• 10,058,683 Posts
• 402,657 Topics
• 23,009 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Otis Thoughts on Hurts  (Read 8977 times)

hogfan1981

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Otis Thoughts on Hurts
« on: August 11, 2018, 09:52:46 am »

Otis, if Jalen Hurts does not win the starting job at Alabama, could you see this staff going after him as a grad transfer, or do you think they are content with QB's on campus and that are coming in? I believe he graduates in December, so he would be able to play immediately.

longtimeHogfan

Re: Otis Thoughts on Hurts
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 10:23:24 am »

I'm too easily motivated by my heart instead of my head.  Maybe head coaches that get the big bucks to make such decisions could do that but I couldn't.  Not to our present group of QB's.  My head says it might equate to 'W's....my heart says it'd result in disappointments and transfers.  If wins and loses are all that matters then bring him on but I couldn't do it.

And now that I think about it, why don't I feel the same way about an OL grad transfer?  Maybe I just need more coffee....

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 10:41:23 am »

Not gonna happen IMHO.

GoHogzzGo

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 11:17:30 am »

Would rather have the QBs on our roster.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 11:18:05 am »

Not gonna happen IMHO.

Agreed. IMHO, Hurts is a Wishbone (Triple Option) QB trying to run the spread but he does not pass well enough to be a Spread QB.

rzrbackramsfan

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 11:44:59 am »

Otis, if Jalen Hurts does not win the starting job at Alabama, could you see this staff going after him as a grad transfer, or do you think they are content with QB's on campus and that are coming in? I believe he graduates in December, so he would be able to play immediately.

If he could redshirt this year, transfer as a graduate, and be able to compete for the starting job next year, I think that would be great.  I bet he'd win the job too. 

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 11:45:40 am »

Here's my problem with Hurts. He won't be surrounded by the talent here he was at Alabama. Is he the type quarterback who can take an offense not as talented as Bama, lift it up and put it on his shoulders and take them to a win? See I don't think he is. But to answer your question, the staff at Arkansas might, but I think they will be content with getting KJ Jefferson in here and letting him compete for the job.

hogfan1981

• Varsity
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 12:23:03 pm »

Here's my problem with Hurts. He won't be surrounded by the talent here he was at Alabama. Is he the type quarterback who can take an offense not as talented as Bama, lift it up and put it on his shoulders and take them to a win? See I don't think he is. But to answer your question, the staff at Arkansas might, but I think they will be content with getting KJ Jefferson in here and letting him compete for the job.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. IMO, I don't think they would go after him, especially since we may wind up with close to 25 recruits this year. I just read an article about the QB situation at Alabama and the thought came to mind, purely because of Hurt's ability with his legs and Morris' offense being ideal for a dual threat QB.

hogfan1981

• Varsity
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 12:27:46 pm »

Would rather have the QBs on our roster.

I like the QB's on our roster. I'm especially intrigued by Jones, mainly because of the level of competition he played against in Texas and the success he had.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 12:42:04 pm »

I agree and it is for the reasons that you mentioned (those of Hurts) that if he were to go the grad transfer route, it would be to a school that already had as many highly ranked quality players in place as possible, that only needed a QB to make a potential run at a Championship. Now that's a team having to have a whole lot of moving parts in place, but I just think there are a lot of other schools who are perhaps further ahead of the power curve in that regard than we are at this time. All that said, if you were LSU and the Joe Barrow experiment failed to yield the desired results, would you take a chance with Hurts?

Three and Snout

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 12:48:04 pm »

He should transfer to Georgia Tech.

hogfan1981

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 01:19:05 pm »

I agree and it is for the reasons that you mentioned (those of Hurts) that if he were to go the grad transfer route, it would be to a school that already had as many highly ranked quality players in place as possible, that only needed a QB to make a potential run at a Championship. Now that's a team having to have a whole lot of moving parts in place, but I just think there are a lot of other schools who are perhaps further ahead of the power curve in that regard than we are at this time. All that said, if you were LSU and the Joe Barrow experiment failed to yield the desired results, would you take a chance with Hurts?

Absolutely. LSU always seems a capable QB away from contending for a title.

daBoar

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 03:52:31 pm »

He should transfer to Georgia Tech.
As an Atlanta resident with three members of my family having GT degrees, I like this.

Tick Hog

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 05:22:59 pm »

So weíre to the point where we pass up Jalen Hurts because heís not a good passer lol.

theFlyingHog

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 05:42:13 pm »

He doesnít pass well enough IMO

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 05:59:23 pm »

If you bring in that one guy do you loose the rest of the room?

We aren't making a title run this year and we for sure don't need problems with current or future players at the QB spot chasing fools gold.  Even before the season starts?  Come on.

hogfan1981

• Varsity
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 06:11:49 pm »

We aren't making a title run this year and we for sure don't need problems with current or future players at the QB spot chasing fools gold.  Even before the season starts?  Come on.

I don't mean for it to be a knock on our current guys. I happen to think we have enough talent on this team to surprise a lot of people. As far as the timing of the question being before the season, nothing was meant by that so don't take it in that context. However, looking at the facts, Hurts is a proven dual threat QB, who has a gaudy W-L record, and has been named SEC offensive player of the year. I also don't think he will win the job at Alabama, which means he will likely transfer, and with the new redshirt rules, could have 2 years of eligibility remaining. I'm not advocating for him, I just wondered what Otis' opinion was on the potentiality of it.

LRHawg

• This too shall pass
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2018, 06:21:54 pm »

Can he play OL?

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2018, 06:44:35 pm »

He is certainly not the best QB passing wise. But he isnít as bad as some here are stating

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2018, 06:58:21 pm »

He wouldn't be coming here anyway. So it matters not.

Seebs

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2018, 07:40:25 pm »

Why is this is in Recruiting?

hogfan1981

• Varsity
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2018, 08:39:52 pm »

Because coaches sometimes save a recruiting slot or two for potential grad transfers. No different than Junior College players, except you don't always know ahead of time who will be grad transfers.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2018, 09:34:23 pm »

Heck no man!  Hurts can't win here, we'd be better off with the QB's we've got now.  He can run, but he can't pass well enough and he won't have all day to pass like he does behind that Oline of Bamas.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2018, 09:39:08 pm »

Because there isn't a crazy ass speculation forum  ???

Seebs

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2018, 10:51:09 pm »

Because coaches sometimes save a recruiting slot or two for potential grad transfers. No different than Junior College players, except you don't always know ahead of time who will be grad transfers.

Yeah - not recruiting.  And that slot you speak of is on the overall 85 team slot, not the 25 recruit slot - so again, not recruiting.

And Hurts has not left Alabama - so this should fall in the SEC forum where all threads go to die - because it is well, not recruiting.

When Hurts does leave Bama, and is a grad transfer and decides to transfer to Arkansas that would fall into the MMQB forum because, well, it is not recruiting.

hogfan1981

• Varsity
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2018, 11:27:50 pm »

Yeah - not recruiting.  And that slot you speak of is on the overall 85 team slot, not the 25 recruit slot - so again, not recruiting.

And Hurts has not left Alabama - so this should fall in the SEC forum where all threads go to die - because it is well, not recruiting.

When Hurts does leave Bama, and is a grad transfer and decides to transfer to Arkansas that would fall into the MMQB forum because, well, it is not recruiting.

Yep, and planning on grad transfers impacts how many guys you sign. And people like you, with your smart ass condescending attitude, is why a lot of people like me don't like posting on this forum. I know how recruiting works. I was fortunate enough to be a college athlete. If you don't like the question I asked Otis, then feel free to move along.

Pork Twain

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2018, 11:32:21 pm »

So we’re to the point where we pass up Jalen Hurts because he’s not a good passer lol.
Yes and the fact that if he cannot get it done with all of the talent they have at Bama at WR, RB, and OL, how well is he really going to do here

snf6278

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2018, 12:26:40 am »

I think he ends up with Kiffin at FAU anyways.

Three and Snout

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2018, 12:28:48 am »

Yes and the fact that if he cannot get it done with all of the talent they have at Bama at WR, RB, and OL, how well is he really going to do here

This is my feels about the question.

Mike_e

• May the woo be with you
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2018, 09:33:21 am »

I think he ends up with Kiffin at FAU anyways.

If he does transfer this would be the smart move for him. 

He already has a history with Kiffen and Kiffen knows how to make him shine.  If he has any shot at the NFL Kiffen is the one to load him up.

Seebs

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2018, 10:45:12 am »

Yep, and planning on grad transfers impacts how many guys you sign. And people like you, with your smart ass condescending attitude, is why a lot of people like me don't like posting on this forum. I know how recruiting works. I was fortunate enough to be a college athlete. If you don't like the question I asked Otis, then feel free to move along.
I simply do not suffer fools well.  Which, again, is not recruiting.

Not mad Brah. Just wish this was in another forum - perhaps a 'Dear Otis, this has nothing to do with recruiting but here is a question because I am scared to ask Mike Irwin forum' .

Maybe a forum called - 'Just Otis Recapping Things Speculated'. or 'JORTS'

That one has legs. 

The Pocahontas Porker

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2018, 11:24:14 am »

Hurts is not a Duel threat QB , heís a running threat QB  who I think is mediocre at best .   

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2018, 11:36:35 am »

Not mad Brah. Just wish this was in another forum - perhaps a 'Dear Otis, this has nothing to do with recruiting but here is a question because I am scared to ask Mike Irwin forum' .

That one has legs.

Wow. All this condescension because you disagree with the placement of a thread!

Well, that's okay. I take it you are a female fan. Glad to have you, but things can get a lot messier around a bunch of guys talking football.

Concerning the OP, I don't know how Otis feels about it, but I have no desire to see Hurts in an Arkansas jersey. I've seen absolutely no indications he would transfer at all, much less specifically to us. I thoroughly trust this staff to find and develop QBs just fine on their own. But hey man, post anytime, and anywhere you want. Everyone gets jabbed around here, mostly because there is safety in cyberspace.

Go to any sports bar. Have a few brews and talk Razorback football. There may be a few disagreements on certain points, but I have NEVER been verbally insulted in person. Happens pretty often on the internet.

Seebs

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2018, 11:45:02 am »

Wow. All this condescension because you disagree with the placement of a thread!

Well, that's okay. I take it you are a female fan. Glad to have you, but things can get a lot messier around a bunch of guys talking football.

Concerning the OP, I don't know how Otis feels about it, but I have no desire to see Hurts in an Arkansas jersey. I've seen absolutely no indications he would transfer at all, much less specifically to us. I thoroughly trust this staff to find and develop QBs just fine on their own. But hey man, post anytime, and anywhere you want. Everyone gets jabbed around here, mostly because there is safety in cyberspace.

Go to any sports bar. Have a few brews and talk Razorback football. There may be a few disagreements on certain points, but I have NEVER been verbally insulted in person. Happens pretty often on the internet.

God help us if you are all of a sudden the voice of the boards.  Let me introduce you to a term Liljo - misogynist. Not sure how you 'never insulted' anybody post could be more insulting to the ladies on the board. 

Keep taking the high road though.

Incidentally, I agree with your football response 100%.  No way we take him over any OL transfer.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2018, 11:48:50 am »

God help us if you are all of a sudden the voice of the boards.  Let me introduce you to a term Liljo - misogynist. Not sure how you 'never insulted' anybody post could be more insulting to the ladies on the board. 

Keep taking the high road though.

Incidentally, I agree with your football response 100%.  No way we take him over any OL transfer.

Well there, see! We found some common ground, as different as we are from each other!  Football!

King Kong

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2018, 11:56:33 am »

Iím kind of surprised by the comments here. Hurts is not a great passer and wonít be a NFL QB because of it.

But he is a tremendous college QB that would fit this offense like a glove. He is a good passer, makes good decisions and is a very good runner. 40TD passing to 10 Ints

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2018, 12:20:53 pm »

Because there isn't a crazy ass speculation forum  ???
Please forgive my outburst last night.  I might have been drinking.   :-[

Oh wait!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/report-tua-tagovailoa-takes-lead-in-alabama-qb-competition/ar-BBLP5CL?li=BBnb7Kz

Zenitz says he was told Tagovailoa ďthrew at least three touchdowns with no interceptionsĒ and that Jalen Hurts ďhad three interceptions and didnít account for any touchdowns.Ē

hogfan1981

• Varsity
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2018, 12:25:15 pm »

I don't think I would want him in a Hog jersey, either. The original thought, and why I asked the question, was because of an article I read in response to Hurts comments he made the other day about their QB competition. If I'm not mistaken, both QB's there have indicated, or someone in their family has indicated, they would transfer if they aren't starting. I just thought it was interesting given the past success Morris' offenses have had with QB's who are good runners. I highly respect Otis' opinion on player evaluations, so I posed the question to him.

As for the condescending comments, I said exactly what I thought, and I will leave it at that. I have a good understanding of how recruiting works since I was a college athlete. I also know someone with Hurts resume would have to be recruited just as any other high school senior or JUCO transfer. He isn't just going to fall in your lap without some effort from the coaches because he will be highly coveted, if it comes to that. I also know that if coaches are targeting a grad transfer or two, it impacts how many people they sign.

Unfortunately you won't find me in a sports bar, or any other bar for that matter. I agree that I have never been insulted in person when having these kinds of discussions. I also suspect this Joe Blow would be reluctant to do so in person, as well.

hogfan1981

• Varsity
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2018, 12:29:06 pm »

If he does transfer this would be the smart move for him. 

He already has a history with Kiffen and Kiffen knows how to make him shine.  If he has any shot at the NFL Kiffen is the one to load him up.

Interesting. I hadn't even thought about that connection. Makes a lot of sense.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2018, 12:31:24 pm »

If he can catch the football, (we know he can run,)  he should stay at Bama.  Surely they can find a slot for him.

Seebs

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2018, 01:21:46 pm »

I don't think I would want him in a Hog jersey, either. The original thought, and why I asked the question, was because of an article I read in response to Hurts comments he made the other day about their QB competition. If I'm not mistaken, both QB's there have indicated, or someone in their family has indicated, they would transfer if they aren't starting. I just thought it was interesting given the past success Morris' offenses have had with QB's who are good runners. I highly respect Otis' opinion on player evaluations, so I posed the question to him.

As for the condescending comments, I said exactly what I thought, and I will leave it at that. I have a good understanding of how recruiting works since I was a college athlete. I also know someone with Hurts resume would have to be recruited just as any other high school senior or JUCO transfer. He isn't just going to fall in your lap without some effort from the coaches because he will be highly coveted, if it comes to that. I also know that if coaches are targeting a grad transfer or two, it impacts how many people they sign.

Unfortunately you won't find me in a sports bar, or any other bar for that matter. I agree that I have never been insulted in person when having these kinds of discussions. I also suspect this Joe Blow would be reluctant to do so in person, as well.

Summary:
This is not about recruiting but continues to be in Recruiting forum - Check
You were a college athlete. Very important to you. Check
Nobody disagrees with you in person or else its Alma Sonic time - Check
You were a college Athlete. - Check
I would be the type of person to not confront in person - Internet tough guy call out - check

As Hog fans, which we both are, though you are a former college athlete hog fan, so more important, but I digress. As Hog fans, we want the best for our team. Hurts is not that and we are miles away from that even being a relevant conversation. 

I do have a better question. so allow me to ask it even though I was not on athletic scholarship in college, just academic. If Hurts transferring here meant KJ Jefferson recanted his commitment  and other dominoes would fall in kind - would that be acceptable?

Let's get linemen so whomever play QB on the Hill gets a chance to thrive instead of being crushed each game day.

Woo Pig. At least let me wear a Hog Hat.

hogfan1981

• Varsity
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2018, 01:36:37 pm »

I do have a better question. so allow me to ask it even though I was not on athletic scholarship in college, just academic. If Hurts transferring here meant KJ Jefferson recanted his commitment  and other dominoes would fall in kind - would that be acceptable?

Let's get linemen so whomever play QB on the Hill gets a chance to thrive instead of being crushed each game day.

I think there is more to it than that. If, and that's a big if, the QB's on campus prove inept this season (which I don't think will happen because there is talent in that group), a decision would have to be made. In that situation, if Hurts was going to transfer, you would have to weigh the pros and cons of a true freshman coming in and starting in the SEC at QB vs the pros and cons of bringing in someone like Hurts for a year or two to allow Jefferson to develop before putting him out there. The right thing to do would be to have a conversation with Jefferson, since he is committed and been nothing but loyal since he committed. If he had any objections and there was the possibility he would rescind his commitment, I would pass on Hurts. Losing Jefferson would be more detrimental at the QB position in the long term vs the benefits of having Hurts for a year or two and losing out on Jefferson. This is just my opinion.

Completely agree on the lineman part. 

King Kong

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2018, 01:43:58 pm »

Woo Pig. At least let me wear a Hog Hat.

Itís really a stupid question. Jefferson will sign in December. Which will be before Hurts graduates.

With the new RS rule. Hurts could easily be the backup and still RS this season. Most believe that will be his course of action

Seebs

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2018, 01:56:30 pm »

Itís really a stupid question. Jefferson will sign in December. Which will be before Hurts graduates.

With the new RS rule. Hurts could easily be the backup and still RS this season. Most believe that will be his course of action
Just trying to fit into the thread man. I will leave you as the authority of stupid questions however. I yield to the floor.

Seebs

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 01:57:28 pm »

I think there is more to it than that. If, and that's a big if, the QB's on campus prove inept this season (which I don't think will happen because there is talent in that group), a decision would have to be made. In that situation, if Hurts was going to transfer, you would have to weigh the pros and cons of a true freshman coming in and starting in the SEC at QB vs the pros and cons of bringing in someone like Hurts for a year or two to allow Jefferson to develop before putting him out there. The right thing to do would be to have a conversation with Jefferson, since he is committed and been nothing but loyal since he committed. If he had any objections and there was the possibility he would rescind his commitment, I would pass on Hurts. Losing Jefferson would be more detrimental at the QB position in the long term vs the benefits of having Hurts for a year or two and losing out on Jefferson. This is just my opinion.

Completely agree on the lineman part. 

I love you as a brother Razorback fan. Nothing cringy.  Woo Pig.

Tick Hog

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2018, 03:54:19 pm »

Iím kind of surprised by the comments here. Hurts is not a great passer and wonít be a NFL QB because of it.

But he is a tremendous college QB that would fit this offense like a glove. He is a good passer, makes good decisions and is a very good runner. 40TD passing to 10 Ints
Nah Bro just read the thread. Weíre set at the position and Hurts doesnít get it done at Bama lol. Iíd like to know what getting it done would be? It doesnít really matter because itís not ever going to happen anyway but yea some of the comments are laughable. I hate Alabama but place Jalen or someone with his same skill set up against anybody we have on campus and itís not even close. I think the OPís question is valid because I donít think we will see Jefferson come in and light things up as a FR in this offense. Iím not sure any FR could. I for one donít think Cole or Ty will be very successful against SEC defenses. That doesnít mean Iím right and I hope Iím wrong. Our younger guys have promise but anyone can go watch the few videos we have of them this fall and see they look like a fish out of water. Too many moving parts and the games too fast for them right now but they will catch on.

jkstock04

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2018, 04:18:02 pm »

Nah Bro just read the thread. Weíre set at the position and Hurts doesnít get it done at Bama lol. Iíd like to know what getting it done would be? It doesnít really matter because itís not ever going to happen anyway but yea some of the comments are laughable. I hate Alabama but place Jalen or someone with his same skill set up against anybody we have on campus and itís not even close. I think the OPís question is valid because I donít think we will see Jefferson come in and light things up as a FR in this offense. Iím not sure any FR could. I for one donít think Cole or Ty will be very successful against SEC defenses. That doesnít mean Iím right and I hope Iím wrong. Our younger guys have promise but anyone can go watch the few videos we have of them this fall and see they look like a fish out of water. Too many moving parts and the games too fast for them right now but they will catch on.
Agree with most of this. A lot of these comments sound like the same kind of mindless spin we have heard the past 5 years.

hoglady

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2018, 04:51:10 pm »

If Hurts was going to leave Bama / he should have left in the spring.
A little late to come into another program now - unless that program has been decimated by QB injuries.

hogfan1981

• Varsity
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2018, 05:22:13 pm »

If Hurts was going to leave Bama / he should have left in the spring.
A little late to come into another program now - unless that program has been decimated by QB injuries.

Well, he wouldn't actually transfer until he graduates in December, which would make him immediately eligible, as a graduate transfer, no matter where he goes. Also, if he doesn't win the starting job this year and doesn't play in more than 4 games, he could use this year as a redshirt since he played as a true freshman. That would leave him with 2 years of eligibility wherever he wound up.

porkrindjimmy

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2018, 05:27:10 pm »

That one has legs. 

Beautiful!!!!

PRJ
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas