• 9,923,241 Posts
• 399,168 Topics
• 22,881 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: CFN Drinkiní the Koolaid  (Read 3730 times)

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
CFN Drinkiní the Koolaid
« on: August 10, 2018, 09:05:23 am »

toddfromdesarc

Re: CFN Drinkiní the Koolaid
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 09:08:01 am »

I must be slow cuz I missed where there was any analysis. All I see are a bunch of predictions.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

toddfromdesarc

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:09:10 am »

I am slow. Found it

BBBigChop

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 09:22:51 am »

Good rundown of our situation.  And I agree about TAMU being a "hinge game".  If we win that, all bets are off the rest of the season.

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 09:25:28 am »

Good rundown of our situation.  And I agree about TAMU being a "hinge game".  If we win that, all bets are off the rest of the season.

Agreed. I really believe that Bretís failings against A&M turned the tide on those seasons. Giving up big leads set the tone for more close losses and disastrous second halfs. Itís a huge game.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 09:25:48 am »

im calling 8-4. We beat LSU and Mizzou

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 09:26:37 am »

Great analysis at the embedded link. Pete Fiutak is one of the better writers out there.

HogShat

• Senior
  • Come on in boys! The water is fine!!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 09:35:18 am »

I'll have a glass of that....

rhames

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 09:39:10 am »

Would love for this to happen. I am starting to think more and more as the season approaches LSU could be in shambles by the time we face them. That game is actually starting to worry me less than the Ole Miss game. Still think week 2 will be a struggle.

There are a couple head scratchers on this list. Has SC beating Georgia but losing to Kentucky. While possible I just think Georgia will be too much for a good SC team.

WOOPIGDOOIE

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 09:53:18 am »

Would love for this to happen. I am starting to think more and more as the season approaches LSU could be in shambles by the time we face them. That game is actually starting to worry me less than the Ole Miss game. Still think week 2 will be a struggle.

There are a couple head scratchers on this list. Has SC beating Georgia but losing to Kentucky. While possible I just think Georgia will be too much for a good SC team.

Has LSU beating Georgia also. I just dont see that happening

RyanMallettsEgo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 09:55:19 am »

Also has Ole Miss losing at home to ULM like midway through the season...

But writes this in his Ole Miss preview: "In Southern Illinois, Kent State and ULM, a base of three wins is a lock"

Hmm...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:05:23 am by RyanMallettsEgo »

liljo

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 10:01:58 am »

I slurped it right down. I think the single biggest area of defensive improvement will be:

THIRD DOWN CONVERSION DEFENSE. We'll go from the #121 team to better than #70. How much better?

Anyway, thanks for sharing this. I've only read the Arkansas portion so far, but it was enjoyable.

Steef

• Idylically living in the Valley of the Cats
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 10:04:20 am »

Half of the SEC West has new coaches or 'iffy' coaching situations. That's a wild card no one can predict and to do so is...frankly...a little silly.

We have the added issue of not enough SEC warm bodies and REAL problems on our Oline.

Expectations were for last year and a fifth year coach. He didn't meet them and deservedly was fired.

First year coaches shouldn't be subject to expectations. They should be subject to hope.

rhames

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 10:11:44 am »

Half of the SEC West has new coaches or 'iffy' coaching situations. That's a wild card no one can predict and to do so is...frankly...a little silly.

We have the added issue of not enough SEC warm bodies and REAL problems on our Oline.

Expectations were for last year and a fifth year coach. He didn't meet them and deservedly was fired.

First year coaches shouldn't be subject to expectations. They should be subject to hope.

Good post.

FraggleHog

• My name is on Senior Walk
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 10:19:55 am »

Old fashioned analysis for every SEC team:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collegefootballnews.com/2018/06/2018-preseason-sec-team-by-team-predictions-for-every-game/amp

Arkansas at 7-5, 3-5

Not to be a debbie downer... I would be very happy with 7-5 this season; however I wouldn't exactly call that a "koolaid drinkin' homer" analysis. Any prediction within 5-7 and 7-5 is a very rational prediction for the season.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 11:02:39 am »

Not to be a debbie downer... I would be very happy with 7-5 this season; however I wouldn't exactly call that a "koolaid drinkin' homer" analysis. Any prediction within 5-7 and 7-5 is a very rational prediction for the season.

I agree, but many here believe considering 7-5 as a possibility requires a Koolaid bender.  Here's the traditional approach Fiutak took to his predictions:

"These predictions are different than the SEC Preseason Team Rankings, mainly because the schedules play a big role in all of this."

I don't agree with all of Fiutak's predictions, either.  South Carolina's win over Georgia is a good example of a pretty bold prediction.  So is an LSU win over Georgia, but those are both road games for the Bulldogs.  Fiutak knows how hard it is to win on the road in the SEC, especially when you're playing in a big dog's house like Death Valley.  So why does Fiutak think LSU will win in The Swamp? 

An Arkansas win over LSU looks like an upset special at this point.  LSU's season depends a lot upon how well Joe Burrow performs.  Fiutak obviously thinks he'll do well.  Arkansas's QB situation is also a big question mark.  Fiutak has LSU at 7-2 when they come to Fayetteville, with wins over Miami in Arlington, at Florida, and over Georgia and Mississippi State at home.  I think LSU loses at least two of those and comes into Fayetteville no better than 5-4 off a loss at home to Alabama.  It's Senior Day in Fayetteville, and the Hogs, who are 5-6 against LSU in the last 11 games, are coming off an open date.

Fiitak's overall analysis of Arkansas is also rosy compared to much of the doom and gloom on Hogville.  If Fiutak is right, it's not a stretch to see 8-4 as a possibility, either, given that 10 points separated the Hogs from their opponent at the end of regulation in 2017 losses to A&M, Mississippi State and Missouri.  Fiutak projects all of those games as losses again, and to be fair, none will be played in Arkansas.  5-7 is certainly possible, too, if the Hogs suffer key injuries in places where they are thin, like the O-line and at LB.         

tusked

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 11:14:57 am »

I hope Pete Fiutak knows what he's talking about.  Sounds like a genius but we'll see.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 11:29:35 am »

#hammerdown

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 11:43:38 am »

I must be slow cuz I missed where there was any analysis. All I see are a bunch of predictions.

Click on the Arkansas link

RyeHogFan

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 11:43:57 am »

I would actually say that every West team apart from Bama and Auburn has coaches categorized as new or iffy.

Arkansas- Morris (new) rebuilding, new system might take a few years to fully implement though we could get a few upsets this year.
LSU-Orgeron (iffy) still hasn't proven he can win consistently
Miss St.-Moorhead (new) walking into good situation this year. True test will be how his teams do in the next few years.
Ole Miss-Luke (new/iffy) Interim last year, official this year. Still yet to really prove anything. Might be after sanctions are over before he can really get going.
Texas A&M-Fisher (new) Of the group, he has by far the most success with a national title, but he also underachieved quite a bit. Remains to be seen how the pro-style will work at A&M. Didn't work out too well for Mike Sherman.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 11:56:01 am »

Well said! For the record, no matter how many games the Hogs win or lose, I won't be calling for Morris's head. I'll just say "let's get ready for next year". Calling for the head coach's head after only 1 year is ridiculous.

Dark Helmet Hog

• Now let's see how well you handle it...
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 12:07:09 pm »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/collegefootballnews.com/2018/06/2018-preseason-sec-team-by-team-predictions-for-every-game/amp

Arkansas at 7-5, 3-5

I think it's mostly fair but we will not lose to Missouri this year.

KlubhouseKonnected

• OOOOhh, GOOD FOR YOU!
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 12:33:55 pm »

Well said.

Last yearís offensive line play was miserable and it was clear to me in the first game that we were likely in for a very long, unpleasant season. This yearís line has even fewer tools, so we have to hope that coaching can overcome a significant personnel disadvantage

TM Hog

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 01:56:45 pm »

I still don't buy that we will NEVER out recruit Bama, LSU or Auburn.  Our basketball team had the #1 recruiting class in 1995 I believe. Baseball has had a top 5 recruiting class.  Why can't that happen in football? It will if we ever start winning big again!

#hammerdown

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2018, 02:03:18 pm »

I still don't buy that we will NEVER out recruit Bama, LSU or Auburn.  Our basketball team had the #1 recruiting class in 1995 I believe. Baseball has had a top 5 recruiting class.  Why can't that happen in football? It will if we ever start winning big again!

I agree it COULD happen. However in football you sign a lot more players.  So top to bottom it is hard to overcome rural area recruiting.

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 02:04:48 pm »

Proximity to talent is a big deal, but Oklahoma recruits well to Norman so it is possible.

FraggleHog

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 02:06:37 pm »

Look at the state of Arkansas. What D1 athletes do we produce the most of? Baseball and Basketball. Gotta capitalize major with the few Blue Chip HS Football recruits that do come out of the state (which, btw I do think CCM will improve on).

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 02:08:02 pm »

I think it's mostly fair but we will not lose to Missouri this year.

But why?

rhames

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 02:08:50 pm »

How many players does the basketball team sign.......how many does the football?

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 02:13:35 pm »

Arkansas at 7-5, 3-5

I see they still believe in the BAMA Hangover. Cause they got us beating LSU the next week after they play Bama.

BBBigChop

• Walk-On
Re: CFN Drinkin’ the Koolaid
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2018, 02:16:07 pm »

I know where you're coming from.

My response to your question is that Bama, LSU, and Auburn have put most (if not all) of their eggs in having an elite football program, thus pretty much making the other 2 major sports (especially baseball) not much more than an afterthought.

For instance, Alabama's baseball team finished last in the SEC-w the past 2 seasons.  Obviously, the Tide faithful and PTB could care less.

I don't know what Arkansas' "recruiting ceiling" is, but I'm as likely to fly to the moon and back this week as Arkansas is to ever out-recruit Bammer.

Auburn and LSU are a different story, IMO.  I think with enough stability at the top of the program for an extended time, Arkansas could beat those teams on the recruiting trail.

Regardless, it's important to understand we don't have to beat them in recruiting to beat them on the gridiron.  We just need to close the gap in talent, then let coaching take over.

That's why I'm excited about Morris.  I think he's the man for Arkansas.  This from a guy who never thought the former guy would work here.

bigred223

• Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 02:20:39 pm »

Wildhog

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2018, 02:21:42 pm »

FraggleHog

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2018, 02:24:19 pm »

I know where you're coming from.

My response to your question is that Bama, LSU, and Auburn have put most (if not all) of their eggs in having an elite football program, thus pretty much making the other 2 major sports (especially baseball) not much more than an afterthought.

For instance, Alabama's baseball team finished last in the SEC-w the past 2 seasons.  Obviously, the Tide faithful and PTB could care less.

I don't know what Arkansas' "recruiting ceiling" is, but I'm as likely to fly to the moon and back this week as Arkansas is to ever out-recruit Bammer.

Auburn and LSU are a different story, IMO.  I think with enough stability at the top of the program for an extended time, Arkansas could beat those teams on the recruiting trail.

Regardless, it's important to understand we don't have to beat them in recruiting to beat them on the gridiron.  We just need to close the gap in talent, then let coaching take over.

That's why I'm excited about Morris.  I think he's the man for Arkansas.  This from a guy who never thought the former guy would work here.

This is where I stopped reading...

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2018, 02:28:37 pm »

Bret isn't our coach anymore.

Oh, got it. Can't beat that.

BBBigChop

• Walk-On
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 02:36:29 pm »

This is where I stopped reading...

Good catch.  But I believe the gist of my point still stands.

Football is king in America today, IMHO.  (I can't back that up with stats.  Maybe some of you can prove me wrong.  If so, have fun with that.)

Thus, most schools (particularly in the SEC) are most focused on winning in football.

Again, JMO.  Now let me have it with the stats.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 02:39:30 pm »

Arkansas at 7-5, 3-5
Beating LSU is a strong maybe but wonder why no one is giving us a chance or at least predicting a win against A&M after them probable losing to Clemson on week 2 and Bama the week before they play us.   I can see them getting a little banged up after those loses giving us at least a chance.

I think Kentucky will be better and Tn worse than what they say.   Also why will A&M beat Ms St on the road?   Lots of guesses going on.     Especially late in the year when no one can predict injuries.

Rocket23

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 02:45:29 pm »

The big component to being successful at recruiting is winning.  If you win consistently, they will come.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 02:50:33 pm »

Beating LSU is a strong maybe but wonder why no one is giving us a chance or at least predicting a win against A&M after them probable losing to Clemson on week 2 and Bama the week before they play us.   I can see them getting a little banged up after those loses giving us at least a chance.

The Force is strong with the Aggies.

I donít get it, either, but most people probably have a hard time getting past our current six game losing streak in the series.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2018, 02:54:52 pm »

It was implied.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2018, 04:50:43 pm »

Arkansas at 7-5, 3-5

I'll go with us being 3-0 to start the season. Probably some sluggishness on offense as they learn, the defense gains confidence and plays well.

Then Auburn, A&M and Alabama. We could lose all three...might go 1-2. All depends on how well A&M weathers the Clemson and Alabama storms. They do have a bit of a breather between Clemson and Alabama with a game against La-Monroe in College Station.

I know a lot of folks are picking Ole Miss last in the West but I think they may surprise some people. They return the 2nd most career starts in the West on their O-Line, which should help. Their QB may very well be more talented than the one that left. They do lose 70% of their RB rushing yards form LY but they return 83% (2,661 of 3,203) of their receiving yards from LY. Their front 7 return about 49% of their starts from LY about half their Tackles and TFL and a hair over 1/3 of their Sacks. but they return everyone in their Secondary except 1 player who had a single start LY.

We should still beat Ole Miss if our defense is still feeling their oats in game 7. It's just a week after Alabama, so we will see. That game is in WMS.

I think we win the next 2, Tulsa and Vandy and then have an open date leading into the LSU game.

It's hard to say what LSU will produce. I think they are a huge question mark, but by the time we reach game 9, many of those questions will be answered and we will have a better idea of what we are facing. My guess at this point is that we lose to LSU, lose to Miss State and win at Missouri.

I'm sticking with 7 wins in the regular season, maybe even 8...maybe. My opinion is a little different than that of CFN but it's still just another opinion.

And of course all of that is dependent upon the O-Line really coming on and beginning to gel in the first 3 games and this team as a whole avoiding a rash of injuries to starters and back-ups. Continue to have those and all bets are off.

oldbooniehog

• Testing...testing
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2018, 09:46:22 pm »

Just to be clear.

CFN picks Hogs 6th out of 7 in SEC West and that's "drinkin' the koolaid?"

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2018, 10:00:03 pm »

The Force is strong with the Aggies.

I don’t get it, either, but most people probably have a hard time getting past our current six game losing streak in the series.
There might also be some concern about the psyche of the team after the Auburn game, which will be one tough hill to climb.

rtr

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2018, 10:07:27 pm »

Sometimes you need a lil' bit of Kool-Aid. 

rtr

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2018, 10:08:57 pm »

I think we beat Mississippi State and are more likely to lose to Mizzou. Contrarian, yes i know.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2018, 10:31:34 pm »

There might also be some concern about the psyche of the team after the Auburn game, which will be one tough hill to climb.

Probably not as tough as the hill A&M has to climb September 22.  Two weeks after they play Clemson. 

Al Boarland

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2018, 06:32:29 am »

That's a solid record. Good enough for 6th in the West.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2018, 06:43:05 am »

Just to be clear.

CFN picks Hogs 6th out of 7 in SEC West and that's "drinkin' the koolaid?"

No, he thinks predicting a 7-5 record is drinkin' the Koolaid.

TNRazorbacker

« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2018, 07:21:27 am »

Think the weak schedule provides a decent opportunity for a good season that by all indicators wouldn't be that likely otherwise. Kinda stinks that we are getting this schedule in a down year though, really just pushing the ceiling up a bit from poor to potentially decent. In a year of strength this kind of schedule could be a ticket to Atlanta or a top tier bowl at minimum.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2018, 08:07:30 am »

No, he thinks predicting a 7-5 record is drinkin' the Koolaid.

You must be new to the board.  I was being sarcastic.  I'm one of the unrealistic sunshine pumpers living in the past.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas