• 9,929,113 Posts
• 399,345 Topics
• 22,892 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mason Jones  (Read 7540 times)

BannerMountainMan

Re: Mason Jones
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2018, 03:06:45 pm »

What some don't realize is that we were way better off with Macon and Barford going one on one than we were posting up Gafford.
Harris will also make Gafford look tons better!

draftkings33

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2018, 03:11:43 pm »

Harris will also make Gafford look tons better!
Hope so.  His best play is the pick and roll.  Harris isn't a shooter so that scares me a little.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2018, 10:30:39 am »

What some don't realize is that we were way better off with Macon and Barford going one on one than we were posting up Gafford.

Because Dan had no business being in the post; heís not a post player! The sooner the coaches realize heís unguardable in the PNR the better weíll be. If they park Dan on the block all year then we will struggle to be .500

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2018, 11:07:06 am »

Because Dan had no business being in the post; heís not a post player! The sooner the coaches realize heís unguardable in the PNR the better weíll be. If they park Dan on the block all year then we will struggle to be .500
Yep.  Against bad teams he can dominate on the low block so it gives false confidence.  Most players are not efficient on the low block. 

azhog10

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2018, 11:49:24 am »

Dan has to be able to do both. He has to be able to post and face up. No question though his mobility in PNR needs to be utilized as well. But Dan has to be better in the post regardless. I think he's more than capable, but the more we use him in PNR the easier it will be for him in the post. Hopefully that's a plan going forward because there really isn't a player like him in the country.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2018, 12:14:29 pm »

Dan has to be able to do both. He has to be able to post and face up. No question though his mobility in PNR needs to be utilized as well. But Dan has to be better in the post regardless. I think he's more than capable, but the more we use him in PNR the easier it will be for him in the post. Hopefully that's a plan going forward because there really isn't a player like him in the country.
he was absolutely dominate against Minnesota early in the year but when we play a team like A&M with big guards they need to mix it up

hawgball40

• All-American Hogvillian
  • #wps4life
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2018, 12:39:49 pm »

he was absolutely dominate against Minnesota early in the year but when we play a team like A&M with big guards they need to mix it up
he had a bit of success against MSU as well in a loss. He dominated the first half of that game.

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2018, 02:29:21 pm »

One thing I would like to see is no more 18 footers from our post

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2018, 10:00:56 am »

Every team will gameplan to double and triple team him in post which will make him get rid of the ball quickly. Iím not sure if heís ready to handle those type of blitzing schemes teams will send at him if his back is to the basket. Plus that will put him in the position to get beat up by a stronger defender and maybe even pick up a few unnecessary player control fouls.
 He will rarely post up in the NBA and if weíre ever going to show elite level recruits that we can prepare them for the next level, then the time is now. Jalen and Dan or even Keyshawn and Danís pick and roll game will be the most efficient offensive scheme for this group to play off...

Hawg Red

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2018, 10:14:57 am »

Every team will gameplan to double and triple team him in post which will make him get rid of the ball quickly. Iím not sure if heís ready to handle those type of blitzing schemes teams will send at him if his back is to the basket. Plus that will put him in the position to get beat up by a stronger defender and maybe even pick up a few unnecessary player control fouls.
 He will rarely post up in the NBA and if weíre ever going to show elite level recruits that we can prepare them for the next level, then the time is now. Jalen and Dan or even Keyshawn and Danís pick and roll game will be the most efficient offensive scheme for this group to play off...

I'm looking at the truth right here. Got to start playing and using players like they will in the NBA.

Swinesong1

« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2018, 10:17:16 am »

Not Anderson's job to prepare a player for the NBA.  His job is to win. 

Hawg Red

« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2018, 10:29:02 am »

Right, but getting better talent will put him in better position to win, and playing a more NBA-friendly style will attract more talent.

azhog10

« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2018, 12:57:29 pm »

Don't disagree that the PNR should be used in high dosage. But if that's all Dan can do, then you better expect a lot of zone and PNR against a zone isn't always very effective. He's going to have to be able to post, even if it's 15-17' and then face up. But he's going to have to be able to do that.

To say that he won't be asked to do something similar is crazy. He is going to have to be able to have some Aldridge type game to him and that will require some back to the basket at times. That's one of his biggest knocks by NBA scouts.

azhog10

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2018, 12:59:54 pm »

Disagree to an extent. As a HS coach my job isn't to get players the chance to play in college but it sure does help me getting players to come and play for me. That in turns helps me win more games. I also do take that as part of my job. If I have kids that are capable of playing in college, it's my job to help them get there (but not a requirement for me keeping my job). Just last year we helped 4 guys get that chance. This year in the fall I've had 11 D1 schools come by our gym to watch our guys including two high major programs in Baylor and Cal. I think Mike would agree part of his job is helping his guys get to that next level no matter what that level is.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2018, 01:01:53 pm »

Next phase of Danís growth will need to be able to face up, knock down the 15-18 footer, or make them pay when they come out too far to guard him in the high post with hat lighting first step. There will have to be much more than just PNR.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:50:17 pm by razorback1829 »

CPO Hog

• Senior
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2018, 02:42:16 pm »

Next phase of Danís growth will need to be able to face up, knock down the 15-18 footer, or make them pay when they come out too far to guard him in the high post. There will have to be much life than just PNR.
Yea, if he can develop a Tim Duncan shoot/drive option from 15-18, look out.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2018, 05:51:50 pm »

How do the Freshmen PF's compare talent-wise/athletically to last season's PF's that graduated?

That will alone will play a major part in whether we qualify for post season NIT or otherwise.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2018, 07:17:42 pm »

How do the Freshmen PF's compare talent-wise/athletically to last season's PF's that graduated?

That will alone will play a major part in whether we qualify for post season NIT or otherwise.

Guessing they won't be suspended as much. 

ShadowHawg

« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2018, 08:31:27 pm »

Not all motion offenses are created equal. I'm not talking about set plays, but more principles that certain motion offenses have. For example are there certain cuts and sequences that the coach wants despite not calling set plays. What does the coach prioritize?

Obviously, Mike has certain sequences that they run through a lot, I just don't feel like he demands perfection when running the offense. Go back and watch games when we played really good halfcourt defenses (Tennessee and UNC come to mind). When we play those defenses our offense is usually very stagnant, pushed toward halfcourt,  and it is tough to get decent open looks. That's due, IMO, to a lack of teaching or demanding quality motion. Guys should know how to exploit any type of defense. Are guys setting up their man when getting a screen? Are screens actually set with a purpose or are they just interchanging positions?

Against good defenses, there was a lot of standing around with a late ball screen for Macon or Barford. Thankfully they were able to get tough buckets, but they were rarely due to quality motion offense IMO.

What a lot of people call standing around is actually the result of ball stoppers. The ball has to move or all motion will stop.

With two guys who were predominantly one on one players, the ball stopped a lot last season. Even at that we were one of the most efficient offensive teams in the country.

Our defense is what sputtered last season.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2018, 10:48:26 am »

...well donít get mad at the Malik Monkís for not coming here then

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2018, 10:51:10 am »

Don't disagree that the PNR should be used in high dosage. But if that's all Dan can do, then you better expect a lot of zone and PNR against a zone isn't always very effective. He's going to have to be able to post, even if it's 15-17' and then face up. But he's going to have to be able to do that.

To say that he won't be asked to do something similar is crazy. He is going to have to be able to have some Aldridge type game to him and that will require some back to the basket at times. That's one of his biggest knocks by NBA scouts.

Trust me, NBA scouts arenít worried about Dan showing a face up game right now. Not having one at the moment isnít going to hurt his stock. They just want him to show that he still has that same type of energy/tenacity, rebound better and to add a little more mass

Swinesong1

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2018, 11:04:02 am »

I don't get mad at any kid's decision to do what he feels is best for him.  It's not that serious to me. 

FineAsSwine

• Hogville think tank
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2018, 11:05:04 am »

That's not why Malik didn't come here and besides, if he was wanting to be developed for the NBA, he should be mad at Cal because I didn't see where his game expanded under Cal.

When Malik left Kentucky he was still the same raw, athletic volume shooter/scorer with intriguing potential that he was when he left high school. Wasn't a better facilitator, rebounder or defender. Still had the same game to me.

Swinesong1

« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2018, 11:07:21 am »

That's not why Malik didn't come here and besides, if he was wanting to be developed for the NBA, he should be mad at Cal because I didn't see where his game expanded under Cal.

When Malik left Kentucky he was still the same raw, athletic volume shooter/scorer with intriguing potential that he was when he left high school. Wasn't a better facilitator, rebounder or defender. Still had the same game to me.
Exactly!

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2018, 11:37:43 am »

It was a general statement referring to the elite recruits like Malik; not specifically Malik. Those guys want to go play for a coach who will prepare them for the next level on and off the court. And yes, I know for a fact that is a big reason why Malik went to Kentucky.

cram224

« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2018, 12:19:01 pm »

How do you have a motion offense when it's always dribble/dribble shot?

Swinesong1

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2018, 12:28:41 pm »

It was a general statement referring to the elite recruits like Malik; not specifically Malik. Those guys want to go play for a coach who will prepare them for the next level on and off the court. And yes, I know for a fact that is a big reason why Malik went to Kentucky.
KY doesn't prepare players for the NBA any more than any other school!  These kids would be going to the NBA no matter the school.  Let's quit acting like Calipari takes three stars and turn them into lottery picks. 
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 01:33:38 pm by Swinesong1 »

Hawg Red

« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2018, 12:31:54 pm »

KY doesn't prepare players for the NBA any more than any other school!  These kids would be going to the NBA no matter the school.  Let's quit acting like Calipari stakes three stars and turn them into lottery picks.

Perception is reality.

If the kids believe it to be true, that's all that matters.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2018, 01:00:26 pm »

boy it sure helped him 😂

HawgnCorona

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2018, 01:06:05 pm »

KY doesn't prepare players for the NBA any more than any other school!  These kids would be going to the NBA no matter the school.  Let's quit acting like Calipari stakes three stars and turn them into lottery picks. 

Well said...

MakingPlays

« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2018, 01:57:44 pm »

KY doesn't prepare players for the NBA any more than any other school!  These kids would be going to the NBA no matter the school.  Let's quit acting like Calipari takes three stars and turn them into lottery picks.

Agreed, I also wish people would stop acting like Cal isn't a cheater and doesn't pay players either.  All this he prepares you for the NBA is nonsense kids aren't dumb, they watch the NBA draft every year and know you don't have to go to Kentucky to be a top draft pick. Cal just does whatever it takes to land the kids he wants, let's be honest. And he has the #1 class almost every year and been cheating for nearly 30 years and still only has 1 National Championship to show for it.  He can't coach or develop anyone that's why he got ran out of the NBA so quick.  You give any half-way decent coach the recruiting classes he's had over the past 20 years, and most of them would have exceeded what he has.  Heck, if coach K had Cal's recruiting classes he'd probably have about 15 National Championships right now.

My favorite Cal moment was when he threw Archie Goodwin under the bus on National TV and said "I can't coach you." Man he really developed Archie, that's some next level type coaching right there.

Pinto

• Senior
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2018, 06:17:17 am »

Trust me, I agree. Iím an outspoken BBN and PayPal Cal hater myself but Iím not an elite high school athlete. All these kids see are how many elite guys that program is putting in the NBA. But if my child is an elite athlete and a coach told me ďitís not my job to prepare him for the next levelĒ, those would be the last words spoken to me

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2018, 08:45:29 am »

Trust me, I agree. Iím an outspoken BBN and PayPal Cal hater myself but Iím not an elite high school athlete. All these kids see are how many elite guys that program is putting in the NBA. But if my child is an elite athlete and a coach told me ďitís not my job to prepare him for the next levelĒ, those would be the last words spoken to me

Just would be the worst recruiting pitch ever lol.

Foshodo

« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2018, 11:40:24 pm »

Jones also looks like he was talking some trash at the end of the latest video, he looks like he's really competitive always has a super serious look on his face and that "You can't guard me" expression whenever his defender comes on him.  In these videos they've released over the summer I've seen him scoring the most out of anyone, a lot drives to the basket.

Rickey Scott took it to the basket quite a bit too... when the defense got better however, he caved...

I expect good things out of Jones, but he's in the middle of a lot of guys i expect good things out of.  Everything i've seen out of Embery shows me he's got a bulldog mentality (only in the good ways) Harris has a sliver of experience and plays pinball on the court and Joe looks confident as all hell.

MakingPlays

« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2018, 12:20:42 am »

Rickey Scott took it to the basket quite a bit too... when the defense got better however, he caved...

I expect good things out of Jones, but he's in the middle of a lot of guys i expect good things out of.  Everything i've seen out of Embery shows me he's got a bulldog mentality (only in the good ways) Harris has a sliver of experience and plays pinball on the court and Joe looks confident as all hell.

I don't think Ricky Scott is a fair comparison.  He was actually decent his sophomore year, he just didn't progress his game.  Really needed to get in the gym and work on his shot, because driving to the basket was all he had.  Once people realized that he became a liability on offense because he couldn't shoot at all.

Mason Jones on the other hand is a great shooter that's actually what he's known for.  With a big like Gafford drawing in defenses he'll be able to get plenty of open looks.  I think the driving element is something he's added to his game, because I didn't see much of that in his highlights, most of his Juco highlights were him just knocking down shots.

razorback1829

• Senior
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2018, 09:40:40 am »

Rickey is a much more superior athlete than Mason Jones is. Heís not a jumper, and will have to learn how to score in the paint because heís not much of a finisher on this level. But heís a MUCH better basketball player than Rickey was. Can shoot the ball, put it on the deck and create separation. Plus his BB IQ is better as well.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2018, 10:27:25 am »

Rickey is a much more superior athlete than Mason Jones is. Heís not a jumper, and will have to learn how to score in the paint because heís not much of a finisher on this level. But heís a MUCH better basketball player than Rickey was. Can shoot the ball, put it on the deck and create separation. Plus his BB IQ is better as well.

Rickey Scott is a player I will never understand. Led the Dallas area in scoring. 4-star by one service. But he just never made an impact like he should have.

HawgnCorona

« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2018, 11:26:11 am »

...well don’t get mad at the Malik Monk’s for not coming here then

Say hi to BP...You can get there from here.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas