Non Sports Forums > Hunting, Fishing and other Outdoor Sports

I need to vent.....They Clear-Cut my hunting spot :-(

Pages: (1/1)

InHognito:

Went a few weeks ago to put out a mineral block and my camera, but saw they had flagged some timber near my stand. It was close to the property line so I was hoping maybe it was the adjacent property. But deep down I knew.

Sure enough, went back this weekend and it was wiped out. A huge hardwood flat full of huge oaks. The acorn crop was massive every year. Sounded like a hailstorm in late October when the wind would blow. All gone. All the trees where scrapes would be year after year, gone.

It just sucks. Been on the lease 5 years and had my list ready for this year as the two bucks I was hunting last year both survived, but Im sure they are on another property now. I'll upload some pics later, but right now I just needed to vent.

Anyone else ever feel this way? Im no tree hugger but it saddens me that such a beautiful grove of timber is gone and wont be back during my lifetime or maybe even my kids' lifetime.

hawgon:

It will actually be better for hunting now. 

InHognito:

--- Quote from: hawgon on September 05, 2018, 06:53:12 am ---It will actually be better for hunting now.

--- End quote ---

Meh. Ive heard this but not sure I believe it. This year, maybe, if the deer move back in at all (theres no food for them to eat now).

But even if it is, in a couple of years it will be so dang thick you couldnt see a bull elephant walking through there. Im not a fan of it so far. If they stop cutting where they are now there are still a few sections of trees left, but if they wipe it completely out it will just be a cow pasture out there with one little white oak with my deer stand in it.

hawgon:

--- Quote from: InHognito on September 05, 2018, 10:00:23 am ---Meh. Ive heard this but not sure I believe it. This year, maybe, if the deer move back in at all (theres no food for them to eat now).

But even if it is, in a couple of years it will be so dang thick you couldnt see a bull elephant walking through there. Im not a fan of it so far. If they stop cutting where they are now there are still a few sections of trees left, but if they wipe it completely out it will just be a cow pasture out there with one little white oak with my deer stand in it.

--- End quote ---

That thicket you are griping about will hold five times the deer those mature oak woods hold.

And by the way, if white oak acorns are like candy to a deer, wouldn’t you want to have the only candy store in town?

InHognito:

--- Quote from: hawgon on September 05, 2018, 11:06:28 am ---That thicket you are griping about will hold five times the deer those mature oak woods hold.

And by the way, if white oak acorns are like candy to a deer, wouldn’t you want to have the only candy store in town?

--- End quote ---

Yeah but that one little tree wont produce much. I feel like we had the candy store with the large number of trees we had. IDK, guess I just liked being in the woods. Never was a box stand hunter. Just doesnt do it for me

hawgon:

--- Quote from: InHognito on September 05, 2018, 03:11:26 pm ---Yeah but that one little tree wont produce much. I feel like we had the candy store with the large number of trees we had. IDK, guess I just liked being in the woods. Never was a box stand hunter. Just doesnt do it for me

--- End quote ---

Then snuggle up in the bushes in a lawn chair. 

woodrow hog call:

Speaking of logging, does anybody know or have experience with a logging company they trust? NWA area.

BroyledNutts:

--- Quote from: InHognito on September 05, 2018, 01:35:32 am ---Went a few weeks ago to put out a mineral block and my camera, but saw they had flagged some timber near my stand. It was close to the property line so I was hoping maybe it was the adjacent property. But deep down I knew.

Sure enough, went back this weekend and it was wiped out. A huge hardwood flat full of huge oaks. The acorn crop was massive every year. Sounded like a hailstorm in late October when the wind would blow. All gone. All the trees where scrapes would be year after year, gone.

It just sucks. Been on the lease 5 years and had my list ready for this year as the two bucks I was hunting last year both survived, but Im sure they are on another property now. I'll upload some pics later, but right now I just needed to vent.

Anyone else ever feel this way? Im no tree hugger but it saddens me that such a beautiful grove of timber is gone and wont be back during my lifetime or maybe even my kids' lifetime.

--- End quote ---

Sorry to hear that ... most of my old school turkey hunting areas have suffered the same fate ... the real shame to all this is that if the area is replanted it will be done with pine, not native hardwoods ... seeing a huge oak, hickory, ash, chestnut, or maple in the woods any more is like finding the grail.

LAHogfan123:

--- Quote from: BroyledNutts on September 05, 2018, 08:41:09 pm ---Sorry to hear that ... most of my old school turkey hunting areas have suffered the same fate ... the real shame to all this is that if the area is replanted it will be done with pine, not native hardwoods ... seeing a huge oak, hickory, ash, chestnut, or maple in the woods any more is like finding the grail.

--- End quote ---

Yep, in my youth, Arkansas was hardwood heaven.  Now, Arkansas is quickly becoming the pine tree State.  I hate pine trees, yeah, squirrels will eat on the cones, but that's about it, nothing for the deer. 

hawgon:

--- Quote from: BroyledNutts on September 05, 2018, 08:41:09 pm ---Sorry to hear that ... most of my old school turkey hunting areas have suffered the same fate ... the real shame to all this is that if the area is replanted it will be done with pine, not native hardwoods ... seeing a huge oak, hickory, ash, chestnut, or maple in the woods any more is like finding the grail.

--- End quote ---

I would posit that no one in Arkansas has seen a large chestnut in the woods in the last 100 years or so.

DeltaBoy:

Thank goodness for the White River Refuge,.

InHognito:

My father in law wasnt as upset as I thought he would be, although he doesnt hunt much anymore. Just the fact that he spent many years growing up hunting those woods would be enough to make me sad to see all that ripe timber taken. But change is the only thing that stays the same I guess

BroyledNutts:

--- Quote from: hawgon on September 06, 2018, 08:02:14 am ---I would posit that no one in Arkansas has seen a large chestnut in the woods in the last 100 years or so.

--- End quote ---

In the wilds where I used to stalk turkeys there was an area, quite remote, that had both an old growth ash and an old growth chestnut, neither less than 8 feet around ... always loved to sit beneath those trees and lunch ... that ash made me nervous when the thunderstorms started cooking off ... there was also close by a stand of hickories, maybe 6 or 8, none of which I could reach around with any hope of touching my fingers ...

I would hope they are all still there ...

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version