• 9,969,739 Posts
• 400,290 Topics
• 22,941 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Musk/Tesla  (Read 711 times)

theFlyingHog

Musk/Tesla
« on: August 17, 2018, 06:41:47 am »

Iím surprised to not find a topic on the front page. Which way are they heading? Fox Business really wants me to think ol Elon canít hack it. Said the Saudis arenít going to bail him out though they have a couple billion at stake

vandybuff

Re: Musk/Tesla
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:50:03 am »

i m o the company is very overvalued. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ricepig

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 08:16:54 am »

i m o the company is very overvalued. 

Extremely overvalued in my eyes, too.

McKdaddy

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:48:09 am »

He's too unhinged.  Probably should take it private, if he can factually secure the funding and get shareholder approval.

Vantage 8 dude

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 02:26:41 pm »

He's too unhinged.  Probably should take it private, if he can factually secure the funding and get shareholder approval.
Does seem to have a screw or two loose based on some of his public pronouncements. Not sure anyone can honestly believe what the guy says. Look, I get that up to now the original Tesla's have been amazing. However, it's become obvious that the quality of their latest models have slipped noticeably. A number of quality control problems, including (hard to believe) bumpers even falling off.

Sooner or later the company has be begin actually making money rather than constantly bleeding red ink. They've never made a profit; and while it's true their production numbers are APPARENTLY (if you can truly believe what we're being told) going up, one main issue is that virtually EVERY other car company out there is either already producing a line of electric vehicles or will be shortly. And that includes everyone from Chevy and Ford to Mercedes, Jaguar and almost anyone else you can think of. And THEY already have the production capacity and deep pockets to finance such ventures.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 02:28:04 pm »

Musk is a great ďideasĒ guy and his vision is inspiring to many. His weaknesses though lie in execution of the visions. More specifically, his lack of execution is tied to him not being able to delegate certain things, not being able/willing to develop a strong second in command, and lastly, translating his vision into leadership. Itís always him vs the shorts, him vs production estimates, etc. Dude needs to learn the subtle differences between inspiring, leading, and delegating.

Stock wise, TSLA is way overvalued because itís a bit of a cult stock.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 03:43:40 pm »

Musk is a great ďideasĒ guy and his vision is inspiring to many. His weaknesses though lie in execution of the visions. More specifically, his lack of execution is tied to him not being able to delegate certain things, not being able/willing to develop a strong second in command, and lastly, translating his vision into leadership. Itís always him vs the shorts, him vs production estimates, etc. Dude needs to learn the subtle differences between inspiring, leading, and delegating.

Much of what you say is totally "spot on", especially the part concerning his being a great "ideas" guy. Problem is that many such aren't able to actually take those concepts and get them to working PROFITABLY. A huge gulf often times between ideas and execution. Being a public company means you have a TON of outsiders-suppliers, bankers, stockholders, investment managers-etc. perusing the books and the overall operations of the company. They demand and expect a LOT of answers, not evasions, to their questions/concerns.  Besides, Musk is NOT that kind of guy who seems to "play well with others".

theFlyingHog

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 10:24:15 am »

This is exactly what it has seemed like to me and why I just donít feel like it will stick around. I mean, look at bitcoin.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 12:54:07 pm »

He is selling idea's and as long as those ideas keep coming with the shock and awe like they have the past so many years, the price soars.  I personally am a believer he can't implement the manufacturing side of the ideas on a scale to be anything different then a high end car manufacturer, ala Lambo, mclaren, etc.  His idea of that price point car was great, however it completely flopped IMO. 

This right here has killed his company.  If he wants to established an idea and thought based company he has something, if he wants to be a tech innovator company, he has something there, however he can't be all along with a manufacturer.  Im kind of shocked a google or apple hasn't swooped up the company for the innovations ideas to sell.

Dumb ole famrboy

• Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 06:05:45 am »

He is selling idea's and as long as those ideas keep coming with the shock and awe like they have the past so many years, the price soars.  I personally am a believer he can't implement the manufacturing side of the ideas on a scale to be anything different then a high end car manufacturer, ala Lambo, mclaren, etc.  His idea of that price point car was great, however it completely flopped IMO. 

This right here has killed his company.  If he wants to established an idea and thought based company he has something, if he wants to be a tech innovator company, he has something there, however he can't be all along with a manufacturer.  Im kind of shocked a google or apple hasn't swooped up the company for the innovations ideas to sell.
Specifically - what innovations? I am not throwing rocks - I really want to know what innovations.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 07:31:25 am »

Specifically - what innovations? I am not throwing rocks - I really want to know what innovations.

Tesla/spaceX havenít made any innovations?  Was Musk also the man with the idea behind PayPal as well? 

Dumb ole famrboy

• Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 08:39:38 am »

Tesla/spaceX havenít made any innovations?  Was Musk also the man with the idea behind PayPal as well? 
Sorry - I wasn't clear - what innovations come with an investment in Tesla?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 10:11:00 am »

Sorry - I wasn't clear - what innovations come with an investment in Tesla?

Iím not sure any do now.   Not real sure I even understand your question in response to my post. 

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 02:34:24 pm »

One thing that many are very likely overlooking is that with the alleged ramp up in production of the new Tesla their output will put them over the minimum required by the government for a special financial incentive that's help the company offset some of the costs/cash drain the company has continued to experience. As mentioned earlier there are competitive offerings either being introduced/will be introduced by such manufacturers as Ford, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and others. Obviously the playing field is going to become ever more crowded and competition increasingly intense.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:48:24 pm by Vantage 8 dude »

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2018, 05:12:58 pm »

So....surprise, surprise ole Elon has decided NOT to take the company private after all (as if THAT was ever a truly viable option). It will be truly interesting now that particular attempt to distract the public from the true future of the company has become clear what lies in store from the standpoint of the stock's performance. Will the shareholders that continue to believe that a company that is selling about 1.5% the number of the cars of someone like GM but losing money like the Titanic taking on water, continue to blindly follow this guy's schtick like the sheep and lemmings they are? And then there's the Board of Directors who generally seem to be content to crown Elon the infallible genius who doesn't know how to run a company or achieve the alleged production goals without continuing to turn the newer Tesla model 3 into an overpriced pile of junk. Reports of bumpers literally falling off, paint/finish issues, noticeable seams in the body where none should exist, elective battery issues, etc. make this once iconic brand into a overpriced bucket of bolts. So if one wants to follow the path of this guy and his pack of merry men over the cliff then best of luck with the parachutes.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 11:18:33 am »

Well we have some apparent clarification with the alleged settlement between the SEC and Musk/Tesla. While Elon will be able to remain with the company in some capacity, he won't have the same influence/power that he's held previously. While some would cheer this as a resolution to what could have been a MAJOR continuing drama/issue for the company's stock, the point of the matter is that in the end I personally don't see it as a game changer.

The fundamentals of the company continuing to bleed "red ink" hasn't changed, the likelihood of the company (finally) reporting any substantial profit(s) has not changed. In addition, the major issue of massively increased competition from the likes of Mercedes, Audi, Porsche and others has most certainly not improved.

I realize a lot of the bulls on the company will continue to love it despite all these factors. However, in the end with the huge bullseye on the company's product and despite the continued cult-like status of the company, the fundamental factor that continues to trump all others is the likelihood of the company continued inability to make money to justify the stock's lofty, and my opinion unsustainable, valuation and remains the real Achille's heel of prospects going forward. In the end (and where it ultimately counts) it's any company's ability to deliver value in the form of cash flow and earnings to its shareholders that determines the fate of the company. Neither of which appear to be particularly bright.

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 12:14:00 pm »

Will be interesting to see how their model 3 production numbers come in later this week. The whisper numbers seem to indicate they will report achieving the 5k model 3s per week production target and may be sniffing signs of profitability.

Personally, I think the stock is way overvalued but that's to be expected for a cult stock that is priced because of Musk mystique instead of fundamentals. As it relates to the model 3 numbers, they may achieve the 5k but in my mind, I keep thinking at what cost (i.e. quality control, safety, etc.)? 

Regardless of what happens with Musk or the latest production numbers from TSLA, I think there are much better trades and investments out there.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 01:04:53 pm »

Will be interesting to see how their model 3 production numbers come in later this week. The whisper numbers seem to indicate they will report achieving the 5k model 3s per week production target and may be sniffing signs of profitability.

Personally, I think the stock is way overvalued but that's to be expected for a cult stock that is priced because of Musk mystique instead of fundamentals. As it relates to the model 3 numbers, they may achieve the 5k but in my mind, I keep thinking at what cost (i.e. quality control, safety, etc.)? 

Regardless of what happens with Musk or the latest production numbers from TSLA, I think there are much better trades and investments out there.
Yep, much of what you say is very much "right on". Consider that IF TSLA hits certain production goals (which the may soon exceed) they stand to likely lose the tax incentives to buyers of vehicles going forward. Also the quality control issue(s) you mentioned are very much in the news. Reading more than one article considering bumpers (literally falling off), poor seam fits, problems with batteries, fit and finish as well as other issues in many of the model 3s. There's also been a huge backlash from many buyers of the three who haven't been able to have many of these problems addressed primarily due to the lack of dealerships/infrastructure from Tesla.

vandybuff

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 03:14:48 pm »

I have been doing this a very long time and I have never seen a senior company official like Mr. Musk.

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 03:31:21 pm »

I have been doing this a very long time and I have never seen a senior company official like Mr. Musk.
Nor do I suspect can any of the rest of us recall such....this guy man be some many respects a genius; however, he's also definitely out of the normal tilt of the earth's rotation.

twistitup

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 03:35:10 pm »

this guy man be some many respects a genius; however, he's also definitely out of the normal tilt of the earth's rotation.

Like many of the greats

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 03:54:57 pm »

Like many of the greats
But not like THIS!!

McKdaddy

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 05:15:02 pm »

Agreed.

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 06:03:16 pm »

vandybuff

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2018, 07:15:23 am »

As to genius, a friend of mine in college in the 70's was brilliant in particle physics, yet to cook a breakfast of sausage, eggs and homemade biscuits, she would set the alarm so she could start three hours early.  We are all brilliant ... and also idiots ... in particular things.  She had no desire to cook at Waffle House, which was good for her and everyone :)

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 06:18:43 am »

As to genius, a friend of mine in college in the 70's was brilliant in particle physics, yet to cook a breakfast of sausage, eggs and homemade biscuits, she would set the alarm so she could start three hours early.  We are all brilliant ... and also idiots ... in particular things.  She had no desire to cook at Waffle House, which was good for her and everyone :)

From reading this story, Iím guessing the breakfast was for you the next morning!  Haha. 

Musk is an innovator who I believe has become obsessed with the attention

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2018, 09:05:58 am »

From reading this story, Iím guessing the breakfast was for you the next morning!  Haha. 

Well he's obviously obsessed with SOMETHING. I agree that his ego has gone past the planet Mars he so lovingly speaks about. The guy can look to his mouth as one of, if not the biggest, reasons for many of his problems. I see over the last few days he's been wisecracking about the SEC (Security Exchange Commission) and its "slap on the wrist" fine/restrictions toward both the company and him. I suppose the guy just can't help himself.

vandybuff

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2018, 12:02:03 pm »

haha!  Actually, no .... but the extreme of this story stuck with me. 

Vantage 8 dude

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 05:45:48 pm »

Some further considerations to chew on over the next several days/weeks. This Thursday (10/11) U.S. District Judge Alison Nathan has requested from BOTH Musk and the SEC letters detailing why she should accept the recent settlement announced against both Musk and Tesla. What will be particularly interesting is whether or not one requirement of the settlement-that Musk avoid making ANY comments/remarks concerning conditions of the settlement-will be deemed to have been violated. You might recall that just days after the announced settlement Musk referred to the fine and other restrictions as coming from the "Shortseller Enrichment Commission"(SEC).............Humm.......

Another intriguing back story swirling around all this is a $730 million convertible debt payment due in November. Yet another larger $920 million comes due in March of next year. With cash funds running critically short the apparent hope was the debt could be met by exchange of stock at considerably higher prices. Considering the stock is down in value some 30% since his infamous "going private" tweet a couple of months ago this has been a strategy straight from hell.

One last potential twist has also been suggested. Some within the investment community (primarily short sellers) have mused that some of Musk's antics may be a very well thought out ploy to force the Tesla board to relieve him of all duties involving running the company. This line of thinking suggests that in this manner Musk could somehow escape much, if not all, the blame for any further problems the company may encounter going forward.

One thing that DOES seem apparent is that as long as Elon Musk is involved in any way, shape, or form with the operations and decisions of running Tesla there will likely never be a dull moment. It WILL keep things interesting so hang on.

BENTON PIGGEE

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 05:07:47 pm »

Dunno if it's overpriced, but I bought 30 shares as it was going from 300 to 250, now it's at 344.

I put in an order for a model 3 and should get it in February.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas