• 396,405 Topics
• 22,588 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: True non-conf road games  (Read 603 times)

mizzouman

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
True non-conf road games
« on: August 10, 2018, 12:20:53 pm »

Since 2000, Arkansas and Alabama lead the nation in the fewest true non-conf road games at 6.  After this year, Alabama will take over as Arkansas plays at Colorado St.

Of the 6, half of them has been under Bielema.

Interesting.

factchecker

• RAZORBACKS OR NOTHING!
Re: True non-conf road games
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 12:35:12 pm »

For the longest time we had to split our home games between 2 locations.  I could see us playing more non-con road games now that we've settled on a compromise with the Mizzou game.

We already have a series scheduled with Notre Dame.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 12:40:03 pm »

Alabama opens most seasons with a big neutral site game that most programs wouldn't play, so I wouldn't worry about them.

With the SEC's recent requirement for at least 1 power 5 non-con a year, Arkansas will be playing one every other year just like everybody else.

So I'm not sure of the relevance of that fact.

By the way, this is your yearly reminder that Arkansas has not won a major nonconference game in Fayetteville since 1971 (Iowa State).

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 12:53:14 pm »

We started the A&M Dallas series as well.  SO not really looking to do many Home & Homes with people.  This topic has been beaten to death over the last couple of years and resurfaced when Michigan canceled their series. 

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 01:11:00 pm »

We started the A&M Dallas series as well.  SO not really looking to do many Home & Homes with people.  This topic has been beaten to death over the last couple of years and resurfaced when Michigan canceled their series. 
I didn’t realize we had the fewest road games in the country.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 01:20:34 pm »

First 12 game schedule was in 2006.

2008 played at Texas.

Began playing A&M in Dallas in 2009.

Before the 12th game was added, we almost always played 3 home non conference games for the $.  Giving up 1 of 3 cost us when you add on we were playing multiple games in WMS too.  The 12th game opened up the opportunity to add home and home.  Except we got into the series with A&M.  Then of course they joined the SEC.  Since, we have had home and home series with Rutgers, TT, TCU and now Colorado St. 

Is this some kind of B1G whining about SEC schedules? 

Bama plays in the opening weekend neutral site games against nationally branded programs.  LSU does as well having just agreed to 2 games with FSU - New Orleans and Orlando. 

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 01:23:06 pm »

Yeah, this is kind of a useless topic.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 01:26:36 pm »

What was Missouri doing playing at programs like Troy and New Mexico?  Did you get into some situation like we did with Michigan? 

ChicoHog

• RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 02:16:20 pm »

I think it's terrible that most SEC teams don't do home and homes with Power 5 schools.  I think it will change slowly like we are doing with ND and tried with Michigan.  That's what college football needs.  We don't need Alabama vs The Citadel or Arkansas vs Eastern Illinois.  We need compelling games not cupcakes. 

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 02:21:11 pm »

Since 2000, Arkansas and Alabama lead the nation in the fewest true non-conf road games at 6.  After this year, Alabama will take over as Arkansas plays at Colorado St.

Of the 6, half of them has been under Bielema.

Interesting.

Playing a game in Little Rock each season and one in Arlington each season kinda makes not playing non-conference road games a meaningless stat. Few teams other than Arkansas I would suspect don't play a game at neutral site (A&M) each year and then one in another city in their state (Little Rock). I know the LR deal changes now but it hasn't started yet.

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • No, no, no, don't think of it as work.
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 02:29:49 pm »

I think it's terrible that most SEC teams don't do home and homes with Power 5 schools.  I think it will change slowly like we are doing with ND and tried with Michigan.  That's what college football needs.  We don't need Alabama vs The Citadel or Arkansas vs Eastern Illinois.  We need compelling games not cupcakes.

Eh, I'd rather see an Arkansas win in a blowout against Kumquat Valley Tech than an Arkansas loss in a close game against Clemson.

Give me W's before we hit our SEC schedule.

Jborohog09

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Love the Wolves and love the Hogs.
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 02:49:37 pm »

What was Missouri doing playing at programs like Troy and New Mexico?  Did you get into some situation like we did with Michigan? 

They play a lot of home-and-home's with G5's.  Played at A-State in 2015, at Toledo, at Nevada.  They have road games with Wyoming and Memphis coming up, too.

mizzouman

• Hogville.net
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 02:59:58 pm »

Mizzou schedules are jacked up.  Not sure why we would even play a road game at Troy or New Mexico or Nevada, etc.  But we did.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 03:21:18 pm »

The NCAA needs to stop folks like Texas and Michigan from backing out schedules.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 03:26:51 pm »

We need compelling games not cupcakes. 

Why?

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 03:36:13 pm »

Yeah, this is kind of a useless topic.
Arkansas so rarely leads the nation in anything football related, that we have to discuss it when it does happen.

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 03:44:01 pm »

When did we play a road at a G5 school?  Not saying we haven't but I don't remember it.  We have always brought the Tulsa's, W. Monroe's, etc to us to try and beat.  We would step out against a USC west or Stanford some with a home and home but basically, we went for smaller schools and paid them to come to us. 

I believe there was time when Arkansas law required the UofA to play a minimum number of home games annually.  Also a minimum number in Little Rock.  I am not positive this was written into law but there will be someone on the site who will actually know.

The large schools of the 60s and 70s usually played a big name game in a cross country setting, home and home, nearly every year.  Those big regional games were the game carried on TV before the conference season set in.  Neary every school played all their OOC games before starting conference.  Most schools of yesteryear believed they needed the practice against OOC schools to be ready for conference and winning conference was a really big deal.

It is worth remembering that back in the day, we played 10 regular season games and in the case of Arkansas, we had 3 OOC games and 7 conference games annually.  We were able to have onsite roughly 100  quality players.  Now we have 12 games and 85 players and usually 5 to 10 or those are injured or
 for some reason, not available.

I wish each P5 school was allowed to play only one G5 or lower school annually and I think we should get 2 home games and have go to them once.  The theory is that we are helping the smaller schools by paying out big money.  Likely true.  But we are also beating them up, picking on their small numbers and usually less talented teams.  I fully noted that Bret didn't mind hammering a small school with less number but whinned about the HUNH all in the name of safety, of course.  Beating the crap out of a team with far less players, usually smaller and less talented was OK though.

• Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 03:58:23 pm »

When did we play a road at a G5 school?  Not saying we haven't but I don't remember it.  We have always brought the Tulsa's, W. Monroe's, etc to us to try and beat.  We would step out against a USC west or Stanford some with a home and home but basically, we went for smaller schools and paid them to come to us. 

I believe there was time when Arkansas law required the UofA to play a minimum number of home games annually.  Also a minimum number in Little Rock.  I am not positive this was written into law but there will be someone on the site who will actually know.

The large schools of the 60s and 70s usually played a big name game in a cross country setting, home and home, nearly every year.  Those big regional games were the game carried on TV before the conference season set in.  Neary every school played all their OOC games before starting conference.  Most schools of yesteryear believed they needed the practice against OOC schools to be ready for conference and winning conference was a really big deal.

It is worth remembering that back in the day, we played 10 regular season games and in the case of Arkansas, we had 3 OOC games and 7 conference games annually.  We were able to have onsite roughly 100  quality players.  Now we have 12 games and 85 players and usually 5 to 10 or those are injured or
 for some reason, not available.

I wish each P5 school was allowed to play only one G5 or lower school annually and I think we should get 2 home games and have go to them once.  The theory is that we are helping the smaller schools by paying out big money.  Likely true.  But we are also beating them up, picking on their small numbers and usually less talented teams.  I fully noted that Bret didn't mind hammering a small school with less number but whinned about the HUNH all in the name of safety, of course.  Beating the crap out of a team with far less players, usually smaller and less talented was OK though.
I don't think Rutgers had joined the Big 10 when we played there.

HOGINTENNESSEE

• Ryan Mallett: "I don't get nervous"
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 04:03:34 pm »

I don’t care

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 04:12:59 pm »

Mizzou schedules are jacked up.  Not sure why we would even play a road game at Troy or New Mexico or Nevada, etc.  But we did.

Maybe it was because no big name school was interested in a home and home with Mizzery. It's kinda like how you feel about games with Troy, Nevada and New Mexico.

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 04:58:50 pm »

Karma, you are correct.  Rutgers played in the Big East/AAC before joining the Big 10 in 2014.  I didn't catch that., Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas