• 9,969,531 Posts
• 400,289 Topics
• 22,941 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1993 Mizzou Game (120-68 Hogs!)  (Read 1046 times)

FullBoar

1993 Mizzou Game (120-68 Hogs!)
« on: August 10, 2018, 08:46:47 pm »

I have seen the postgame press conference from Norm & Nolan, but they appear to have disappeared from the Internet...  Anyone have a link?  I remember being amused by Normís comments...

k.c.hawg

Re: 1993 Mizzou Game (120-68 Hogs!)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 10:02:35 am »

I have seen the postgame press conference from Norm & Nolan, but they appear to have disappeared from the Internet...  Anyone have a link?  I remember being amused by Normís comments...

"After the game, Norm said, 'You've either got a hell of a team or we're just awfully damn bad,' " Richardson said. "I said, 'No Norm, you've got a good team. It was just one of those nights where everything we did was right and everything you did was wrong.' "

"We could have kicked the ball in the basket that night," Richardson said. "Our guys were pumped up to play, and I think the fans were really pumped up as well. Boy, when they threw the ball up, right off the bat we went to work. Everybody we put in the game was knocking down shots."

Richardson offered encouraging words for Missouri and its fans after the game.

"Missouri was not a very good basketball team tonight, but I think they will be," Richardson said. "Sometimes the buzzsaw hits you."

Richardson was right about the Tigers.

A reporter found Stewart at the coaches' hotel in Charlotte to ask him about an Arkansas-Arizona matchup since the teams were meeting in the national semifinals.

"Well, it's hard for me to compare the teams," Stewart said. "Because the night we played Arkansas, the game was in Fayetteville, but our team was in Little Rock."

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

mizzouman

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:44:08 am »

Just one of those nights.  Went 28-4, 14-0 in conference and an elite 8.  That Mizzou team was good, but had a very, very poor night.  Arkansas, on the other hand, played lights out obviously.  Great Arkansas team that year.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 12:34:52 pm »

Just one of those nights.  Went 28-4, 14-0 in conference and an elite 8.  That Mizzou team was good, but had a very, very poor night.  Arkansas, on the other hand, played lights out obviously.  Great Arkansas team that year.

To be honest i was hoping we didn't have to meet them again in the tournament. Don't care for playing anyone after you woodshed them like that. Don't remember if Mizzou laid an egg in the Arizona game or if Arizona just handled them. It was rather lopsided.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 02:23:05 pm »

"After the game, Norm said, 'You've either got a hell of a team or we're just awfully damn bad,' " Richardson said. "I said, 'No Norm, you've got a good team. It was just one of those nights where everything we did was right and everything you did was wrong.' "

"We could have kicked the ball in the basket that night," Richardson said. "Our guys were pumped up to play, and I think the fans were really pumped up as well. Boy, when they threw the ball up, right off the bat we went to work. Everybody we put in the game was knocking down shots."

Richardson offered encouraging words for Missouri and its fans after the game.

"Missouri was not a very good basketball team tonight, but I think they will be," Richardson said. "Sometimes the buzzsaw hits you."

Richardson was right about the Tigers.

A reporter found Stewart at the coaches' hotel in Charlotte to ask him about an Arkansas-Arizona matchup since the teams were meeting in the national semifinals.

"Well, it's hard for me to compare the teams," Stewart said. "Because the night we played Arkansas, the game was in Fayetteville, but our team was in Little Rock."

I was not a Norm fan but I give him credit for his loyalty. He lived and breathed Mizzou.

MikePiazza

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Chicks dig the long ball
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 03:39:12 pm »

No starter played more than 21 minutes. 16 of 25 treys. Just insane against an eventual 1 seed and league champion.

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 07:12:06 pm »

I was at this game and remember it like it was yesterday.
Other than beating Duke in 1994(hard to argue with that one), I would nominate this game as THE classic Arkansas game to watch, if you had to pick just one.

120-68 over an Elite 8 team. Dedication of a new arena. Full house. Everything clicking. Perfect performance.

This is the game.

HogCzar1

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 10:59:39 pm »

I was at this game and remember it like it was yesterday.
Other than beating Duke in 1994(hard to argue with that one), I would nominate this game as THE classic Arkansas game to watch, if you had to pick just one.

120-68 over an Elite 8 team. Dedication of a new arena. Full house. Everything clicking. Perfect performance.

This is the game.

I agree totally. I was also at this game. I would argue it was the best single game performance I have ever seen.
And Missouri had a great team that year. Not sure who could have beaten the Hogs that night.

lstewart

• Senior
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 02:34:24 pm »

I had started a new job at the university that year, and that was our first season to hold season tickets. What a crazy start to an amazing year. That was a fun game!

HognitiveDissonance

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 11:37:50 pm »

I vividly recall leaving the Red-White game in Barnhill in Nov 1993, and thinking things like 'this team has no weaknesses'. Inside game, shooters, guard play, size (the missing piece was size). They had it all, and it was apparent. I'm not going to claim that I predicted a national championship, but I do remember having thoughts leaving Barnhill that night that this was a really, really good team. Even in a glorified pickup game, it was evident.

Then I remember walking over to Bud Walton, which they were putting the finishing touches on, and taking a peek inside the door and just couldn't believe that we were about to embrace an NBA-caliber arena, and I remember being so excited. After attending tournaments in Reunion Arena in Dallas, it was like we were about to have a Reunion Arena...on campus. I just couldn't fathom that.

Actually, after all these years, I'm still impressed with Bud Walton Arena. It's a great arena, and it's aged very well. It still looks new to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas