• 9,972,975 Posts
• 400,355 Topics
• 22,943 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BWA renovations  (Read 2652 times)

wonder

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
BWA renovations
« on: August 22, 2018, 05:19:44 pm »

DWRRS renovation project is beautiful and of course a lot of money is making that happen. Here's my question when will the BWA museum receive much needed upgrades? The arena itself still looks remarkably brand new.

factchecker

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
Re: BWA renovations
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 06:29:15 pm »

I believe that Baum is next.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 01:15:26 am »

Not sure of the timeframe but as a part of the athletic master plan BWA is suppose to get some renovations and additional concourses.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 08:57:15 am »

DWRRS renovation project is beautiful and of course a lot of money is making that happen. Here's my question when will the BWA museum receive much needed upgrades? The arena itself still looks remarkably brand new.

From Feb 2018:

Prior to Jeff Long's dismissal as athletics director, it was expected that improvements to basketball or baseball facilities would be addressed next. Hunter Yurachek's future building plans are unknown, but it has been reported that he was influential in helping build a baseball facility during his time at Houston, and the Cougars are currently displaced while their basketball arena undergoes an extensive renovation.

Renovations to basketball and baseball venues were listed in the athletics departmentís master plan in 2011 ó extensive work to the concourse and underground areas at Bud Walton Arena, and the addition of suites and an outfield concourse at Baum.

Like with football, any front-facing renovation to the baseball stadium must address the demand for luxury seating. There are 32 suites at the baseball stadium now with a waiting list of 43 as of last fall. There has not been any turnover within the suites since 2009, making them arguably the toughest tickets in town. Even on those cold, mid-afternoon games early in the season, those suites typically are full.

In addition to suites, there is belief Arkansas would like to update its clubhouse and baseball weight room, the latter of which currently is housed in an overflow area at the indoor track center.

From April 2018 Yuracheck's statement:

As for what's next on the list of upgrades?

"Well I think a couple of priorities lie within our baseball and track and field programs. You know we have a very successful baseball program. But we're falling a little bit behind in our student athlete amenities within that stadium proper. So we are looking at the options to build a baseball clubhouse  that would have a new locker room, a team room and training room for our student-athletes that they would use 24/7. Then track and field, very storied, track and field program with 40 plus national championships. So we are looking at how we can help that program with and outdoor track and field addition that would include locker rooms and team rooms similar to the baseball clubhouse concept. Then we are going to be hosting the 2021 Indoor National Championships. We want to make sure that it is the best indoor track and field facility when we host the championships that year. So those are three that are immediately on the horizon. Then as we look at Bud Walton Arena, it is an arena that is approaching 25 years in age. It is in need of a little bit of a renovation per se where we need to bring our amenities up to the amenities that our fans come to expect."

There is a lot to look ahead to for Hunter Yurachek, but as he looks back at his first 100 days, this is the moment that sticks out the most to him.

"I would have to go back to December 9th here in Bud Walton Arena when we were hosting the University of Minnesota in a men's basketball game. It was a sold out crowd. Coach Morris and his family and me and my family were in attendance that night. We were asked to come out on the floor in a timeout and lead everyone in calling the Hogs. To be at center court at Bud Walton Arena, 18,000 plus fans calling the Hogs I mean I still get chills just thinking about that moment."

Smithian

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 07:40:26 pm »

If I remember right, there was discussion of making the facility more accessible for not basketball events. More concerts and events away from just Walmart weekend. An easier sell now there is a practice facility.

Do that, tear out some seats, and give a facelift the concourses and I would be a happy Hog.

But not sure where they find the cash. That football stadium isn't cheap and Bielema has a lifestyle we're still paying for.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 09:35:32 am »

One of my biggest complaints about Bud Walton is the banners in the rafters. If you are a visitor, it is really hard to tell what they are for.

I wish they'd make new ones with clean block lettering that just says "Final Four 1995", etc.

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 02:44:56 pm »

It wouldn't cost that much to update some of the photos in the concourse that have faded and look terrible. I didn't go to a game last year, so maybe this happened already but it needs to happen soon.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 08:41:37 am »

It wouldn't cost that much to update some of the photos in the concourse that have faded and look terrible. I didn't go to a game last year, so maybe this happened already but it needs to happen soon.

Those have been updated.

MikePiazza

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Chicks dig the long ball
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 04:06:22 pm »

Definitely needs a facelift. It's 25 years old this year. They need to do something for the '94 team all year. Would've been nice to get the concourses wider and give the museum a fixer-upper job. It can still be the best facility in the SEC if they do the necessary maintenance and upkeep.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas