• 9,924,987 Posts
• 399,207 Topics
• 22,882 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hogs, McBride parting a mutual call according to sources ...  (Read 5465 times)

Kevin McPherson

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Hogs, McBride parting a mutual call according to sources ...
« on: September 15, 2018, 12:14:33 am »

In a development that comes as no surprise, the Arkansas Razorbacks and 2019 Issac McBride are parting ways and "moving on" in what appears to be a mutual decision after a fast-and-fizzling courtship, according to multiple sources.

Arkansas extended a scholarship offer to McBride (6-1 combo guard, Baptist Prep, Joe Johnson Hawks, Nat'l No. 110 / 4-star prospect according to Rivals.com) on Monday, August 27, then two weeks later Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson and associate head coach Melvin Watkins watched him practice on Monday, September 10, before an in-home visit with the McBride family later that evening. But no official-visit date to Fayetteville was scheduled by the time Arkansas coaches left the in-home visit.

By Thursday night, Arkansas coaches had made a decision to move on, and by Friday morning the McBride family had come to the same conclusion. When both sides spoke later on Friday, they agreed it was the best course to take.

In recruiting, things can and do change and players and coaches have been known to do 180s on decisions, but that seems an unlikely possibility at this stage of the process.

McBride's meteoric rise as a high-major prospect during the Las Vegas Fab 48 grassroots basketball event has been well-documented, with the likes of Kansas, TCU, Oklahoma State, Auburn, SMU, Tennessee, Wichita State, and Loyola-Chicago making offers in the final days of July through the first week of August.

McBride took an unofficial visit to Kansas on Monday, Aug. 6, he hosted Jayhawks' head coach Bill Self for an in-home visit on Tuesday, Sept. 11, and he's set for an official visit to Kansas the weekend of Sept. 28-30. McBride also hosted TCU coaches for an in-home visit on Sunday, Sept. 9, and was slated to take an official visit to Fort Worth this weekend, but a source confirmed that TCU is no longer being considered and that the OV was cancelled. McBride is scheduled to host Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl for an in-home visit on Monday, Sept. 17, and is set to follow that up with an official visit to Auburn the weekend of Sept. 21-23. Virginia head coach Tony Bennett was in Little Rock on Thursday to watch McBride practice at Baptist Prep, and a source confirmed that Bennett has indicated intentions to return for another visit.

Here is the latest regarding visit schedules for Arkansas Razorbacks recruits ...

* '19 Hog hoops commit Justice Hill (5-11 point guard, Little Rock Christian Academy, Joe Johnson Hawks) hosted Head Hog Mike Anderson and associate head coach Melvin Watkins for an in-home visit on Monday, Sept. 10 ... Hill also intends to take only 1 official visit for basketball, and that is planned for Oct. 5-7 to Fayetteville, the same weekend that Arkansas hosts Alabama in football. Hill intends to use his other 4 official visits for football, beginning with Memphis which will likely happen the weekend of Oct. 12-14. Georgetown, Mississippi State, and Miami are the other schools being considered for the other 3 official football visits.

* '19 Hog offer Javon Franklin (6-7 combo forward, Little Rock Parkview, Holmes Community College) hosted Hog coaches on Wednesday, 9/12, for an on-campus visit at Holmes CC. Franklin, who also had Georgetown (Tues, Sept 11) and Missouri (Thurs, Sept 13) in for on-campus visits at Holmes, said he's looking to OV with Arkansas during basketball season. In addition to those schools, Franklin is getting recruiting interest from Memphis, Auburn, Ole Miss, Wichita State, and San Diego State.

* '19 Hog offer Sammy Hunter (6-9 forward, British Columbia Christian Academy by way of the Bahamas) has said multiple times that he plans to take an official visit to Fayetteville. He said  he's considering dates in both September and October to take that visit, and he said he plans to also visit Ole Miss and Santa Clara. Hunter picked up recent offers from Arkansas, Ole Miss, Kansas State, and Western Kentucky to go with previous offers from Santa Clara, Colorado State, St. Mary's College, San Francisco, Pacific, and Chicago State.

* 2019 Demontay Dixon (6-9, 205, forward / center, Walters State Community College in Tennessee) confirmed Tuesday, Sept 11, that Arkansas has begun recruiting him within the past week, and he said he's "very interested" in the Hogs. Dixon said he is being recruited by Arkansas assistant coach T.J. Cleveland, and that Cleveland informed him that Arkansas coaches plan to come to Walters State soon for an on-campus visit. Dixon, who is a freshman qualifier and will have 4 years to play 3 at the D1 level, said he'd like to sign during the early period in mid-November but may wait till the spring. He does not have a visit to Fayetteville planned at this time.

* '20 Hog offer Chris Moore (6-6 combo forward, West Memphis, Woodz Elite) recently took the first of his five junior-year official visits to Arkansas (Aug. 31-Sept. 2), and Arkansas coaches were at West Memphis on Tuesday, Sept. 11, to watch him practice. Here are his upcoming planned visits: Ole Miss (unofficial, Sept. 14), Auburn (official, Sept. 22), Memphis (unofficial, Oct. 6), North Carolina (unofficial, Oct. 12), and Kentucky (official, Oct. 19). Including Arkansas, Moore is expecting up to 14 college coaches to do on-campus (high school) visits in the near future. Moore holds offers from the Hogs, Iowa State (he recently took an unofficial visit there), Ole Miss, Memphis, TCU, SMU, and others.

* According to a source, '20 Hog offer Davonte Davis (6-3 point guard, Jacksonville, Woodz Elite) is expected to get on-campus (high school) visits from coaches from "Oregon, Oklahoma State, and Auburn" in the coming weeks. Davis, who took an unofficial visit to Oklahoma State on Saturday, Sept. 8, is most likely to take his five junior-year official visits to Arkansas, Oregon, Florida, Oklahoma State, and Auburn, according to the same source (although visit dates have not been set). "Devo" holds offers from Arkansas, Oregon, Florida, Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Auburn, and others.

* '20 Hog offer Jaylin Williams (6-9 forward / center, Fort Smith Northside, Joe Johnson Hawks) reported that Arkansas associate head coach Melvin Watkins was on hand Friday, Sept. 14, to watch him practice. Williams said he is looking to take an unofficial visit to Fayetteville in October with intentions to take a junior-year official visit there, too. Williams, who said Tulsa coaches were in to see him practice recently and that Oklahoma State coaches have told him that they'll be in to see him soon, too, confirmed he has completed his NCAA Clearinghouse requirements and is awaiting NCAA approval to begin setting his five junior-year official visits. Williams has offers from the Hogs, TCU, Tulsa, and Lamar with Oklahoma State, Stanford, and other high-major programs showing interest.

Dominicanhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Re: Hogs, McBride parting a mutual call according to sources ...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 06:05:35 am »

Looks like a numbers issue..  appears to be like and respect ...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Porked Tongue

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 12:40:55 pm »

I don't buy it.  Anderson slow played him and never was in the chase.  Then once he decided to get it he thought it was an easy flip and he found out he was wrong.

I like Mike.  But he seems to think he can dive in late and swoop up players that he has not given much effort towards initially.

This is a prime example.

McBride taking the high road.
Anderson covering his butt on this one.

MakingPlays

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 12:54:26 pm »

I don't buy it.  Anderson slow played him and never was in the chase.  Then once he decided to get it he thought it was an easy flip and he found out he was wrong.

I like Mike.  But he seems to think he can dive in late and swoop up players that he has not given much effort towards initially.

This is a prime example.

Because Kansas, TCU, Auburn, and Virginia were giving him so much love, that's why they all offered him years ago and been recruiting him so hard... Oh, wait.

And nobody thinks CMA is perfect but you're spouting this "slow play" non-sense is ridiculous. You tried to say some stuff like this in another thread and quickly left when people started asking you to provide evidence.  The facts here are McBride was an unranked kid considered by most a mid-major player, he played extremely well against great competition in Vegas a couple months ago, he blew up after that, big schools came in and offered, staff doesn't technically have a scholarship to offer McBride, but they still tried to make a way, but it just didn't work out.  How all of that played out in your head as Anderson thinking he's some big shot that likes to slow play kids is beyond me.

HogBreath

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 01:04:39 pm »

Because Kansas, TCU, Auburn, and Virginia were giving him so much love, that's why they all offered him years ago and been recruiting him so hard... Oh, wait.

And nobody thinks CMA is perfect but you're spouting this "slow play" non-sense is ridiculous. You tried to say some stuff like this in another thread and quickly left when people started asking you to provide evidence.  The facts here are McBride was an unranked kid considered by most a mid-major player, he played extremely well against great competition in Vegas a couple months ago, he blew up after that, big schools came in and offered, staff doesn't technically have a scholarship to offer McBride, but they still tried to make a way, but it just didn't work out.  How all of that played out in your head as Anderson thinking he's some big shot that likes to slow play kids is beyond me.
So basically, we offered him a schollie, even though we didn't have one to offer, and after a couple of weeks, we decided we can't offer anyone, we have no spots left?

HawgnCorona

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 01:06:16 pm »

Why cant it just be as Kevin stated. A mutual parting of the way? Im good with that...

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 01:06:38 pm »

This is a prime example.

Folks are going to take away what they want. Arkansas always had an uphill climb for a variety of reasons, some that I believe fall on the staff, so it's an easy case to make that Arkansas was "never in the chase." The delay in making an offer once the other HM programs did only made matters tougher. I KNOW that Anderson didn't make the McBride offer believing or expecting he'd get an "easy flip", so we can put that to rest now. Arkansas coaches knew they were behind with a lot of work to do BEFORE choosing to offer McBride, and both sides were open to an in-home visit to see where it could go. Any crack in the door effectively closed there.

Was this truly a mutual decision to move on? I think so, because the details and timeline of what I was getting from those directly involved made it obvious to me that neither side was fully buying into the other throughout the late process. And to say that McBride is taking the high road while CMA is just covering his butt is wrong, nothing to support that with the details that I've learned. We can speculate, maybe even conclude, that some mistakes were made, but I think it ended with both sides agreeing that the best play was to move on.

Now, I do think Arkansas is often slow to make offers and slow to get deep into recruiting players, so I can agree with your point that coming in late (or later than other HMs) has been problematic. McBride was an example on some levels.

MakingPlays

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 01:07:13 pm »

So basically, we offered him a schollie, even though we didn't have one to offer, and after a couple of weeks, we decided we can't offer anyone, we have no spots left?

Do you guys not like reading or something???  McPherson has posted in great depth this entire situation over the past few weeks.  Please go read his posts regarding this situation it will answer all your questions.

Porked Tongue

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 01:10:55 pm »

I'm fine with you(Making Plays) disagreeing.  I'll stick to what I know and have seen.

McBride has been a well known instate player for several years.   Funny that others were on him.  There is a perception among connectedd fans and some AR high school coaches that Mike can be distant at times. 

He doesn't like to be told "no" and subsequently will use lower level coaches to feel things out on some prospects.  He want's to hear they will commit before he officially offers.  When it comes to some in state players he seems to think he can come in at any time and offer them and they'll accept.

It's just his way.

Porked Tongue

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 01:14:02 pm »

Do you guys not like reading or something???  McPherson has posted in great depth this entire situation over the past few weeks.  Please go read his posts regarding this situation it will answer all your questions.
Yes Hog Breath, just follow this guy along like a sheep and don't trust other informed sources.  BTW, this is not a slam at Kevin.  I think he does a great job and is more honest than most.

HogBreath

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2018, 01:16:53 pm »

Seems silly to be offering spots when we don't have any, thanks for clearing it all up.  But then I always felt like a class with a dozen or so in it was just waaay too much.

MakingPlays

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2018, 01:19:47 pm »

I'm fine with you disagreeing.  I'll stick to what I know and have seen.

McBride has been a well known instate player for several years.   Funny that others were on him.  There is a perception among connectedd fans and some AR high school coaches that Mike can be distant at times. 

He doesn't like to be told "no" and subsequently will use lower level coaches to feel things out on some prospects. He want's to hear they will commit before he officially offers. When it comes to some in state players he seems to think he can come in at any time and offer them and they'll accept.

It's just his way.

If that's the case why is he offered all of the 2020 guys when none of them have committed and it looks like recruitment for all of them is going to be a battle?  As my father in law would say that dog don't hunt. 

I asked you back in another thread to provide evidence that he likes to do that, and you provided none.  Since his time here he's been one of the first to offer in-state players that are for sure high major prospects.  If there's been guys like McBride or say Payton Willis that were tweeners and didn't really become high major prospects until late, yea of course they are going to prioritize other guys, it doesn't mean they are trying to slow play them or afraid of them saying no, just means they are doing like every other coach and evaluating them and seeing what happens.  And I say all of that not being the biggest fan of his recruiting style.  I think it's a bit too old school.  As a fan they are too secretive for my liking, before Kevin came along we didn't get a ton of updates and you really never knew too much of what they were doing.  But, as far as this McBride situation and other in-state recruits I do see the logic in what they've done.

HogBreath

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2018, 01:22:58 pm »

Yes Hog Breath, just follow this guy along like a sheep and don't trust other informed sources.  BTW, this is not a slam at Kevin.  I think he does a great job and is more honest than most.
Yes...Kevin does do an awesome job...always very professional. 

MakingPlays

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2018, 01:27:51 pm »

I'm not being a sheep, there's some other media guys that will remain unnamed that will just say anything to do defend both football or basketball staff at the expense of their credibility I take what they say with a grain of salt.  Kevin, goes in depth and gives an honest opinion for the most part even if it's not always glorifying the staff, he's been close to the McBride situation I trust what he says about it, that's why I told Hogbreth to go read what he says because he explained everything that happened step by step basically.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 01:35:22 pm »

I'm fine with you(Making Plays) disagreeing.  I'll stick to what I know and have seen.

He doesn't like to be told "no" and subsequently will use lower level coaches to feel things out on some prospects.  He want's to hear they will commit before he officially offers.  When it comes to some in state players he seems to think he can come in at any time and offer them and they'll accept.

It's just his way.

I'm truly not on a mission to disrespect your takes or opinions, but McBride didn't have a single HM offer until late July (about 6 weeks ago). He's a great young man and outstanding player who has earned his recent HM-offer fortunes, but c'mon. And I understand why Arkansas prospects, parents, and fans hold UA to a different standard than other HMs regarding in-state kids, but again no HM schools had pulled the trigger on an offer till late July. Now, the fact that Arkansas waited 30 days later to offer is fair game to criticize, I think it only added more steep steps to the climb. Also, Arkansas typically makes offers to kids who express they will visit and can see themselves eventually committing, but it's not a requirement on all offers that go out that a kid must commit. And, many schools have similar tacks in how they manage offers, visits, and expectations for commitments. Most all recruiting starts at the assistant level before the HC gets involved, so that's not unusual. I can't dispute what "connected fans and some AR high school coaches" have shared with you about Mike being "distant at times", and I won't even try to challenge that because I have no doubt there are folks who feel that way.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 02:42:43 pm »

This is a prime example.

First off, you donít like Mike. So you lose all credibility. Youíve made that known for quite some time......Mike was never going to take a commitment in the early signing period from McBride. He was hoping he could get him to wait till the spring but he wouldnít. To make this out to be anything more than that is comica. Still wonder why you are a Mod with all the garbage you spew about the program.

azhog10

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2018, 02:43:16 pm »

I'm truly not on a mission to disrespect your takes or opinions, but McBride didn't have a single HM offer until late July (about 6 weeks ago). He's a great young man and outstanding player who has earned his recent HM-offer fortunes, but c'mon. And I understand why Arkansas prospects, parents, and fans hold UA to a different standard than other HMs regarding in-state kids, but again no HM schools had pulled the trigger on an offer till late July. Now, the fact that Arkansas waited 30 days later to offer is fair game to criticize, I think it only added more steep steps to the climb. Also, Arkansas typically makes offers to kids who express they will visit and can see themselves eventually committing, but it's not a requirement on all offers that go out that a kid must commit. And, many schools have similar tacks in how they manage offers, visits, and expectations for commitments. Most all recruiting starts at the assistant level before the HC gets involved, so that's not unusual. I can't dispute what "connected fans and some AR high school coaches" have shared with you about Mike being "distant at times", and I won't even try to challenge that because I have no doubt there are folks who feel that way.
He has no idea what heís saying. Just wants a chance to take a pot shot at MA.

azhog10

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2018, 02:46:52 pm »

Why cant it just be as Kevin stated. A mutual parting of the way? Im good with that...
BecauS PT wouldnít be able to take a shot at Mike. He constantly hides behind the I like mike but....

At least guys like Hogsanitu donít hide how they feel and try to come off as unbiased. Complete joke statements....

ShadowHawg

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2018, 05:12:43 pm »

BecauS PT wouldnít be able to take a shot at Mike. He constantly hides behind the I like mike but....

At least guys like Hogsanitu donít hide how they feel and try to come off as unbiased. Complete joke statements....

He literally called for firing MA at the end of last season. I guess you don't want him liking you.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2018, 06:06:23 pm »

This is a prime example.

Rarely say this, but youíre wrong on this one. The staff never believed, even when they offered him I didnít believe it. This staff goes after young guys. McBride wouldíve been no different.. but all this is moot cause we have no scholarships at this point anyways. Everybody has their theories though.

HawgnCorona

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2018, 07:18:33 pm »

PT, who (in the recruiting and jump ball forum) is more informed than Kevin? I think most of HV that visit this forum would say hands down he is the "most informed", too...And I dont think there is any question about that.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2018, 09:38:51 pm »

And yet heís a Mod. Baseball forum is so nice bc guys like him are booted from the board. Yet in jumpball they are made Mods....smdh.

Heís becoming a joke. Once reliable, now has his agenda.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2018, 10:12:24 pm »

PT, who (in the recruiting and jump ball forum) is more informed than Kevin? I think most of HV that visit this forum would say hands down he is the "most informed", too...And I dont think there is any question about that.

Not even close. Cud b sum nv.

Hawg Red

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2018, 11:54:39 pm »

I think McBride moved on from Arkansas a long, long time ago. Heís in the state of Arkansas and didnít get an offer until until the end of the first month of school his senior year. Thatís really late for the lone in-state high-major school to offer. Iím sure he was well aware of the scholarship situation and what that really meant ó they chose Justice Hill over him. Then they came and offered after other high-majors offered. Heís got to be thinking, ďOh, *now* you want me?Ē Canít blame him. Canít blame Mike for not offering a while back but it was kind of a bad look offering after othee high-majors. Doesnít matter, I bet. McBride accepted long ago he wouldnít be a Hog and I bet that is a tough course of action to reverse this late into it. Heís going to be signing with a school in a couple months. Why would he sign with one that he was right under their nose all along and didnít make him a priority? Again, completely understand why the Hogs didnít prioritze him, but Iím thinking from his perspective.

Anyway, wish McBride well and hope heís a Jayhawk and not in the SEC.

Jim Harris

• Global Moderator
  • Bring me some DTs!
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2018, 03:39:42 pm »

It's just his way.

Mike sounds like how some guys probably approached trying to date girls back when in high school and college. Talking about other guys here. I just confidently went at the 5-stars and took my rejection like a man. (ha)

ShadowHawg

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2018, 04:16:54 pm »

It's just his way.

No one in the entire country gave McBride the time of day until after this summer's grass roots season was over.

No others were on him until this July.

As for the hs stuff, you would know more than me, but McBride was not a highly sought after recruit until a matter of weeks ago, not years ago.

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2018, 06:23:24 pm »

Mike must be an open book. He has to be because so many people on here know what he is thinking and why he does what he does (or doesn't).

Then again, maybe he isn't and some people on here are just making assumptions (or making stuff up) to fit their own narrative.

azhog10

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2018, 04:17:19 pm »

No one in the entire country gave McBride the time of day until after this summer's grass roots season was over.

No others were on him until this July.

As for the hs stuff, you would know more than me, but McBride was not a highly sought after recruit until a matter of weeks ago, not years ago.
Shhhhh get out of here with that stuff.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2018, 05:49:07 pm »

. Everybody has their theories though.

Did you mean conspiracy theories?

Letsroll1200

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 05:55:18 pm »

I think McBride will be a Hog in a couple years by transfer! Maybe Im just hopeful!

HawgnCorona

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2018, 06:16:47 pm »

I think McBride will be a Hog in a couple years by transfer! Maybe Im just hopeful!

LOL!!!

daprospecta

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2018, 06:23:10 pm »

I think McBride moved on from Arkansas a long, long time ago. Heís in the state of Arkansas and didnít get an offer until until the end of the first month of school his senior year. Thatís really late for the lone in-state high-major school to offer. Iím sure he was well aware of the scholarship situation and what that really meant ó they chose Justice Hill over him. Then they came and offered after other high-majors offered. Heís got to be thinking, ďOh, *now* you want me?Ē Canít blame him. Canít blame Mike for not offering a while back but it was kind of a bad look offering after othee high-majors. Doesnít matter, I bet. McBride accepted long ago he wouldnít be a Hog and I bet that is a tough course of action to reverse this late into it. Heís going to be signing with a school in a couple months. Why would he sign with one that he was right under their nose all along and didnít make him a priority? Again, completely understand why the Hogs didnít prioritze him, but Iím thinking from his perspective.

Anyway, wish McBride well and hope heís a Jayhawk and not in the SEC.
It's this simple. If you want to be a Hog, you will be a hog. That is whether the schollie is early or late. Yes, it took time for the hogs to recognize your skills but in the end, they did and extended an olive branch.  When I played in Little Rock 99-03, everybody wanted to be a hog. If they offered early or late, we didn't care as long as we got the chance. IM seems like a good kid and I wish him the best but let's not act like we are the bad guys here. There simply aren't any.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2018, 09:27:47 am »

He's going to be at Kansas version of late night this weekend. Any possibility he all but said he was going to commit?

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2018, 09:32:39 am »

He's going to be at Kansas version of late night this weekend. Any possibility he all but said he was going to commit?

I would. Kansas is his best offer.

HogBreath

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2018, 03:48:48 am »

Yeah, back when me and the little hot blond split up, it was both of us's idea....yeah right.

It was a mutual decision.  lmao

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 07:00:47 am »

Another reason why I dropped my tickets this season and moved my donation to baseball.

Mike isnít in a position to slow play any recruit, Arkansan or not. Heís a coach of a has been program thatís stuck in the first weekend of the NCAAT with no proof heís any closer to getting past it.

His coaching isnít going to make it happen here (as weíve seen), so itíll take the best talent he can possibly get to overcome his deficiencies as a coach.

Hawg Red

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 08:19:36 am »

It's this simple. If you want to be a Hog, you will be a hog. That is whether the schollie is early or late. Yes, it took time for the hogs to recognize your skills but in the end, they did and extended an olive branch.  When I played in Little Rock 99-03, everybody wanted to be a hog. If they offered early or late, we didn't care as long as we got the chance. IM seems like a good kid and I wish him the best but let's not act like we are the bad guys here. There simply aren't any.

How can you possibly come away from my post thinking I painted Arkansas as the bad guys?

All I can say to you is this -- this isn't the Little Rock of 1999-2003 (and before). It's a completely different animal. These kids are not sitting by the phone waiting for an offer from Arkansas at the 11th hour. They just aren't. They have very much open to their other options thanks to the power of technology and the wide reach of sports media.

Like I said, I don't blame McBride for not considering Arkansas at this point nor do I blame Anderson for not pursuing him more heavily. Mike handled this exactly how I thought he should have. He prioritized more important recruits (i.e. players that are small-ish combo guards) but did give McBride the options of being a Hog. I can't complain. Not sure why you are.

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 08:24:51 am »

The crazy thing about all of this is there were so many guys from Little Rock I would talk to the last two years that knew McBride was this good.  How did our staff not?

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 08:28:26 am »

Another reason why I dropped my tickets this season and moved my donation to baseball.

Mike isnít in a position to slow play any recruit, Arkansan or not. Heís a coach of a has been program thatís stuck in the first weekend of the NCAAT with no proof heís any closer to getting past it.

His coaching isnít going to make it happen here (as weíve seen), so itíll take the best talent he can possibly get to overcome his deficiencies as a coach.

Gotta get to the dance in order to dance. And I really just donít think they were ever interested in McBride like that. If they were, he wouldíve been offered early. Itís not like they didnít know about him. So I think this is more about A couple of fans who like McBride and wanted him to be a Hog feel. Via HV. Have fun in baseball sir. It wonít be the same as the Bud though. Guarantee you that.

hogwood

• Hogvillian
  • Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 08:59:00 am »

We don't need McBride, plus we have no available scholarships to offer. It's not that complicated.

ArkansasI

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 09:45:09 am »

The concern is - correct or not - that Arkansas will not return to national prominence by allowing the best in-state talent to play for other schools.  Every Arkansas recruit with a "blue blood" offer during Mike's tenure has elected to play for the "blue blood" and not the Hogs.

This is not the way great Razorback teams have been built.  And Mike has not shown a willingness to recruit against elite programs.  Maybe the elite programs are cheating - making it not possible for us to compete.  Maybe elite recruits don't see Arkansas as a basketball destination - what don't we have that they do?  Maybe Mike doesn't believe he can convince top talent to come to Arkansas.

Whatever the case, in this transient age of basketball it is hard to believe that there is no room on the Hill for a top 100 talent from Arkansas - regardless of position.  No matter how we try to rationalize this, the optics are bad and the taste is not palatable for many Razorback fans.

The fact that the recruit and coach may have somehow reached a mutual understanding on parting of ways only confuses Razorback fans who pour emotional support and money into the university intending to create a basketball program that players of the recruit's talent level would want to showcase his skills.  We see the University of Arkansas as a lifetime destination and an opportunity second to none - including the University of Kentucky, the University of Florida, the University of Kansas, or wherever.

If we ever expect to compete with elite programs, we must compete for their recruits.  As the Hogs maintain their seeming annual rise in national prominence, I hope that those who accept Mr. McBride's departure from Arkansas hold their tongues/keyboards when some Razorback fans prove apathetic to the build.  It has been a tough 20+ years trip.

GO HOGS! 

ShadowHawg

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 11:58:41 am »

The concern is - correct or not - that Arkansas will not return to national prominence by allowing the best in-state talent to play for other schools.  Every Arkansas recruit with a "blue blood" offer during Mike's tenure has elected to play for the "blue blood" and not the Hogs.

This is not the way great Razorback teams have been built.  And Mike has not shown a willingness to recruit against elite programs.  Maybe the elite programs are cheating - making it not possible for us to compete.  Maybe elite recruits don't see Arkansas as a basketball destination - what don't we have that they do?  Maybe Mike doesn't believe he can convince top talent to come to Arkansas.

Whatever the case, in this transient age of basketball it is hard to believe that there is no room on the Hill for a top 100 talent from Arkansas - regardless of position.  No matter how we try to rationalize this, the optics are bad and the taste is not palatable for many Razorback fans.

The fact that the recruit and coach may have somehow reached a mutual understanding on parting of ways only confuses Razorback fans who pour emotional support and money into the university intending to create a basketball program that players of the recruit's talent level would want to showcase his skills.  We see the University of Arkansas as a lifetime destination and an opportunity second to none - including the University of Kentucky, the University of Florida, the University of Kansas, or wherever.

If we ever expect to compete with elite programs, we must compete for their recruits.  As the Hogs maintain their seeming annual rise in national prominence, I hope that those who accept Mr. McBride's departure from Arkansas hold their tongues/keyboards when some Razorback fans prove apathetic to the build.  It has been a tough 20+ years trip.

GO HOGS!

?

So if Arkansas produces 12 top 100 guards in the next 4 years, it is your position that the Hogs sign all 12?

The coaches chose Hill over McBride early for the same position in this class. Hill is very good, but his early commit has kept him off the radar much like it did for Gafford. It's not like we are coming away empty handed.

Also, there is a very good chance that this class could be made of all Arkansas kids that are being heavily recruited.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2018, 12:23:02 pm »

GO HOGS!

This is not accurate. Daniel Gafford had offers from Kansas (blue-blood program), Florida, Virginia, Vanderbilt, and Virginia Tech before he committed to Arkansas, and Ethan Henderson had an offer from Kansas among his list of suitors.

Goodwin (2012) was practically sewn up for KY when Mike got here, but I doubt he would have gotten him any way. Malik (2016) and McBride (2019) picked the blue-bloods, KAllen (2015) chose Florida.

CMA retained the best player in the state in 2011 (KMadden, who asked for his release after the coaching change so he had to be re-recruited), and he landed the top player in Arkansas several times (BPortis in 2013, ABeard in 2014, DGafford in 2017, Isaiah Joe in 2018). Though he didn't get MM, he did sign Daryl Macon in the 2016 class, and we know Macon went on to be 1st team All SEC and has signed a coveted two-way contract with the Dallas Mavericks.

As far as the 1-and-dones that chose the blueblood route,  how much would they have helped the program?

ArkansasI

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2018, 12:24:54 pm »

?

So if Arkansas produces 12 top 100 guards in the next 4 years, it is your position that the Hogs sign all 12?

The coaches chose Hill over McBride early for the same position in this class. Hill is very good, but his early commit has kept him off the radar much like it did for Gafford. It's not like we are coming away empty handed.

Also, there is a very good chance that this class could be made of all Arkansas kids that are being heavily recruited.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm simply providing a reasonable explanation as why the optics are bad and some fans are frustrated by a mutual parting of the ways. 

I'm sure you understand the point of my post.  From my perspective, the only way it is acceptable to part ways with McBride is if he isn't the player that he is rated.  I'd take a top 100 talent over another forward, center, whatever every day of the week.  If we are too guard heavy, then perhaps the coach should better manage the roster.  He's getting paid enough money to figure this out.

We're on this board together - all of us are huge Hog fans...  You have to admit that you make a terrible argument for walking away from this recruit.  When has Arkansas ever produced 12 top 100 guards in 4 years?  When has Arkansas produced more than 2 top 100 players in any year?

I understand what you're arguing, but it doesn't hold water.  The demographics of Arkansas are such that what you describe will likely never occur - certainly not in our lifetimes.  We're talking about a second guard (and the more highly rated) for a class.

We're about to find out just how good Arkansas basketball talent is...  Like you, I hope it is elite.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:38:38 pm by ArkansasI »

ArkansasI

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2018, 12:37:57 pm »

This is not accurate. Daniel Gafford had offers from Kansas (blue-blood program), Florida, Virginia, Vanderbilt, and Virginia Tech before he committed to Arkansas, and Ethan Henderson had an offer from Kansas among his list of suitors.

Goodwin (2012) was practically sewn up for KY when Mike got here, but I doubt he would have gotten him any way. Malik (2016) and McBride (2019) picked the blue-bloods, KAllen (2015) chose Florida.

CMA retained the best player in the state in 2011 (KMadden, who asked for his release after the coaching change so he had to be re-recruited), and he landed the top player in Arkansas several times (BPortis in 2013, ABeard in 2014, DGafford in 2017, Isaiah Joe in 2018). Though he didn't get MM, he did sign Daryl Macon in the 2016 class, and we know Macon went on to be 1st team All SEC and has signed a coveted two-way contract with the Dallas Mavericks.

As far as the 1-and-dones that chose the blueblood route,  how much would they have helped the program?

Kevin,

Thanks for the corrections about Daniel and Ethan.  I didn't realize they had an offers from KU.  I'm amazed Daniel didn't have more offers from blue bloods.  He is obviously worthy.  Ethan remains a mystery to me - it seems he played sparingly in high school.  Very strange to me...  I'm certainly rooting for him.

My primary concern has been our ability/willingness to recruit against the blue bloods.  It seems we seldom compete with them for elite players.  Yet, we have the facilities, fans and history to put ourselves in the game.  Our best players seem to have some connection to Arkansas.  So, I view Jaylen Barford - from Tennessee - as Mike's most impressive get at Arkansas.  I don't know how hard Tennessee pursued Jaylen, but I'm really glad he picked the Hogs.

Others Mike recruited successfully have left the program after a year.  Again, bad optics.  But you are correct, Mike has kept several in state talents.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2018, 01:54:33 pm »

Thanks for the reply.  I'm simply providing a reasonable explanation as why the optics are bad and some fans are frustrated by a mutual parting of the ways. 

I'm sure you understand the point of my post.  From my perspective, the only way it is acceptable to part ways with McBride is if he isn't the player that he is rated.  I'd take a top 100 talent over another forward, center, whatever every day of the week.  If we are too guard heavy, then perhaps the coach should better manage the roster.  He's getting paid enough money to figure this out.

We're on this board together - all of us are huge Hog fans...  You have to admit that you make a terrible argument for walking away from this recruit.  When has Arkansas ever produced 12 top 100 guards in 4 years?  When has Arkansas produced more than 2 top 100 players in any year?

I understand what you're arguing, but it doesn't hold water.  The demographics of Arkansas are such that what you describe will likely never occur - certainly not in our lifetimes.  We're talking about a second guard (and the more highly rated) for a class.

We're about to find out just how good Arkansas basketball talent is...  Like you, I hope it is elite.

What is McBride rated by the way? How long has he been highly rated?

It doesn't take 12 guys at one position to make it too crowded to have to choose between them.

The people who follow recruiting understand how we got here with McBride. There are better players in the classes behind him who play the same spot for instance, etc. The casual fan will never understand things like that.

Casual observers are still upset over Austin Reeves. Outside of Corliss and Portis, most of our home grown big time high schoolers have left the state. James Anderson didn't even go to a blue blood.

I hope we never recruit in such a way that makes sense to casual observers.

Hawg Red

« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2018, 02:48:13 pm »

It doesn't take 12 guys at one position to make it too crowded to have to choose between them.

The people who follow recruiting understand how we got here with McBride. There are better players in the classes behind him who play the same spot for instance, etc. The casual fan will never understand things like that.

Casual observers are still upset over Austin Reeves. Outside of Corliss and Portis, most of our home grown big time high schoolers have left the state. James Anderson didn't even go to a blue blood.

Great point. I used to get caught up in that up until recently. It just doesn't matter anymore unless the coaches are just absolutely bleeding talent from the state. If they are whiffing on most or all Arkansas kids they want, then we'll have a problem. But there wasn't a player in that 2016 recruiting class who I'd have traded for Mitchell Smith or Payton Willis. I was glad the coaches signed C.J. Jones instead of going after Austin Reaves. Even if Reaves looks like the better player now, Jones most definitely looked like the better fit for Anderson. Process over results. Even playing the result, both Reaves and Jones ended up transferring to different schools after two years. Justice Hill, a true PG, has been committed to Arkansas for 3 years. He didn't end up growing much and that sucks. He'd probably be rated much higher if he had because an athlete of his caliber at 6'1 or taller would stand out big time, but he's maybe 5'11. He comes from Razorback roots. He plays in a way that Arkansas has been sorely lacking at his position for quite some time outside of Jabril Durham's senior year. He was the lynchpin for that Arkansas Hawks group so without Justice Hill, he probably don't get that year-long period where we thought we were getting Reggie Perry. Isaac McBride has been a top 115 recruit for just a couple weeks. Most were late to the party, but most almost assuredly had more scholarships to offer and didn't already have a player long committed at the same(ish) position that is already key to the program.

Hogs need to get used to Arkansas kids playing elsewhere. If you're following the great content Kevin McPherson is giving us, you have seen that Devonta Davis is "considering" a junior-year visit to Arkansas. Considering! Times have changed. We know the kids who want to be Hogs over all else really early now. Assume all others have at least one foot out the door and be thankful when the coaches can get that foot back on our side of the door. Many competing programs are coming for our talent. They'll get some of them. Won't always be the elite ones, either.  Anderson knows what he wants and he'll most times get what he wants in some way or another. We want that to be all the Arkansas kids we deem "worthy," but it's not going to be. We missed on Archie Goodwin, KeVaughn Allen, and Malik Monk. We'll miss out on Moses Moody. We didn't have room for Willis, Mitchell Smith and McBride. But what about the caliber of guys like Keyshawn Embery and Reggie Chaney that are coming into the program? It'll all even out, but we should want for the coaches to get the players they feel are best for the program.

zenchow

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2018, 04:41:57 pm »

I dont think there are many schools who don't lose their top in-state players to the blue bloods every year...top 50 players seldom play for their home state schools any more. The blue-blood rosters are full of out of state players. Case in point, Zion Williamson went to Duke even though South Carolina and Clemson really worked hard to sign him.

ArkansasI

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2018, 07:47:33 pm »

Having a conversation is sometimes difficult. I want you to know that I am not a casual fan. Sometimes when we can't think of anything constructive to say or are simply incapable of forming a thoughtful reply, we start labeling people.

You have improperly labeled me. I understand that there may be a perfectly logical reason for Isaac to end up at KU.  I understand that since much of our best homegrown talent has not chosen Arkansas, the Razorbscks have not advanced to the Sweet 16. And I look forward to Mike signing all the better players in the classes behind Isaac.

hogwood

• Hogvillian
  • Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2018, 08:01:00 pm »

In 2020 Arkansas will possibly produce 5 top 100 recruits. 3 of them guards. We will already have 6 guards on the roster by then when you factor in Hill. All 6 are very talented, and McBride simply hasn't proven to be a better prospect than any of them. So when your roster is already full of guards, there are numerous top 100 guards in the next class, and you have zero scholarships to offer, why go hard after a sub-100 guard? Just because he is from a nearby city in your state? Doesn't make sense.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas