• 9,925,296 Posts
• 399,213 Topics
• 22,884 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OLine thoughts  (Read 1784 times)

Hogindasticks

OLine thoughts
« on: August 10, 2018, 09:36:01 pm »

Those guys didnt get that big from running every day.  I am wondering if the problem Coach Morris may have with getting OLine players is that they actually get conditioned for this style of play.  I can see a kid being lazy and going to a different school because of that.  They dont want to work that hard.  Thoughts?

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
Re: OLine thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 09:50:09 pm »

O-line guys work hard . they play in Trenches is hard and nasty . Morris will do fine once players can actually see product on the field . The defense is ahead because everyone knows what Chavis puts on the field and in the NFL.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ArkansasI

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:51:25 pm »

I don't know. But I saw a picture of the Dallas Cowboys offensive line today in shorts and t-shirts. Flat bellies.

LL COOL HOG

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 09:53:20 pm »

Just to clarify, are you referring to both recruits and current players?

Hogindasticks

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 10:00:30 pm »

Just to clarify, are you referring to both recruits and current players?

In general.....i have seen kids that love to play but don't like to prepare hard.  I dont see thats gonna fly with Coach Morris.

snoblind

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 12:42:22 am »

In general.....i have seen kids that love to play but don't like to prepare hard.  I dont see thats gonna fly with Coach Morris.

You were there watching them during all of offseason drills, spring practices, summer drills, and all of fall camp so far?  You know not only how much they worked, but their attitudes about it?

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 12:58:18 am »

OFFS

What's Shakin' Macon

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • My English Mastiff and #1 Hog fan, Maizy
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2018, 01:18:32 am »

Those guys didnt get that big from running every day.  I am wondering if the problem Coach Morris may have with getting OLine players is that they actually get conditioned for this style of play.  I can see a kid being lazy and going to a different school because of that.  They dont want to work that hard.  Thoughts?
That's an oversimplification and a good bit of stereotyping.

If every player in college football left because a coach was demanding they work harder....
You may end up being spot on in the end, we shall see, but for now that's a giant leap on your part.

SooieGeneris

• Senior
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 01:31:38 am »

Do WE really want a bunch of slackers at ANY position? Maybe kicker if they have Steve Little talent, otherwise: hard pass..

hawginbigd1

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 01:59:14 am »

I can see what you are putting down here, its an interesting theory. CM is to my knowledge not known as an OL guru or for putting a bunch in the league etc. So that OL recruit comes in and says ya'll are doing what in the spring and your running this much in the summer, oh wait what's that it's Mizzou calling I'll get back to you. Decision day comes and uhhhhh i think I will go a different direction.

elviscat

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 09:23:08 am »

They get big from their gene pool and diet habits.

ArkansasI

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2018, 09:30:37 am »

I think it is premature to know whether Chad struggles recruiting anyone.  He has a fairly short head coaching resume... Such a rapid ascension is worthy of reserved judgment. 

Hogindasticks

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2018, 08:42:23 pm »

I can see what you are putting down here, its an interesting theory. CM is to my knowledge not known as an OL guru or for putting a bunch in the league etc. So that OL recruit comes in and says ya'll are doing what in the spring and your running this much in the summer, oh wait what's that it's Mizzou calling I'll get back to you. Decision day comes and uhhhhh i think I will go a different direction.

Bingo

Hogindasticks

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2018, 08:43:26 pm »

Pork Twain

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2018, 11:23:15 pm »

First, my condolences to your partner.

Second, I don't think any OL is getting into a P5 school while being too lazy to put in the work.

Third, there are far too many high schools now playing this style for that to be a real concern.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:08:55 am by Pork Twain »

JackJohnson

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 06:26:32 pm »

Letís not pretend we are the only P5 school who doesnít want fat and sloppy OL.  The opposing recruiters are just hammering home the FACT that Fry has never coached or recruited a player who went to the NFL.

Itís great and all that he was part of Morrisí original coaching staff at SMU, but that doesnít mean he is an SEC calibur coach or recruiter.  Sadly we are seeing the recruiting part first hand..

JaketheSnake

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 07:10:35 pm »

You donít become a highly sought after D1 recruit by being lazy. 

A highly rated Ole Miss OT said a few years ago he wanted to play in this same style of offense bc itís not a tough on his body to prolong his potential NFL career. That wasnít being lazy either.

hawginbigd1

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 07:53:40 pm »

Linemen especially OL hate to run, i wouldn't necessarily call it lazy it's more like an allergy if you will. Go back and read some of the spring and off season comments from our current OL, they were surprised and mot prepared for it. I am sure they are happy with their current condition but if you left it up to them i doubt they would do it. So these recruits have several options and i am betting many of them don't have a bunch of flat belly OL because they got the heck run out of them. Like I said it is an interesting theory. Just like the theory that we are missing recruits because our OL  coach has a limited amount of experience.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas