• 9,970,412 Posts
• 400,296 Topics
• 22,941 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Kelley got what he asked for  (Read 6569 times)

havok

Re: Kelley got what he asked for
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2018, 09:05:48 am »

If the Oline can't even push anyone around.. then the whole Offensive House of Cards falls apart.  NT (Eastern Illinois too) pushed our Oline back 2 to 3 yards on most every running play.

Nonetheless, it is up to the players and coaches to adjust and find "Something" they do good/well hell I'd take Average at this point...to hang their hat on.  As of now, nothing I can see, makes me think this team will ever win another game unless we play a High School team. (A Small one that is)

ballz2thewall

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2018, 09:06:32 am »

I understand throwing the Freshman in, but not sure why Daulton Hyatt didn't get a look.  Is he undersized or is there some other concerns?

you, me, and perhaps a very few others have asked this.

what's the deal on hyatt? anything specific, like, he's missing some toes and runs in circles?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

oldhog63

« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2018, 09:09:09 am »

. OldHog63 . . . itís true.  Our Oíline flat out quit in the middle of the 3rd Qtr.  Those 2 freshmen were getting sacked multiple times by a 3 man rush.  Think about that, 3 defenders from UNT were getting to our QB with 5, sometimes 6, Oílinemen in front of them.  I donít care who your QB is, when your Oíline absolutely quits on you like that.  It was shameful.  Rewatch the game and just focus on the Oíline.
I'm not saying they didn't do it. Just saying it is stupid on their part to quit like that. OL is the position I played, so is where I focus much of the game.

Not so much this game, but in the other games, not all the issues are OL. I get their frustration because I have seen SO MANY times the backs and QB miss wide open holes. Still no reason to quit. Others on here have said the issues go much deeper than the play on the field and there is no doubt.

pigture perfect

« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2018, 09:09:38 am »

I was hoping for a similar turnaround like we had when Houston Nutt took over for Danny Ford. The difference is, we had upper classmen like Grant and Brandon that were hungry for better things. I donít know of a true leader on this team. Cornelius maybe, but I donít think heís vocal or intimidating enough.

havok

« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2018, 09:33:21 am »

I was hoping for a similar turnaround like we had when Houston Nutt took over for Danny Ford. The difference is, we had upper classmen like Grant and Brandon that were hungry for better things. I donít know of a true leader on this team. Cornelius maybe, but I donít think heís vocal or intimidating enough.

Exactly.  Nutt inherited a team with Solid, Hardened upperclassmen, especially on the Oline...who needed the catalyst of a coach who knew how to push the right motivation buttons. 

This is one soft team, physically & mentally.

From Tusk Till Dawn

• Senior
  • Facts are stubborn things...
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2018, 09:43:41 am »

Mike mentioned qb recruitment.  Say what you want about Storey but he was a 4* Ark kid, as was Noland.  Not sure how you can argue against that, you have to offer them.  CK was always Enosís project cause he was big and had a big arm.  Many in HV said he was the future just last year when they were running down Austin Allen.  The Earle kid may have been a great fit for the system, but he chose not to be here.  I dont know much about Hyatt but CCM speaks well of him.  One could argue that 2 of our qbís might not be on the team if not for being legacies.  So where do we go from here?

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2018, 09:47:38 am »

Mike mentioned qb recruitment.  Say what you want about Storey but he was a 4* Ark kid, as was Noland.  Not sure how you can argue against that, you have to offer them. 

Bingo.  Imagine the meltdown if those highly rated in-state kids weren't offered.

hogsfan31

• Senior
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2018, 10:08:05 am »

Can Kelley not read a defense and find open players? Thatís the only reason I see for him scrambling and throwing the ball up for grabs

No. He either has very little football IQ and has made it thus far on his cannon of an arm alone, OR he doesnít know WTH he is doing and canít run this offense. Well the second part that much is obvious. He canít run this offense. Heís too big, heís too slow in his thought process and his feet, and he is not mobile. He doesnít have it upstairs. He and the WRs/TEs were on a completely different page yesterday all afternoon. When he just heaved the ball up in the air and it was intercepted or incomplete he immediately went to the face of whatever WR he was throwing it to and started complaining and blaming them. Either NONE of the WRs on the team know the offense or were running the correct routes, NONE of the TEs were ever lined up correctly, OR Cole doesnít have a clue.

I did not see Cole go through one single progression yesterday. Not one. He had it in his head who he would throw the ball to and locked on that receiver and stared them down. When the receiver broke open he would miss the window to get them the ball because heís too slow to see it and would hang on to the ball too long. When he threw the INT where the North Texas player looked like it hit the ground before he hauled it in, Cole rolled to the right and held the ball, held the ball, held the ball and then finally threw it right to the NT player. He constantly threw into double coverage all day forcing passes. He was beyond bad. He would run off the field and look like a deer in headlights. I donít even know WTH he was thinking on the flea flicker pass to Jordan Jones. Jones was in double coverage, but wasnít even in position to catch the ball. One time Cole overthrew Woods at WR and then yelled at Woods bc he was saying he ran the wrong route. He didnít run the wrong route, Kelley just didnít understand that Woods wasnít fast enough to get to his overthrown pass.

hogsfan31

• Senior
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2018, 10:10:12 am »

Our WRs need to do more to get open as well. Woods and Jones were the only two at times you could see a window to get them the ball. Most of the day Pettway and Jones were in double coverage. I have no idea why Jared Corneluis even bothered to open his mouth in the press conference last night. What has he done to help his teammates in the last 3 games? NOTHING. Another senior who should be leading the team but plays like heís scared or lazy.

presidenthog

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2018, 10:22:37 am »

Cornelius flatout said he was going to transfer out from here last year til they hired morris. He wanted this offense. He isnt a leader. He is one of the desenters it appears

hoglady

« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2018, 10:32:53 am »

I would think that the QB's have had more that ample practice to improve their accuracy. They do this year around. What we have is a lack of talent at the position that is not suitable for this offense. You can't run a RPO without some threat of the QB keeping it on the edge, neither Kelley or Storey present that option. Do either of the freshmen or Hyatt, obviously not enough for Morris to implement them into the game plan.

Our QB's and receivers are not on the same page.
It certainly doesn't look like they've had enough reps together.

hoglady

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2018, 10:36:41 am »

. OldHog63 . . . itís true.  Our Oíline flat out quit in the middle of the 3rd Qtr.  Those 2 freshmen were getting sacked multiple times by a 3 man rush.  Think about that, 3 defenders from UNT were getting to our QB with 5, sometimes 6, Oílinemen in front of them.  I donít care who your QB is, when your Oíline absolutely quits on you like that.  It was shameful.  Rewatch the game and just focus on the Oíline.

The coach quit when he brought in the freshman - listen to his remarks after the game.
He didn't bring Storey in because of the score - didn't want to put him in that situation.
Maybe the Oline attitude had less to do with the freshman than the realization their coach quit on them in the 3rd quarter.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2018, 10:52:17 am »

I heard from a close friend Ty is transferring to UCA....

How do you feel about this?

I feel for my alma mater.

Fan1958

• Hogvillian
  • The Little Red Hen was obviously a conservative.
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2018, 11:11:21 am »

The coach quit when he brought in the freshman - listen to his remarks after the game.
He didn't bring Storey in because of the score - didn't want to put him in that situation.
Maybe the Oline attitude had less to do with the freshman than the realization their coach quit on them in the 3rd quarter.

And he did exactly what Hogville had called for the entire week leading up to this debacle.

jlhogfan

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2018, 11:13:17 am »

I actually think it was a good move, kind of putting the upperclassmen on notice.

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2018, 12:23:45 pm »

We got lots of things to correct.  IF I was the coach.  1.  I would tell Kelley very politely that his opportunity has passed and that I will be looking for another QB, period. 2.  I would tell Storey the QB job is his to lose.  3. I would draw a chalk line on the field and ask for those who were 100 percent in to step over it and come get onboard.  4.  The rest I would assure would have my blessing to transfer anywhere they wished to go.  And I would play with who I had and take my lumps.  Recruits seeing a team of first and second year players would also see a great opportunity to play as Freshmen.  Those that did step over would hear this.  I hope you folks meant that you were all in because the first time I see different, I will cull you out like cutting rot from a big juicy apple.  I am fed up and tired of this darn.  We will play with heart and soul or you won't play.  5.  I would take OC Crash Craddock aside and quitely let him know that i was going to call most of the offensive plays through him.  He could learn what I like and dislike or he could move on and I would do the OC duties myself.  Of course, I am not the coach and thats a blessing for Hogville.  I could likely stir up an 0-12 season with 50 five stars on the team.  But you would see effort or you wouldn't see anything. 

Deerhunter

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2018, 12:28:08 pm »

All our plays seem very slow developing and I have yet to see up tempo...

moses_007

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2018, 12:46:59 pm »

After the Colorado State game Cole Kelley was overheard saying that he is a passing quarterback and the coaches need to allow him to do what he does best.

Saturday night he got his chance and to me  at least, it was apparent that he can't run this offense. First of all he is immobile under pressure. Against North Texas he consistently threw into single and double coverage which explains his four interceptions.

According to the TV game analyst Kelley missed numerous reads and often failed to spot open receivers. My eyeballs told me that his deep passes were mortar shots that hung in the air so long that defenders had plenty of time to run under the ball and prevent a completion.

The two freshmen are not ready to play. That's pretty much it.

That leaves Storey, who for a period of two quarters in the season opener, showed a grasp of the offense. Maybe he's not the answer either but I'd at least like to see him get the same chance that Morris has given to Kelley.

In the meantime I find myself wondering what Bret Bielema and Dan Enos were thinking when they recruited these QBs. There are five of them on scholarship and the most impressive QB I see in practice day after day is a walkon: Jack Lindsey.
Well, if this is the case, play Lindsey. 

porkrindjimmy

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2018, 12:51:06 pm »

That is just dumb. Two of those OL have pro potential. It just seems stupid on their part to not play all out if for no other reason than to show their pro potential. Just dumb.

Dumb?

Go back and watch the first series after Connor Noland entered the game. Then come back in here and call it dumb.

Pro potential or not, they flat out didn't block for Connor....on frickin purpose.

PRJ

Deerhunter

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2018, 12:52:47 pm »

Dumb?

Go back and watch the first series after Connor Noland entered the game. Then come back in here and call it dumb.

Pro potential or not, they flat out didn't block for Connor....on frickin purpose.

PRJ

It did appear that way.  Our center rolled two snap back there on the ground.  Two in a row actually.  Seemed a little odd to me...

moses_007

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2018, 12:54:57 pm »

Kelley wants to sling it 40 to 60 yards on every pass.  No need for that.  Short passes would take us right down the field. 

porkrindjimmy

« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2018, 12:56:39 pm »

No. He either has very little football IQ and has made it thus far on his cannon of an arm alone, OR he doesnít know WTH he is doing and canít run this offense. Well the second part that much is obvious. He canít run this offense. Heís too big, heís too slow in his thought process and his feet, and he is not mobile. He doesnít have it upstairs. He and the WRs/TEs were on a completely different page yesterday all afternoon. When he just heaved the ball up in the air and it was intercepted or incomplete he immediately went to the face of whatever WR he was throwing it to and started complaining and blaming them. Either NONE of the WRs on the team know the offense or were running the correct routes, NONE of the TEs were ever lined up correctly, OR Cole doesnít have a clue.

I did not see Cole go through one single progression yesterday. Not one. He had it in his head who he would throw the ball to and locked on that receiver and stared them down. When the receiver broke open he would miss the window to get them the ball because heís too slow to see it and would hang on to the ball too long. When he threw the INT where the North Texas player looked like it hit the ground before he hauled it in, Cole rolled to the right and held the ball, held the ball, held the ball and then finally threw it right to the NT player. He constantly threw into double coverage all day forcing passes. He was beyond bad. He would run off the field and look like a deer in headlights. I donít even know WTH he was thinking on the flea flicker pass to Jordan Jones. Jones was in double coverage, but wasnít even in position to catch the ball. One time Cole overthrew Woods at WR and then yelled at Woods bc he was saying he ran the wrong route. He didnít run the wrong route, Kelley just didnít understand that Woods wasnít fast enough to get to his overthrown pass.

Or Three...he doesn't give a damn.

PRJ

gawntrail

• Senior
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2018, 12:59:05 pm »

I just can't imagine the offense is so complicated that we can't execute at least the basic pieces of it to some level of competence with at least one of the QB's on campus.

Itís not.

BDSCT51

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2018, 01:00:39 pm »

We got lots of things to correct.  IF I was the coach.  1.  I would tell Kelley very politely that his opportunity has passed and that I will be looking for another QB, period. 2.  I would tell Storey the QB job is his to lose.  3. I would draw a chalk line on the field and ask for those who were 100 percent in to step over it and come get onboard.  4.  The rest I would assure would have my blessing to transfer anywhere they wished to go.  And I would play with who I had and take my lumps.  Recruits seeing a team of first and second year players would also see a great opportunity to play as Freshmen.  Those that did step over would hear this.  I hope you folks meant that you were all in because the first time I see different, I will cull you out like cutting rot from a big juicy apple.  I am fed up and tired of this darn.  We will play with heart and soul or you won't play.  5.  I would take OC Crash Craddock aside and quitely let him know that i was going to call most of the offensive plays through him.  He could learn what I like and dislike or he could move on and I would do the OC duties myself.  Of course, I am not the coach and thats a blessing for Hogville.  I could likely stir up an 0-12 season with 50 five stars on the team.  But you would see effort or you wouldn't see anything.

THIS! Is the gospel truth and what I was telling myself very early on in the game when it was apparent what was going to happen. I truly gave up when CK came trotting on the field the first series after the half. Just incredibly sad days and times for Razorback football.

RazorPiggie

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2018, 01:02:36 pm »

Easy solution. Kick them off the team and then youíll get to sign 25.

Pork Ranger

« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2018, 01:04:02 pm »

Dumb?

PRJ

That blows my mind.

I remember when something would piss Bobby off. Heíd grab you by the face mask and verbally assault you on the sidelines.

I feel like our coaches should be doing some of that. If the Oline thing is true, itís 100% unacceptable. Watching the film should be interesting

porkrindjimmy

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2018, 01:04:30 pm »

Wow.....

I usually agree with almost everything you say but you are going way out there with this.

What would you have had Morris to do? Kelley isn't very good. Storey isn't very good. He is looking for a spark and brought in Noland. The OLine proceeded to let him.get trucked.

This is football. You go out there and do what the coach tells you, no matter who he trots out there. You buy into what the coach is telling you. You don't sit in that locker room and become a cancer, letting everybody know around you that this coach is trash and how much you miss Stay Puff and snack and juice box time...

It's disgusting. And it ain't Chads fault.

PRJ

#hammerdown

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2018, 01:05:23 pm »

I believe this is the first time I have ever agreed with you. Spot on ole chap. Spot on

It would trash this season but it would build for the future for sure

ballz2thewall

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2018, 01:05:34 pm »

good, effective "passing" qb's often have the ball in the air before the receiver is actually open. drop back guys have more of a problem with that, usually, than quick release guys. kelly made one such connection yesterday and the announcers were all over it.

those quick passes are more often doable than they are open. the qb has to know that. kelly doesn't seem too.

Billy Bats

« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2018, 01:06:16 pm »

Continuing to trot CK out there after that atrocious play was mind boggling.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2018, 01:13:09 pm »

You don't sit in that locker room and become a cancer, letting everybody know around you that this coach is trash and how much you miss Stay Puff and snack and juice box time...

PRJ

If players are doing that it's time for Morris to make some tough managerial decisions and clean house, even if its some of your starters the team will be better off for it. If he doesn't do that, it becomes his fault.

Another thread brought up when Petrino had to do the same thing his first year. The team got better almost immediatly. That said, I don't know how deep this team's problems go but this has been some of the poorest football I have ever seen from a Razorback team.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2018, 01:23:56 pm »

Wow.....

I usually agree with almost everything you say but you are going way out there with this.

What would you have had Morris to do? Kelley isn't very good. Storey isn't very good. He is looking for a spark and brought in Noland. The OLine proceeded to let him.get trucked.

This is football. You go out there and do what the coach tells you, no matter who he trots out there. You buy into what the coach is telling you. You don't sit in that locker room and become a cancer, letting everybody know around you that this coach is trash and how much you miss Stay Puff and snack and juice box time...

PRJ
It may not be his fault, but it's his problem.  Fix it.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2018, 01:30:02 pm »

I've never seen such quit in a team in my entire life. Especially the offensive line. North Texas brings 3 guys and our O-line get absolutely trucked by them.

This team has no heart. Bunch of quitters.
2 weeks in a row the head coach has quit on them, so what should the players do?

RazorPiggie

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2018, 01:34:08 pm »

It did appear that way.  Our center rolled two snap back there on the ground.  Two in a row actually.  Seemed a little odd to me...

Did the same our 1st game.

Deerhunter

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2018, 01:35:10 pm »

Did the same our 1st game.

Ok my bad I must have missed that.  So it must be a center issue then. 

bulldog04

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2018, 01:42:13 pm »

Ok my bad I must have missed that.  So it must be a center issue then. 
We donít have one

SpareRib

• Favorite Memphis Pic!
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2018, 02:05:05 pm »

you, me, and perhaps a very few others have asked this.

what's the deal on hyatt? anything specific, like, he's missing some toes and runs in circles?

I've seen this question asked several times by different folks, but have yet to see an answer.  Can anyone shed any light on this?

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2018, 02:10:43 pm »

Exactly.  Nutt inherited a team with Solid, Hardened upperclassmen, especially on the Oline...who needed the catalyst of a coach who knew how to push the right motivation buttons. 

This is one soft team, physically & mentally.

Choir boys.  That's what long and Bielema wanted and what they got.

pigture perfect

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2018, 02:24:08 pm »

Dumb?

PRJ
Iíve watched it. The OL did miss their blocks, but it is silly to even thing they did it on purpose. By the time that CN entered the game, that line had given up. They may have not played inspired, but they didnít play to get him hurt. That is rediculous.

TeufelHog

• Never Forget, Never Yield!
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2018, 03:06:20 pm »

I'm not saying they didn't do it. Just saying it is stupid on their part to quit like that. OL is the position I played, so is where I focus much of the game.

Not so much this game, but in the other games, not all the issues are OL. I get their frustration because I have seen SO MANY times the backs and QB miss wide open holes. Still no reason to quit. Others on here have said the issues go much deeper than the play on the field and there is no doubt.
Fair enough.  Miss understood your post. 

IAMHogholio

« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2018, 03:14:00 pm »

After the Colorado State game Cole Kelley was overheard saying that he is a passing quarterback and the coaches need to allow him to do what he does best.

Saturday night he got his chance and to me  at least, it was apparent that he can't run this offense. First of all he is immobile under pressure. Against North Texas he consistently threw into single and double coverage which explains his four interceptions.

According to the TV game analyst Kelley missed numerous reads and often failed to spot open receivers. My eyeballs told me that his deep passes were mortar shots that hung in the air so long that defenders had plenty of time to run under the ball and prevent a completion.

The two freshmen are not ready to play. That's pretty much it.

That leaves Storey, who for a period of two quarters in the season opener, showed a grasp of the offense. Maybe he's not the answer either but I'd at least like to see him get the same chance that Morris has given to Kelley.

In the meantime I find myself wondering what Bret Bielema and Dan Enos were thinking when they recruited these QBs. There are five of them on scholarship and the most impressive QB I see in practice day after day is a walkon: Jack Lindsey.

Thank you Mike.  The plain talk is appreciated. 

I donít get why he doesnít want to give Storey a real chance.  It really makes no sense.

Just like he never seems to focus on his best players.   Geez. Jordan Jones and T.J. have proven an ability to make things happen.  Same for Hayden but he is probably still getting his feet under him after the injury.

Just doesnít make sense.

hoglady

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2018, 03:14:46 pm »

Or Three...he doesn't give a damn.

PRJ

If that's the case he shouldn't be on the field- ever.

porkrindjimmy

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2018, 03:14:58 pm »

Iíve watched it. The OL did miss their blocks, but it is silly to even thing they did it on purpose. By the time that CN entered the game, that line had given up. They may have not played inspired, but they didnít play to get him hurt. That is rediculous.

Watch it again.

PRJ

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2018, 03:22:33 pm »

Virtually everyone fails to get it: this is not a player problem, this is a coaching problem.

The coaches failed to find a package of plays that ONE QB could execute. Instead, they have a playbook (or the part taught so far) that cannot be executed by anyone: CK can't make good reads and has a bad default reaction to adversity (throw deep); TS can't throw at all (surprising that someone as savvy as Mike Irwin is still advocating for Mr. Hand Grenade to play QB); DH has fewer plays this year than any scholarship QB (so no telling); and, two true frosh are a work-in-progress, at best.

This is a coaching problem.

If we are going to continue analyzing players, then we should ask why the WRs were continually jogging, not turning around, and (presumably) running wrong routes or making wrong reads. Might be a story there. Or, we should note that the best collection of passes all year came courtesy of CK ... and were paired with some really awful throws.

If we are going to be honest we should note that three incompletions and a scramble followed WRs slipping (really?). We should note that one INT was the result of an OL not holding a block wide and allowing a DE to get his hand in the passing lane. One INT should have been a completion to Harrell who failed to fight for the catch...on a ball that maybe shouldn't have been thrown but was more catchable than many throws this year by any QB.

I don't find much logic being applied. No QB is being handed anything that they can use + the players around them execute. Let's focus on what the coaches are willing to do to meet the talents of the players halfway.

rtr

« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2018, 03:26:41 pm »

Virtually everyone fails to get it: this is not a player problem, this is a coaching problem.

The coaches failed to find a package of plays that ONE QB could execute. Instead, they have a playbook (or the part taught so far) that cannot be executed by anyone: CK can't make good reads and has a bad default reaction to adversity (throw deep); TS can't throw at all (surprising that someone as savvy as Mike Irwin is still advocating for Mr. Hand Grenade to play QB); DH has fewer plays this year than any scholarship QB (so no telling); and, two true frosh are a work-in-progress, at best.

This is a coaching problem.

If we are going to continue analyzing players, then we should ask why the WRs were continually jogging, not turning around, and (presumably) running wrong routes or making wrong reads. Might be a story there. Or, we should note that the best collection of passes all year came courtesy of CK ... and were paired with some really awful throws.

If we are going to be honest we should note that three incompletions and a scramble followed WRs slipping (really?). We should note that one INT was the result of an OL not holding a block wide and allowing a DE to get his hand in the passing lane. One INT should have been a completion to Harrell who failed to fight for the catch...on a ball that maybe shouldn't have been thrown but was more catchable than many throws this year by any QB.

I don't find much logic being applied. No QB is being handed anything that they can use + the players around them execute. Let's focus on what the coaches are willing to do to meet the talents of the players halfway.
What was the problem when we were going 4-8?  Coaching or players? 

hoglady

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2018, 03:31:10 pm »

Dumb?

PRJ

I started to delete the game and I'm glad I didn't.

This has been brought up by numerous people - I didn't notice during the game.
Wow.....

PRJ

At least give Story the 3rd quarter to see if he could get something going.
If he couldn't then get the freshman some time.

But don't admit to giving up on the game in the 3rd quarter by bringing in the freshman.
It was the way his comment was worded.

I guess you're saying we have a player trashing the coach in the locker room - then why in the world is that player getting playing time??  No matter who he is - he should be benched until he gets an attitude adjustment. You can't appease him to shut him up.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2018, 03:44:16 pm »

What was the problem when we were going 4-8?  Coaching or players? 

Both. Last year, I never felt that the players were sandbagging, or going through the motions. And, I was one to point out locker room issues (that came to me from players) the year before, and I don't think that they were the issue then that they are now. I think they were less an issue a year ago than this year.

Simplest answer: coaches didn't trust the talent (or, over-trusted!) or players didn't execute because they lacked the skill to execute.

This year? totally different vibe.

ballz2thewall

« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2018, 04:08:44 pm »

Both. Last year, I never felt that the players were sandbagging, or going through the motions. And, I was one to point out locker room issues (that came to me from players) the year before, and I don't think that they were the issue then that they are now. I think they were less an issue a year ago than this year.

Simplest answer: coaches didn't trust the talent (or, over-trusted!) or players didn't execute because they lacked the skill to execute.

This year? totally different vibe.

the real issue is defining the immediate as "the problem".

this is too short sighted and promotes reckless thinking. someone pointed out that morris went 3-0 against north texas at smu. while not conclusive it's certainly relevant.

at the same time we had tremendous disappointment here on the hill with the previous staff and personnel.

so how is this transitory phase a problem? rather, isn't it more of a solution in the works, via shaking out what's not good?

expectations? - now THIS creates a problem in perspective.

and to that reality: what plays can anyone create that our qb's can run, that everyone else on the team can run, that can win a game?

who the hell knows, but we're not coding a computer in this task. it's not that simple.

the guys with the razor blades are insisting on a cure during the fever phase of things.

remember the totality of last last year, and how bloody AWFUL we were? it would be different if we had some established, proven player commodities, but we have damnn few of them, and we're struggling mightily at the most important spot; qb.

and think about bielema's game-management qb style. he visioned a team where basically any qb could run it. well...............he was wrong in several ways. the first being, he never built a house stout enough to allow a qb to flourish, much less an average qb.

and that's what these qb's are - - average.

so yeah; we could probably design those plays and i have no doubt we ran them. but.......

what about those 3d and 7's?   whatchagonnado then?

hogfansince79

« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2018, 05:13:09 pm »

I agree with the OP... name Storey the starter for this weeks game, and give him 80-90% of the practice reps.  I would also start Williams at runningback (that guy only knows one speed, and he just rips it from the get-go), and spell him with one of the fullbacks.  It looks to me like the other runningbacks do too much dancing and not enough running.

In addition, to get the ball out of Storey's hands fast - use the quick SHORT passing game (so he doesn't get killed by Auburn's defense) to move the ball.  You could go over the top and medium a few times to keep the defense honest, but stick to the quick passes so Storey could build more confidence... at least early on.

I had deja vu all over again several times yesterday when on third and medium the pass was thrown incomplete 30+ yards downfield.  Houston...is that you.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 05:30:15 pm by hogfansince79 »

hawgfan4life

« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2018, 05:21:16 pm »

I would think that the QB's have had more that ample practice to improve their accuracy. They do this year around. What we have is a lack of talent at the position that is not suitable for this offense. You can't run a RPO without some threat of the QB keeping it on the edge, neither Kelley or Storey present that option. Do either of the freshmen or Hyatt, obviously not enough for Morris to implement them into the game plan.
There is light year difference in throwing reps for accuracy and game reps.  Ty has had few game reps with this group of receivers and this system.  Kelley has had far more game reps and most of the reps with the ones and this system.  It is a matter of playing and fine tuning the QB and Receivers together with the play calling.  Only happens with game experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas