• 10,019,704 Posts
• 401,587 Topics
• 22,978 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mason Jones  (Read 8641 times)

BannerMountainMan

Mason Jones
« on: September 06, 2018, 08:00:34 am »

A guy we should all know by now. He is going to be an automatic huge impact to this team. He was highly underrated because of his grades and weight, but he has put his body to work and expect him to have a just as high potential as his brother at Duke. He is not like many other Juco players we have acquired in previous seasons because of his size at the guard position. Be on the look out 👀

Swinesong1

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Mason Jones
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 08:15:56 am »

A guy we should all know by now. He is going to be an automatic huge impact to this team. He was highly underrated because of his grades and weight, but he has put his body to work and expect him to have a just as high potential as his brother at Duke. He is not like many other Juco players we have acquired in previous seasons because of his size at the guard position. Be on the look out 👀
  I'm pretty sure grades were never an issue.  He went to juco for a chance to better himself and get better offers.  Thus, the reason he only stayed one season.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 09:08:52 am »

I'm pretty sure grades were never an issue.  He went to juco for a chance to better himself and get better offers.  Thus, the reason he only stayed one season.
thats what I just heard, rumors swirl though

Swinesong1

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 09:58:56 am »

He was a full qualifier out of high school.  If not, he would have had to stay in juco for two years.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 10:37:42 am »

He was a full qualifier out of high school.  If not, he would have had to stay in juco for two years.

Yep was actually a pretty savvy move by him and his family if they thought he could get good mid to high major offers but only had low majors at the time.  If he had taken a lesser offer but then blown up he would have had to sit out a year if he wanted to transfer.  Great way to keep playing, work on your game and get a year of college under your belt and be able to have 3 years at a high major without having to sit.

MakingPlays

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 10:37:49 am »

Yea, that's how rumors get started just takes a couple of people to run with it.  But, as Swine said grades were never an issue with Mason he was a full qualifier.  There were a couple different stories out about him at the time he committed that gave his full story.  Also him and Jabril did a segment on recruiting Thursday where Jabril told his story it was really good.  I agree with your OP that he should be a good one and we got a steal with him.  His body looks completely different now than it did a year ago when he was in JUCO.  I'm really curious to see if he will be a day 1 starter.  We know Harris, Gafford, and Bailey are pretty much locks. 

Razorod

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 10:58:46 am »

Yea, that's how rumors get started just takes a couple of people to run with it.  But, as Swine said grades were never an issue with Mason he was a full qualifier.  There were a couple different stories out about him at the time he committed that gave his full story.  Also him and Jabril did a segment on recruiting Thursday where Jabril told his story it was really good.  I agree with your OP that he should be a good one and we got a steal with him.  His body looks completely different now than it did a year ago when he was in JUCO.  I'm really curious to see if he will be a day 1 starter.  We know Harris, Gafford, and Bailey are pretty much locks. 
I've got him penciled in as a starter (not that it matters what I think :)). I think the only spot on the floor that will be a battle is the "two" spot. Have to see if Garland is cleared before making any predictions on that position.

MakingPlays

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 11:19:35 am »

I've got him penciled in as a starter (not that it matters what I think :)). I think the only spot on the floor that will be a battle is the "two" spot. Have to see if Garland is cleared before making any predictions on that position.

Agreed, although I think Isiah Joe is the heavy favorite.  If you listen to the interviews CMA gives he kinda always shows his hand with Joe, one of the first guys he always brings up, some of the other guys you have to mention before he'll say anything about that.  But, he always raves about Isiah Joe.  In the latest press conference when they released the schedule he said Joe was going to be a very good basketball player for them, but just had put on some weight, although he said they've had skinner players like Lee Mayberry, TJ Clevland, etc, that weighed less than Joe when they came on campus, so he's not too concerned.

Hawg Red

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 12:53:32 pm »

The more we find out about him, the more boxes he checks. Limited athletically compared to what you want in this system, but he's got about everything else. Gonna be really, really solid for us, I think, and I think he can be a leader even as a sophomore. That's something I've been concerned about with no seniors, but we have some level heads coming in and Gafford, though quiet, can lead by example and work ethic. I think Jones will be the locked-in starter at the 3.

batmanfan

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2018, 01:00:04 pm »

I think we start the season like:

-Harris
-Joe
-Jones
-Bailey
-Gafford

Embery and Chaney first off the bench.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 01:01:33 pm »

man I donít know, Chaney looks solid.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 01:41:37 pm »

man I donít know, Chaney looks solid.

Sounds like a good problem to have either way

MakingPlays

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 02:16:13 pm »

-Harris
-Joe
-Jones
-Bailey
-Gafford

I'm actually going with Jordan Phillips instead of Jones.  I think Phillips ends up being the unsung hero of this class.  The things he can do at 6'7 we haven't had a guy like that in a long time.  I can't remember which Arkansas media person it was, so not going to name them, but I remember them saying when we first landed Phillips he reminded them so much of Joe Johnson.  Obviously, those are huge shoes to fill, but from what I've heard so far about what he's been doing he's the guy I'm most excited to see this year.

The_Bionic_Pig

• VICTORY IS MINE!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Orlando, Florida
    • My YOUTUBE profile & vids
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 02:21:25 pm »

I'm actually going with Jordan Phillips instead of Jones.  I think Phillips ends up being the unsung hero of this class.  The things he can do at 6'7 we haven't had a guy like that in a long time.  I can't remember which Arkansas media person it was, so not going to name them, but I remember them saying when we first landed Phillips he reminded them so much of Joe Johnson.  Obviously, those are huge shoes to fill, but from what I've heard so far about what he's been doing he's the guy I'm most excited to see this year.

This....he is a PG/SG that kept growing to nearly 6'8. 

batmanfan

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 03:01:07 pm »

I'd say Phillips is the most intriguing guy that we are bringing in.

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2018, 03:21:58 pm »

Agreed, although I think Isiah Joe is the heavy favorite.  If you listen to the interviews CMA gives he kinda always shows his hand with Joe, one of the first guys he always brings up, some of the other guys you have to mention before he'll say anything about that.  But, he always raves about Isiah Joe.  In the latest press conference when they released the schedule he said Joe was going to be a very good basketball player for them, but just had put on some weight, although he said they've had skinner players like Lee Mayberry, TJ Clevland, etc, that weighed less than Joe when they came on campus, so he's not too concerned.
They may have weighed less only because they were much shorter.  Joe is crazy skinny.  He can play though.  Doesn't have the body type frame to add too much weight

Letsroll1200

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2018, 03:31:51 pm »

-Harris
-Joe
-Jones
-Bailey
-Gafford

How long will it take before Chaney is replacing Bailey in the starting line up. I really would like to see more from Bailey this season. Had a great start and when Thomas returned to the team he played like he was satisfied just having a Razorback jersey on. I really think Embery will start ahead of Joe because he seems to be stronger than Joe at this time.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2018, 03:37:52 pm »

-Harris
-Joe
-Jones
-Bailey
-Gafford

its crazy man, everybody forgets Gabe, Embery which is probably the best out of the class, and Sills who can freaking play. 9 different guys that can start, havenít had that in a while.

HawgnCorona

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2018, 07:51:12 pm »

I look for Mason to be big part of offense. However, I like the strategy of not putting your best five on the floor at the same time. We do play in waves ... With the exception Gafford and down the stretch in a tight game, it could be any combination. Or different match ups against certain teams. We obviously have that much talent.

I agree, Gabe is overlooked a bit. My thought is he just might surprise us...

MakingPlays

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 10:10:04 pm »

They may have weighed less only because they were much shorter.  Joe is crazy skinny.  He can play though.  Doesn't have the body type frame to add too much weight

Yea, Joe is going to always be like that, you can tell he's just a naturally skinny guy. I don't ever see him getting over like 180.  But, there's tons of skinny guys that are very successful in college.  Our very own Ky Madden was super skinny like that too, hardly ever put on any weight even as a senior.   Coming into Arkansas they had Ky listed as 6'5 170.  Joe is coming in at 6'5 167.  I'm not too worried about his weight holding him back.  Joe is going to be a great player for the Hogs and very likely a 4-year guy with potential to be a 4-year starter.

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 02:38:46 pm »

its crazy man, everybody forgets Gabe, Embery which is probably the best out of the class, and Sills who can freaking play. 9 different guys that can start, havenít had that in a while.

I mean last year we had 9 different guys start, not including CJ Jones. Most of Mike's teams have had depth, we need quality depth with more than 3 guys that can actually score. Hopefully, this group will be that way in the future, don't see it this year, though.

jjdlc

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 02:46:30 pm »

I mean last year we had 9 different guys start, not including CJ Jones. Most of Mike's teams have had depth, we need quality depth with more than 3 guys that can actually score. Hopefully, this group will be that way in the future, don't see it this year, though.

Thats the thing, we don't know, too many new faces.  That said, this group has, at least IMHO, the most potential of any incoming group that we've had in CMA's tenure.  I don't know if we'll be good enough for the tournament or not, but I definitely would not be willing to bet against them.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2018, 05:30:58 pm »

We were a guard short just last season. We had 2 stud guards who covered that but it cost us defensively with what we could do with aggressive quick guards and it cost us late in the season as those guys wore down.

Big Nasty 34

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2018, 01:07:09 pm »

We were a guard short just last season. We had 2 stud guards who covered that but it cost us defensively with what we could do with aggressive quick guards and it cost us late in the season as those guys wore down.

This season will definitely be interesting. Would we be better off with 2 guards that can score 20+ every night but are liabilities on D, or have more athletic guards that can put pressure on teams defensively but arenít really a threat to score in one on one situations.

Iím really not sure. I think with the way games are officiated and the fact that CMA is more offensive minded that we would be better off with guys that can go get a bucket when we need it.

hawgball40

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2018, 01:18:37 pm »

you folks are getting me hyped up for razorback bball

Big Nasty 34

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2018, 01:51:11 pm »

you folks are getting me hyped up for razorback bball

They should apologize lol.

hawgball40

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 10:05:48 am »

They should apologize lol.
i can't wait. i think this is a really special group, and if they gel they could do great things. bigly

Big Nasty 34

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 01:31:09 pm »

i can't wait. i think this is a really special group, and if they gel they could do great things. bigly

There is definitely some potential, but they will probably really struggle to score in the half court next year. Now if these guys can stay together for 4 years then I think we can do something special. Will sadly lose some transfers, though.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 01:39:17 pm »

There is definitely some potential, but they will probably really struggle to score in the half court next year. Now if these guys can stay together for 4 years then I think we can do something special. Will sadly lose some transfers, though.

If Gafford has become a threat from 15 on in, this team shouldn't struggle in the half court while he is in the game. When a player becomes the kind of threat that has to be schemed for, it vastly changes the dynamics on the floor.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 01:54:03 pm »

really now? This team should be able to score in the half-court a lot better than last few years teams, having a 4 man in Reggie Chaney being able to do post moves with Gafford down low and having a really solid point guard in Harris, 3 things we havenít had in a while.

mhuff

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 02:10:26 pm »

really now? This team should be able to score in the half-court a lot better than last few years teams, having a 4 man in Reggie Chaney being able to do post moves with Gafford down low and having a really solid point guard in Harris, 3 things we havenít had in a while.

HoopS

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 08:12:44 pm »

yep. I donít get the negativity.

This is an excting young group. And whenís the last time an A Derain Team didnít score at a pretty good clip anyway.

Big Nasty 34

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 11:24:55 am »

I sure hope you guys are right, I am just tempering my expectations. I just don't see any guards/wings that can go get us a one on one bucket in crunch time. if Harris can beat people off the dribble consistently that will definitely help.

Gafford and Chaney may be a great duo down low, but I am afraid we won't have the perimeter threats to keep teams from packing the paint and doubling Gafford. Now, Jones and Joe may be great outside threats (in fact I think they will be before their careers are done), but even Joe shot less than 40% from 3 last year, I believe.

Also, with Mike's lack of structure in his motion offense, young guys usually get caught standing around until they learn ways to get open. Hopefully, these guys adjust quickly to the D1 game.

sasnakrafan

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 08:41:01 pm »

I sure hope you guys are right, I am just tempering my expectations. I just don't see any guards/wings that can go get us a one on one bucket in crunch time. if Harris can beat people off the dribble consistently that will definitely help.

Gafford and Chaney may be a great duo down low, but I am afraid we won't have the perimeter threats to keep teams from packing the paint and doubling Gafford. Now, Jones and Joe may be great outside threats (in fact I think they will be before their careers are done), but even Joe shot less than 40% from 3 last year, I believe.

Also, with Mike's lack of structure in his motion offense, young guys usually get caught standing around until they learn ways to get open. Hopefully, these guys adjust quickly to the D1 game.

Joe also played PG on a team that was rebuilding from a state championship season. He's a natural 2 guard so his numbers will naturally go up because he won't be depended on as heavily to move and distribute the ball.

Big Nasty 34

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2018, 01:52:18 pm »

Joe also played PG on a team that was rebuilding from a state championship season. He's a natural 2 guard so his numbers will naturally go up because he won't be depended on as heavily to move and distribute the ball.

Yes his playing style may differ in college, but the defense will increase exponentially. There are probably only a couple guys in Arkansas that can stay with Joe in High School. That won't be the case in college.

MPHinJonesboro

• Band Nerd
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2018, 02:32:55 pm »

-Harris
-Joe
-Jones
-Bailey
-Gafford

This is what I think as well.  And unless Bailey has made a great stride of improvement (which he did last year), Chaney will work into the starting lineup.  We are going to be deep and hungry next year.  Maybe lose a few we should win and win some we shouldn't (because we are very talented).

Arkansas Hog in Dallas

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2018, 06:34:32 pm »

My guess early on:
Harris
Jones
Garland
Bailey
Gafford
Later, by SEC play:
Harris
Joe
Garland
Cheney
Gafford

JmJustis

• Walk-On
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2018, 09:14:13 pm »

I don't think we necessarily need someone who can go one on one, we played way too much iso ball last year and had a lot of bad possessions.  I do agree though it will really depend on the ability for our guards to shoot the ball on whether or not we will be successful, guys can often shoot better in college however with improved shot selection and not having to be so ball dominant.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2018, 09:54:49 pm »

My guess early on:
Harris
Jones
Garland
Bailey
Gafford
Later, by SEC play:
Harris
Joe
Garland
Cheney
Gafford
if Garland gets cleared then itís freaking go time!!

hawgball40

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2018, 08:53:25 am »

this is a weird post, but if you look closely at jones in the videos up on twitter, he has a striking facial resemblance to jabril durham that was here a few years ago. i actually thought it was jabril and had to replay the clip again.

ricolacey

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2018, 10:44:37 am »

Response- lack of structure,(please) our you guys with your critics backed with no or limited insight is a joke. Within Mike's motion offense his recruiting message to those recruits he will allow you to use your skills set within his offense schemes. Hence, if a player choose UA because Mike allows players freedom you should respect that because he will have to follow through with his promises. I believe this class in addition to our returning players will go far in post season play due to skill sets, length, coupled with a very good basketball IQ.. they are very coachable committed to play hard on both sides of the ball

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2018, 10:58:39 am »

The entire lack of structure is a huge joke.  Basketball sets and plays are highly overrated.  You have to let kids play and not think.  There is a reason Bobby Knight was awful late in his career.  Coaches figured out hey we don't have to run sets and plays every time down. 

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2018, 11:00:40 am »

Response- lack of structure,(please) our you guys with your critics backed with no or limited insight is a joke. Within Mike's motion offense his recruiting message to those recruits he will allow you to use your skills set within his offense schemes. Hence, if a player choose UA because Mike allows players freedom you should respect that because he will have to follow through with his promises. I believe this class in addition to our returning players will go far in post season play due to skill sets, length, coupled with a very good basketball IQ.. they are very coachable committed to play hard on both sides of the ball
Great post.  Only thing I wish Mike did different was give his best players more minutes.  Gafford needs 30 a game this year in non-blowout games.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2018, 11:46:58 am »

Great post.  Only thing I wish Mike did different was give his best players more minutes.  Gafford needs 30 a game this year in non-blowout games.

Pretty sure Gafford will get as many minutes as he can efficiently handle.

MakingPlays

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2018, 11:49:48 am »

this is a weird post, but if you look closely at jones in the videos up on twitter, he has a striking facial resemblance to jabril durham that was here a few years ago. i actually thought it was jabril and had to replay the clip again.

Jones also looks like he was talking some trash at the end of the latest video, he looks like he's really competitive always has a super serious look on his face and that "You can't guard me" expression whenever his defender comes on him.  In these videos they've released over the summer I've seen him scoring the most out of anyone, a lot drives to the basket.

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2018, 11:53:00 am »

If Gafford has become a threat from 15 on in, this team shouldn't struggle in the half court while he is in the game. When a player becomes the kind of threat that has to be schemed for, it vastly changes the dynamics on the floor.
Just hope we don't focus on posting him up a lot

Big Nasty 34

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2018, 02:01:58 pm »

The entire lack of structure is a huge joke.  Basketball sets and plays are highly overrated.  You have to let kids play and not think.  There is a reason Bobby Knight was awful late in his career.  Coaches figured out hey we don't have to run sets and plays every time down.

Not all motion offenses are created equal. I'm not talking about set plays, but more principles that certain motion offenses have. For example are there certain cuts and sequences that the coach wants despite not calling set plays. What does the coach prioritize?

Obviously, Mike has certain sequences that they run through a lot, I just don't feel like he demands perfection when running the offense. Go back and watch games when we played really good halfcourt defenses (Tennessee and UNC come to mind). When we play those defenses our offense is usually very stagnant, pushed toward halfcourt,  and it is tough to get decent open looks. That's due, IMO, to a lack of teaching or demanding quality motion. Guys should know how to exploit any type of defense. Are guys setting up their man when getting a screen? Are screens actually set with a purpose or are they just interchanging positions?

Against good defenses, there was a lot of standing around with a late ball screen for Macon or Barford. Thankfully they were able to get tough buckets, but they were rarely due to quality motion offense IMO.

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2018, 02:14:57 pm »

LOL we scored 95 on Tennessee one game.  Sometimes the best thing you can do on offense is stand around.  Helps with spacing instead of overcutting and post ups clogging the lane.  Watch the Rockets.  They do it to perfection.  And Villanova

Big Nasty 34

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2018, 02:41:33 pm »

LOL we scored 95 on Tennessee one game.  Sometimes the best thing you can do on offense is stand around.  Helps with spacing instead of overcutting and post ups clogging the lane.  Watch the Rockets.  They do it to perfection.  And Villanova

I'll drop it after this because it seems like I'm not a fan of CMA or the hogs and that's definitely not the case. CMA is an outstanding man with great character that I definitely respect. This is just my opinion. Also, I would rather be pleasantly surprised by a successful season and not disappointed lol (cough football)

We did score 95 against Tennessee but only had 73 points after regulation, also only scored 68 against them the second go round. And if we're honest, a big chunk of that point total came from Macon and Barford making extremely difficult shots in one on one situation or in transition.

Again, I love the hogs, especially basketball. I think this freshman group can be really great if they stay together, they may just take some lumps this year.

draftkings33

• Senior
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2018, 02:57:05 pm »

I'll drop it after this because it seems like I'm not a fan of CMA or the hogs and that's definitely not the case. CMA is an outstanding man with great character that I definitely respect. This is just my opinion. Also, I would rather be pleasantly surprised by a successful season and not disappointed lol (cough football)

We did score 95 against Tennessee but only had 73 points after regulation, also only scored 68 against them the second go round. And if we're honest, a big chunk of that point total came from Macon and Barford making extremely difficult shots in one on one situation or in transition.

Again, I love the hogs, especially basketball. I think this freshman group can be really great if they stay together, they may just take some lumps this year.
What some don't realize is that we were way better off with Macon and Barford going one on one than we were posting up Gafford. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas