• 10,158,459 Posts
• 405,230 Topics
• 23,131 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Otis Thoughts on Hurts  (Read 9191 times)

hogfan1981

Re: Otis Thoughts on Hurts
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2018, 05:28:30 pm »

Nah Bro just read the thread. Weíre set at the position and Hurts doesnít get it done at Bama lol. Iíd like to know what getting it done would be? It doesnít really matter because itís not ever going to happen anyway but yea some of the comments are laughable. I hate Alabama but place Jalen or someone with his same skill set up against anybody we have on campus and itís not even close. I think the OPís question is valid because I donít think we will see Jefferson come in and light things up as a FR in this offense. Iím not sure any FR could. I for one donít think Cole or Ty will be very successful against SEC defenses. That doesnít mean Iím right and I hope Iím wrong. Our younger guys have promise but anyone can go watch the few videos we have of them this fall and see they look like a fish out of water. Too many moving parts and the games too fast for them right now but they will catch on.

Also, regarding our younger guys, I think Noland eventually winds up playing baseball only. Although he is very talented on the football field, he is too talented on the baseball field and would have a great future making lots of money going that route. Not sure when that decision will be made, but if those advising him are very smart, that would be the direction they would advise him to take.

porkrindjimmy

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2018, 05:28:48 pm »

God help us if you are all of a sudden the voice of the boards.  Let me introduce you to a term Liljo - misogynist. Not sure how you 'never insulted' anybody post could be more insulting to the ladies on the board. 

Keep taking the high road though.

Incidentally, I agree with your football response 100%.  No way we take him over any OL transfer.

He has asserted himself really quickly in here as some sort of guru....

PRJ

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dark Helmet Hog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2018, 05:33:26 pm »

Beautiful!!!!

PRJ

Hall of Fame material.

hoglady

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2018, 06:04:10 pm »

Well, he wouldn't actually transfer until he graduates in December, which would make him immediately eligible, as a graduate transfer, no matter where he goes. Also, if he doesn't win the starting job this year and doesn't play in more than 4 games, he could use this year as a redshirt since he played as a true freshman. That would leave him with 2 years of eligibility wherever he wound up.

Thanks for the explanation.
And I will be shocked if he wins the starting job at Bama.
I thought I read that Tua was taking the first team snaps.

hogfan1981

« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2018, 07:09:19 pm »

Thanks for the explanation.
And I will be shocked if he wins the starting job at Bama.
I thought I read that Tua was taking the first team snaps.

You're quite welcome. I agree. I think Tua will win the job because of his arm. I read that, as well.

liljo

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2018, 07:50:18 pm »

He has asserted himself really quickly in here as some sort of guru....

PRJ
My apologies, sincerely, for any offenses caused.

Go Hogs

Tick Hog

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2018, 10:10:15 pm »

Also, regarding our younger guys, I think Noland eventually winds up playing baseball only. Although he is very talented on the football field, he is too talented on the baseball field and would have a great future making lots of money going that route. Not sure when that decision will be made, but if those advising him are very smart, that would be the direction they would advise him to take.
Iím definitely pulling for the kid regardless of what he decides to do. I think heís a quality athlete thatís not afraid of the competition. Heck Iím just as excited to see what the coaches can do with Cole and Ty because I believe they hang their hat on being able to develop QBís. Regardless of their overall talent levels I know this staff will not continue to ask them to do something they canít over and over and that has me excited.

hogfan1981

« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2018, 11:55:19 pm »

Iím definitely pulling for the kid regardless of what he decides to do. I think heís a quality athlete thatís not afraid of the competition. Heck Iím just as excited to see what the coaches can do with Cole and Ty because I believe they hang their hat on being able to develop QBís. Regardless of their overall talent levels I know this staff will not continue to ask them to do something they canít over and over and that has me excited.

I think you are absolutely correct.

Flrazrback

• Varsity
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2018, 11:57:04 pm »

Jalen is a quality quarterback and a fine young man. He runs an offense that is greatly different than Chad Morris will use at Arkansas. That being said, we will not see Mr Hurts in a Hog uniform...

porkrindjimmy

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2018, 03:35:15 pm »

My apologies, sincerely, for any offenses caused.

Go Hogs

You don't have to apologize to me....

I was just yanking your chain.

You bring good takes to the board, keep dealing them out.

PRJ

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2018, 03:49:57 pm »

It won't happen but Hurts would do great in Morris' system in my opinion. Dude is an unbelievably gifted runner and can pass well enough.

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2018, 06:15:17 pm »

Nah Bro just read the thread. Weíre set at the position and Hurts doesnít get it done at Bama lol. Iíd like to know what getting it done would be? It doesnít really matter because itís not ever going to happen anyway but yea some of the comments are laughable. I hate Alabama but place Jalen or someone with his same skill set up against anybody we have on campus and itís not even close. I think the OPís question is valid because I donít think we will see Jefferson come in and light things up as a FR in this offense. Iím not sure any FR could. I for one donít think Cole or Ty will be very successful against SEC defenses. That doesnít mean Iím right and I hope Iím wrong. Our younger guys have promise but anyone can go watch the few videos we have of them this fall and see they look like a fish out of water. Too many moving parts and the games too fast for them right now but they will catch on.

Great post. Jalen would be an upgrade. All the posters bagging on him would be singing his praises as soon as they found out he was transferring.

hogfan1981

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2019, 12:41:18 pm »

Still far fetched and not a recruiting topic?

BroyledNutts

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2019, 01:06:53 pm »

I've heard Jalen state in numerous interviews that getting his degree is most important for him for family reasons ... that he has no intention of transferring from Alabama ... and he will explore the NFL as an Alabama team member ... unless he's not a person of his word, his statements tell me he's not transferring or leaving the program to go anywhere else.

Hawg Law 7

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2019, 01:14:04 pm »

I've heard Jalen state in numerous interviews that getting his degree is most important for him for family reasons ... that he has no intention of transferring from Alabama ... and he will explore the NFL as an Alabama team member ... unless he's not a person of his word, his statements tell me he's not transferring or leaving the program to go anywhere else.

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=675188.msg11878750#msg11878750

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25721677/jalen-hurts-alabama-crimson-tide-enters-name-info-ncaa-transfer-portal

hogfan1981

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2019, 01:17:41 pm »

He has his degree. Graduated in December. Unless he does indeed opt to go to the NFL, he would be crazy to stay at Alabama, from a football perspective. Will he come to Arkansas? Probably not. But I don't think he will be in an Alabama uniform next year.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2019, 01:18:10 pm »

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=675188.msg11878750#msg11878750

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25721677/jalen-hurts-alabama-crimson-tide-enters-name-info-ncaa-transfer-portal

Well, I'm not sure if I stand corrected or not ... on one hand that would indicate that he's at least considering it, and on the other it doesn't mean a darned thing.

This could be an indication that [since he graduated in December] he's going to explore his NFL options thru Bama's camps ... if he doesn't get the right kind of feedback, he has a fall back option thru the transfer portal ... and if that's the case he's made a very intelligent move for his own future.

hogfan1981

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2019, 01:27:37 pm »

Well, I'm not sure if I stand corrected or not ... on one hand that would indicate that he's at least considering it, and on the other it doesn't mean a darned thing.

This could be an indication that [since he graduated in December] he's going to explore his NFL options thru Bama's camps ... if he doesn't get the right kind of feedback, he has a fall back option thru the transfer portal ... and if that's the case he's made a very intelligent move for his own future.

I disagree that it doesn't mean a darned thing. Once he put his name in the portal, other coaches are free to contact him in an effort to recruit him. I don't know how Saban looks at it, but I wouldn't be very happy about one of my players willingly taking sales pitches from other coaches. It would be really hard to welcome him back into the fold after he did that. Jalen did everything asked of him this year in a difficult situation. I think he would be better off transferring somewhere he will be the starter.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2019, 01:31:51 pm »

He has 5 more days to declare for the draft. Am I correct to assume that just because he puts his name on a transfer list, there's nothing stopping him from declaring for the draft?

hogfan1981

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2019, 01:37:07 pm »

He has 5 more days to declare for the draft. Am I correct to assume that just because he puts his name on a transfer list, there's nothing stopping him from declaring for the draft?

You are correct. The QB from Buffalo entered his name on the transfer list and then opted to enter the NFL draft.

Hogdomer

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2019, 01:41:04 pm »

He is not a good NFL prospect.  Maybe an undrafted free agent.  He's a solid college player though.

hogfan1981

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2019, 01:44:21 pm »

He is not a good NFL prospect.  Maybe an undrafted free agent.  He's a solid college player though.

I think his 2 years as starter left a lot to be desired in the passing game. He has proven he can run. If he can transfer somewhere and be a starter, it would give him an opportunity to show he has improved in the passing game and I think he could work his way into a mid-round guy.

sickboy

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2019, 02:14:54 pm »

You definitely stand corrected. You said he wouldnít leave Alabama for another school and that getting his degree is really important to him. Heís either leaving for another school or leaving Alabama without a degree. Unless he changes his mind, one of those scenarios has to happen.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2019, 02:17:55 pm »

Clearly he has options, although being the starter at Bama doesn't appear to be one of them.  NFL teams seem to be in a gambling mood lately and Hurts has the type of skill set that teams are looking at right now.  Dual threat QB's are in vogue as are spread offense oriented coaches.  Arizona's hiring of Kingsbury is the latest example of this and the Ravens going with Jackson in the playoffs another.  To dismiss Hurts as "not a good NFL prospect" I think is speculative at best.  NFL teams want points on the board and wide open offense.  It would not surprise me at all to see a GM of a small market team take a chance on him, Denver or LA Chargers for example (Yes LA is huge market but not really a football city and definitely not a chargers city). Denver is really floundering at QB and don't really have a dual threat on the roster.  Charger have Geno Smith behind 15 year vet Rivers, but Smith is serviceable at best and will be a departure (not a great passer) from Rivers if/when he's gone.  2-4 round of the draft would not be a huge risk and might be enough to tempt Hurts into the draft since he already has a degree.  I think he has comparable skills to Lamar Jackson, and he's a starter, albeit not a good one.

That being said, I hope he comes to Arkansas, but I hope Shumer, Pelosi, and Trump all resign tomorrow too.  None of which are likely to happen.

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2019, 02:18:37 pm »

Here's my problem with Hurts. He won't be surrounded by the talent here he was at Alabama. Is he the type quarterback who can take an offense not as talented as Bama, lift it up and put it on his shoulders and take them to a win? See I don't think he is. But to answer your question, the staff at Arkansas might, but I think they will be content with getting KJ Jefferson in here and letting him compete for the job.

Spot on.

Hogdomer

« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2019, 02:31:35 pm »

Clearly he has options, although being the starter at Bama doesn't appear to be one of them.  NFL teams seem to be in a gambling mood lately and Hurts has the type of skill set that teams are looking at right now.  Dual threat QB's are in vogue as are spread offense oriented coaches.  Arizona's hiring of Kingsbury is the latest example of this and the Ravens going with Jackson in the playoffs another.  To dismiss Hurts as "not a good NFL prospect" I think is speculative at best.  NFL teams want points on the board and wide open offense.  It would not surprise me at all to see a GM of a small market team take a chance on him, Denver or LA Chargers for example (Yes LA is huge market but not really a football city and definitely not a chargers city). Denver is really floundering at QB and don't really have a dual threat on the roster.  Charger have Geno Smith behind 15 year vet Rivers, but Smith is serviceable at best and will be a departure (not a great passer) from Rivers if/when he's gone.  2-4 round of the draft would not be a huge risk and might be enough to tempt Hurts into the draft since he already has a degree.  I think he has comparable skills to Lamar Jackson, and he's a starter, albeit not a good one.

That being said, I hope he comes to Arkansas, but I hope Shumer, Pelosi, and Trump all resign tomorrow too.  None of which are likely to happen.

He isnít coming here and I donít think he is an NFL QB.  He isnít nearly the runner that Lamar Jackson is and is an average passer.  I think he goes to OU and Kyler opts for the NFL draft.

Kyle

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2019, 02:38:29 pm »

If I remember correctly, Murray is an Oakland A and will be pursuing that route vs. the NFL draft. That's irrelevant to the topic, but I don't see us pursuing Hurts, unless it's to influence the locker room positively. Our weakness at QB last year was stretching the field, which Hurts struggles to do with his arm. Miami makes more sense than Arkansas.

Hawg Law 7

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2019, 02:56:36 pm »

You definitely stand corrected. You said he wouldnít leave Alabama for another school and that getting his degree is really important to him. Heís either leaving for another school or leaving Alabama without a degree. Unless he changes his mind, one of those scenarios has to happen.

I'm willing to bet he leaves for another school and takes his Alabama degree with him.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2019, 03:01:17 pm »

maryland or Houston possibility?

The Pocahontas Porker

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2019, 03:09:46 pm »

I honestly donít believe he will ever take a snap as a starting QB in the NFL . Heís a good system QB on one of the top 2 teams in college surrounded by starting 5 star lineman . 

Hogdomer

« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2019, 03:24:56 pm »

If I remember correctly, Murray is an Oakland A and will be pursuing that route vs. the NFL draft. That's irrelevant to the topic, but I don't see us pursuing Hurts, unless it's to influence the locker room positively. Our weakness at QB last year was stretching the field, which Hurts struggles to do with his arm. Miami makes more sense than Arkansas.

Current word on the street is that Kyler is going to play football and break his contract with the A's.  Also, word from my OU friend with sources is that Hurts is currently on their campus.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2019, 03:32:07 pm »

He isnít coming here and I donít think he is an NFL QB.  He isnít nearly the runner that Lamar Jackson is and is an average passer.  I think he goes to OU and Kyler opts for the NFL draft.

If he is an average passer, why would he go to OU or more to the point, why would OU take him?  Their offense is pass oriented and requires a very accurate passer.   Kyler is going Baseball. 

Jackson is more run oriented for sure, but Hurts is the more accurate passer of the two and is more than capable of beating you with his legs.

Career Numbers (NCAA)
Lamar Jackson  57% Comp%  142.9 Pass Rating  6.3 YPC  (655 carries)
Jalen Hurts       62.9% Comp%  148.8 Pass Rating  5.2 YPC (381 carries)
QB 3                57.4% Comp%  134.8 Pass Rating  1.0 YPC (134 carries)
QB 4                59.1% Comp%  141.6 Pass Rating  -1.3 YPC (109 carries)
QB 5                62.8% Comp%  146.0 Pass Rating  4.7 YPC (536 carries)

Hurts is not coming to Arkansas, but he has the talent to get a shot in the NFL if he chooses that path.  Someone will take a chance on him.  BTW QB3 and QB4 both got shots in the NFL.  The bar ain't that high.  QB5 is the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2019, 03:34:05 pm »

Arkansas is not on Jalen Hurts' radar. I doubt coming here has ever crossed his mind. But the notion that he's not better than what they have is a huge stretch. I promise each and every one of you, if Hurts picked up the phone and called Chad Morris the entire football operations center would go bonkers.

Hogdomer

« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2019, 03:36:49 pm »

If he is an average passer, why would he go to OU or more to the point, why would OU take him?  Their offense is pass oriented and requires a very accurate passer.   Kyler is going Baseball. 

Jackson is more run oriented for sure, but Hurts is the more accurate passer of the two and is more than capable of beating you with his legs.

Career Numbers (NCAA)
Lamar Jackson  57% Comp%  142.9 Pass Rating  6.3 YPC  (655 carries)
Jalen Hurts       62.9% Comp%  148.8 Pass Rating  5.2 YPC (381 carries)
QB 3                57.4% Comp%  134.8 Pass Rating  1.0 YPC (134 carries)
QB 4                59.1% Comp%  141.6 Pass Rating  -1.3 YPC (109 carries)
QB 5                62.8% Comp%  146.0 Pass Rating  4.7 YPC (536 carries)

Hurts is not coming to Arkansas, but he has the talent to get a shot in the NFL if he chooses that path.  Someone will take a chance on him.  BTW QB3 and QB4 both got shots in the NFL.  The bar ain't that high.  QB5 is the starting QB for the Dallas Cowboys.

I agree Hurts could make an NFL roster somewhere, but I have no idea why OU would want him.  And I would put money Kyler will play football next year.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:06:23 pm by Hogdomer »

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2019, 03:43:53 pm »

I agree he could make an NFL roster somewhere, but I have no idea why OU would want Hurts.  And I would put money Kyler will play football next year.

I WOULDN'T bet 4.7 million that he sticks with baseball.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 03:22:13 pm by BossHawg_Outlaw »

Hawg Law 7

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2019, 03:48:42 pm »

I agree he could make an NFL roster somewhere, but I have no idea why OU would want Hurts.  And I would put money Kyler will play football next year.

Kyler might play football next year, but if he does, there is a 0.00% chance it is at OU.

Hogdomer

« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2019, 03:55:54 pm »

Kyler might play football next year, but if he does, there is a 0.00% chance it is at OU.

It's higher than that, but I agree he will likely go to the NFL and I think he will be a first round pick. 

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2019, 04:41:36 pm »

You are correct. The QB from Buffalo entered his name on the transfer list and then opted to enter the NFL draft.

Thank you, kindly. It is my opinion that he will wind up at Houston.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #88 on: January 09, 2019, 05:17:20 pm »

In the thread on Buechele that was posted today, some Vegas guy is issuing odds on where Hurts, Buechele and Wimbush wind up playing next season.

No SEC schools are on the list for Hurts, maybe he and the staff have sort of a gentlemen's agreement that he will go outside the conference if/when he does leave.

I know we apparently aren't on his radar, but IMO neither is 'Bama for 2019. I think that's why Saban put him in the game late the other night.

FWIW, Houston is listed as the favorite and I read an article this morning that TCU will go after him hard if he becomes available. Maryland was #2 or 3, TCU was #5 in the odds for him.

Also FWIW, we are #1 in the odds for Buechele..

Hogberry Snortcake

• Hogvillian
  • "Something profound." -Someone Famous
« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2019, 05:27:50 pm »

maryland or Houston possibility?

Sports guys here in DC area acting like Maryland is the team to beat.

jackflash

« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2019, 05:39:09 pm »

I like him as far as the names we are hearing. I think he could play well here

MemphisBossHog

« Reply #91 on: January 09, 2019, 06:07:28 pm »

Hurts is not a Duel threat QB , heís a running threat QB  who I think is mediocre at best .   
yeah, I just dont see him coming to ARK where he has no connection.  He has seen our program the past couple of years.  We got to be realistic.  Just dont think ARK would be interesting to him.   He has played in 2 national championship games.  A 2-10 program with a 2nd year coach in the same division as Bama would not seem like a destination that Hurts would consider.   Just my take though.  Could be dead wrong.

Hogdomer

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2019, 02:28:53 pm »

I bet 4.7 million that he sticks with baseball.

You're on.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2019, 02:50:49 pm »

I bet 4.7 million that he sticks with baseball.
Just declared for the NFL draft.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2019, 03:16:58 pm »

Hurts would have brought the "R" to the RPO, bigly.

BossHawg_Outlaw

« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2019, 03:21:37 pm »

You're on.

Damn now I got to change my name and start a new account. 

jvanhorn

« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2019, 08:57:56 pm »

None of this matters.  He is going to Miami, Maryland or OU.  Most likely Miami, which could turn them into a team you wouldn't want to play.

AirWarren

• Football impotence of the Midwest
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2019, 08:20:05 am »

None of this matters.  He is going to Miami, Maryland or OU.  Most likely Miami, which could turn them into a team you wouldn't want to play.

With the Oklahoma quarterback declaring, Oklahomaís odds just got stronger.

Think Miami is the favorite but Oklahoma is closer to his home and is competing at a high level already. Miami is a rebuild.

The Hogfather

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2019, 08:29:20 am »

With the Oklahoma quarterback declaring, Oklahomaís odds just got stronger.

Think Miami is the favorite but Oklahoma is closer to his home and is competing at a high level already. Miami is a rebuild.

Well, he was never going to stay at Oklahoma, it was only a decision of baseball vs. football. 

I'm still thinking he might end up at Maryland. 

GTOWNHOG

« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2019, 12:46:37 pm »

I don't think that Jalen Hurts would transfer to any University that has Alabama on their 2019 schedule.  He's too loyal to the BAMA program.  I can see some place like TCU or another Big 12 University.  Maybe Miami since Dan Enos is now there.  One thing for sure is that he will not be on Arkansas' roster in 2019.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas