• 9,969,799 Posts
• 400,290 Topics
• 22,941 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is our current **healthy** OLine depth chart right now?  (Read 2334 times)

Rudy Baylor

• All-American Hogvillian
  • We're afraid of STP girls Bluto

Austin Capps moved to offensive guard? Merrick is out?

What else?

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Is it football season yet?
Re: What is our current **healthy** OLine depth chart right now?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 09:27:59 pm »

I'm trying hard not to think about it.

That's why we pay Morris a gazillion dollars a year. He gets to think about it 24/7.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
so who is left standing among O-linemen?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 09:45:38 pm »

we have had so many go down with major or minor injuries woul be good to get a head count

lakecityhog

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 09:55:39 pm »

68   Kirby Adcock   OL   R-Fr   6-5   280   Nashville, Ark.   Nashville HS
54   Austin Capps   OL   Jr   6-4   311   Star City, Ark.   Star City HS
66   Ty Clary   OL   So   6-4   288   Fayetteville, Ark.   Fayetteville HS
57   Shane Clenin   OL   R-Fr   6-6   302   Festus, Mo.   Jefferson HS
51   Hjalte Froholdt   OL   Sr   6-5   315   Svendborg, Denmark   IMG Academy (Fla.)
73   Noah Gatlin   OL   Fr   6-7   293   Jonesboro, Ark.   Jonesboro HS
62   Johnny Gibson Jr.   OL   Sr   6-4   319   Dumas, Ark.   Dumas HS
67   Tyler Hall   OL   So   6-4   295   Maumelle, Ark.   Maumelle HS
69   Dylan Hays   OL   So   6-3   294   Little Rock, Ark.   Little Rock Christian Academy
64   Audry Horn   OL   R-Fr   6-2   290   Benton, Ark.   Little Rock Catholic HS
74   Colton Jackson   OL   Jr   6-5   301   Conway, Ark.   Conway HS
73   Deion Malone   OL   Sr   6-3   293   Batesville, Miss.   South Panola HS / Northwest CC (Miss.)
79   Jalen Merrick   OL   Jr   6-4   316   Oak Hill, Fla.   New Smyrna Beach HS
75   Silas Robinson   OL   Fr   6-4   304   Yoakum, Texas   Yoakum HS
78   Dalton Wagner   OL   R-Fr   6-9   302   Spring Grove, Ill.   Richmond Burton HS
60   Brian Wallace   OL   Sr   6-6   320   Florissant, Mo.   Christian Brothers College HS
71   Ryan Winkel   OL   Fr   6-6   286   Memphis, Tenn.   Christian Brothers HS

Wagner could possibly be back in time to take a few snaps against E. Illinois and for sure by game 2.

My Game 1 2-Deep

LT                             LG                     Center                    RG                        RT
      S Clenin                    A Capps               H Froholdt             J Gibson                B Wallace
 D Wagner/K Adcock        T Clary                 D Hays                  T Clary                  K Adcock

The right side should be pretty solid and if Capps catches on quickly we could have a fair to average SEC O'Line. Get Jackson back and we go to a pretty decent line.

Rudy Baylor

• We're afraid of STP girls Bluto

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 10:33:17 pm »

That left side is scary.  Wagner will be miss 2 weeks of reps and the backups have little to no experience either.  Story and Kelley may be running for their life.   

vbgonz46

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 10:36:59 pm »

Smu went toe toe against TCU and UCF last year .  I think we will be ok,  the offense gets the ball out quick and in the hands of playmakers.

ballinhog

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 11:29:31 pm »

If Capps had been moved over a year ago like he should’ve been then all we would be looking for is a left tackle. I know he can get it done physically but does he know who to block on every play is the question.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 11:33:03 pm »

If Capps had been moved over a year ago like he should’ve been then all we would be looking for is a left tackle. I know he can get it done physically but does he know who to block on every play is the question.

We'd still be looking at the 2nd string with horror.

WBOBO

• Hogvillian
  • Lefty- RIP #1 Hog Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 11:51:01 pm »

We'd still be looking at the 2nd string with horror.
Look at the positives and not the negatives sir.  It'll be alright
come suppa time.  This team is not that talented but hates
to lose.  How bat dat?   Support them.

Dominicanhog

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 05:47:19 am »

My Game 1 2-Deep

LT                             LG                     Center                    RG                        RT
      S Clenin                    A Capps               H Froholdt             J Gibson                B Wallace
 D Wagner/K Adcock        T Clary                 D Hays                  T Clary                  K Adcock

The right side should be pretty solid and if Capps catches on quickly we could have a fair to average SEC O'Line. Get Jackson back and we go to a pretty decent line.

I don't doubt your right but a RSF, 2 defensive tackles and a walk-on in your starting 5.. doesn't sound like a recipe for success in the SEC...                   

Actually, the more I think about it, if CCM wins 8 games as I projected, he should be coach of the year...

Al Boarland

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 05:53:35 am »

Smu went toe toe against TCU and UCF last year .  I think we will be ok,  the offense gets the ball out quick and in the hands of playmakers.

Oh. We should never have to worry about oline again then. Morris has found a secret offense that removes the need for a good oline.

I think it's important to consider if you can't run the ball and all you do is throw quick passes you'll be in a world of trouble.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
Re: so who is left standing among O-linemen?
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 09:21:18 am »

The situation is fluid...

lakecityhog

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 09:36:08 am »

Who heard Morris talk about over-filling certain positions? He directly addressed the O'Line being thin and yet he doesn't appear to be too concerned. Why? He said ALWAYS over-sign on the D'Line because those guys can transition to O'Line if they don't work out.

Think about the major difference in O'Linemen and D'Linemen --- Quickness, strength and raw speed which just happen to be very good traits for O'Linemen! If you think about The offense that Morris runs we really don't need the huge hulking bodies of the BB offense. We need guys that can move, guys with great strength and guys that are familiar with how a D'Lineman moves.

Our current commit list of D'Linemen:
Collin Clay -               6'3.5" 261
Enoch Jackson -          6'0"   310
Marcus Miller -            6'5"   300
Carl Williams -            6'4"   310

Add in prospect
Taurean Carter -        6'3"    260

Any one of those guys could make a weight change and convert to the O'Line and probably become a plus player!

rhames

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 09:40:42 am »

Who heard Morris talk about over-filling certain positions? He directly addressed the O'Line being thin and yet he doesn't appear to be too concerned. Why? He said ALWAYS over-sign on the D'Line because those guys can transition to O'Line if they don't work out.

Think about the major difference in O'Linemen and D'Linemen --- Quickness, strength and raw speed which just happen to be very good traits for O'Linemen! If you think about The offense that Morris runs we really don't need the huge hulking bodies of the BB offense. We need guys that can move, guys with great strength and guys that are familiar with how a D'Lineman moves.

Our current commit list of D'Linemen:
Collin Clay -               6'3.5" 261
Enoch Jackson -          6'0"   310
Marcus Miller -            6'5"   300
Carl Williams -            6'4"   310

Add in prospect
Taurean Carter -        6'3"    260

Any one of those guys could make a weight change and convert to the O'Line and probably become a plus player!

Well that's a great philosophy when Morris gets a few classes under his belt. Not sure if helps this year.

lakecityhog

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 09:48:18 am »

19   Courtre Alexander   DL   Fr   6-5   239   
99   Billy Ferrell           DL   Fr   6-3   343   
48   Nicholas Fulwider   DL   Fr   6-7   260   
42   Jonathan Marshall   DL   So   6-3   301   
93   Isaiah Nichols           DL   Fr   6-3   273   
71   David Porter           DL   R-Fr   6-3   263   

These are the current freshmen and RS freshmen(1 exception) on the D'Line that wouldn't have to gain a ton of weight to possibly transition to O'Line. We currently have 18 bodies on the D'Line and 3 seniors and we have 4 maybe 5 guys coming in. I would just almost bet that next spring we see more than one D'Lineman move to offense. Lots of these kids played both ways in high school so O'Line won't be totally new to them.

rhames

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 09:50:48 am »

19   Courtre Alexander   DL   Fr   6-5   239   
99   Billy Ferrell           DL   Fr   6-3   343   
48   Nicholas Fulwider   DL   Fr   6-7   260   
42   Jonathan Marshall   DL   So   6-3   301   
93   Isaiah Nichols           DL   Fr   6-3   273   
71   David Porter           DL   R-Fr   6-3   263   

These are the current freshmen and RS freshmen(1 exception) on the D'Line that wouldn't have to gain a ton of weight to possibly transition to O'Line. We currently have 18 bodies on the D'Line and 3 seniors and we have 4 maybe 5 guys coming in. I would just almost bet that next spring we see more than one D'Lineman move to offense. Lots of these kids played both ways in high school so O'Line won't be totally new to them.

Sure. It's possible. I'm not sure how that helps us this year though.

I would venture that they start signing their own oline guys in this class and the conversations, if necessary, happen in later classes.

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 09:52:55 am »

well on the positive side we have a number of sophomores and redshirt freshmen on the current roster so hopefully will be able to field an experienced group next year.

JIHawg

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 09:53:45 am »

The center he's lined up beside has played the position and will help him find his way, know who to block, until he gets it all down.  He's strong enough, and mean enough, I think we'll be okay at left guard.

He has three games to get it down.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 11:17:32 am »

68   Kirby Adcock   OL   R-Fr   6-5   280   Nashville, Ark.   Nashville HS
54   Austin Capps   OL   Jr   6-4   311   Star City, Ark.   Star City HS
66   Ty Clary   OL   So   6-4   288   Fayetteville, Ark.   Fayetteville HS
57   Shane Clenin   OL   R-Fr   6-6   302   Festus, Mo.   Jefferson HS
51   Hjalte Froholdt   OL   Sr   6-5   315   Svendborg, Denmark   IMG Academy (Fla.)
73   Noah Gatlin   OL   Fr   6-7   293   Jonesboro, Ark.   Jonesboro HS
62   Johnny Gibson Jr.   OL   Sr   6-4   319   Dumas, Ark.   Dumas HS
67   Tyler Hall   OL   So   6-4   295   Maumelle, Ark.   Maumelle HS
69   Dylan Hays   OL   So   6-3   294   Little Rock, Ark.   Little Rock Christian Academy
64   Audry Horn   OL   R-Fr   6-2   290   Benton, Ark.   Little Rock Catholic HS
74   Colton Jackson   OL   Jr   6-5   301   Conway, Ark.   Conway HS
73   Deion Malone   OL   Sr   6-3   293   Batesville, Miss.   South Panola HS / Northwest CC (Miss.)
79   Jalen Merrick   OL   Jr   6-4   316   Oak Hill, Fla.   New Smyrna Beach HS
75   Silas Robinson   OL   Fr   6-4   304   Yoakum, Texas   Yoakum HS
78   Dalton Wagner   OL   R-Fr   6-9   302   Spring Grove, Ill.   Richmond Burton HS
60   Brian Wallace   OL   Sr   6-6   320   Florissant, Mo.   Christian Brothers College HS
71   Ryan Winkel   OL   Fr   6-6   286   Memphis, Tenn.   Christian Brothers HS

Wagner could possibly be back in time to take a few snaps against E. Illinois and for sure by game 2.

My Game 1 2-Deep

what about Fan on the Hill's son? He may actually see the field after all. Hell, he may start.

oldhawg

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 11:20:44 am »

what about Fan on the Hill's son? He may actually see the field after all. Hell, he may start.

Didn't he graduate and move on to law school?

RazorRed26

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 11:27:48 am »

I believe he is no longer on the team. 

lakecityhog

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 12:02:54 pm »

Guys, this philosophy is working for us NOW!
Froholdt is projected to be our best O'Lineman and one of the best in the SEC. My bet is that Capps will be at worst our 3rd best O'Lineman THIS YEAR! He could well develop into one of the best in the SEC by next season.

We could have as many as 20 D"Linemen next fall and only 14 or 15 O'Linemen, you do the math.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 12:05:28 pm »

Froholdt is projected to be our best O'Lineman and one of the best in the SEC. My bet is that Capps will be at worst our 3rd best O'Lineman THIS YEAR! He could well develop into one of the best in the SEC by next season.

We could have as many as 20 D"Linemen next fall and only 14 or 15 O'Linemen, you do the math.
34-35/3=10-12 ???

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 12:11:23 pm »

He has left the program, along with Zach Rogers and Jake Heinreich.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 01:16:11 pm »

I think that even Morris will tell you that isn't an ideal philosophy to use for future planning to fill positions but let's face it, sometimes Safeties are signed that end up being LB's. Sometimes WR's are signed that wind up being CB's. Sometimes CB's are signed that end up being Safeties. And sometimes LB's are signed that grow into DE's while some RB's end up being LB's. Same goes with DT's that wind up being O-Linemen. Of course it is rare that you see an O-Lineman who converts to DT, though we have seen that attempted in the last few years with two players.

I'm all for finding guys who may have played one position in HS and early in their college career, convert them. But the ideal thing is being able to identify who has the best potential at any given position and starting them out in college with that position group. Some kids resist this (see LSU's LB Devin White) who think they are best served playing a different position than they have been evaluated to play. But after seeing some success and earlier playing time because of the switch, players suddenly become "ok" with the change. White is one of those who was well served by the change.

I'd like to see us recruiting 4-5 every year for the O-Line and to maintain 15-18 scholarship O-Linemen all the time that are truly deserving of that scholarship and then after attrition (which always occurs in one form or another), be able to convert players. But that's JMO.

WayneHawg

• Senior
    • Bacon Bits
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 01:24:08 pm »

We're close

tampahog

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2018, 02:17:30 pm »

I'm by no means an expert on how to deploy OL talent but I always read you should have your best OL at the left tackle position to protect the QBs back side.  Is anyone concerned about the move of Froholdt to center or is it better to have your best at Center since he can contribute on all plays (those that go right or left) ?

DeltaHog66

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2018, 03:36:15 pm »

What happened to Merrick? I guess I missed it.

lakecityhog

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2018, 03:53:29 pm »

Tampa, you need a guy with longer arms and quick feet at LT. Fro is, I think, more of a dozer type which is better suited to up the middle blocking.

I also think that spreading the defense across the width of the field will help our run game more than anything in the past 6 years. The biggest key to our early success is 1 thing, our QB's and the designated "hot" receiver MUST always be on the same page. Both have to read the pressure and respond exactly the same way in order to have an outlet for plus yardage rather than negative yardage.

Burn the defense for plus plays on blitzes and the D Coordinator is very likely to dial the pressure back. Confuse the offense and just the opposite will happen. Throwing to the spot vacated by the blitzer is not always the answer. We have to know if that particular defense rotates to fill the vacancy or not. If they tend to rotate in a set pattern then the vacancy is actually in a different spot. Both the QB and hot receiver must know and react the same.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2018, 05:31:22 pm »

(see LSU's LB Devin White)

Anyone that ever saw him play in HS could see that, yes he'll make a bruising RB but...... with his size/speed combination he'd be a freak at ILB.

Rare talent. Gonna be one of the best in the SEC if he keeps progressing and eventually playing on Sunday.

thebignasty

• I find your lack of faith... disturbing.
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2018, 05:32:30 pm »

What happened to Merrick? I guess I missed it.
Unexplained headaches.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2018, 05:35:39 pm »

Anyone that ever saw him play in HS could see that, yes he'll make a bruising RB but...... with his size/speed combination he'd be a freak at ILB.

Rare talent. Gonna be one of the best in the SEC if he keeps progressing and eventually playing on Sunday.

Anyone who has watched him or read about him knows that this is already true. That was the whole point about the switch in positions.

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 05:36:34 pm »

Let's not act like OL and DL are interchangeable. Let's not forget the grueling struggles Froholdt had for the better part of his first year at OL. Just because you see bodies at DL doesn't mean they can flip-flop over to OL and we are okay. I realize I don't follow many teams closely but I am not familiar with the DL-to-OL theme being common amongst bowl teams, let alone BCS contenders.

What we have to hope for: simpler schemes and quicker plays = fewer gaffes and fewer exposed hits on RB and (especially) the QB. And, can't overlook the fresh start the players have with the coaches (no lingering hesitancy because they farted in a team meeting in fall 2016).

When the OL juggle was going on the last few years (really, the entire Bielema era) we learned to temper any optimism. I want to see scheme and quick plays minimize bad plays before I am ready to embrace that we are fixing things vs performing triage.

As stated, I think the right side of the OL is going to be fine. But, that left side, ooh boy.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2018, 05:50:05 pm »

Let's not act like OL and DL are interchangeable. Let's not forget the grueling struggles Froholdt had for the better part of his first year at OL. Just because you see bodies at DL doesn't mean they can flip-flop over to OL and we are okay. I realize I don't follow many teams closely but I am not familiar with the DL-to-OL theme being common amongst bowl teams, let alone BCS contenders.

What we have to hope for: simpler schemes and quicker plays = fewer gaffes and fewer exposed hits on RB and (especially) the QB. And, can't overlook the fresh start the players have with the coaches (no lingering hesitancy because they farted in a team meeting in fall 2016).

When the OL juggle was going on the last few years (really, the entire Bielema era) we learned to temper any optimism. I want to see scheme and quick plays minimize bad plays before I am ready to embrace that we are fixing things vs performing triage.

As stated, I think the right side of the OL is going to be fine. But, that left side, ooh boy.

Austin's advantage, if there is one, is that he was a decent offensive lineman and has actually been coached to do some of the things that will be asked of him.

We'll see if the performance curve is any better than Hjalte's.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas