• 10,015,670 Posts
• 401,464 Topics
• 22,977 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: top 3 golf courses in the country  (Read 1201 times)

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Fresno St. 11-2 MWC Champions!!
top 3 golf courses in the country
« on: September 15, 2018, 03:05:40 am »

aaaaaaand, go!

Pulled out...

Dillar Dog

Re: top 3 golf courses in the country
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 07:03:41 am »

Cypress

The rest don't matter.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 07:09:37 am »

Cypress

The rest don't matter.
I heard (well, you know what I mean) there is a good one over near tulsa, but the jury is still out on it. 

PP

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 06:03:32 pm »

I think Cypress, Augusta and Pine Valley would get the nod.. I've only played Pine Valley and it was awesome but Oakmont was just as good or better.. they are 2 of the best I've played along with Medinah, Pinehurst, Southern Hills and Arcadia Bluffs....

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 06:57:09 pm »

Canít really speak to courses Iíve never played or seen in person.  Of those Iíve played, Iíd rank them: 

1.  Pebble Beach
2.  Cog Hill
3.  TPC Scottsdale (Stadium Course)

ricepig

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 07:24:05 pm »

1) Cypress Point Club
2) Augusta National Golf Club
3) Pebble Beach Golf Links

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 01:44:58 am »

not even getting a nibble, did gohogs1091 give up his minister of defense title for the Southern Hills?

PP

Jackrabbit Hog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • 6/27/18: Just another layer of scar tissue
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 05:19:35 am »

not even getting a nibble, did gohogs1091 give up his minister of defense title for the Southern Hills?

PP

Canít post until Wapner is over.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 05:20:20 am »

Canít post until Wapner is over.
I was expecting Judge Judy

PP

GolfNut57

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 11:30:26 am »

I was expecting Judge Judy

PP

I prefer Judge Milian myself. She is one hot red head.  ;)

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 09:58:58 pm »

1) Cypress Point Club
Hard to argue with that list.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 10:58:43 pm »

1.  Southern Hills   Especially after the $19 million renovation is complete.  There will be no weaknesses.  For instance, they will have a hydronics system, a series of flexible tubing just below the root surface that allows for the pumping of warm or cool water to raise or lower the temperature of the green surface.  Just a few courses in the world have a hydronics system.

2.  Merion (East Course)  Regarded as the best routing in the world.  They happen to be undergoing some renovation.  A Sub-Air System is being put in.

3.  Crystal Downs  A very good photo tour below.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49858.0.html

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 12:34:22 am »

1.  Southern Hills   Especially after the $19 million renovation is complete.  There will be no weaknesses.  For instance, they will have a hydronics system, a series of flexible tubing just below the root surface that allows for the pumping of warm or cool water to raise or lower the temperature of the green surface.  Just a few courses in the world have a hydronics system.

2.  Merion (East Course)  Regarded as the best routing in the world.  They happen to be undergoing some renovation.  A Sub-Air System is being put in.

you must be tired, bub

PP

Dillar Dog

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 06:17:53 am »

you must be tired, bub

PP

And wrong.

Everyone has an opinion I guess.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2018, 06:25:14 am »

And wrong.

Everyone has an opinion I guess.
it was a rather short response to the question, not his typical input.  I was actually expecting a hole by hole breakdown with flyovers.  I'm sure he has the plans for the renovation in a nice frame in his mancave.

PP

Dillar Dog

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 07:18:43 am »

And I know of a course in Arkansas with hydronics.  Any time southern hills stepped their game up.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 07:22:01 am »

And I know of a course in Arkansas with hydronics.  Any time southern hills stepped their game up.
Waldron Country Club trimmed that tree on #2 fairway, they should get a nod from someone

PP

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 09:30:42 am »

Waldron Country Club trimmed that tree on #2 fairway, they should get a nod from someone

PP
Waldron CC is one of the few courses in Ark I haven't played. Is it worth the effort?
Nashville, AR CC is on the list too. I heard it was decent.

H&D

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 10:25:03 am »

Eagle Crest, I can't afford or simply can't get into any of these other places so they don't matter to me.

GolfNut57

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 11:17:12 am »

Eagle Crest, I can't afford or simply can't get into any of these other places so they don't matter to me.

Speaking  of Eagles....who here has played the course at Eagle Mountain in Batesville? I did once and thought it was a fairly decent course.

joeyself

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 02:40:53 pm »

PP

Number 2 at Waldron is a par 3, I think.  I do remember a tree on the par 5 #3 that I hit behind a few times. 

I've played it a half-dozen times, and it's not bad for a small town course.  It's no Eagle Crest or even Ben Geren when Geren is in good shape, but I enjoy it for what it is.

JcS

kingofdequeen

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2018, 02:57:32 pm »

frick Nashville. 

Dominicanhog

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 04:34:34 pm »

Yeah, I played Crystal Downs, I thought  Arcadia Bluffs was better, but they are both spectacular.. Treetops is another in the area.. Did all 3 the same weekend.. great trip...

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 10:48:11 pm »

Number 2 at Waldron is a par 3, I think.  I do remember a tree on the par 5 #3 that I hit behind a few times. 

I've played it a half-dozen times, and it's not bad for a small town course.  It's no Eagle Crest or even Ben Geren when Geren is in good shape, but I enjoy it for what it is.

JcS
yeah, elevated tee box, trees blocked the view of the green.  so you typically just lofted it up there with a wedge or 5i for us short knockers.  then lo and behold, you had to take into account the next hole, which you spoke of.

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2018, 10:49:16 pm »

Waldron CC is one of the few courses in Ark I haven't played. Is it worth the effort?
just a little 9 hole, not much to speak of, its private, for alcohol purposes.  but for a poor kid with an even poorer game, it was fun.

PP

joeyself

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 08:58:41 am »

just a little 9 hole, not much to speak of, its private, for alcohol purposes.  but for a poor kid with an even poorer game, it was fun.

PP

Private, but non-members don't have a problem getting on the course, at least during the week.  I've never tried on a weekend.

JcS

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 10:06:25 am »

Speaking  of Eagles....who here has played the course at Eagle Mountain in Batesville? I did once and thought it was a fairly decent course.
Yes, but it's been a while. Played it in 2004 and 2007.
I enjoyed it.
Zoysia fairways as I recall. Course kinda wraps around the base of the mountain for some holes and the rest of the course is in a open, flattish valley. One hole is close to the White River, although you can't really see it through the vegetation.

jfan01

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2018, 12:23:46 am »

Yeah, I played Crystal Downs, I thought  Arcadia Bluffs was better, but they are both spectacular.. Treetops is another in the area.. Did all 3 the same weekend.. great trip...

I've played both of these recently. Crystal Downs was amazing, even in a pretty hard rain much of the round. Did not care for Arcadia Bluffs. May have just caught it on a bad day, but it seemed tricked up to me. The greens were too fast to hold the ball in the wind when we played it. We all preferred the new South Course at Arcadia Bluffs. The views at the Bluffs course are definitely hard to beat, but the golf course wasn't much in my opinion.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2018, 06:32:49 am »

I've played both of these recently. Crystal Downs was amazing, even in a pretty hard rain much of the round. Did not care for Arcadia Bluffs. May have just caught it on a bad day, but it seemed tricked up to me. The greens were too fast to hold the ball in the wind when we played it. We all preferred the new South Course at Arcadia Bluffs. The views at the Bluffs course are definitely hard to beat, but the golf course wasn't much in my opinion.

That's funny, the greens are the reason I liked Arcadia Bluffs .. As I mentioned Fazio's Treetops is nice, Bay Harbour is a really good golf course and the Bear Club in Travers City is a beast.. Northern Michigan has some really good courses.. diverse in style.. easily one of the better destinations for a lot of great golf.

jfan01

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 09:24:24 am »

That's funny, the greens are the reason I liked Arcadia Bluffs .. As I mentioned Fazio's Treetops is nice, Bay Harbour is a really good golf course and the Bear Club in Travers City is a beast.. Northern Michigan has some really good courses.. diverse in style.. easily one of the better destinations for a lot of great golf.

The greens were in good shape, just a terrible setup for the conditions we played in. On 8 we had putts that went 2 feet past the hole, then back at you, leaving a 30 footer. On several holes, if you didn't flag it, you couldn't get the ball on the right level of the green from just off the green because the green speed / wind combo made it impossible for even the best short game players. You basically had to hit it to 2 feet or make bogey at best on several holes. There were also too many blind shots for my liking. The bunkers were cool. I didn't play out of any, but had fun watching the guys I was playing with down there.

Couldn't agree more about Michigan golf though. We also played several days at Forest Dunes, which happens to be owned by an Arkansan. The Loop is a new course there that is very different and fun to play. Not a hard course, but fun to play. That is a great destination for a big group. Great accommodations and a relaxed feel.

Arcadia Bluffs seemed more like a couples retreat than a place for avid golfers to me. Great views and very nice facilities. I just didn't love the course. As I said though, the South Course is cool. Don't know when you were up there. It just opened up before we went in September.

HoGs1031

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 03:51:24 pm »

Have to throw in Pacific Dunes and Bandon Dunes. Both are in the top 5 Public courses year in and year out.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2018, 01:22:17 am »

I think that course over in tulsa has dropped down the list some....they are having to spend millions in upgrades, just to get people to play it.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2018, 05:56:26 am »

1) Cypress Point Club

Have you gotten to play Pebble?  Have you ever been to Casa De Campo and played the Teeth of the Dog?  If not and you get a chance, It's as good, imo, better than Pebble... and best thing is, you can stay for a week and play daily for what Pebble cost for a 2 night stay and play...

disclosure:  shameless plug for one of my home courses..

ricepig

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2018, 11:14:51 am »

Have you gotten to play Pebble?  Have you ever been to Casa De Campo and played the Teeth of the Dog?  If not and you get a chance, It's as good, imo, better than Pebble... and best thing is, you can stay for a week and play daily for what Pebble cost for a 2 night stay and play...

disclosure:  shameless plug for one of my home courses..

Yeah, I've played Pebble a few times, my cousin is a member at Cypress and has a home in the area. I haven't been to Casa De Campo, but looks like one to add to the list.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2018, 11:26:34 am »

Yeah, I've played Pebble a few times, my cousin is a member at Cypress and has a home in the area. I haven't been to Casa De Campo, but looks like one to add to the list.

Hopefully you've played Cypress, lucky you if so... I've never had the pleasure.. buddy of mine plays in their member/member.. brags about it,  thus my ranking it Numero Uno.. along with numerous writers, of course.... Casa de Campo is definitely a world class golf destination, if you enjoy good trophy style golf courses,  they've got 3 or 4...

ricepig

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2018, 11:53:59 am »

Hopefully you've played Cypress, lucky you if so... I've never had the pleasure.. buddy of mine plays in their member/member.. brags about it,  thus my ranking it Numero Uno.. along with numerous writers, of course.... Casa de Campo is definitely a world class golf destination, if you enjoy good trophy style golf courses,  they've got 3 or 4...
Yeah, I've played Cypress once, it was great. I don't do as many "golf trips" as I used to, but still try to get one in every year. We got to where our get away was Cabo and Las Ventanas and the courses around there, but my buddy lost his wife and we haven't scheduled a trip there lately.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2018, 12:13:55 pm »

Yeah, I've played Cypress once, it was great. I don't do as many "golf trips" as I used to, but still try to get one in every year. We got to where our get away was Cabo and Las Ventanas and the courses around there, but my buddy lost his wife and we haven't scheduled a trip there lately.

Cabo has some fun courses and the Sea of Cortez maybe the most beautiful anywhere but those lengthy flights (for those of us who fly commercial) .. kinda like going to Bandon... lol,  bitching about a 1 inch eagle putt...

kingofdequeen

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2018, 01:22:41 pm »

you just know the courses in Cuba are better.

hog2tulsa

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2018, 01:33:00 pm »

1) Cypress Point - only played it once, but absolutely amazing!
2) Seminole - fortunate enough to have played it several times.  Classic Donald Ross.  I understand Crenshaw/Coore did a lot of work over the summer, so will be anxious to see any changes they made if I get to play there again.
3) Pebble Beach - some great, some not so great holes, but you can't beat the views and the atmosphere.

At the risk of chastisement, Southern Hills needs to be near the top of any list.  It has held its own many times!

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2018, 02:33:54 pm »

Shadow Creek deserves some votes.
I was really impressed by it.
A lot of subtle things done very well there, with an unlimited budget. It shows.
Just to name one...each hole is its own oasis. You can't see another hole from the hole you're on, for 18 holes.

jfan01

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2018, 01:20:14 am »

A lot of subtle things done very well there, with an unlimited budget. It shows.
Just to name one...each hole is its own oasis. You can't see another hole from the hole you're on, for 18 holes.

I agree with this too. It is pretty amazing. You have no idea you are in the middle of the desert when you play it.

Another cool bonus... You'll likely see some fighter jet doing training exercises.

Good chance there will be a celebrity in the clubhouse too if you're into that.

The golf course stands on its own though.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2018, 02:05:09 am »

is that in Vegas?  and if so, I think that one is Ron White's favorite, he said.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2018, 11:42:37 am »

is that in Vegas?  and if so, I think that one is Ron White's favorite, he said.
Ron 'Tater Salad' White? So would that be a positive or negative vote? Ha

Yes, it's in Vegas. It's open to MGM property customers.
No celebrity sightings the day I was there. It was pretty quiet. This was February 2005, I think.
There is a knock-off of Shadow Creek in Vegas called The Wynn, it's about 10 years old. Nice course, not as nice as the original though.
I would consider Shadow Creek the equivalent of Pebble Beach: expensive, but a place a serious golfer needs to knock off their bucket list at some point.

jfan01

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2018, 07:38:43 pm »

No celebrity sightings the day I was there. It was pretty quiet. This was February 2005, I think.
There is a knock-off of Shadow Creek in Vegas called The Wynn, it's about 10 years old. Nice course, not as nice as the original though.
I would consider Shadow Creek the equivalent of Pebble Beach: expensive, but a place a serious golfer needs to knock off their bucket list at some point.

I think the Wynn just closed.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2018, 08:33:35 pm »

one in the same, think he just posted a picture on his fb page, noting it was his most favorite hole......I bet his wife was pissed.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2018, 09:56:50 pm »

Here is a good video regarding the work being done at Southern Hills.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2018, 12:15:22 am »

why are they messing with perfection, as you would put it

Dillar Dog

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2018, 08:50:26 am »

This thread is about the top 3 courses in the country.

Go start a new thread if you want to talk about southern hills.

Pulled(PP)pork

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2018, 08:56:53 pm »

This thread is about the top 3 courses in the country.

Go start a new thread if you want to talk about southern hills.
bwahahahahahahaha

#pwned
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas