• 9,923,125 Posts
• 399,163 Topics
• 22,879 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nick Saban and Alabama lost to ULM  (Read 1533 times)

jb11

Nick Saban and Alabama lost to ULM
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:57:17 pm »

...in November of his 1st year.

No. I'm not comparing Coach Morris to Saban.  I just think he needs a little more than a couple of games to prove himself.

Wanting to throw him to the curb after one loss, even if it was a bad one, is ridiculous., especially knowing he will be here at least 3-4 years.

I want him or any Razorback coach to succeed significantly because that means my Razorbacks are succeding. I don't understand fans of a team wanting their team to lose so they can say they were right and that the wrong hire was made.

Life is too short to be miserable and negative. I choose to cheer my Razorbacks and the coaches whole heartedly until the AD or others in control decide to go in a different direction.

RazorWest

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Nick Saban and Alabama lost to ULM
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:01:39 pm »

Yes, people need to breathe. Coach is hitting recruiting hard which will help. Getting a solid starting qb will help too. Sometimes the less talented team wins like CSU. Letís see how they respond

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

wpstexan

• Bench Warmer
  • Calling the Hogs in Southlake, Texas!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 09:13:57 pm »

Virginia Tech lost to East Carolina in back-to-back years with an established coach.

Marshfieldhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 09:53:07 pm »

Did you guys know Coach K had a losing record his first 3 years?

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 09:56:11 pm »

He beat us that season, but hey, Nuttstalgia people will tell you it was a great year because we beat LSU and LSU won the natty.

InHognito

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 10:30:22 pm »

Comparing these two instances is ridiculous. Saban was a previous national championship winning coach and had a lot of experience as a head coach at the FBS level.

Chad has done neither of those things. The truth is he lost to CSU in high school fashion, and more excuses will roll in for him when they lay an egg this week against North Texas. Then people will be wishing Saban had lost to two mid majors so they could keep comparing them

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 10:43:04 pm »

No. I'm not comparing Coach Morris to Saban.  I just think he needs a little more than a couple of games to prove himself.

Wanting to throw him to the curb after one loss, even if it was a bad one, is ridiculous., especially knowing he will be here at least 3-4 years.

I want him or any Razorback coach to succeed significantly because that means my Razorbacks are succeding. I don't understand fans of a team wanting their team to lose so they can say they were right and that the wrong hire was made.

Life is too short to be miserable and negative. I choose to cheer my Razorbacks and the coaches whole heartedly until the AD or others in control decide to go in a different direction.

There are fans that have said exactly the same thing about every coach we get. Give 'em a chance, they'll get it done! But there are always more fans spooked by a bad loss than there are patient fans. Reality.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 10:44:32 pm »

Big difference since Saban had already won a NC at LSU prior to ever getting the job at Bama. He had already proved himself and deserved the benefit of the doubt. He had a winning record as a college head coach at three different places of 91-42 prior to getting the Bama job. I think we all know thatís better than the record Chad has as a college head coach prior to getting the Hog job. Chad hasnít proved anything at this level yet. Comparing one game of each is laughable.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 10:56:39 pm by Inhogswetrust »

zeke_in_kc

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 10:48:30 pm »

Did Nick Saban and AL drop a game to ULM because of poor leadership and losing his nerve?

Because that's why we lost to CSU: our guy choked.   :-[

Redhogs

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 07:33:04 am »

Comparing these two instances is ridiculous. Saban was a previous national championship winning coach and had a lot of experience as a head coach at the FBS level.

Chad has done neither of those things. The truth is he lost to CSU in high school fashion, and more excuses will roll in for him when they lay an egg this week against North Texas. Then people will be wishing Saban had lost to two mid majors so they could keep comparing them
Ain't that the truth......

rhames

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 07:38:44 am »

Ok. So what about the time he lost to UAB when he was in his first year at LSU?

I don't think Morris is the next Saban. He isn't. I also don't think the loss last Saturday will mean much in the years to come.

navyhog24

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 08:10:58 am »

Lol. Morris is no Saban. Morris will probably do something that not even Bert and Nuttsack did in their tenures here. He will probably lose to 3 G5 opponents in one season, the other two being UNT and Tulsa. They are both better than CSU.

rhames

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 08:11:58 am »

Lol. Morris is no Saban. Morris will probably do something that not even Bert and Nuttsack did in their tenures here. He will probably lose to 3 G5 opponents in one season, the other two being UNT and Tulsa. They are both better than CSU.

Guess we are about to find out aren't we.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 08:17:05 am »

That ULM team had solid guys on it.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 09:26:30 am »

Ok. So what about the time he lost to UAB when he was in his first year at LSU?

I don't think Morris is the next Saban. He isn't. I also don't think the loss last Saturday will mean much in the years to come.

Nice try but that wonít fly. Saban still had a winning record as a college head coach prior to that.

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 09:29:52 am »

I wonder if the fans of Alabama were nervous about Saban during the week after his loss to ULM?  Nick Saban did well at LSU, but not quite like he has done at Bama. He had one natty, but not multiple.  And he had difficult times at Miami. 

If we're going to talk about Saban's loss to ULM we have to be willing to remember that when he lost to ULM, the fans probably had a heart attack or a hissy fit until Saban got things going.  We're not unusual in that we are concerned when our coach and team blow one they could have and should have won. I bet Saban wasn't universally loved by Bama fans in the 5-6 days after the ULM game. I bet there were a few Bama fans that wondered if he was really as good as people had thought.

rhames

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 09:33:19 am »

Nice try but that wonít fly. Saban still had a winning record as a college head coach prior to that.

I'm not trying anything. He was completely average at Michigan State until 1999.

I'm just giving perspective that one game, the 2nd game of the season, isn't a tell all.  Anyone with a brain knew there was a chance for them to lose Saturday given all the variables they were dealing with.

But if you want to keep your panties in a wad and moan go right ahead.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 09:36:36 am »

I'm not trying anything. He was completely average at Michigan State until 1999.

I'm just giving perspective that one game, the 2nd game of the season, isn't a tell all.  Anyone with a brain knew there was a chance for them to lose Saturday given all the variables they were dealing with.

But if you want to keep your panties in a wad and moan go right ahead.

He had another job before Michigan State. His 9-2 record there was probably one reason why he got the job at Michigan State. Toledo had a losing season for both years prior to his arrival. Although he was hand strung by sanctions at Michigan State from George Perles tenure he still went to a bowl game each of his first three years there. At LSU despite losing that game he went 8-4 overall with 5-3 in conference and won the Peach bowl and finished #22 in the AP at the end of the season. If we do that then Iíll eat crow. Heck if we even go to a bowl that is a miracle and coach will deserve all the accolades he can get and Iíll not say another word about him going to watch his son before games.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:50:07 am by Inhogswetrust »

hoggusamoungus

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 09:38:56 am »

The three games prior to ULM were TN, LSU and Miss St and the game after was Auburn so the players likely overlooked Monroe.  CSU was after Eastern IL and before North Texas.

rhames

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 09:40:33 am »

He had another job before Michigan State. His record there was probably one reason why he got the job at Michigan State.

Really. What was it?

How many years was he the coach at Toledo. When did he leave?

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 09:41:07 am »

Agreed.  IDK if folks are truely thinking this way.  Chad is 13-22 in a much lesser conference.  And.....Colorado State is...well...a horrible team.  Run the ball, you win.  No style points this year.  Bottom line.  This was one of the WORST losses in Razorback history.  And Chad was the coach.  This is in no way a negative post.  I am behind this coach...just suprised at the play calling in the second half of a game, when we have 137 total passing yards and 70 of that came on a big play at the LOS.

rhames

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 09:43:25 am »

Agreed.  IDK if folks are truely thinking this way.  Chad is 13-22 in a much lesser conference.  And.....Colorado State is...well...a horrible team.  Run the ball, you win.  No style points this year.  Bottom line.  This was one of the WORST losses in Razorback history.  And Chad was the coach.  This is in no way a negative post.  I am behind this coach...just suprised at the play calling in the second half of a game, when we have 137 total passing yards and 70 of that came on a big play at the LOS.

No one is saying Morris will be the next Saban. They are just pointing out that stuff like this happens year one.

Especially on the road

Week 2 

New offense.

No quarterback

oldman1015

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 09:45:14 am »

Tell us more please. They were so solid they went 6-6 overall and 4-3 in the freaking Sunblet.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 09:48:00 am »

Really. What was it?

How many years was he the coach at Toledo. When did he leave?

One year 9-2 and they had losing records the prior two years. If Chad wins 9 this year he should be coach of the year! And donít say only one year doesnít matter. Frank came here after only one year as a college head coach.

rhames

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 09:51:34 am »

One year 9-2 and they had losing records the prior two years. If Chad gets that record this year he should be coach of the year! And donít say only one year doesnít matter. Frank came here after only one year as a college head coach.

And then he didn't coach at Michigan State until 3 years after that.

I'm not saying one year doesn't matter. I'm saying one game sure doesn't, in year one.

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 09:51:45 am »

One year 9-2 and they had losing records the prior two years. If Chad gets that record this year he should be coach of the year! And donít say only one year doesnít matter. Frank came here after only one year as a college head coach.

And Frank's first year wasn't good.

jkstock04

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 09:55:33 am »

That team also beat a pretty stacked Razorback squad that year with Houston Nutt trying to run the clock out. They won 4 conference games as a matter of fact and then won their bowl game. Things were obviously pointing up for them in the right direction.

Seems a hair laughable to me people are making this comparison to the 2018 Hogs, but if Colorado state was a fluke and something similar to the above happens I'm 1000% on board.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2018, 09:59:12 am »

And then he didn't coach at Michigan State until 3 years after that.

I'm not saying one year doesn't matter. I'm saying one game sure doesn't, in year one.

We can agree on that last part. However not all losses are created equal. Especially if the coach had a prior good record at the same level then he gets the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately in my view Chad hasnít earned that yet.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:12:26 am by Inhogswetrust »

rhames

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2018, 10:01:33 am »

We can agree on that last part. However not all losses are created equal. Especially if the coach had a prior good record at the same level then he gets the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately In my view Chad hasnít earned that yet.

That's your opinion to have and if he loses this week, probably has some merit.

But writing off Colorsdo State as an automatic win was foolish. IMO

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 10:07:11 am »

I don't think most people actually considered CSU an automatic win.  I think people considered it a win that should be automatic and they considered it a win that ought to happen when you enter the fourth quarter with a significant lead and good rushing totals.

rhames

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2018, 10:15:22 am »

I don't think most people actually considered CSU an automatic win.  I think people considered it a win that should be automatic and they considered it a win that ought to happen when you enter the fourth quarter with a significant lead and good rushing totals.

Most people on this board considered it an automatic win.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 10:16:30 am »

Automatic no. Very, very high probability of a win yes. On the road and his second game still the probability of the win was so high it should not have been lost like that.

rhames

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 10:18:56 am »

Automatic no. Very, very high probability of a win yes. On the road and his second game still the probability of the win was so high it should not have been lost like that.

Do the math on that for me. 

The FPI, which I love, doesn't usually take in to account obscure variables. Which all of them were not in out favor. This had all the makings for a let down

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 10:33:49 am by rhames »

carolinahogger

• Senior
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2018, 10:46:14 am »

In the OP's defense, after he compared Coach Morris to Saban he wrote:

"No. I'm not comparing Coach Morris to Saban."

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2018, 10:49:49 am »

Correct.  I figured it was a high probability win, but knew we could blow it. I never thought it was automatic.  It was one I knew we had to play well.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2018, 10:53:18 am »

We lost to them as well in 2012.. 2nd game of the season, how did that turn out for us?  the insinuation that our situation is similar to Saban and Bama is laughable.. 

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2018, 10:57:19 am »

Apples and oranges... it wasn't the fact that we lost to CSU, but more in the glaring decisions (or lack thereof) that led to the loss. 

I am not calling for his head and still believe he can elevate the program. However, it is reasonable to question just how high his ceiling will be based on last Saturday.

While I remember happily watching Bama lose that game, I don't recall it being due to coaching.  If it were, your argument has validity.  Otherwise, it doesn't. 

RT1941

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2018, 11:00:52 am »

No. I'm not comparing Coach Morris to Saban.
Why mention Saban at all if you're not comparing the two?

Dominicanhog

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 11:05:52 am »

Why mention Saban at all if you're not comparing the two?

DoctorSusscrofa

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 11:08:33 am »

Apples and oranges... it wasn't the fact that we lost to CSU, but more in the glaring decisions (or lack thereof) that led to the loss. 

I am not calling for his head and still believe he can elevate the program. However, it is reasonable to question just how high his ceiling will be based on last Saturday.

While I remember happily watching Bama lose that game, I don't recall it being due to coaching.  If it were, your argument has validity.  Otherwise, it doesn't.

I don't think it's a good comparison, but it's hard to say a loss to a lower rated team is not due to coaching. If coaching is irrelevant to results, then something's not making sense.

Redhogs

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2018, 11:13:40 am »

We lost to them as well in 2012.. 2nd game of the season, how did that turn out for us?  the insinuation that our situation is similar to Saban and Bama is laughable..
It is...I'll say this, I have had hope for Morris, I have watched his energy, hard working attitude, good recruiting, and general overall performance over the past 8 months. However, since the season has started, different story...game management, player attitude, response to adversity, Friday night lights travel and leaving the team on Friday nights, etc...my opinion is he ain't gonna make it here. That's just my opinion, and hope I'm wrong. We need a true and smart dedicated hard ass to turn this mess around, just don't think he fits the bill...problem is it's going to take 2-3 years to figure this out, and he should get the time...... it what it is.....learning on the job does not work in the SEC, and I'm afraid that's what we have here.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2018, 11:24:20 am »

.....learning on the job does not work in the SEC, and I'm afraid that's what we have here.

He has the blueprint for success, learning how to do it right at Clemson.  This shouldn't be OJT.  When you look at how a coaching tree develops, it is assistants learning lessons at the feet of coaches doing it right.  Only question is whether he was there long enough for it to be engrained and un-learn things that worked in HS but don't translate to the college game. 

hogfan14

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2018, 04:13:44 pm »

Saban was a previous national championship winning coach and had a lot of experience as a head coach at the FBS level.

I think that's the point. If it can happen to him it can happen to anyone.

ShadowTheHedgehog

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2018, 04:41:44 pm »

They also went 7-6 (4-4 SEC) - I would love to see that this year.

Justifiable Hogicide

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2018, 05:15:12 pm »

Most people on this board considered it an automatic win.
Guilty.
Failed to consider the CCM factor.

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2018, 06:06:23 pm »

This is the same crap we heard for Bielema.

Snouty

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2018, 06:29:40 pm »

When Bielema first got here, the Razorback propaganda machine went out of its way to say that Bielema had a better record in the Big 10 than Saban.  That was true.  However, Bret Bielema is no Nick Saban.  Neither is Chad Morris. 

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2018, 06:51:35 pm »

And still wound up going 7-6/4-4 for the year. Most of his wins were close wins were close with the exception of W. Carolina, Vandy and Tennessee, but so were their losses that year. He beat a pretty doggone talented Arkansas team that year 41-38. I'll admit that I'm not ready to compare Morris and Saban, but I doubt that many Alabama fans were real high on him after the team started that season out 6-2 and then finished the regular season losing 4 in a row, including that loss to La-Monroe.

We are just 2 games in. Anything is possible even if some things might seem less probable than other things. This isn't a pleasant place for Morris to be in. We will see how the team and the staff respond to this adversity against a pretty good team. We will probably learn a lot about this team this week.

solitons

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2018, 07:42:23 pm »

I feel funny, on basket ball, some fans said coach K lost some games when CMA didn't do well. and on football, we can compare to Saban when we need.
what kind of mindset are these people, always so positive? or just crazy fans

Sivad

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2018, 07:46:09 pm »

Not so sure that the apologists for Chad Morris are doing him any favors comparing his head coaching record to that of Nick Saban.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas