for reasons other than performance.  It seriously hampers your ability to bring in any coach, especially good ones.  Morris was far from my first choice, hell, he wasn't even on my list, that said, he is dealing with issues that were not of his making.  After rewatching the first two games, and now this one, I'm not sure there is a coach out there that could have done much offensively with what we have.  Do we have better talent than who we've played?  Sure, but there is a cancer in this team that has grown for 4 years, it is going to have to be cut out, and it is going to take time.
itís his job to cut out those cancers. Do it now coach, what do you have to lose. We arenít winning another game this year anyways. Give us something to look forward to. Man up, take charge and get rid of the toxic members of the team.

PorkSoda

• Gold Hogvillian
  • O_o
    • It's a Jeep thing...
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2018, 06:33:51 pm »

sure, but after that we gotta go back to the 50s to find comparable coaches

Ramtough

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2018, 06:36:53 pm »

[/quote
I try not to look st Bobbyís record here. It just makes me physically ill after a game like Saturday!!

SemperHawg

« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2018, 06:37:54 pm »

I think you also have to factor in how much of this recruiting class he hangs on to.  Will the early signing period be his friend this year?

jjdlc

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2018, 06:50:56 pm »

itís his job to cut out those cancers. Do it now coach, what do you have to lose. We arenít winning another game this year anyways. Give us something to look forward to. Man up, take charge and get rid of the toxic members of the team.

No argument here.  Where we go from here will do more to define CMMs tenure here than these past 3 games.

Oliver

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 06:53:37 pm »

You can change the name of the thread to ďWhen 1-11 is the final record...Ē

fullfan

• Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2018, 07:04:25 pm »

The mirror said we beat a down Tulsa team.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas